Vikings Message Board.Com
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/

Bradfords knee??
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29929
Page 6 of 10

Author:  Nunin [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

Norv Zimmer wrote:
Nunin wrote:
Norv Zimmer wrote:
I really don't think Keenum played all that bad last week.

1. His line played like garbage.
2. Put in Sirles at LG please.
3. Give the ball to Cook more, no more RB rotation.
4. Full week of prep as starter this week.
5. Home game.

It's true Keenum did not play bad...he also did absolutely nothing to make a difference. granted he was not expected to play.

a game manager is not what this team needs. IMO a legit nfl qb needs to show an aptitude for making plays and overcoming any shortcomings in front of him.
the crappy thing about the zimmer era for me is that fact that his defense has been so good and keeps the game close enough that marginal qb play is actually tolerable to them. as a result, just about any semi experienced qb could win or barely lose a game for this team. mired in mediocrity, as they say.
bradford was the first qb in zimmers time to actually display a full arsenal of qb capacity(sans mobility). in spite of a historically bad line last season he set records and in his first game this season had the best game for a viking qb since 2009.

i would have a very short hook on keenam.....i think this team needs to take a "shot downfield".
i think this organization creates it's own luck with some of it's conservative tendencies.


I concur, what pisses me off most about this team is how on 3rd and 15 they run a draw play to Mckinnon instead of throwing it deep.

There's still so much that could happen this season....i just hope they shift their thinking some, cause I believe they a great assemblage of talent.

Author:  808vikingsfan [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

Norv Zimmer wrote:
I really don't think Keenum played all that bad last week.

1. His line played like garbage.
2. Put in Sirles at LG please.
3. Give the ball to Cook more, no more RB rotation.
4. Full week of prep as starter this week.
5. Home game.



Plus, he played very well against TB last year as a starter. I have a feeling he's going to look really good this week.

Author:  808vikingsfan [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

Nunin wrote:
i would have a very short hook on keenam.....i think this team needs to take a "shot downfield".
i think this organization creates it's own luck with some of it's conservative tendencies.



What happens if you pull Keenum out early and Sloter looks completely lost out there? I think Keenum is the starter unless he gets hurt.

Author:  808vikingsfan [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

Quote:
Kevin Seifert‏@SeifertESPN

Mike Zimmer era:
2014: Peterson suspension
2015: NFC North title
2016: Bridgewater/Peterson hurt
2017: Bradford knee injury in Week 1

Author:  Norv Zimmer [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

808vikingsfan wrote:
Quote:
Kevin Seifert‏@SeifertESPN

Mike Zimmer era:
2014: Peterson suspension
2015: NFC North title
2016: Bridgewater/Peterson hurt
2017: Bradford knee injury in Week 1


Cursed.

Author:  Nunin [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

808vikingsfan wrote:
Nunin wrote:
i would have a very short hook on keenam.....i think this team needs to take a "shot downfield".
i think this organization creates it's own luck with some of it's conservative tendencies.



What happens if you pull Keenum out early and Sloter looks completely lost out there? I think Keenum is the starter unless he gets hurt.

I'm not really saying pull Keenum out as much as I am saying start Sloter just to see what he has.So the short hook comment was in the context of a week to week scenario vs a qtr by qtr thing. It's their right and quite frankly linked to their due diligence as an organization to know what they are paying for in a player. Keenum is a known IMO.
If Sloter fails that's fine by me then put Keenum back in and shoot for the best. My point is that there is a basic understanding what Keenum is capable of.....just like when Seattle signed that backup QB from the Packers. They gave Wilson a crack because they saw something possible with him. My question is, is this organization even open to that kind of move...and would they see that in a guy to begin with? What if Sloter, like Diggs is just a stud? How would anyone know? Diggs got his shot only because of injury and he turned out to be the best receiver on the roster from the getgo. Am I really to believe that Adam Theilen just now figured out how to get open and catch the ball? Run fast? Obviously there are more receivers to hop over than QBs on the depth chart....but considering how important the position is and the current status of the two franchise hopes. I think it's worth a shot. Maybe they'll be forced into it....and that is kind of like a guy holding the ball afraid to take a shot downfield IMO. Sloter is most likely a week or 2 away from being comfortable with the offense anyway....but if Sam is fooked, then I'd like to see the kid get a shot, the sooner the better.

Sometimes....maybe a lot of the time, you just don't know what you can get out of a player or what he is worth until you put him in there when it counts. I heard Ponder looked flawless in practice.

I'm not arguing with you....just voicing some of the frustration I have at what I see as this organization frittering away opportunities and talent based on what appears to me to be poor instincts. so, sorry for the rant

Author:  S197 [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

Nunin wrote:
isn't james andrews like the grim reaper of knees?


Put Sloter in!


I would categorize him more as a knee expert. He's worked on a lot of ACL injuries. I think this includes Adrian Peterson.

Author:  mansquatch [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

Norv Zimmer wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:
Quote:
Kevin Seifert‏@SeifertESPN

Mike Zimmer era:
2014: Peterson suspension
2015: NFC North title
2016: Bridgewater/Peterson hurt
2017: Bradford knee injury in Week 1


Cursed.


My sentiments exactly. Why can't we have nice things?

Author:  S197 [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

petev_sj wrote:
I hope the Mods for this site is ok with me asking this question. I apologize if it's not appropriate.

Does anyone think Sam Bradford's non contact injury was a long term contract negotiation ploy?


I don't have an issue asking the question. From a moderator perspective, I think questions about the team or the team's players are fair game. We mainly focus on keeping things like politics, religion, good fan/bad fan stuff off the site.

As a fan, I think it's unlikely. If he needs to move on, seems like a lose/lose situation for Bradford. Either he's pulling a stunt to get paid or his knee puts him in jeopardy of having a long term career. Either scenario would be a big red flag for anyone signing him.

Author:  Nunin [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

S197 wrote:
Nunin wrote:
isn't james andrews like the grim reaper of knees?


Put Sloter in!


I would categorize him more as a knee expert. He's worked on a lot of ACL injuries. I think this includes Adrian Peterson.

yeah, I'm familiar with him as an expert, I just thought there was some controversy around him recently...but I couldn't find anything to support that.

Author:  Pondering Her Percy [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

Norv Zimmer wrote:
I really don't think Keenum played all that bad last week.

1. His line played like garbage.
2. Put in Sirles at LG please.
3. Give the ball to Cook more, no more RB rotation.
4. Full week of prep as starter this week.
5. Home game.


I'm feeling the same way. One thing he needs to do is step up into the pocket more but I am glad they ruled him out now and not 2 seconds before game time. Being home is a huge factor. I'm not ready to give up on Easton yet

Author:  Norv Zimmer [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

Nunin wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:
Nunin wrote:
i would have a very short hook on keenam.....i think this team needs to take a "shot downfield".
i think this organization creates it's own luck with some of it's conservative tendencies.



What happens if you pull Keenum out early and Sloter looks completely lost out there? I think Keenum is the starter unless he gets hurt.

I'm not really saying pull Keenum out as much as I am saying start Sloter just to see what he has.So the short hook comment was in the context of a week to week scenario vs a qtr by qtr thing. It's their right and quite frankly linked to their due diligence as an organization to know what they are paying for in a player. Keenum is a known IMO.
If Sloter fails that's fine by me then put Keenum back in and shoot for the best. My point is that there is a basic understanding what Keenum is capable of.....just like when Seattle signed that backup QB from the Packers. They gave Wilson a crack because they saw something possible with him. My question is, is this organization even open to that kind of move...and would they see that in a guy to begin with? What if Sloter, like Diggs is just a stud? How would anyone know? Diggs got his shot only because of injury and he turned out to be the best receiver on the roster from the getgo. Am I really to believe that Adam Theilen just now figured out how to get open and catch the ball? Run fast? Obviously there are more receivers to hop over than QBs on the depth chart....but considering how important the position is and the current status of the two franchise hopes. I think it's worth a shot. Maybe they'll be forced into it....and that is kind of like a guy holding the ball afraid to take a shot downfield IMO. Sloter is most likely a week or 2 away from being comfortable with the offense anyway....but if Sam is fooked, then I'd like to see the kid get a shot, the sooner the better.

Sometimes....maybe a lot of the time, you just don't know what you can get out of a player or what he is worth until you put him in there when it counts. I heard Ponder looked flawless in practice.

I'm not arguing with you....just voicing some of the frustration I have at what I see as this organization frittering away opportunities and talent based on what appears to me to be poor instincts. so, sorry for the rant



I kind of agree, but right now is not the time to throw a rookie in at QB who has been with the team for 2 weeks. Like I said in the first place Keenum didn't play terrible against the Steelers. We killed ourselves with stupid penalties and bad playcalling IMO.

Now, if Keenum plays this game and shows nothing then next week work Sloter with the ones and see what he can do. If nothing else next years draft is supposed to be one of the most QB heavy drafts ever.

Author:  Pondering Her Percy [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

Everyone saying put Sloter in, here is my question....

Are we in this to win games or are we here to see if we can find some miracle QB that we dug up off Denvers practice squad??

If Bradford is out for the year or most of the year and our season is in the tank, yeah you try Sloter then. Not when you're 1-1.

Author:  Norv Zimmer [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Norv Zimmer wrote:
I really don't think Keenum played all that bad last week.

1. His line played like garbage.
2. Put in Sirles at LG please.
3. Give the ball to Cook more, no more RB rotation.
4. Full week of prep as starter this week.
5. Home game.


I'm feeling the same way. One thing he needs to do is step up into the pocket more but I am glad they ruled him out now and not 2 seconds before game time. Being home is a huge factor. I'm not ready to give up on Easton yet


Easton was garbage last game and has had 4 penalties called on him in 2 games. That is pretty bad.

Author:  Norv Zimmer [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

PFF has him ranked as the 65th guard in football

Author:  Nunin [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Everyone saying put Sloter in, here is my question....

Are we in this to win games or are we here to see if we can find some miracle QB that we dug up off Denvers practice squad??

If Bradford is out for the year or most of the year and our season is in the tank, yeah you try Sloter then. Not when you're 1-1.

This is for Norv above too:

I don't think there is more than 2-3 people saying start Sloter.

I'm not saying start Sloter now.....which is why I sometimes/often will question the comprehension here. It literally says in my post that it's likely Sloter is at least a couple weeks way from understanding the offense and that yes it's week 3....and the jury is still out on Bradford.

HOWEVER, It is starting to look bad for Bradford and this franchise has a long track record of settling for the safe play, which in this case might be to play Keenam and pray TB will be sound on their way to an 8-8 record with excuses due to injury.

What I'm suggesting, that would actually represent , to me,a change in this current regimes mentality, is that if Bradford is still hobbling by week 5....throw Sloter out there. 8-8 is 8-8 regardless of qb ...and it's actually worse than 3-13 4-12 as far as missing the playoffs and getting a draft pick.

The questions I have:

Does anyone else see this as a legit direction? and Do you think this team would make that decision?

That's it really

Author:  Norv Zimmer [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

I am fine with putting Sloter out there IF Keenum is not producing. But, I think that this team can and will win with Case.

Author:  Nunin [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

Norv Zimmer wrote:
I am fine with putting Sloter out there IF Keenum is not producing. But, I think that this team can and will win with Case.

it's a distinct possibility. I'm not rooting agin it.

Author:  halfgiz [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

I sugguested give Sloter a little playing time at the end of the game if it is feasible.
It would give him a little game experience and we could get a look at him.

Easton is still the starter...But if he really struggles again for most of the game. At least get him out and get someone else in. Your not accomplishing nothing by letting him flounder.

Author:  soflavike [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

808vikingsfan wrote:
Nunin wrote:
i would have a very short hook on keenam.....i think this team needs to take a "shot downfield".
i think this organization creates it's own luck with some of it's conservative tendencies.



What happens if you pull Keenum out early and Sloter looks completely lost out there? I think Keenum is the starter unless he gets hurt.


Has Sloter even learned half the playbook yet? The kid just got signed a couple of weeks ago.

Author:  808vikingsfan [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

soflavike wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:
Nunin wrote:
i would have a very short hook on keenam.....i think this team needs to take a "shot downfield".
i think this organization creates it's own luck with some of it's conservative tendencies.



What happens if you pull Keenum out early and Sloter looks completely lost out there? I think Keenum is the starter unless he gets hurt.


Has Sloter even learned half the playbook yet? The kid just got signed a couple of weeks ago.


Last week he said he knows about 70 percent of the playbook.

Author:  VikingPaul73 [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

We know what we get with Keenum; we don't know what we get with Sloter

With Keenum, we have a 100% chance of losing by ~7 point

With Sloter we have a 90% chance of losing by 21+ and a 10% chance of winning

Start Sloter!!! Let's see what we have!!

Author:  dead_poet [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

VikingPaul73 wrote:
We know what we get with Keenum; we don't know what we get with Sloter

With Keenum, we have a 100% chance of losing by ~7 point

With Sloter we have a 90% chance of losing by 21+ and a 10% chance of winning

Start Sloter!!! Let's see what we have!!


He's been on the team, what, three weeks? I can't see how that'd backfire.

*coughJoshFreemancoughcough*

Author:  PurpleKoolaid [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

Looks like giving up that first round pick wasnt a very good move after all. Didnt have a lot of options but this was a high risk one Rick decided to pull the trigger on. And for now we Keenum, which doesnt make a lot of people happy, and another QB with a bum knee and more time to heal. And even then we dont know what we will have. Why cant the Vikings luck just change towards the better for a few years in a row?

Author:  mosscarter [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

This obviously doesn't look good. I mean if he didn't have a history of it; then it would be different. The truth is Sam has to lookout for himself because one more knee injury and his career is likely over. We just can't catch a break and it sucks. The guy has the game of his career and he's all smiles after the game and now hes out indefinitely. Just our luck.

Author:  J. Kapp 11 [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

OK, let's all gain some perspective here. Kyle Sloter is not the answer.

This is survival mode. Find a way to beat Tampa Bay and survive another week until Bradford can play again.

Case Keenum is not likely to throw for 400 yards to win the game, but we've got to find a way. Whether it's Dalvin Cook getting off in the running game, the defense scoring a TD, or a big play on special teams, something has to go right for the Vikings.

I remember being at the Cardinals game last year. We didn't play particularly well, especially on offense. But the defense and special teams won the game in front of a raucous crowd. Something like that needs to happen here again.

Survive until our quarterback returns. That's gotta be the mindset.

Author:  VikingLord [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Looks like giving up that first round pick wasnt a very good move after all. Didnt have a lot of options but this was a high risk one Rick decided to pull the trigger on. And for now we Keenum, which doesnt make a lot of people happy, and another QB with a bum knee and more time to heal. And even then we dont know what we will have. Why cant the Vikings luck just change towards the better for a few years in a row?


I don't think Spielman took on unusual or even unwarranted risk, especially considering the situation the Vikings were in with Bridgewater at that time and the hopes they had going into that season. If the move was high risk, it was more because Spielman gave up the 1st than because Bradford was particularly prone to injury. He did have an injury history, but had played at a high level post-injury and was entering the prime years of his career.

As far as luck goes, better luck would be nice, but lots of teams take injury hits to key players during the course of a season. Last year the Vikings started off 5-0 before key injuries hit and things fell apart. Maybe this year they start off 1-4 before Bradford returns and they win out. It's too early in the season to know if this is a defining event or a speedbump on the road to glory.

Author:  Laserman [ Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

Why do I have the feeling this Bradford knee thing is gonna turn into weeks of no starts? Being a Vikings fan for over 40 years will do that to you sooner or later. Hard to stay optimistic

Author:  dead_poet [ Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

Laserman wrote:
Why do I have the feeling this Bradford knee thing is gonna turn into weeks of no starts? Being a Vikings fan for over 40 years will do that to you sooner or later. Hard to stay optimistic


Because it will. Non-contact injury to a ACL-repaired knee isn't going to suddenly be okay after a week or two.

Author:  Nunin [ Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bradfords knee??

I don't feel optimistic about long term Bradford. I feel mostly the same about Teddy.
I don't believe Keenum is any more capable of a SB march than 2017 Kaepernick.
I don't associate those feels with being a lifelong Vikes fan...although the sentiment has merit, it just looks to be the reality from my POV.

Page 6 of 10 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/