Vikings Message Board.Com
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/

Week 2 reaction thread
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29935
Page 2 of 3

Author:  VikingPaul73 [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

https://www.google.com/search?biw=414&bih=628&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=3qO_Wb_JC8uC0wLRvJGIBg&q=bend+the+knee+shirt&oq=bend+the+knee+ts&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.1.0.0i10i24k1.57115.58083.0.60014.3.3.0.0.0.0.121.350.0j3.3.0....0...1.1.64.mobile-gws-img..0.3.349...0j0i67k1.0.34q7Um8kBNI

I'm going to buy this and send it to Mckinnons locker :smilevike:

Author:  PurpleMustReign [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

I think the STs are hurting the team too. Losing Patterson is an enormous loss and I think the Vikings didn't properly understand what he meant to the team. Just because someone is fast doesn't mean they can return kicks. I would hope they are telling mckinnon to kneel on the damn ball from now on.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Author:  beerfan [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Who cares if Mckinnon runs the ball out and we end up starting 7 or 8 yds further back? Its worth the opportunity for a big play even if we havent had any from it yet. Ive heard too many people complaining about it just because the announcers kept bringing it up.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Author:  PurpleMustReign [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

beerfan wrote:
Who cares if Mckinnon runs the ball out and we end up starting 7 or 8 yds further back? Its worth the opportunity for a big play even if we havent had any from it yet. Ive heard too many people complaining about it just because the announcers kept bringing it up.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
Starting all of your drives at the 10 yard line and maybe having one decent return does not justify him running everything out. They are given a free 25 yards, there is no reason for him to bring something out from 8+ deep.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Author:  J. Kapp 11 [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

PurpleMustReign wrote:
I think the STs are hurting the team too. Losing Patterson is an enormous loss and I think the Vikings didn't properly understand what he meant to the team. Just because someone is fast doesn't mean they can return kicks. I would hope they are telling mckinnon to kneel on the damn ball from now on.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I think you might see that happen. After one of his returns, Zimmer was seriously hot and was yelling at a coach. Guessing it was Priefer.

Author:  Pondering Her Percy [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

808vikingsfan wrote:
Was Treadwell in because he and Keenum have some chemistry playing with the #2s or is he finally going to get some quality playing time?

Love the way Cook runs.

I'm not very disappointed in the loss. It would have been nice to steal a win today but at least this loss in against the AFC. I'd sit Bradford next week too. They're going to need him in weeks 4-6 (DET,CHI,GB).


Treadwell has been the #3 since day 1 of the offseason

Author:  PurpleMustReign [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:
Was Treadwell in because he and Keenum have some chemistry playing with the #2s or is he finally going to get some quality playing time?

Love the way Cook runs.

I'm not very disappointed in the loss. It would have been nice to steal a win today but at least this loss in against the AFC. I'd sit Bradford next week too. They're going to need him in weeks 4-6 (DET,CHI,GB).


Treadwell has been the #3 since day 1 of the offseason
Treadwell is actually really good at run blocking. I really hope he pans out for the team because we all know they need blocking help.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Author:  Pondering Her Percy [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

VikingPaul73 wrote:
Average teams look good at home against bad teams and look bad on the road against good teams


Disagree 1000%. We went from having a fully healthy roster at home to our QB being out on the road. Did you expect us to look "good" yesterday with Keenum in?? Let me know how the Packers look without Rodgers. Or the Falcons look without Ryan. On the road no less. That does not one bit mean they are an average team. We went from a 71+% completion percentage team down to a 54% completion percentage team. That alone shows how much better Bradford is than Keenum. You cant sustain drives completing 54% of your passes. Man some of the comments I see on here at times really make me scratch my head. Especially when we lose

Quote:
And seriously this could be the worst ST I've seen. Illegal formation on FG defense ?? Seriously ? How does that even happen in the NFL? And Jet , please just kneel!!! It's painful watching him take it 9 yards deep out to the 15 time and time again. Just brutal


Agreed. I was really hard on Priefer about 4-5 years ago. Then cooled down because guys like CP, Sherels and Walsh (for a short stint) made him look good. For him to sit down and watch the last game and obviously not tell Jet to start taking a knee baffles me. He's not CP. Nowhere close. Take a knee. Either way, I've always thought Priefer was overrated as a coach

Quote:
And I really really hope Brock can pick up the defense quickly. Watching Trae'bust getting burned is getting old quickly


Trae'bust? Really? I'd rather not go down that road with you. Moving on.....

Author:  mansquatch [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

To me this is a game that shows the importance of competitive QB play. We lost because of penalties more than anything else. Despite giving up 14 points in the first half, we held Big Ben to something like 87 yards of passing in that half. Get rid of the penalties and we are in that game.

However, just like last season with the OL, the drop off between SB and Keenum was so severe that the teams margin for error ends up being close to zero.

I'm sure only having a week getting part time snaps didn't help either. Next week Keenum should be better assuming Bradford's knee continues to be an issue.

Not much more to say IMO, most of this game was just a crappy roll of the dice at the QB position. We knew PIT would score it's points and make some plays. Our defense was respectable in it's performance against an elite offense. We needed our offense to hold up it's end of the bargain to win this game and they just couldn't do it. Outside of a horseshoe like a defensive or ST score we were DOA.

Author:  Pondering Her Percy [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

mansquatch wrote:
To me this is a game that shows the importance of competitive QB play. We lost because of penalties more than anything else. Despite giving up 14 points in the first half, we held Big Ben to something like 87 yards of passing in that half. Get rid of the penalties and we are in that game.

However, just like last season with the OL, the drop off between SB and Keenum was so severe that the teams margin for error ends up being close to zero.

I'm sure only having a week getting part time snaps didn't help either. Next week Keenum should be better assuming Bradford's knee continues to be an issue.

Not much more to say IMO, most of this game was just a crappy roll of the dice at the QB position. We knew PIT would score it's points and make some plays. Our defense was respectable in it's performance against an elite offense. We needed our offense to hold up it's end of the bargain to win this game and they just couldn't do it. Outside of a horseshoe like a defensive or ST score we were DOA.


Agreed well said

Author:  halfgiz [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
I'm not going to put much of this game on the OL. There were so many drop backs where Keenum just kept going backwards and not stepping up into the pocket so Pitts DEs were just rushing way outside to where our tackles couldn't reach them. That should be easy if we had a QB that would step up into the pocket



Arif Hasan
@ArifHasanNFL
2h
Replying to @PFF
Reiff allowed four hurries, Remmers allowed four hurries and a sack, Easton allowed a hurry and two hits, Berger 2 hurries, Elflein 1 hurry

Case Keenum had 46% of his dropbacks come under pressure, according to @PFF - and had a QB rating of 46.9 on them. QB rating of 80.7 with clean pocket.

Also I have problem in the beginning of the game...We was playing to survive not to win.
Once they opened things up we started moving the ball.

Author:  autobon7 [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

mansquatch wrote:
To me this is a game that shows the importance of competitive QB play. We lost because of penalties more than anything else. Despite giving up 14 points in the first half, we held Big Ben to something like 87 yards of passing in that half. Get rid of the penalties and we are in that game.

However, just like last season with the OL, the drop off between SB and Keenum was so severe that the teams margin for error ends up being close to zero.

I'm sure only having a week getting part time snaps didn't help either. Next week Keenum should be better assuming Bradford's knee continues to be an issue.

Not much more to say IMO, most of this game was just a crappy roll of the dice at the QB position. We knew PIT would score it's points and make some plays. Our defense was respectable in it's performance against an elite offense. We needed our offense to hold up it's end of the bargain to win this game and they just couldn't do it. Outside of a horseshoe like a defensive or ST score we were DOA.


Agree as well......I would like to add that some of the issues we saw yesterday is directly related to coaching such as the special teams play.

Author:  VikingPaul73 [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

halfgiz wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
I'm not going to put much of this game on the OL. There were so many drop backs where Keenum just kept going backwards and not stepping up into the pocket so Pitts DEs were just rushing way outside to where our tackles couldn't reach them. That should be easy if we had a QB that would step up into the pocket



Arif Hasan
@ArifHasanNFL
2h
Replying to @PFF
Reiff allowed four hurries, Remmers allowed four hurries and a sack, Easton allowed a hurry and two hits, Berger 2 hurries, Elflein 1 hurry

Case Keenum had 46% of his dropbacks come under pressure, according to @PFF - and had a QB rating of 46.9 on them. QB rating of 80.7 with clean pocket.

Also I have problem in the beginning of the game...We was playing to survive not to win.
Once they opened things up we started moving the ball.


Excellent stats. Thanks for posting. Yes Bradford is better than Keenum and perhaps there is some truth to Keenum not stepping up properly in the pocket....but let's be honest, the OL was dominated and blown up yesterday. Yesterday brought back a lot of flashbacks from last year.

Author:  VikingPaul73 [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

mansquatch wrote:
We lost because of penalties more than anything else. Despite giving up 14 points in the first half, we held Big Ben to something like 87 yards of passing in that half. Get rid of the penalties and we are in that game.




Totally misleading because penalties don't always happen in a vacuum.

You can't just discount the PIs as silly penalties because in both cases the CB was burned and it most likely would have been a TD if not for the blatant PI.
So, if not for the penalties, Big Ben would have had 2TDs and 200 yards passing after Trae tackled the Pitt WR well before the ball got there.

The holds also weren't random. Easton was holding because he was consistently getting beaten and holding was his last resort. They weren't ticky tack calls.

I agree on some of the other penalties though...such as the illegal formation on the FG and the BRob offsides. Seriously BRob - you are a veteran and every single person watching knew they weren't going to run the play on 4th and 1 at their own 30 in the 1st qtr, they were just trying to make a fool jump. Both of these penalties were totally preventable and totally inexcusable. And the BRob penalty did continue a drive that ended in 7 points.

Author:  Pondering Her Percy [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

halfgiz wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
I'm not going to put much of this game on the OL. There were so many drop backs where Keenum just kept going backwards and not stepping up into the pocket so Pitts DEs were just rushing way outside to where our tackles couldn't reach them. That should be easy if we had a QB that would step up into the pocket



Arif Hasan
@ArifHasanNFL
2h
Replying to @PFF
Reiff allowed four hurries, Remmers allowed four hurries and a sack, Easton allowed a hurry and two hits, Berger 2 hurries, Elflein 1 hurry

Case Keenum had 46% of his dropbacks come under pressure, according to @PFF - and had a QB rating of 46.9 on them. QB rating of 80.7 with clean pocket.

Also I have problem in the beginning of the game...We was playing to survive not to win.
Once they opened things up we started moving the ball.



Yeah and I'm saying go watch these hurries. Many of them came way outside of the pocket because he kept going backwards

Author:  Nunin [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

i know keenam had little time to prepare...but he as a body of work and is known commidity. you can't teach instincts and he seems to lack them at critical points. which is why he was available...as a backup.

i would much rather have a raw guy with good instincts and coachable flaws than some guy who just doesn't have 'IT'

the vikes are quite there yet...but if sam is screwed...don't waste any time on keenam cause he will not get you a deep playoff run. Throw Sloter out there ASAP if Sam is not the future.

Author:  petev_sj [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

If Detroit loses tonight. That means the NFC North will be O-4 in the 2nd week. And if they lose by 10 points or more, the whole North lost by double digit this week.

Good show NFC north!

Author:  808vikingsfan [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
halfgiz wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
I'm not going to put much of this game on the OL. There were so many drop backs where Keenum just kept going backwards and not stepping up into the pocket so Pitts DEs were just rushing way outside to where our tackles couldn't reach them. That should be easy if we had a QB that would step up into the pocket



Arif Hasan
@ArifHasanNFL
2h
Replying to @PFF
Reiff allowed four hurries, Remmers allowed four hurries and a sack, Easton allowed a hurry and two hits, Berger 2 hurries, Elflein 1 hurry

Case Keenum had 46% of his dropbacks come under pressure, according to @PFF - and had a QB rating of 46.9 on them. QB rating of 80.7 with clean pocket.

Also I have problem in the beginning of the game...We was playing to survive not to win.
Once they opened things up we started moving the ball.



Yeah and I'm saying go watch these hurries. Many of them came way outside of the pocket because he kept going backwards


How does PFF define a hurry? If a QB misses his first open read and then has to scramble and hurry, is that considered hurried and under pressure? Not saying that Keenum did that but he did look much slower than the average starting QB.

Author:  808vikingsfan [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

petev_sj wrote:
If Detroit loses tonight. That means the NFC North will be O-4 in the 2nd week. And if they lose by 10 points or more, the whole North lost by double digit this week.

Good show NFC north!


That's a good thing. Whatever DET does tonight, the Vikings will either be tied for 1st or 2nd in the North.

Author:  dead_poet [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Easton ranks 68 out of 69 for PFF guards.

Author:  S197 [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Some of it is flat out getting beat, some might be on Keenum, but there are other variables as well that we really can't see. Elflein as a rookie calling out the protection is a big one. The fact that it took our coaches an entire training camp and four preseason games before they finally figured out the starters. If I'm not mistaken, Remmers is really the only guy who saw significant 1st team reps at his position. Reiff was injured, Berger played mostly C as did Elfein (but with the 2s), and obviously Boone was the primary starter at guard. So no real shocker they look poor. Hopefully they improve.

I think Priefer also needs a share of the blame. The guy who cut Kluwe to replace him with Locke who was then cut and picked up by another team, only to be cut over a UDFA. Same with Walsh, cut for a guy who missed 3 PAT's last year (only playing like half the year) and has already missed 2 in 2 games. I'm not saying Walsh or Kluwe should have been kept but I think he could have found someone better this offseason than Forbath and Quigley. And then there's Jet "take it out even with your heel 1 inch away from the back of the endzone" McKinnon. Add on a poorly executed fake punt and it's a ST mess.

But above all, those penalties were unacceptable. Line up properly and watch the damn ball instead of the QB cadence is football 101. I'm glad we were able to contain Bell and Brown but that means little when you keep shooting yourself in the foot.

Author:  5thWave [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

I'm interested in the development of TE Blake Bell, but I didn't see the game. Was there any sighting of him on the field?

Author:  dead_poet [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

5thWave wrote:
I'm interested in the development of TE Blake Bell, but I didn't see the game. Was there any sighting of him on the field?


Something like 3 snaps for Bell.

Author:  808vikingsfan [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

dead_poet wrote:
5thWave wrote:
I'm interested in the development of TE Blake Bell, but I didn't see the game. Was there any sighting of him on the field?


Something like 3 snaps for Bell.



B Bell 2 0 11 (Off, Def, ST)

Vikings snap counts vs. Steelers

Author:  soflavike [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Lots of things conspired against us in the Steelers game:

1) Lost our starting QB
2) Playing away, on grass, outdoors
3) Short week after MNF game
4) Vikings wore purple pants (it's a theory of mine)
5) Too many damn penalties at really bad times
6) Bad decisions on Special Teams... McKInnon, learn to take a knee
7) Keenum is slow to read and needs to learn to use the pocket. Hard to pass when back-pedaling
8.) We weren't playing the Saints defense
9) Our pass rush was not getting to Roethlisberger.
10) The Steelers were the better team, on both sides of the ball.

On to the next game. Let's whoop Tampa Bay.

Author:  PurpleMustReign [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Without penalties, you can probably take 10 points a warmly from Pittsburgh. Plus the garbage time points, and the score is 13-9. Our defense played well other than the penalties.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Author:  dead_poet [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Only Russel Wilson was pressured more often than Keenum on Sunday.

Author:  halfgiz [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

dead_poet wrote:
Only Russel Wilson was pressured more often than Keenum on Sunday.

And Wilson has a good set of wheels. He can move.

Yesterday's OL performance reminds me of last year. When you are pressured constantly, I would think it would be hard to have a good game. Especially as a backup.

Author:  CbusVikesFan [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

dead_poet wrote:
Easton ranks 68 out of 69 for PFF guards.

Hs had a terrible game. 2 or 3 penalties and got manhandled most of the game.

Author:  PacificNorseWest [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Week 2 reaction:

:violin:

Page 2 of 3 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/