Week 3 Reaction Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Week 3 Reaction Thread

Post by Nunin »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Dude, with all due respect, what is your fixation with Kyle Sloter? Did you go to high school with him or something?

You don't "see what a quarterback has" in the middle of the season. This isn't baseball, where you can put a guy at shortstop for a few games to see if he implodes. This is the quarterback position, the most important position on the field, the position you simply can't cover up. Turning it over to a guy who played exactly one year of college ball at a Big Sky school just to see what he's got? That tells the rest of the team, "You all are guinea pigs in the great football experiment of seeing whether this small-school guy can actually play. Thank you for risking your career and your health, but, well, we're not actually trying to win." Veteran players get royally PI$$ED when management does that. And you get a bad reputation around the league. Free agents don't want to play for you if they don't think management is committed to winning.

If Kyle Sloter is going to be an NFL quarterback, he's going to have to prove himself the way Adam Thielen did -- by busting his butt on the practice squad and earning his place.

i feel a bit like you've taken my opinion out of context.

i don't feel like i have a fixation on Sloter. i do have a concern that this current GM and FO has a penchant for relying on seriously injured players to play important positions. left tackle, right tackle, center, now possibly QB.

anytime i've posted in regards to Sloter as a possibility it has been with the caveat that neither Bradford or TB recover and, until this last game, that keenum was a non-starter. i am open to rethink that position though. obviously, that would not be known until later in the season...obviously. the question was, would they stick with keenum even if he was getting nowhere significant in terms of playoff a run, or would they throw the rookie out there...in that case?

i find you to be very condescending, Bob....with all due repsect.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Nunin wrote:i feel a bit like you've taken my opinion out of context.

i don't feel like i have a fixation on Sloter. i do have a concern that this current GM and FO has a penchant for relying on seriously injured players to play important positions. left tackle, right tackle, center, now possibly QB.

anytime i've posted in regards to Sloter as a possibility it has been with the caveat that neither Bradford or TB recover and, until this last game, that keenum was a non-starter. i am open to rethink that position though. obviously, that would not be known until later in the season...obviously. the question was, would they stick with keenum even if he was getting nowhere significant in terms of playoff a run, or would they throw the rookie out there...in that case?

i find you to be very condescending, Bob....with all due repsect.
Sorry for your perception. It's not what I'm doing.

It's just that you continue to call for the team to see what they have in Kyle Sloter, and I just don't understand. I've been around message boards for a long time, and in my experience, when someone keeps beating the drum on a marginal player, that person usually has a personal interest. Forgive my sarcasm, but that was the basis for the question. Do you have a personal interest?

This young man played exactly one year of college football at Northern Colorado. He had a great preseason for Denver, no doubt. But it was preseason, and he was the third or fourth quarterback, playing against other fringe players. It could be that he has some talent, but it wouldn't make any sense to throw him out there unless there were absolutely no other options.

And what I said earlier should answer your question ... no, they wouldn't throw him out there. It's just not what NFL teams do. Guys are risking their careers, and they're not going to do it just to see what they have in an untested rookie. Now, if he shows great things in practice, and he earns that chance, and others aren't available, then great. But Case Keenum, for example, has started 26 NFL games. He's the all-time leading passer in NCAA history for yardage and touchdowns. Since losing his first 8 starts, he has a winning record as a starter. There is nothing to indicate that he would fall behind Kyle Sloter on the depth chart for any reason. And if there's nothing to indicate that Sloter would leapfrog Keenum, then there's even less to indicate he'd leapfrog Sam Bradford, who is being paid $18 million, or Teddy Bridgewater, who has won a division title with this team. The chances are very slim that neither of them will recover. All reports are that Teddy is all but ready now but can't be activated until after Week 6. Sam has a bone bruise. Those heal.

That's not condescending, my friend. Those are facts. That's what we do here, or at least it's what I do. I give opinions based on facts. The Vikings didn't sign Kyle Sloter to be the starting quarterback this year, and perhaps not any year. They signed him as a developmental project. Could he turn into Tony Romo? Sure. But even Tony Romo didn't become Tony Romo his first year.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I dont get the infatuation with Sloter either. He was a practice squad QB we picked up because of an injury. It's not like we drafted this guy in the 3rd round. First and foremost, we need to win. And if Keenum can do that while Sam is out, he is the starter. If he absolutely implodes then yeah, we probably have to get Sloter in but until then, Keenum is the guy. We arent 0-3 and tanking. We're 2-1 and had some very impressive wins. Sloter can continue holding his clipboard
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I dont get the infatuation with Sloter either. He was a practice squad QB we picked up because of an injury. It's not like we drafted this guy in the 3rd round. First and foremost, we need to win. And if Keenum can do that while Sam is out, he is the starter. If he absolutely implodes then yeah, we probably have to get Sloter in but until then, Keenum is the guy. We arent 0-3 and tanking. We're 2-1 and had some very impressive wins. Sloter can continue holding his clipboard

There was a recent article about the four current Vikings QB's, stating that Sloter is considered a "coveted developmental quarterback". So, for the time being, let's let him develop and see what happens down the road.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PsyDanny wrote:
There was a recent article about the four current Vikings QB's, stating that Sloter is considered a "coveted developmental quarterback". So, for the time being, let's let him develop and see what happens down the road.
I have yet to see any article on him so I'll have to check it out but either way, we're 2-1 and we need to play the guy that gives us the best chance to win and thats Case Keenum
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I dont get the infatuation with Sloter either. He was a practice squad QB we picked up because of an injury. It's not like we drafted this guy in the 3rd round. First and foremost, we need to win. And if Keenum can do that while Sam is out, he is the starter. If he absolutely implodes then yeah, we probably have to get Sloter in but until then, Keenum is the guy. We arent 0-3 and tanking. We're 2-1 and had some very impressive wins. Sloter can continue holding his clipboard
He has an incredible story. He was the highest rated QB in the preseason. Denver fans wanted him to compete for #1. He's 6' 5", athletic and a gunslinger. I wouldn't throw him into the fire but with grooming, I think he can be special.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

808vikingsfan wrote: He has an incredible story. He was the highest rated QB in the preseason. Denver fans wanted him to compete for #1. He's 6' 5", athletic and a gunslinger. I wouldn't throw him into the fire but with grooming, I think he can be special.
OK, all the talk about this kid has prompted me to do some more research.

It's an interesting story. I wouldn't call it incredible, but interesting. He was overlooked by NFL scouts. That's totally understandable. He played 10 college games. He was ready to become a financial advisor when the Broncos and some others discovered him. He had a great preseason, but the Broncos apparently thought the reincarnation of Brock Osweiler was a better option than this kid.

The Vikings obviously think highly of him. They're paying him $20,000 a week, which is about three times the normal practice squad salary (it's also why he's not on Denver's PS right now). I watched his preseason plays on YouTube. He's definitely got a good arm ... I read that he has top-5 velocity in the NFL right now at something like 58 mph, and the tape bears it out. He's also pretty fast at just under 4.6 in the 40. He can deliver the ball on the run going either direction. Doesn't have good footwork at this point, but that's not surprising given that he has only one year playing the position. I liked how he kept his eyes downfield when he broke the pocket.

Keep in mind, while his level of performance during the preseason was excellent, it was against 3rd and 4th string players, many of whom did not make their rosters, and he saw the vanilla defenses you typically see in preseason. But he definitely has the tools to be a good QB, and I'm glad the Vikings enticed him to come to Minnesota. I think throwing him out there before his ready would not only be bad for the Vikings, it would be bad for Kyle Sloter.

I would love to see Kyle Sloter develop into a quality NFL quarterback. He's just not ready now.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: OK, all the talk about this kid has prompted me to do some more research.

It's an interesting story. I wouldn't call it incredible, but interesting. He was overlooked by NFL scouts. That's totally understandable. He played 10 college games. He was ready to become a financial advisor when the Broncos and some others discovered him. He had a great preseason, but the Broncos apparently thought the reincarnation of Brock Osweiler was a better option than this kid.

The Vikings obviously think highly of him. They're paying him $20,000 a week, which is about three times the normal practice squad salary (it's also why he's not on Denver's PS right now). I watched his preseason plays on YouTube. He's definitely got a good arm ... I read that he has top-5 velocity in the NFL right now at something like 58 mph, and the tape bears it out. He's also pretty fast at just under 4.6 in the 40. He can deliver the ball on the run going either direction. Doesn't have good footwork at this point, but that's not surprising given that he has only one year playing the position. I liked how he kept his eyes downfield when he broke the pocket.

Keep in mind, while his level of performance during the preseason was excellent, it was against 3rd and 4th string players, many of whom did not make their rosters, and he saw the vanilla defenses you typically see in preseason. But he definitely has the tools to be a good QB, and I'm glad the Vikings enticed him to come to Minnesota. I think throwing him out there before his ready would not only be bad for the Vikings, it would be bad for Kyle Sloter.

I would love to see Kyle Sloter develop into a quality NFL quarterback. He's just not ready now.
I posted this article a while back.. I still think he's had a pretty incredible journey.

The Surreal Story of 2017 NFL Draft QB Prospect Kyle Sloter
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

808vikingsfan wrote:I posted this article a while back.. I still think he's had a pretty incredible journey.

The Surreal Story of 2017 NFL Draft QB Prospect Kyle Sloter
Interesting. Lotta unfortunate circumstances for this kid. One thing I can say ... after looking deeper into his abilities, I'm definitely rooting for him. His arm is legitimate, and he's got good mobility. He also is obviously dedicated to his craft, given all the film study they talked about in this article. He's actually in a good situation. There's no telling what's going to happen with Bradford or Bridgewater, so things could open up for him at some point. He just needs to learn and grow.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
beerfan
Backup

Post by beerfan »

One thing that sticks out to me when watching film on Sloter is his release. He seems to take the ball further back then most QBs and probably has a slower release. He does have impressive arm talent, id just be worried that his release would cause more than normal trouble with fumbles/bad throws from getting hit.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

beerfan wrote:One thing that sticks out to me when watching film on Sloter is his release. He seems to take the ball further back then most QBs and probably has a slower release. He does have impressive arm talent, id just be worried that his release would cause more than normal trouble with fumbles/bad throws from getting hit.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
I always loved when Cunningham threw the ball for that reason. It was a big windup, but it was very accurate.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I was thinking about this the other day, with Sloter as backup, who runs the scout team? I don't think they picked up a QB for the practice squad.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

S197 wrote:I was thinking about this the other day, with Sloter as backup, who runs the scout team? I don't think they picked up a QB for the practice squad.
Leidner?

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Leidner?

He was cut
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

S197 wrote: He was cut
I know but they could bring him back.