Bradfords knee??

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Bradfords knee??

Post by Nunin »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Everyone saying put Sloter in, here is my question....

Are we in this to win games or are we here to see if we can find some miracle QB that we dug up off Denvers practice squad??

If Bradford is out for the year or most of the year and our season is in the tank, yeah you try Sloter then. Not when you're 1-1.
This is for Norv above too:

I don't think there is more than 2-3 people saying start Sloter.

I'm not saying start Sloter now.....which is why I sometimes/often will question the comprehension here. It literally says in my post that it's likely Sloter is at least a couple weeks way from understanding the offense and that yes it's week 3....and the jury is still out on Bradford.

HOWEVER, It is starting to look bad for Bradford and this franchise has a long track record of settling for the safe play, which in this case might be to play Keenam and pray TB will be sound on their way to an 8-8 record with excuses due to injury.

What I'm suggesting, that would actually represent , to me,a change in this current regimes mentality, is that if Bradford is still hobbling by week 5....throw Sloter out there. 8-8 is 8-8 regardless of qb ...and it's actually worse than 3-13 4-12 as far as missing the playoffs and getting a draft pick.

The questions I have:

Does anyone else see this as a legit direction? and Do you think this team would make that decision?

That's it really
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I am fine with putting Sloter out there IF Keenum is not producing. But, I think that this team can and will win with Case.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

Norv Zimmer wrote:I am fine with putting Sloter out there IF Keenum is not producing. But, I think that this team can and will win with Case.
it's a distinct possibility. I'm not rooting agin it.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I sugguested give Sloter a little playing time at the end of the game if it is feasible.
It would give him a little game experience and we could get a look at him.

Easton is still the starter...But if he really struggles again for most of the game. At least get him out and get someone else in. Your not accomplishing nothing by letting him flounder.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

808vikingsfan wrote:
What happens if you pull Keenum out early and Sloter looks completely lost out there? I think Keenum is the starter unless he gets hurt.
Has Sloter even learned half the playbook yet? The kid just got signed a couple of weeks ago.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

soflavike wrote: Has Sloter even learned half the playbook yet? The kid just got signed a couple of weeks ago.
Last week he said he knows about 70 percent of the playbook.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

We know what we get with Keenum; we don't know what we get with Sloter

With Keenum, we have a 100% chance of losing by ~7 point

With Sloter we have a 90% chance of losing by 21+ and a 10% chance of winning

Start Sloter!!! Let's see what we have!!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

VikingPaul73 wrote:We know what we get with Keenum; we don't know what we get with Sloter

With Keenum, we have a 100% chance of losing by ~7 point

With Sloter we have a 90% chance of losing by 21+ and a 10% chance of winning

Start Sloter!!! Let's see what we have!!
He's been on the team, what, three weeks? I can't see how that'd backfire.

*coughJoshFreemancoughcough*
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Looks like giving up that first round pick wasnt a very good move after all. Didnt have a lot of options but this was a high risk one Rick decided to pull the trigger on. And for now we Keenum, which doesnt make a lot of people happy, and another QB with a bum knee and more time to heal. And even then we dont know what we will have. Why cant the Vikings luck just change towards the better for a few years in a row?
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

This obviously doesn't look good. I mean if he didn't have a history of it; then it would be different. The truth is Sam has to lookout for himself because one more knee injury and his career is likely over. We just can't catch a break and it sucks. The guy has the game of his career and he's all smiles after the game and now hes out indefinitely. Just our luck.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

OK, let's all gain some perspective here. Kyle Sloter is not the answer.

This is survival mode. Find a way to beat Tampa Bay and survive another week until Bradford can play again.

Case Keenum is not likely to throw for 400 yards to win the game, but we've got to find a way. Whether it's Dalvin Cook getting off in the running game, the defense scoring a TD, or a big play on special teams, something has to go right for the Vikings.

I remember being at the Cardinals game last year. We didn't play particularly well, especially on offense. But the defense and special teams won the game in front of a raucous crowd. Something like that needs to happen here again.

Survive until our quarterback returns. That's gotta be the mindset.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Looks like giving up that first round pick wasnt a very good move after all. Didnt have a lot of options but this was a high risk one Rick decided to pull the trigger on. And for now we Keenum, which doesnt make a lot of people happy, and another QB with a bum knee and more time to heal. And even then we dont know what we will have. Why cant the Vikings luck just change towards the better for a few years in a row?
I don't think Spielman took on unusual or even unwarranted risk, especially considering the situation the Vikings were in with Bridgewater at that time and the hopes they had going into that season. If the move was high risk, it was more because Spielman gave up the 1st than because Bradford was particularly prone to injury. He did have an injury history, but had played at a high level post-injury and was entering the prime years of his career.

As far as luck goes, better luck would be nice, but lots of teams take injury hits to key players during the course of a season. Last year the Vikings started off 5-0 before key injuries hit and things fell apart. Maybe this year they start off 1-4 before Bradford returns and they win out. It's too early in the season to know if this is a defining event or a speedbump on the road to glory.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Why do I have the feeling this Bradford knee thing is gonna turn into weeks of no starts? Being a Vikings fan for over 40 years will do that to you sooner or later. Hard to stay optimistic
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Laserman wrote:Why do I have the feeling this Bradford knee thing is gonna turn into weeks of no starts? Being a Vikings fan for over 40 years will do that to you sooner or later. Hard to stay optimistic
Because it will. Non-contact injury to a ACL-repaired knee isn't going to suddenly be okay after a week or two.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

I don't feel optimistic about long term Bradford. I feel mostly the same about Teddy.
I don't believe Keenum is any more capable of a SB march than 2017 Kaepernick.
I don't associate those feels with being a lifelong Vikes fan...although the sentiment has merit, it just looks to be the reality from my POV.