View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Bradfords knee?? 
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post Re: Bradfords knee??
Norv Zimmer wrote:
I am going to the game this weekend. Me and my buddies will be loud at least the Vikings have that going for them if Sam doesn't play. It will be quiet on offense and loud as heck when we are on defense. If it is case I'm sure he will know by tomorrow and will be much more prepared then he was last week.

I'm flying from NY Saturday to go to the game as well. Where are you guys sitting? Section?

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:46 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

720pete wrote:
This league doesn't even have 32 starting caliber QBs, much less any quality backups. Case Keenum is a great backup, but losing a starting QB is basically a death sentence for any team.

Agreed 100%. Thats why I hate when guys say we "ignore" the backup QB position or our organization can't find a decent one. They don't grow on trees people

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:46 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Demi wrote:
Quote:
i think it's pretty stupid and archaic to use guys that have failed as backups. there are only a select few who are actually capable of keeping your team afloat.

Which is what this team has done for the last decade. Don't worry, the old guy can teach the new guy!

Just beware...a superior talent might not stand up for the national anthem!

:roll:

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:48 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Nunin wrote:

there's a lot being said about keenum not stepping up in the pocket....just like ponder and lots of others filed qbs who lack specific instincts for the position. it seems certain organizations lack similar instinct awareness when addressing the position in the first place.

The thing is, I watched a lot of Rams games last year because my father is a huge Rams fan. I never saw Keenum do this before. I don't know if it was just because of limited reps or what. I mean even Zim mentioned it in his presser that he was dropping too deep. Not sure why he was doing that to be honest.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:51 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Norv Zimmer wrote:
I am going to the game this weekend. Me and my buddies will be loud at least the Vikings have that going for them if Sam doesn't play. It will be quiet on offense and loud as heck when we are on defense. If it is case I'm sure he will know by tomorrow and will be much more prepared then he was last week.

I'm flying from NY Saturday to go to the game as well. Where are you guys sitting? Section?

141 row 7
Ultimate fan zone

Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:10 am
Starting Wide Receiver

Norv Zimmer wrote:

My gf and I will probably be there too. I haven't bought tickets... Waiting for the paycheck lol.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:26 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Inductee

Norv Zimmer wrote:
Norv Zimmer wrote:

141 row 7
Ultimate fan zone

Nice I've never been up there. We are in 111 24 rows back. Its like 30 yard line behind Tampa bench. Pretty solid seats. You guys tailgating before?

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:30 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Norv Zimmer wrote:

My gf and I will probably be there too. I haven't bought tickets... Waiting for the paycheck lol.

Yeah these tickets are pricey if you want good seats. Every year I go I always say, I'm not flying all this way to sit in the nose bleeds. So we always look to get tickets in section 111. They are the best seats for the price IMO. They still run me at about $250 a ticket but I really dont want to spend anymore than that. I can go to a Buffalo game right now for about 75 bucks and sit on the 30

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:33 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

We are staying at the Sheraton in midtown. They have a free shuttle to and from the stadium. I think we plan on getting there around 830 and walking around tailgating spots.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:50 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

Norv Zimmer wrote:
We are staying at the Sheraton in midtown. They have a free shuttle to and from the stadium. I think we plan on getting there around 830 and walking around tailgating spots.

Oh nice yeah we're at the Radisson Downtown. We'll probably get their early as well and float around

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:40 am
Starter

5thWave wrote:
When I think "great backup QB's, I think Tom Brady, Colin Kaepernick, Earl Morrel, and that's about it. CK was a one-hit wonder imo. Morrel was incredible, leading the Colts to a Super Bowl after filling in all year for an injured Johnny Unitas in 1968, and then replacing Unitas two years later to beat the Dallas Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

And that's it. Don't know what happened to the Brady kid.

They are the rarest of breeds in other words.

Maybe not quite the "rarest." You're forgetting some of the best:

Steve Young -- arguably the most talented backup QB in NFL history, backing up Joe Montana for four seasons -- during which he threw 23 touchdown passes and only six interceptions.

Aaron Rodgers -- didn't get a ton of action in his three seasons backing up Favre, but filled in impressively when Favre was injured against the Cowboys in a Monday Night Football game in 2007.

Jim Plunkett -- led Raiders to TWO Super Bowl victories as a backup. First in 1980, when he led the Raiders to 9 victories in 11 games subbing for injured Dan Pastorini, then on to the Super Bowl championship where he was named MVP. Then in 1983, when he subbed for an injured Marc Wilson and led the Raiders to another Super Bowl victory.

Kurt Warner -- rescued from the Arena Football League, Warner had one of the great 4-5 season runs as a QB in NFL history -- first entering the league as a backup.

Randall Cunningham -- Vikings fans should remember that Cunningham stepped in for an injured Brad Johnson and went on to have one of the greatest QB seasons in NFL history while leading the Vikes to a 15-1 record

Trent Dilfer -- certainly not a "great" backup, but did lead the Ravens to a Super Bowl title filling in as a backup.

Those six came to mind when I read this post. After writing up those three, I googled "greatest backup QBs in NFL," and came up with these seven additional backups:

Brett Favre was initially Don Majkowski's backup
Terry Bradshaw came in to replace an injured Joe Gilliam
Jeff Hostetler led the Giants to a Super Bowl title in relief of an injured Phil Simms
Doug Williams led the Redskins to a Super Bowl title and was named Super Bowl MVP in relief of Jay Schroeder
Ben Roethlisberger became a starter four games into the 2004 season in relief of Tommy Maddox -- and went 14-0 in his first 14 games as a starter
Doug Flutie had a nice season in relief of Rob Johnson in 1998-99
Nick Foles subbed for an injured Michael Vick in 2013 and threw 27 TDs agains only 2 INTs

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:53 pm
All Pro Elite Player

ChicagoViking wrote:
5thWave wrote:
When I think "great backup QB's, I think Tom Brady, Colin Kaepernick, Earl Morrel, and that's about it. CK was a one-hit wonder imo. Morrel was incredible, leading the Colts to a Super Bowl after filling in all year for an injured Johnny Unitas in 1968, and then replacing Unitas two years later to beat the Dallas Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

And that's it. Don't know what happened to the Brady kid.

They are the rarest of breeds in other words.

Maybe not quite the "rarest." You're forgetting some of the best:

Steve Young -- arguably the most talented backup QB in NFL history, backing up Joe Montana for four seasons -- during which he threw 23 touchdown passes and only six interceptions.

Aaron Rodgers -- didn't get a ton of action in his three seasons backing up Favre, but filled in impressively when Favre was injured against the Cowboys in a Monday Night Football game in 2007.

Jim Plunkett -- led Raiders to TWO Super Bowl victories as a backup. First in 1980, when he led the Raiders to 9 victories in 11 games subbing for injured Dan Pastorini, then on to the Super Bowl championship where he was named MVP. Then in 1983, when he subbed for an injured Marc Wilson and led the Raiders to another Super Bowl victory.

Kurt Warner -- rescued from the Arena Football League, Warner had one of the great 4-5 season runs as a QB in NFL history -- first entering the league as a backup.

Randall Cunningham -- Vikings fans should remember that Cunningham stepped in for an injured Brad Johnson and went on to have one of the greatest QB seasons in NFL history while leading the Vikes to a 15-1 record

Trent Dilfer -- certainly not a "great" backup, but did lead the Ravens to a Super Bowl title filling in as a backup.

Those six came to mind when I read this post. After writing up those three, I googled "greatest backup QBs in NFL," and came up with these seven additional backups:

Brett Favre was initially Don Majkowski's backup
Terry Bradshaw came in to replace an injured Joe Gilliam
Jeff Hostetler led the Giants to a Super Bowl title in relief of an injured Phil Simms
Doug Williams led the Redskins to a Super Bowl title and was named Super Bowl MVP in relief of Jay Schroeder
Ben Roethlisberger became a starter four games into the 2004 season in relief of Tommy Maddox -- and went 14-0 in his first 14 games as a starter
Doug Flutie had a nice season in relief of Rob Johnson in 1998-99
Nick Foles subbed for an injured Michael Vick in 2013 and threw 27 TDs agains only 2 INTs

So, tell us, where do we find one of them these days when it seems there are actually not enough high quality starters to go around?

And, just maybe, we already have one of those in Mr. Slow-Ride (Take it easy)! :rock:

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:33 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... st-sunday/

Sounds like he is on track to play.

Just playing it safe against the steelers.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:02 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Norv Zimmer wrote:

Oh nice yeah we're at the Radisson Downtown. We'll probably get their early as well and float around

Well I am bringing along 4 26 ounce cans of beer from Junkyard Brewery here in Moorhead MN. It is one of their experimental IPAs, if you like IPAs I would love to meet up and hand one off to you!

https://www.junkyardbeer.com/

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:04 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Yeah man I'm a big IPA fan. It's just me and one of my best friends going. PM me and we can exchange contact info

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:08 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

PsyDanny wrote:

So, tell us, where do we find one of them these days when it seems there are actually not enough high quality starters to go around?

And, just maybe, we already have one of those in Mr. Slow-Ride (Take it easy)! :rock:

haha great song. Honestly, I think it's mostly luck and having the chips fall the right way. It's not like the Rams signed Warner and said, "yeah this guy is going to be a hall of famer some day. Even though he was bagging groceries two weeks ago." He was nothing but a camp body at first. And of course Trent Green blows his knee out and Warner goes off. Nobody predicted that. Not a GM, coach, scout, player or fan. It was no different with Brady or any other backup. You cant predict it. I would love to see a stat on how many 5th-7th round QBs actually end up making an NFL team over the last 20 years.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:35 pm
Fenrir

Bradford saying it was a non-contact injury. That makes 2 starting QBs, in two years. Cursed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:11 pm
Veteran

As much as i hope Bradford plays this week, I would doubt that he will with as much damage as his knee has from previous injuries that the swelling and pain will allow him to move around.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:58 pm
Starter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxQYiYOd-qs&t=299s

I have to tell you I really hate secrecy the Vikings and Bradford are trying to keep about Bradford's injury. The dodging Bradford does about knowing when his body is well enough to play. MN Media is too stereo typically "Minnesota Nice". If this was the NY or Phil Media, they would have ripped Bradford and Zimmer a new one.

Someone should remind the Wilfs that the fans' money are the main generators of Vikings organization's salary. We have a right to know if our product has some issues.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:22 pm
Career Elite Player

petev_sj wrote:

I have to tell you I really hate secrecy the Vikings and Bradford are trying to keep about Bradford's injury. The dodging Bradford does about knowing when his body is well enough to play. MN Media is too stereo typically "Minnesota Nice". If this was the NY or Phil Media, they would have ripped Bradford and Zimmer a new one.

Someone should remind the Wilfs that the fans' money are the main generators of Vikings organization's salary. We have a right to know if our product has some issues.

They were discussing bone bruises on NFLN today and the injury is really a day to day thing. I think it comes down to how his knee will feel on Sunday.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:25 am
Starting Wide Receiver

petev_sj wrote:

I've been saying that for a week now. I'm not saying they should post the MRI slides but fans, who pay for the team essentially, have a right to know more.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:24 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

petev_sj wrote:

If you think you hate it, imagine how much an opposing coaching staff hates it when they have to game plan two different scenarios.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:15 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

mansquatch wrote:
petev_sj wrote:

If you think you hate it, imagine how much an opposing coaching staff hates it when they have to game plan two different scenarios.

Squatch is on point again.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:51 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Demi wrote:
Quote:
i think it's pretty stupid and archaic to use guys that have failed as backups. there are only a select few who are actually capable of keeping your team afloat.

Which is what this team has done for the last decade. Don't worry, the old guy can teach the new guy!

Hahaha......you most certainly must be joking. CK= :puke: (standing or not)

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:53 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

autobon7 wrote:
Demi wrote:
Quote:

+1

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:10 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

autobon7 wrote:

ck=chase keenum and colin kaepernick and it's true either way

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:38 am
All Pro Elite Player

I don't think keeping your team afloat =/= going into Pitt and winning week two against a team that is "suppose" to make a superbowl run.

We were a couple of penalties away from it easily being a 16-20 score line. That's not bad.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:51 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

IrishViking wrote:
I don't think keeping your team afloat =/= going into Pitt and winning week two against a team that is "suppose" to make a superbowl run.

We were a couple of penalties away from it easily being a 16-20 score line. That's not bad.

agreed...but those penalties were not on keenum. the offense scored 1 td. he was thrown into the fire on short notice against a physical team behind a shaky o-line. time will tell. hold your balls but not your breath.
the vikings aren't desperate yet...but as it stands they look to be pinning their qb hopes on one of two guys with bad knees.
in the meantime they have an extremely talented roster that can keep them in any game but very little room for error, until there is someone manning the helm who can put the ball in the endzone.

i'm curious to see how it unfolds....i love sam, but i really have doubts about his knee. i don't think TB is in sam's class as a qb, i like him too...but have even less confidence in his knee(s).

if it turns out neither can go...i 'd much rather see the rookie than keenum or kap or anyone, for that matter.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:04 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Nunin wrote:
IrishViking wrote:

agreed...but those penalties were not on keenum. the offense scored 1 td. he was thrown into the fire on short notice against a physical team behind a shaky o-line. time will tell. hold your balls but not your breath.
the vikings aren't desperate yet...but as it stands they look to be pinning their qb hopes on one of two guys with bad knees.
in the meantime they have an extremely talented roster that can keep them in any game but very little room for error, until there is someone manning the helm who can put the ball in the endzone.

i'm curious to see how it unfolds....i love sam, but i really have doubts about his knee. i don't think TB is in sam's class as a qb, i like him too...but have even less confidence in his knee(s).

if it turns out neither can go...i 'd much rather see the rookie than keenum or kap or anyone, for that matter.

Good take. Agreed on all points.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:15 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

It's also entirely possible that Zimmer and co made a calculated bet that they lose a tough road game early in an effort to preserve Bradford's knee. We have to remember that we do not know as much as the Vikings do. Any conjecture is more WAG (Wild A-- Guess) than anything else.

Another perspective is that outside of probably ATL, the NFC is again a total dumpster fire. Dallas got completely man-handled my the Broncos (which was predicable, they played a cream puff schedule last year.) and now Elliot's off the field issues are about to spin out of control. ARI so far has played far below expectations. SEA is basically the 2016 Vikings, but with worse skill position players. Green Bay is again a one man show, but with a worse OL.

Patience my friends. There is still plenty of opportunity this season. If you want to get mad about something, get mad about the fact that the NFC has been prime for the taking the last two seasons and the injury bug has prevented our roster from capitalizing. THAT sucks.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next