View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Bradfords knee?? 
Career Elite Player

Post Re: Bradfords knee??
mansquatch wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Typical Vikings crappy luck.

This is all you need to know about Bradford's Knee right now. Not much else you can do or say about it. This is so frustrating as a fan. Last year the guy gets mauled on any snap he doesn't make a pass in 1.5 seconds. This year he barely gets touched and his knee swells. Only the Vikings.

Could be a blessing in disguise. How? I don't know. Maybe Sloter is the real deal. Maybe Keenum seizes his opportunity and leads this team to the playoffs. Maybe the Vikings lose a bunch this year and draft their future HOF QB. Maybe Bridgewater caps his comeback with a SB victory. We just don't know. Football is like a box of

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:44 pm
Career Elite Player

Tom Pelissero‏
@TomPelissero

#Vikings QB Sam Bradford is believed to have a bone bruise, source said. They'll see how his knee responds to an injection and go from there

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:08 pm
Fenrir

I would probably rest Bradford at least another week. He's not exactly mobile and our line inspires little confidence. Plus we have 3 division games in a row after TB, which are more important. Floyd will also be back after Detroit. I think at home we can beat TB w/ Keenum assuming our key defensive guys like Rhodes & Barr are good to go.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:26 pm
Backup

808vikingsfan wrote:
Tom Pelissero‏
@TomPelissero

#Vikings QB Sam Bradford is believed to have a bone bruise, source said. They'll see how his knee responds to an injection and go from there

That's SOMEWHAT reassuring. At least it's not related to his previous knee injuries. I hope it's not a consequence of his golfer babe wife taking a six iron to his knee....like some other sports celebrity I recall.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:33 pm
Career Elite Player

5thWave wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:
Tom Pelissero‏
@TomPelissero

That's SOMEWHAT reassuring. At least it's not related to his previous knee injuries. I hope it's not a consequence of his golfer babe wife taking a six iron to his knee....like some other sports celebrity I recall.

googling Sam Bradford wife....

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:46 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I don't know why Zimmer didn't come out and say "We had Sam do some warm ups and his knee was sore so we decided to play it safe and hold him out of the game."

Thats all he had to say to alleviate some concerns.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:11 pm
Career Elite Player

S197 wrote:
I would probably rest Bradford at least another week. He's not exactly mobile and our line inspires little confidence. Plus we have 3 division games in a row after TB, which are more important. Floyd will also be back after Detroit. I think at home we can beat TB w/ Keenum assuming our key defensive guys like Rhodes & Barr are good to go.

I think so too. With another week of practice for Keenum, I think he'll be much better this week.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:19 pm
Hall of Famer

Sounds like Sam may be out for around 6 weeks. Even though Zimmer keeps everything a mystery to us.

For sure, I doubt he plays this week, and that means another week of Keenum, which makes me sad. Maybe the Oline will step up during this time and gel. I dont see them now as being much better then they were last year, but i think they can only get better. I dont know about the ST. I think it may be time to get a new coach.

Maybe Keenum will do better now knowing hes the Qb. He certainly knows how to play in the NFL, he just wasnt ever that good, nor does he know the receivers as well as Sam does.

The saying 'if it wasnt for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all' certainly fits the Vikings.

Last edited by PurpleKoolaid on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:32 pm
Commissioner

Luck? How about have a better backup QB in place when you have a starter with some pretty major injury questions? :wallbang:

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:07 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Demi wrote:
Luck? How about have a better backup QB in place when you have a starter with some pretty major injury questions? :wallbang:
Keenum is the best backup they have had in years

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Career Elite Player

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Sounds like Sam may be out for around 6 weeks. Even though Zimmer keeps everything a mystery to us.

For sure, I doubt he plays this week, and that means another week of Keenum, which makes me sad. Maybe the Oline will step up during this time and gel. I dont see them now as being much better then they were last year, but i think they can only get better. I dont know about the ST. I think it may be time to get a new coach.

Maybe Keenum will do better now knowing hes the Qb. He certainly knows how to play in the NFL, he just wasnt ever that good, nor does he know the receivers as well as Sam does.

That say 'if it was for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all' certainly fits the Vikings.

Where did you hear 6 weeks?

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:26 pm
Hall of Famer

808vikingsfan wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:

That say 'if it was for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all' certainly fits the Vikings.

A few places, none were definitive, but all mentioned 6 weeks. I figured a Viking site had said it originally.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:22 pm
Hall of Famer

Demi wrote:

They rarely have a good 1st string QB, a good backup QB is just a pipe-dream.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:26 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Demi wrote:

thank you....although they are hard to come by

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:35 pm
Career Elite Player

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Demi wrote:

a good backup QB is just a pipe-dream.

Agree unless your starter is borderline and your backup is being groomed to be the future (eg CHI, KC). A quick google shows Keenum ranked anywhere from #3 to #32 (NFL backup QBs 2017). Basically, any NFL team that loses their starter will struggle.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:28 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

[quote="PurpleKoolaid"]

quote]

I think calling for a new ST coach is an over reaction. He has a lot of new pieces (players) to mold. Give him a chance.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:29 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

Demi wrote:

Dude Case Keenum is probably a top 5-10 backup in the NFL. What do you expect? Fans think we should just have a miracle "Tom Brady type" backup behind our starter. It doesnt work that way. But since you seem to think it's so easy, instead of signing Keenum, who do we pick up this year Demi?? Ryan Fitz? Trade?? Draft?? Or say we should've drafted Garroppolo because thats the easy way out. I mean if you got the answer I would LOVE to hear it.

I will say, these guys are backups for a reason. If they were that good enough and could carry a team to a win AT PITTSBURGH, then they would be a starter somewhere. But thats not the case is it? Keenum is a "good" backup. He's fairly young, has starting experience and has beat some very good teams (Seattle x2) when he had nothing around him. I'm not really sure what you're looking for in a backup.

Let's analyze this:

**Patriots: Jimmy G- best one out there probably
Jets: Why bother?
Bills: Why bother?
**Dolphins: Moore- pretty solid

Ravens: Mallette- horrid
Browns: Why bother?
**Steelers: Jones- not bad
**Bengals: McCarron- solid

Colts: Just watch on Sundays
Texans: Savage- awful
**Jags: Henne- decent
Titans: Cassel- not at this stage of his career

Raiders: Manuel- awful
Broncos: Lynch- bust
Chargers: Clemens- awful
**Chiefs: Mahomes- future stud IMO

Giants: Geno- gross
Cowboys: Moore- gross
**Redskins: McCoy- not bad
**Eagles: Foles- not bad

**Vikings: Keenum- not bad
Lions: who knows?
Bears: why bother?
Packers: Hundley- terrible

Panthers: Anderson- eh?
Saints: Daniel- eh?
**Bucs: Fitz- solid
Falcons: Schaub- use to be good but is now terrible

49ers: why bother?
Rams: why bother?
Seahawks: Austin Davis- awful
Cards: Stanton- eh?

I starred the top 10 backups in the league with Keenum being one of them. That still leaves 22 teams with "bad" backups. So are those 22 teams saying the same thing you are Demi?? Imagine what will happen to the Seahawks if Wilson goes down. Their offense isnt good to begin with and they have the worst OL in the league. Imagine Austin Davis in there??

Either way, Demi you must know something these 22 teams dont I would guess. Because if they all have bad backups and you know where to find "good" ones, I'd love to hear it. Enlighten us....

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:48 am
Veteran

Good post!, until you put all the names out there, I didn't realize that there was such a lack of decent back up QB's

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:58 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

Husker Vike wrote:
Good post!, until you put all the names out there, I didn't realize that there was such a lack of decent back up QB's

Exactly! It just drives me nuts when fans constantly complain about our backup QBs. Its EXTREMELY tough to find a solid one no less one that can actually win you games against legit teams on the road. I think Keenum is a top 10 backup. Soon our backup could be Teddy who would be the top one out there if he's all healed. Either way, if you're going to criticize Spielman about a quality backup QB, at least provide some backing with it and have a solution. Otherwise, hold your breath and look at what the rest of the league is working with.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:11 am
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:

A few places, none were definitive, but all mentioned 6 weeks. I figured a Viking site had said it originally.

That was actually Zimmer being grumpy in his press conference right after the loss.

When he was asked about Bradford's anticipated return by reporters, he said he didn't know. When those reporters kept asking him about Bradford, he got a little grouchy and said, "Could be next week, could be six weeks."

Of course, everybody immediately took that to mean six weeks.

Zimmer clarified yesterday and apologized for being a curmudgeon, saying Vikings fans deserve better than that. He then said Bradford is day-to-day.

I think there ought to be a 2-hour moratorium on repeating stupid questions to coaches following a loss. If you're a reporter and you repeat a question that was just asked without waiting 2 hours, a huge bouncer dude sends you to the curb on your keister.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:23 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

i think it's pretty stupid and archaic to use guys that have failed as backups. there are only a select few who are actually capable of keeping your team afloat.

it makes way more sense to me...especially if you have a decent team...to a draft a guy with legit upside rather than put a known failure at the helm of the most important position.

there's a lot being said about keenum not stepping up in the pocket....just like ponder and lots of others filed qbs who lack specific instincts for the position. it seems certain organizations lack similar instinct awareness when addressing the position in the first place.

i just don't see the point of floundering along with a known failure when there may be some unknown guy who just needs a chance.....to me that would be an organization stepping up in the pocket and pulling the trigger.

bradford and bridgewater are not looking like guys to pin the future on right now. i

i don't want kaepernick on this team....but some of the comments about not signing him were because he was not a guy to make a deep playoff run (even though he's been to a superbowl).....but case keenam is?
lol

this organization has poor football instincts IMO

and just to be clear.....i think the chances of success with a rookie or young guy who has yet to get a shot vs a retread the whole league knows are at least equal if not slightly in favor of the new guy.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:25 am
All Pro Elite Player

I was as angry as the next guy but we were probably, one stupid penalty (robison) and a couple of plays away from it being a 16-20 loss to pitt, in pitt, with a back up QB. Thats pretty freaking good if you ask me.

That said, I am nearly in camp "fire Shumer" for that absurd double fake sweep long play.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:22 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I am going to the game this weekend. Me and my buddies will be loud at least the Vikings have that going for them if Sam doesn't play. It will be quiet on offense and loud as heck when we are on defense. If it is case I'm sure he will know by tomorrow and will be much more prepared then he was last week.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:17 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

This league doesn't even have 32 starting caliber QBs, much less any quality backups. Case Keenum is a great backup, but losing a starting QB is basically a death sentence for any team.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:45 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

720pete wrote:
This league doesn't even have 32 starting caliber QBs, much less any quality backups. Case Keenum is a great backup, but losing a starting QB is basically a death sentence for any team.
I agree.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Career Elite Player

720pete wrote:

Are you saying that Tom Savage is not a quality starter?

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:19 pm
Backup

When I think "great backup QB's, I think Tom Brady, Colin Kaepernick, Earl Morrel, and that's about it. CK was a one-hit wonder imo. Morrel was incredible, leading the Colts to a Super Bowl after filling in all year for an injured Johnny Unitas in 1968, and then replacing Unitas two years later to beat the Dallas Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

And that's it. Don't know what happened to the Brady kid.

They are the rarest of breeds in other words.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:53 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

5thWave wrote:
When I think "great backup QB's, I think Tom Brady, Colin Kaepernick, Earl Morrel, and that's about it. CK was a one-hit wonder imo. Morrel was incredible, leading the Colts to a Super Bowl after filling in all year for an injured Johnny Unitas in 1968, and then replacing Unitas two years later to beat the Dallas Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

And that's it. Don't know what happened to the Brady kid.

They are the rarest of breeds in other words.
There have been a lot of really good backups. I honestly think Chase Keenum is one of the better backups in the NFL.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commissioner

Quote:
i think it's pretty stupid and archaic to use guys that have failed as backups. there are only a select few who are actually capable of keeping your team afloat.

Which is what this team has done for the last decade. Don't worry, the old guy can teach the new guy!

Just beware...a superior talent might not stand up for the national anthem!

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:46 pm
Career Elite Player

Keenum vs LIONS 2016 27/32 321yds 3TD 1 rushing TD
Keenum vs BUCS 2016 14/ 26 190yds 2TD

He's had success against the next two Vikings opponents. I think he just needs more practice with the starters.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next