View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:39 pm



Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Bradfords knee?? 
Author Message
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3259
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
My favorite way to debunk this kind of thinking is to point out that no one would compare Belicik's career with the Browns as their HC vs. his time in NE. But it is OK to do that type of comparison with other players/coaches because...

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:07 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4539
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
FireSpieldope wrote:


Even his best year is still worse then Teddy's career AVG. Any way you slice it, Teddy has been a superior QB because the stats don't lie. You can't fake it.

Bradford is a 6.6 career YPA guy. Amongst his peers are Matt Cassel and Mark Sanchez. Sorry dude. lol


The funny thing is, you know you are so far wrong and have been proved wrong but you're so caught up in your own asinine opinion that you cant even admit it.

If the stats dont lie, how did Teddy throw 14 TDs in back to back years showing little improvement, and Bradford comes in with zero preparation and throws 20 in 15 games? The sad thing is, Teddy threw 14 his rookie year in 13 games. Then he throws 14 his sophomore year and started in ALL 16 GAMES and a lower YPA. If anything, he went backwards after his rookie year.

Also, you talk about how amazing Teddys YPA is. Take some time out of your day and actually look up the game logs. 7.2 is very deceiving given the fact that he had 3 games over 10.0. Look at more games his rookie year. They are as follows: 5.1, 6.0, 5.7, 6.4, 5.6, 5.7, 6.6. He started 13 games that year. There was the YPA for 7 of them which is more than half. Just goes to show you how inflated that stat is because of a couple games he was well over 10.0. He's always been criticized for not stretching the field and throwing the deep ball but now you want to argue that with your little career YPA stat?? Try actually looking into it more

No less in 29 starts he has thrown more than 2 touchdowns ONE TIME. O.....N.....E in 29 starts and it was against the "checked out Bears". The same thing you faulted Bradford for in an above post.

I will let you know, you arent going to win with this argument with any of us. Your backing behind this argument is as weak as it gets. There are a lot of guys on this board with a lot of football knowledge. And I really have to question yours. You're drawing dead at this point and if you continue, this thread is going to end up getting locked out. I have had to eat crow plenty of times over the years of being on here but it wont be this time I can tell you that. Time to move on

_________________
Image


Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:11 am
Profile
Backup

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:35 am
Posts: 70
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
FireSpieldope wrote:


Even his best year is still worse then Teddy's career AVG. Any way you slice it, Teddy has been a superior QB because the stats don't lie. You can't fake it.

Bradford is a 6.6 career YPA guy. Amongst his peers are Matt Cassel and Mark Sanchez. Sorry dude. lol


The funny thing is, you know you are so far wrong and have been proved wrong but you're so caught up in your own asinine opinion that you cant even admit it.

If the stats dont lie, how did Teddy throw 14 TDs in back to back years showing little improvement, and Bradford comes in with zero preparation and throws 20 in 15 games? The sad thing is, Teddy threw 14 his rookie year in 13 games. Then he throws 14 his sophomore year and started in ALL 16 GAMES and a lower YPA. If anything, he went backwards after his rookie year.

Also, you talk about how amazing Teddys YPA is. Take some time out of your day and actually look up the game logs. 7.2 is very deceiving given the fact that he had 3 games over 10.0. Look at more games his rookie year. They are as follows: 5.1, 6.0, 5.7, 6.4, 5.6, 5.7, 6.6. He started 13 games that year. There was the YPA for 7 of them which is more than half. Just goes to show you how inflated that stat is because of a couple games he was well over 10.0. He's always been criticized for not stretching the field and throwing the deep ball but now you want to argue that with your little career YPA stat?? Try actually looking into it more

No less in 29 starts he has thrown more than 2 touchdowns ONE TIME. O.....N.....E in 29 starts and it was against the "checked out Bears". The same thing you faulted Bradford for in an above post.

I will let you know, you arent going to win with this argument with any of us. Your backing behind this argument is as weak as it gets. There are a lot of guys on this board with a lot of football knowledge. And I really have to question yours. You're drawing dead at this point and if you continue, this thread is going to end up getting locked out. I have had to eat crow plenty of times over the years of being on here but it wont be this time I can tell you that. Time to move on


Quit cherry picking stats. Same as that other clown who thinks Bradfords career started in Philadelphia, even though he sucked there and sucked here. Losing games with a great defense is hard to do. Only a Dumpy QB can do it.


Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:43 am
Profile
Backup

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:35 am
Posts: 70
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Teddy didnt have much of a chance to play before he got injured. He played sooner then I thought he should have too, but we didnt have a choice.

And it took a LOT of QBs more then a few games before hitting their stride. Teddy is still very young and inexperienced. And now a new Oline. He will have his work cut out for him. I believe he was held back too when he got to play, from throwing deeper balls and making audibles. So give the guy a real chance at playing before you say hes trash, and Sam will automatically be better from whatever injury he has now. If Sams really healthy and not limping around and curling up into the fetal position on the field, he should start. If not, its Teddy's time. Its pretty simple. Cause our schedule gets hard after the bye week. and I doubt if anyone has forgot how badly we sucked last year after the bye.


I'm pretty sure 0 people on here said Teddy was trash. Nobody is saying we shouldnt give him a chance either. Nobody is against Teddy. But bottom line is, Sam Bradford is a better QB. Look at the stats, look at his accuracy, look at his deep ball, look at his release, etc. By looking at that stuff you cant sit there and say Teddy is better. It's just not realistic. We all back Teddy and love Teddy but if they were both healthy, you start Sam any day of the week over Teddy.


I looked at the stats and they are worse then Teddys. How come you can't figure that out? Loses more games, throws more 1 yard dumpoffs so he can pad his precious completion percentage record. Woopty doo, try winning some games Dumpford. Dude would rather check down on 3rd and 8 then take a chance to win the game.


Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:46 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:41 pm
Posts: 6041
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
FireSpieldope wrote:
OK, just for giggles lets look up career YPA for a bunch of QB's. Let's see if YPA matters or not. And keep in mind, this is career. Not 1 pass. We have enough data points to make logical conclusions.

Aaron Rodgers- 7.9 YPA
Tom Brady- 7.5 YPA
Drew Brees- 7.5 YPA
Ben Roethlisberger- 7.9 YPA
Russell Wilson- 7.9 YPA

Hmmmmmm..... see any similarities?

Teddy Bridgewater- 7.2 YPA

Let's look up some low end QB's----

Matt Cassell- 6.5 YPA
Case Keenum- 6.8 YPA
Mike Glennon- 6.4 YPA
David Carr- 6.4 YPA
Mark Sanchez- 6.7 YPA
Ryan Fitxpatrick- 6.7 YPA
Jon Kitna- 6.7 YPA
Trent Dilfer- 6.5 YPA (worst QB to win a SB)

Sam Bradford- 6.6 YPA

You can't fake CAREER YPA. Like a baseball hitters batting avg. The good players complete a higher percentage of passes for more yardage on average. Sorry guys. :banana:


Two things:

1) My using one pass as an example was to simplify my point (not to suggest that 1 pass is any meaningful statistic). By taking that example a little too literally, one might assume that 1/1 in passing makes one a great quarterback since his completion percentage would be 100%. That wasn't the point I was trying to make and it's a little disheartening that I actually to have to explain that wasn't what I meant.

2) Is Jay Cutler a good quarterback? (His career YPA is 7.2) It's not a trick question. Some say he is. Some say he's not. If it's as cut-and-dried as you're suggesting, those who don't think Cutler is a particularly good quarterback are just wrong and there's no point in dicussing it further. What about Tommy Kramer (6.8 YPA)? He sucks? End of discussion? What about Mariota (7.6 YPA)? He's "better" than Brady (7.5 YPA)?

Nobody is "faking" anything. I'm just curious as to your reasoning that YPA (to the exclusion of any other relevant factors that might affect YPA) somehow is a definitive measurement of anything? I'm not even agreeing or disagreeing with your conclusion(s). I simply am not ready to blindly evaluate quarterbacks on 1 statistic of their overall performance.

_________________
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!


Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:46 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4539
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
FireSpieldope wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
FireSpieldope wrote:


Even his best year is still worse then Teddy's career AVG. Any way you slice it, Teddy has been a superior QB because the stats don't lie. You can't fake it.

Bradford is a 6.6 career YPA guy. Amongst his peers are Matt Cassel and Mark Sanchez. Sorry dude. lol


The funny thing is, you know you are so far wrong and have been proved wrong but you're so caught up in your own asinine opinion that you cant even admit it.

If the stats dont lie, how did Teddy throw 14 TDs in back to back years showing little improvement, and Bradford comes in with zero preparation and throws 20 in 15 games? The sad thing is, Teddy threw 14 his rookie year in 13 games. Then he throws 14 his sophomore year and started in ALL 16 GAMES and a lower YPA. If anything, he went backwards after his rookie year.

Also, you talk about how amazing Teddys YPA is. Take some time out of your day and actually look up the game logs. 7.2 is very deceiving given the fact that he had 3 games over 10.0. Look at more games his rookie year. They are as follows: 5.1, 6.0, 5.7, 6.4, 5.6, 5.7, 6.6. He started 13 games that year. There was the YPA for 7 of them which is more than half. Just goes to show you how inflated that stat is because of a couple games he was well over 10.0. He's always been criticized for not stretching the field and throwing the deep ball but now you want to argue that with your little career YPA stat?? Try actually looking into it more

No less in 29 starts he has thrown more than 2 touchdowns ONE TIME. O.....N.....E in 29 starts and it was against the "checked out Bears". The same thing you faulted Bradford for in an above post.

I will let you know, you arent going to win with this argument with any of us. Your backing behind this argument is as weak as it gets. There are a lot of guys on this board with a lot of football knowledge. And I really have to question yours. You're drawing dead at this point and if you continue, this thread is going to end up getting locked out. I have had to eat crow plenty of times over the years of being on here but it wont be this time I can tell you that. Time to move on


Quit cherry picking stats. Same as that other clown who thinks Bradfords career started in Philadelphia, even though he sucked there and sucked here. Losing games with a great defense is hard to do. Only a Dumpy QB can do it.


First of all, the insults you're making are going to get you banned from here so I'm not really sure who you think you are or what you're trying to do but either way, there is no cherry picking stats. Problem is, you just look at the bold print and dont look to see whats behind the closed doors.

Bradford "sucked" in Philly with a stat line of: 19 TDs, 14 INTs, 3700+ yards, 7.0 YPA and an 86.4 QBR

AND

"sucked here" with 23 TDs, 5 INTs, over 4000 yards, 7.1 YPA and over a 100 QBR

BUTTTTT....

Teddy "lit it up" with seasons of 14 TDs, 12 INTs, 2900 yards, 7.3 YPA and an 85.2 QBR

AND 14 TDs, 9 INTs, 3200 yards, 7.2 YPA and an 88.7 QBR


SERIOUSLY DUDE????!!! What is so hard to see in that. No less Teddy has done no more with this team than Bradford. Adrian Peterson and our defense got us to the playoffs. Not a QB that threw 14 TDs. OUR PASSING OFFENSE WAS 31ST IN THE LEAGUE IN 2015. It was never that bad with Bradford. It was 18th to be exact. BIG difference. The proof is right there and thats without me going digging on game by game stuff. You're beat!! Give it up and move on. You arent winning this argument and insulting me and others isnt helping your cause. Move on

_________________
Image


Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:03 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3259
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
Please stop feeding the troll.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:06 pm
Profile
Backup

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:35 am
Posts: 70
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
Just Me wrote:
FireSpieldope wrote:
OK, just for giggles lets look up career YPA for a bunch of QB's. Let's see if YPA matters or not. And keep in mind, this is career. Not 1 pass. We have enough data points to make logical conclusions.

Aaron Rodgers- 7.9 YPA
Tom Brady- 7.5 YPA
Drew Brees- 7.5 YPA
Ben Roethlisberger- 7.9 YPA
Russell Wilson- 7.9 YPA

Hmmmmmm..... see any similarities?

Teddy Bridgewater- 7.2 YPA

Let's look up some low end QB's----

Matt Cassell- 6.5 YPA
Case Keenum- 6.8 YPA
Mike Glennon- 6.4 YPA
David Carr- 6.4 YPA
Mark Sanchez- 6.7 YPA
Ryan Fitxpatrick- 6.7 YPA
Jon Kitna- 6.7 YPA
Trent Dilfer- 6.5 YPA (worst QB to win a SB)

Sam Bradford- 6.6 YPA

You can't fake CAREER YPA. Like a baseball hitters batting avg. The good players complete a higher percentage of passes for more yardage on average. Sorry guys. :banana:


Two things:

1) My using one pass as an example was to simplify my point (not to suggest that 1 pass is any meaningful statistic). By taking that example a little too literally, one might assume that 1/1 in passing makes one a great quarterback since his completion percentage would be 100%. That wasn't the point I was trying to make and it's a little disheartening that I actually to have to explain that wasn't what I meant.

2) Is Jay Cutler a good quarterback? (His career YPA is 7.2) It's not a trick question. Some say he is. Some say he's not. If it's as cut-and-dried as you're suggesting, those who don't think Cutler is a particularly good quarterback are just wrong and there's no point in dicussing it further. What about Tommy Kramer (6.8 YPA)? He sucks? End of discussion? What about Mariota (7.6 YPA)? He's "better" than Brady (7.5 YPA)?

Nobody is "faking" anything. I'm just curious as to your reasoning that YPA (to the exclusion of any other relevant factors that might affect YPA) somehow is a definitive measurement of anything? I'm not even agreeing or disagreeing with your conclusion(s). I simply am not ready to blindly evaluate quarterbacks on 1 statistic of their overall performance.


I wouldn't call Cutler good, more like AVG Over his Career. Again I rank Teddy in the 16-18 range. Not good. About avg. BUT he has upside potential as well!

Passing stats have also gotten better over time. DB's can't hold like they use to. So it's hard to compare the 80's with the current day. Tommy Kramer might have been above avg in his day because teams were not passing as easily as they do in todays game.

Mariota could be on par with Brady but of course he hasn't won anything yet, but so far so good! Early in Bradys career the defense carried the team mostly, not taking away anything he's done in the last few years of course because clearly he has carried the team versus just the defense. Like many QB's he wasn't an all star in his second season, neither was Teddy.

Is YPA the only stat that matters and the end all be all? No. But as you can see the great QB's are high in YPA and the bad ones, well they are not, clearly. If you are above 7 or mid to high 7's you are doing something right.


Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:09 pm
Profile
Backup

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:35 am
Posts: 70
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
FireSpieldope wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:


Even his best year is still worse then Teddy's career AVG. Any way you slice it, Teddy has been a superior QB because the stats don't lie. You can't fake it.

Bradford is a 6.6 career YPA guy. Amongst his peers are Matt Cassel and Mark Sanchez. Sorry dude. lol

The funny thing is, you know you are so far wrong and have been proved wrong but you're so caught up in your own asinine opinion that you cant even admit it.

If the stats dont lie, how did Teddy throw 14 TDs in back to back years showing little improvement, and Bradford comes in with zero preparation and throws 20 in 15 games? The sad thing is, Teddy threw 14 his rookie year in 13 games. Then he throws 14 his sophomore year and started in ALL 16 GAMES and a lower YPA. If anything, he went backwards after his rookie year.

Also, you talk about how amazing Teddys YPA is. Take some time out of your day and actually look up the game logs. 7.2 is very deceiving given the fact that he had 3 games over 10.0. Look at more games his rookie year. They are as follows: 5.1, 6.0, 5.7, 6.4, 5.6, 5.7, 6.6. He started 13 games that year. There was the YPA for 7 of them which is more than half. Just goes to show you how inflated that stat is because of a couple games he was well over 10.0. He's always been criticized for not stretching the field and throwing the deep ball but now you want to argue that with your little career YPA stat?? Try actually looking into it more

No less in 29 starts he has thrown more than 2 touchdowns ONE TIME. O.....N.....E in 29 starts and it was against the "checked out Bears". The same thing you faulted Bradford for in an above post.

I will let you know, you arent going to win with this argument with any of us. Your backing behind this argument is as weak as it gets. There are a lot of guys on this board with a lot of football knowledge. And I really have to question yours. You're drawing dead at this point and if you continue, this thread is going to end up getting locked out. I have had to eat crow plenty of times over the years of being on here but it wont be this time I can tell you that. Time to move on


Quit cherry picking stats. Same as that other clown who thinks Bradfords career started in Philadelphia, even though he sucked there and sucked here. Losing games with a great defense is hard to do. Only a Dumpy QB can do it.


First of all, the insults you're making are going to get you banned from here so I'm not really sure who you think you are or what you're trying to do but either way, there is no cherry picking stats. Problem is, you just look at the bold print and dont look to see whats behind the closed doors.

Bradford "sucked" in Philly with a stat line of: 19 TDs, 14 INTs, 3700+ yards, 7.0 YPA and an 86.4 QBR

AND

"sucked here" with 23 TDs, 5 INTs, over 4000 yards, 7.1 YPA and over a 100 QBR

BUTTTTT....

Teddy "lit it up" with seasons of 14 TDs, 12 INTs, 2900 yards, 7.3 YPA and an 85.2 QBR

AND 14 TDs, 9 INTs, 3200 yards, 7.2 YPA and an 88.7 QBR


SERIOUSLY DUDE????!!! What is so hard to see in that. No less Teddy has done no more with this team than Bradford. Adrian Peterson and our defense got us to the playoffs. Not a QB that threw 14 TDs. OUR PASSING OFFENSE WAS 31ST IN THE LEAGUE IN 2015. It was never that bad with Bradford. It was 18th to be exact. BIG difference. The proof is right there and thats without me going digging on game by game stuff. You're beat!! Give it up and move on. You arent winning this argument and insulting me and others isnt helping your cause. Move on


The defense? I told you where the defense was really ranked. 14th in the NFL!!! It was a myth they were top 5 in 2015. Because the Vikings had longer ball controlled drives then avg they had far fewer possessions FOR and AGAINST. Thus is the reason why I use Points Per Drive because it eliminates the number of possessions.

The reality was that the Offense was BETTER then the Defense that year. 12th versus 14th. Hate to break it to ya! :welcome


Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:14 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4539
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
FireSpieldope wrote:
The reality was that the Offense was BETTER then the Defense that year. 12th versus 14th. Hate to break it to ya! :welcome


Wtf stat are you even looking at?? That just shows how clueless you are about this. The Vikings were 29th in total offense in 2015 and they were 31st in passing offense. That is pathetic. I have no clue where 12th is coming from with anything and any site that did have our offense somehow in the middle of the pack (which isnt possible) it was simply because of......Adrian Peterson. Not Teddy Bridgewater. That literally cant be anymore obvious. Leading rusher in the league vs. bottom barrel passing offense. That's like saying Luke Longley lead the Bulls to 6 championships, not Jordan

That same year, our rushing offense was 4th and our defense was 13th in total defense.

So you tell me what got us to the playoffs? It sure wasnt Teddy Bridgewater and his 31st ranked passing offense we had.

It was Adrian Peterson and the defense. No less at years end in 2015 and in the Seattle playoff game, our defense was top 5 in the league throughout weeks 15 into the playoffs.

In Teddy's two years, we were 28th and 31st in passing offense. In Bradfords one year, we were 18th. Cant make it anymore clear than that. So you can take whatever those stats are that you pulled out of the clouds and toss them out the window because again, you truly have no idea what you're talking about. You're just digging yourself a deeper hole at this point.

_________________
Image


Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:53 pm
Profile
Backup

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:35 am
Posts: 70
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
FireSpieldope wrote:
The reality was that the Offense was BETTER then the Defense that year. 12th versus 14th. Hate to break it to ya! :welcome


Wtf stat are you even looking at?? That just shows how clueless you are about this. The Vikings were 29th in total offense in 2015 and they were 31st in passing offense. That is pathetic. I have no clue where 12th is coming from with anything and any site that did have our offense somehow in the middle of the pack (which isnt possible) it was simply because of......Adrian Peterson. Not Teddy Bridgewater. That literally cant be anymore obvious. Leading rusher in the league vs. bottom barrel passing offense. That's like saying Luke Longley lead the Bulls to 6 championships, not Jordan

That same year, our rushing offense was 4th and our defense was 13th in total defense.

So you tell me what got us to the playoffs? It sure wasnt Teddy Bridgewater and his 31st ranked passing offense we had.

It was Adrian Peterson and the defense. No less at years end in 2015 and in the Seattle playoff game, our defense was top 5 in the league throughout weeks 15 into the playoffs.

In Teddy's two years, we were 28th and 31st in passing offense. In Bradfords one year, we were 18th. Cant make it anymore clear than that. So you can take whatever those stats are that you pulled out of the clouds and toss them out the window because again, you truly have no idea what you're talking about. You're just digging yourself a deeper hole at this point.


POINTS PER DRIVE!!! NOT PER GAME.

I told you again why. They had far fewer possession for and against then the league avg. so points per game stats were skewed. To correctly get an accurate picture is to use PPD.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats2015

They scored 1.96 PPD while giving up 1.77 PPD. (I mixed up the rankings but nevertheless the defense was NOT elite in 2015). It was slightly above avg.

99.9% of people do not know this stuff. It was a myth that the Vikings defense was elite in 2015. It wasn't. It was better last year coming in at 7th PPD.

Why do people argue about stuff they don't know about? :wallbang:


Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:14 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:41 pm
Posts: 6041
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
FireSpieldope wrote:

POINTS PER DRIVE!!! NOT PER GAME.

I told you again why. They had far fewer possession for and against then the league avg. so points per game stats were skewed. To correctly get an accurate picture is to use PPD.


Look - I'm not looking to be a contrarian, but even football outsiders has the following disclaimer on their website:

Quote:
These stats are computed from NFL Drive Charts and are not adjusted for strength of schedule or situation.
(Emphasis mine).


FireSpieldope wrote:
99.9% of people do not know this stuff. It was a myth that the Vikings defense was elite in 2015. It wasn't. It was better last year coming in at 7th PPD.


Again, without taking into context other factors that might affect the results you can have a misleading result. You actually did factor in other data (which you were right to do so) so when I used the Tommy Kramer YPA stats to ask if he was "bad." You correctly pointed out that Kramer was a QB in the 80s when the rules did not favor offenses as much as they do now. You were right to point that out, and it is a perfect illustration as to why you can't blindly follow any statistic without considering the totality of the circumstances.

I'd have to compare strength of schedules for the two years you mention and look at field positions in drives before I could come to any conclusions. If the defense was often playing against a "short field," they would naturally surrender more points per drive even if they were objectively "better." I just don't know the answer to those questions, and you have not provided that data to back up your assertion(s).

_________________
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!


Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:41 pm
Profile
Backup

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:35 am
Posts: 70
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
Just Me wrote:
FireSpieldope wrote:

POINTS PER DRIVE!!! NOT PER GAME.

I told you again why. They had far fewer possession for and against then the league avg. so points per game stats were skewed. To correctly get an accurate picture is to use PPD.


Look - I'm not looking to be a contrarian, but even football outsiders has the following disclaimer on their website:

Quote:
These stats are computed from NFL Drive Charts and are not adjusted for strength of schedule or situation.
(Emphasis mine).


FireSpieldope wrote:
99.9% of people do not know this stuff. It was a myth that the Vikings defense was elite in 2015. It wasn't. It was better last year coming in at 7th PPD.


Again, without taking into context other factors that might affect the results you can have a misleading result. You actually did factor in other data (which you were right to do so) so when I used the Tommy Kramer YPA stats to ask if he was "bad." You correctly pointed out that Kramer was a QB in the 80s when the rules did not favor offenses as much as they do now. You were right to point that out, and it is a perfect illustration as to why you can't blindly follow any statistic without considering the totality of the circumstances.

I'd have to compare strength of schedules for the two years you mention and look at field positions in drives before I could come to any conclusions. If the defense was often playing against a "short field," they would naturally surrender more points per drive even if they were objectively "better." I just don't know the answer to those questions, and you have not provided that data to back up your assertion(s).


Of course you are correct that you could dig even deeper to get a more accurate result, but I doubt it changes much either way. It surely won't make the Vikings defense all of a sudden top 5 like most here probably thought they were. The Vikings had such a slow paced offense and a bend but don't break defense that they just had a lot fewer possessions then the avg. A team that passes a lot or runs some hurry up is going to have more points and more points given up. Not that hard to figure out.


Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:05 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 pm
Posts: 1386
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
FireSpieldope wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
FireSpieldope wrote:
The reality was that the Offense was BETTER then the Defense that year. 12th versus 14th. Hate to break it to ya! :welcome


Wtf stat are you even looking at?? That just shows how clueless you are about this. The Vikings were 29th in total offense in 2015 and they were 31st in passing offense. That is pathetic. I have no clue where 12th is coming from with anything and any site that did have our offense somehow in the middle of the pack (which isnt possible) it was simply because of......Adrian Peterson. Not Teddy Bridgewater. That literally cant be anymore obvious. Leading rusher in the league vs. bottom barrel passing offense. That's like saying Luke Longley lead the Bulls to 6 championships, not Jordan

That same year, our rushing offense was 4th and our defense was 13th in total defense.

So you tell me what got us to the playoffs? It sure wasnt Teddy Bridgewater and his 31st ranked passing offense we had.

It was Adrian Peterson and the defense. No less at years end in 2015 and in the Seattle playoff game, our defense was top 5 in the league throughout weeks 15 into the playoffs.

In Teddy's two years, we were 28th and 31st in passing offense. In Bradfords one year, we were 18th. Cant make it anymore clear than that. So you can take whatever those stats are that you pulled out of the clouds and toss them out the window because again, you truly have no idea what you're talking about. You're just digging yourself a deeper hole at this point.


POINTS PER DRIVE!!! NOT PER GAME.

I told you again why. They had far fewer possession for and against then the league avg. so points per game stats were skewed. To correctly get an accurate picture is to use PPD.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats2015

They scored 1.96 PPD while giving up 1.77 PPD. (I mixed up the rankings but nevertheless the defense was NOT elite in 2015). It was slightly above avg.

99.9% of people do not know this stuff. It was a myth that the Vikings defense was elite in 2015. It wasn't. It was better last year coming in at 7th PPD.

Why do people argue about stuff they don't know about? :wallbang:

There are two sets of stats that matter.
Points for, points against.
Wins vs losses.
I think the points per drive stat is inflated by kicking a bunch of fgs. Which we did a lot of in lieu of tds.

_________________
Image
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter


Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:38 pm
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17696
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
mansquatch wrote:
Please stop feeding the troll.
Amen.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:58 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17696
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
Why don't you all take it to PM? You all keep repeating the same thing and acting like kids who are up past their bedtime.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4539
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
PurpleMustReign wrote:
Why don't you all take it to PM? You all keep repeating the same thing and acting like kids who are up past their bedtime.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk


It'd be even better if the troll on here was banned but that's just me. Same "Spieldope" and "Dumpford" crap that he always posts on here. Pretty childish if you ask me

_________________
Image


Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:08 pm
Profile
Backup

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:35 am
Posts: 70
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
Why don't you all take it to PM? You all keep repeating the same thing and acting like kids who are up past their bedtime.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk


It'd be even better if the troll on here was banned but that's just me. Same "Spieldope" and "Dumpford" crap that he always posts on here. Pretty childish if you ask me


Of course you'd love to have opposing viewpoints banned. Especially when they destroy your narrative.

To the other guy a few posts up- FG's would lower the points per drive since 3 is less then 6 or 7.


Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:50 am
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 2588
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
To me, the only stat that matters is Wins vs Losses. Passing stats are fun but I don't think they mean much. You can score a butt load of points but don't convert that critical 3rd down and lose. You can struggle completing passes but make critical completions on a couple of 3rd and longs to get the team in FG range to win the game.

Bradford is the better passer, no doubt. He throws a pretty ball and can fit his passes into tight windows.But looking through his career so far, he has yet to show he can lead a team. Maybe it's just bad timing. Maybe if he had a better team in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, and 2016. Maybe if he didn't get hurt in 2013-2014 or 2017. He's shown flashes but his career is basically a lot of what ifs and maybes.
Hopefully, the stars will align for him in the second half of the season. I'm not holding my breath.

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:51 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4539
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
FireSpieldope wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
Why don't you all take it to PM? You all keep repeating the same thing and acting like kids who are up past their bedtime.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk


It'd be even better if the troll on here was banned but that's just me. Same "Spieldope" and "Dumpford" crap that he always posts on here. Pretty childish if you ask me


Of course you'd love to have opposing viewpoints banned. Especially when they destroy your narrative.

To the other guy a few posts up- FG's would lower the points per drive since 3 is less then 6 or 7.


:lol: "Destroy my narrative"? Not even close pal. You're so full of yourself arent you? Ya know whats sad, you think you're so on-point with everything yet not a single person on here agrees with you. That just goes to show you how asinine your outlook is on this whole thing.

And it has nothing to do with opposing viewpoints. Its your insults and arrogance towards others that should get you banned.

_________________
Image


Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:03 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:24 am
Posts: 1521
Location: south minneapolis
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
Why don't you all take it to PM? You all keep repeating the same thing and acting like kids who are up past their bedtime.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk


It'd be even better if the troll on here was banned but that's just me. Same "Spieldope" and "Dumpford" crap that he always posts on here. Pretty childish if you ask me


I haven't "foed" him (I just don't do that), but I automatically skip right by and don't read a word he says.

Kind of got past that kind of stuff in Jr. High.

_________________
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."


Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:28 am
Profile
Backup

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:35 am
Posts: 70
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
FireSpieldope wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Why don't you all take it to PM? You all keep repeating the same thing and acting like kids who are up past their bedtime.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

It'd be even better if the troll on here was banned but that's just me. Same "Spieldope" and "Dumpford" crap that he always posts on here. Pretty childish if you ask me


Of course you'd love to have opposing viewpoints banned. Especially when they destroy your narrative.

To the other guy a few posts up- FG's would lower the points per drive since 3 is less then 6 or 7.


:lol: "Destroy my narrative"? Not even close pal. You're so full of yourself arent you? Ya know whats sad, you think you're so on-point with everything yet not a single person on here agrees with you. That just goes to show you how asinine your outlook is on this whole thing.

And it has nothing to do with opposing viewpoints. Its your insults and arrogance towards others that should get you banned.


It's not called the cold hard truth for no good reason. Take off those purple goggles and you'd agree with me and the other experts that Sam is a broken down marginal QB. Do you honestly think he is a potential Superbowl QB at this point? I'm not sure what your goal is here? :roll:


Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:12 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4539
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
FireSpieldope wrote:
It's not called the cold hard truth for no good reason. Take off those purple goggles and you'd agree with me and the other experts that Sam is a broken down marginal QB. Do you honestly think he is a potential Superbowl QB at this point? I'm not sure what your goal is here? :roll:


Dude listen to yourself. You just used yourself and "experts" in the same sentence. :lol: Yet nobody on here agrees with you. Literally zero people and most think you're nothing but a troll. Which makes me even more ticked that I'm still sitting here giving you the time of day. I fault myself on that one but your statements are so far out of line with you insults and arrogance that I felt like I had to address them. Especially when you went after guys like Kapp

I dont have a clue what experts you're talking about. You think Teddy is a SB caliber QB?? The same QB that has had the 28th and 31st passing offenses in the NFL both years he started?? That single stat alone trumps your argument. And just to go along with your laughable post, Sam and Teddy play for the same team. So the term "purple goggles" has nothing to do with this argument. I like both QBs but think Bradford is better. They are on the same team. Why would I have "purple goggles" for Sam and not Teddy??? Again, you literally have no idea what you're talking about. You arent changing my mind or anyone elses on here so stop trolling and posting the same crap in every thread you can and move on. Literally give it a rest. You arent proving anything to us. Face the fact. Pull out every stat you want, the numbers are the numbers and they are well in Bradfords favor. It's done and over with. You have your opinion and we all have ours. Lets leave it at that.

_________________
Image


Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:07 pm
Profile
Backup

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:35 am
Posts: 70
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
FireSpieldope wrote:
It's not called the cold hard truth for no good reason. Take off those purple goggles and you'd agree with me and the other experts that Sam is a broken down marginal QB. Do you honestly think he is a potential Superbowl QB at this point? I'm not sure what your goal is here? :roll:


Dude listen to yourself. You just used yourself and "experts" in the same sentence. :lol: Yet nobody on here agrees with you. Literally zero people and most think you're nothing but a troll. Which makes me even more ticked that I'm still sitting here giving you the time of day. I fault myself on that one but your statements are so far out of line with you insults and arrogance that I felt like I had to address them. Especially when you went after guys like Kapp

I dont have a clue what experts you're talking about. You think Teddy is a SB caliber QB?? The same QB that has had the 28th and 31st passing offenses in the NFL both years he started?? That single stat alone trumps your argument. And just to go along with your laughable post, Sam and Teddy play for the same team. So the term "purple goggles" has nothing to do with this argument. I like both QBs but think Bradford is better. They are on the same team. Why would I have "purple goggles" for Sam and not Teddy??? Again, you literally have no idea what you're talking about. You arent changing my mind or anyone elses on here so stop trolling and posting the same crap in every thread you can and move on. Literally give it a rest. You arent proving anything to us. Face the fact. Pull out every stat you want, the numbers are the numbers and they are well in Bradfords favor. It's done and over with. You have your opinion and we all have ours. Lets leave it at that.


See you're using overall game stats again trying to bash Teddys great performances. You think his 7.2 YPA is an aberration? The Vikings in 2015 had far fewer possessions for and against. You can't use TD's per game or Scoring per game. You need to use PPD to see how the offense and defense really were. We went over this several times yet you still can't figure it out. The Defense was 12th in the NFL and the Offense was 14th. Both slightly above avg.

In 2016 the Offense dropped to 22nd in the league (was 28th before the garbage time in the Bears game BTW!) in PPD. The defense got much better last year leading the team to it's first 5 wins. Eventually they gave in though as the offense continued to be near dead last in scoring. They could only do so much. The fell back to 7th in PPD to finish the year.

Teddy did a remarkable job in 2015. Not many QB's could win 11 games in that situation. Having AP hinders the passing game, not only were they predictable. He couldn't pass block well. So much more then Avg the defense knew it was a pass because when the run failed on 1st and 2nd down all the pressure was on Teddy to pick up the 3rd and 5-10 or whatever. He managed to do a great ob. Remember again, the pass blocking was horrible, part of which of course was due to the predictable play calling and the inability of the RB to pass block.


Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:40 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4539
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
FireSpieldope wrote:
See you're using overall game stats again trying to bash Teddys great performances. You think his 7.2 YPA is an aberration? The Vikings in 2015 had far fewer possessions for and against. You can't use TD's per game or Scoring per game. You need to use PPD to see how the offense and defense really were. We went over this several times yet you still can't figure it out. The Defense was 12th in the NFL and the Offense was 14th. Both slightly above avg.

In 2016 the Offense dropped to 22nd in the league (was 28th before the garbage time in the Bears game BTW!) in PPD. The defense got much better last year leading the team to it's first 5 wins. Eventually they gave in though as the offense continued to be near dead last in scoring. They could only do so much. The fell back to 7th in PPD to finish the year.

Teddy did a remarkable job in 2015. Not many QB's could win 11 games in that situation. Having AP hinders the passing game, not only were they predictable. He couldn't pass block well. So much more then Avg the defense knew it was a pass because when the run failed on 1st and 2nd down all the pressure was on Teddy to pick up the 3rd and 5-10 or whatever. He managed to do a great ob. Remember again, the pass blocking was horrible, part of which of course was due to the predictable play calling and the inability of the RB to pass block.


But again, you refuse to stop arguing. Like I said, you arent changing anyones mind. You're wasting your time and energy at this point trying to prove any more to us. It just isnt working.

_________________
Image


Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:52 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Posts: 2867
Location: Missouri
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
But again, you refuse to stop arguing. Like I said, you arent changing anyones mind. You're wasting your time and energy at this point trying to prove any more to us. It just isnt working.
Who's the pot and who's the kettle?


Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:08 pm
Profile
Backup

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:35 am
Posts: 70
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
FireSpieldope wrote:
See you're using overall game stats again trying to bash Teddys great performances. You think his 7.2 YPA is an aberration? The Vikings in 2015 had far fewer possessions for and against. You can't use TD's per game or Scoring per game. You need to use PPD to see how the offense and defense really were. We went over this several times yet you still can't figure it out. The Defense was 12th in the NFL and the Offense was 14th. Both slightly above avg.

In 2016 the Offense dropped to 22nd in the league (was 28th before the garbage time in the Bears game BTW!) in PPD. The defense got much better last year leading the team to it's first 5 wins. Eventually they gave in though as the offense continued to be near dead last in scoring. They could only do so much. The fell back to 7th in PPD to finish the year.

Teddy did a remarkable job in 2015. Not many QB's could win 11 games in that situation. Having AP hinders the passing game, not only were they predictable. He couldn't pass block well. So much more then Avg the defense knew it was a pass because when the run failed on 1st and 2nd down all the pressure was on Teddy to pick up the 3rd and 5-10 or whatever. He managed to do a great ob. Remember again, the pass blocking was horrible, part of which of course was due to the predictable play calling and the inability of the RB to pass block.


But again, you refuse to stop arguing. Like I said, you arent changing anyones mind. You're wasting your time and energy at this point trying to prove any more to us. It just isnt working.


It's not an argument. You don't understand reality so I have to educate you. You keep repeating meaningless stats. If you watched the games in 2015 you'd know Teddy was a great player that season. Heck he went to the Probowl (sure as an alternate, but still went!).

So I suppose all those Probowl voters are fools too? :tongue:


Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:09 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4539
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
DK Sweets wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
But again, you refuse to stop arguing. Like I said, you arent changing anyones mind. You're wasting your time and energy at this point trying to prove any more to us. It just isnt working.
Who's the pot and who's the kettle?


Good one

_________________
Image


Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:34 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6470
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
Wow. This is hilarious.

Stay off VMB for ONE DAY, and Spieldope has completely buried himself under his "expert opinions."

A word of advice, Spieldope. Go away. You're not an expert. You're not educating anyone. You're simply ... annoying. Like a 3-year-old who continually pees his pants just because he CAN and it's fun to pi$$ off his parents.

You are now on my foe list. Enjoy kindergarten.

_________________
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.


Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:43 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4539
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Bradfords knee??
FireSpieldope wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
FireSpieldope wrote:
See you're using overall game stats again trying to bash Teddys great performances. You think his 7.2 YPA is an aberration? The Vikings in 2015 had far fewer possessions for and against. You can't use TD's per game or Scoring per game. You need to use PPD to see how the offense and defense really were. We went over this several times yet you still can't figure it out. The Defense was 12th in the NFL and the Offense was 14th. Both slightly above avg.

In 2016 the Offense dropped to 22nd in the league (was 28th before the garbage time in the Bears game BTW!) in PPD. The defense got much better last year leading the team to it's first 5 wins. Eventually they gave in though as the offense continued to be near dead last in scoring. They could only do so much. The fell back to 7th in PPD to finish the year.

Teddy did a remarkable job in 2015. Not many QB's could win 11 games in that situation. Having AP hinders the passing game, not only were they predictable. He couldn't pass block well. So much more then Avg the defense knew it was a pass because when the run failed on 1st and 2nd down all the pressure was on Teddy to pick up the 3rd and 5-10 or whatever. He managed to do a great ob. Remember again, the pass blocking was horrible, part of which of course was due to the predictable play calling and the inability of the RB to pass block.


But again, you refuse to stop arguing. Like I said, you arent changing anyones mind. You're wasting your time and energy at this point trying to prove any more to us. It just isnt working.


It's not an argument. You don't understand reality so I have to educate you. You keep repeating meaningless stats. If you watched the games in 2015 you'd know Teddy was a great player that season. Heck he went to the Probowl (sure as an alternate, but still went!).

So I suppose all those Probowl voters are fools too? :tongue:


Dude omg. Fans are part of the pro bowl voting dude. The QBs in the pro bowl that year were Carr, Tyrod, Eli, Wilson, Teddy and Winston!!! Who the hell else is going to play in the pro bowl when literally every elite to legit NFL QB was not playing in it. I think next in line was Ryan Fitzpatrick if they didnt choose Teddy. Fricken Tyrod Taylor made it for god sakes. I live near Buffalo and watch them a lot. He's not a good QB. At all.

You're really trying to "educate me" by using pro bowl voting :lol: :lol:

No less you just said Teddy was a GREAT player that year. He was at best average. He threw 14 TDs in 17 games. Barely threw for over 3000 yards. Quit using the excuse of AP hindering the pass offense. Brett Favre threw 33 touchdowns in '09 and AP went for 1400 and 18 TDs. He didnt hinder the pass offense. We just didnt have good QBs here since he's been around outside of Favre and Teddy was a far, far second. Thats probably the biggest joke of an excuse that I've ever heard. Who hindered Teddy's production in '14?? Since AP wasnt around??? Because he also threw 14 TDs that year along with 12 INTs.

Your excuses are lame man. Trust me, there is a reason not a single person on here agrees with your take. And you cant take the hint. Instead, you're putting yourself in the same sentence as "experts" :lol: This argument alone has made me realize your football knowledge is as low as it goes. I have you foed. I'm not reading anymore of your posts. You've wasted enough of my time and energy. I'm mad at myself that I actually put this much time into it. Instead of trying to come on here and "educate" us, maybe you should go try and educate yourself first

_________________
Image


Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:57 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.