THIS DAY IN VIKING HISTORY

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Sept171961
Practice Squad

THIS DAY IN VIKING HISTORY

Post by Sept171961 »

Here are the answers to the last set of questions. Thank you for reading and responding!
Earsell Mackbee
Ricky Young
Greg Landry
John Gilliam
Onterrio Smith

September 27, 1970
Vikings 26 Saints 0
A Viking defensive back from Pitt recovers a blocked punt in the end zone for a touchdown. He was an original Viking and a #5 pick in Minnesota's first draft. He played only with the Vikings (1961-1972) and is among the 50 Greatest Vikings. His 40 interceptions put him at #3 on the all-time franchise list. He died in Woodbury last month at the age of 77. Can you name him?

September 28, 1969
Vikings 52 Colts 14
Joe Kapp ties an NFL record with 7 touchdown passes. 2 of them go to Minnesota's first true deep threat, who had been a 2-time All-American at Michigan State. He was a 1st round draft pick and a 2-time Pro Bowler with Minnesota (1967-1972) and he played in Minnesota's first Super Bowl. He is among the 50 Greatest Vikings and he went on to a long career locally with 3M while living in Wayzata. Can you name him?

September 29, 1985
Vikings 27 at Bills 20
Tommy Kramer has a 15-yard scoring pass to a small but quick wide-out from Missouri (1981-1989), who made 182 catches for Minnesota.
He went on to serve as Viking Director of Player Development (1992-2005) and is currently an Associate Athletic Director for the Gophers.
Can you name him?

September 30, 2001
Vikings 20 Buccaneers 16
The game is saved when a defensive back from Kentucky makes an interception at the Viking 5-yard line in the final minute. He was a #3 draft pick but just played 3 years in the NFL (2001-2003), all with Minnesota. Can you name him?
The victim of the theft was a former Viking quarterback who went on to be a Super Bowl champion. Can you name him?

October 1, 1978
Vikings 24 at Buccaneers 7
One Viking score comes on a 16-yard return of a blocked field goal by a linebacker who had been a #1 draft pick out of UCLA. He played only with Minnesota (1974-1985) and helped the team reach 2 Super Bowls. He later went on to a law career with a Minneapolis firm. He died of ALS and was also a CTE victim. Can you name him?
The Buccaneer quarterback yielded 3 interceptions but also went on to be a Super Bowl champion. Can you name him?

October 2, 1977
Vikings 19 Packers 7
The Vikings yield an early score on a 95-yard pass play. The quarterback was a Kansas State product who stands at #4 in all major franchise statistical categories. Can you name him?
Minnesota gets the clinching score with 6:00 left on a plunge by a 6', 235 pound fullback from North Carolina (1976-1978). He came to the Vikings from the 49ers. He was a part-timer with Minnesota, gaining 356 yards with a 4.3 yards per carry average. Can you name him?
S197
Fenrir

Re: THIS DAY IN VIKING HISTORY

Post by S197 »

I think this trivia brings a nice and interesting wrinkle to the board. Thanks for doing this. One suggestion, you may want to put the date in your title as using the same title over and over will make it hard to search for down the road.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

The one from 1985 was Leo Lewis. Is fhe one from 2001 Charles Gordon?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Another good one if you don't mind my adding,

2009 was a magical year for the Vikings. Especially when "The Minneapolis Miracle" happened when the Vikings drove 80 on the final drive yards to defeat the 49ers 27-24. Who caught the the game winning TD?
Sept171961
Practice Squad

Post by Sept171961 »

S197 wrote:I think this trivia brings a nice and interesting wrinkle to the board. Thanks for doing this. One suggestion, you may want to put the date in your title as using the same title over and over will make it hard to search for down the road.
Yes. This can easily be done. Thank you for the encouragement!
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Dmizzle0 wrote:Another good one if you don't mind my adding,

2009 was a magical year for the Vikings. Especially when "The Minneapolis Miracle" happened when the Vikings drove 80 on the final drive yards to defeat the 49ers 27-24. Who caught the the game winning TD?
Oh one of the first ones I've known. Greg Lewis. Who Favre didn't even know was on the team, he just saw purple and threw the ball.
Sept171961
Practice Squad

Post by Sept171961 »

Dmizzle0 wrote:Another good one if you don't mind my adding,

That was Greg Lewis. It may have been his only catch of the year. I was watching the 4th quarter of that game in a bar at the San Francisco airport, surrounded by 49er fans while wearing a Minnesota shirt. I took some abuse as the minutes wound down, but when Lewis made that catch and the call was confirmed, the place emptied in no time. The previous day, the Gophers won at Northwestern so it was a great weekend all around!
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Still one one of my favorite game clips to look at. I always considered it a great birthday gift from the Vikings. :lol: