Preseason Game 2 Vikings At Seattle

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Preseason Game 2 Vikings At Seattle

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Blair Walsh is such a bum. Any field goal he's made he's either pointed or looked over at the Vikings bench. Congrats dude, you're hitting preseason field goals. Too bad you can't hit them when they count. But he has the balls to taunt our sideline? That's laughable
I with they had shown Zimmer's face when Walsh did that.

THE GOOD: Dalvin Cook (several nice runs), Diggs (looked ready for the season), Jaleel Johnson (2nd solid game, he was a constant menace), Bucky Hodges (back to back long catches, the 2nd a nice TD), overall improved OL play across the board, no major injuries!

THE BAD: Heineke (looked even worse this week), Refs spot and review on the Floyd Catch (end of half, I believe).

THE UGLY: RUN D, especially bc of over pursuit, Special Teams ( Adam's fumble made me miss Cordarelle so much),
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Special teams are bad so far out side of the two kickers. The punters have been ok. I hate Paul Allen as the announcer.
The OL looked good yesterday. That was a nice change. Did Clemmings play at all?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Good: Elflein, Hill, Easton and O-line in general (0 sacks allowed, 1 hurry, Dalvin averaged 5.7 YPC vs. one of the best defenses and defensive lines), Diggs, Kendrick's, J. Johnson (I think he should start next week), Bower, Hunter (stud), Bucky as a receiver, Gedeon as a run-defender, kickers

Bad: Bradford (some ill-advised passes and missed open guys), Newman, Gedeon as a pass-defender, special teams (Adams, McKinnon, Coley). We're going to take a significant step back in the return game.

Ugly: Mac Alexander and our entire corner depth. Waynes better be back soon. Run defense. Get Tom Johnson out of there. He's a nickel rusher only.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Blair Walsh is such a bum. Any field goal he's made he's either pointed or looked over at the Vikings bench. Congrats dude, you're hitting preseason field goals. Too bad you can't hit them when they count. But he has the balls to taunt our sideline? That's laughable

And it's not like the Vikings did anything vindictive, trashed him publicly, or anything unprofessional whatsoever

They gave him more than enough chances, treated him more than fairly, and simply cut him after 2 years of shaky performances and blown games. People get cut all the time in the NFL

Just pathetic and classless by Walsh
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingPaul73 wrote:
And it's not like the Vikings did anything vindictive, trashed him publicly, or anything unprofessional whatsoever

They gave him more than enough chances, treated him more than fairly, and simply cut him after 2 years of shaky performances and blown games. People get cut all the time in the NFL

Just pathetic and classless by Walsh

He's a chippy guy and obviously he felt slighted by the Vikings. We can't be sure what all happened between him and the organization, but judging by how he has been in the past... I get the sense that he's a guy who looks for ways to get motivated and is easily offended. Whatever. He'll choke for them some day when it matters. I'd rather have a kicker who is just flatline. No need for emotional paroxysm with that position. :lol:
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Excellent point !!!! Maybe that overly emotional side of his personality is the root cause of his failings as a K!!!
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Blair Walsh is a straight up turd. I think i hate the Seahawks almost as much as I hate any other team in the NFL.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Not impressed by Sam, preseason or not, this year.

Our secondary looks bad, Waynes needs to play in these games, he and Rhodes are going to be the primary corners. We need to find someone to play slot. And maybe someone to stop the run.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Some good things last night...
Hodges With those two grabs for 55 yards, Hodges was the #Vikings' second-leading receiver on the night.

Jaleel Johnson again. He's had a heck of a night so far.

Tashawn Bower is just destroying the guy across from him. Bower out there chasing guys down in coverage, too.

David Morgan doesn't need speed he just gets yards - nice 10 yard catch.

And backup OL Sirles moves ahead of Treadwell in preseason receiving yards... :whistle:

The Bad...
#1 D gave up 4.6 yards per carry and almost 200 yds passing

Just three points from first-team offense but at least the line has looked better. And consider Reiff and Boone both out.

Jerick McKinnon's first carry of the preseason does not go well. Nailed in backfield for loss of 6.

I'm not sure what Edmond Robinson was doing, but on some plays ... He looked like he was lost his man.

Mack was getting turned around a lot last night. Really got smoked bad on the one play.

Vikings played 10 offensive linemen in Seattle, but third-year OL T.J. Clemmings wasn't one of them.
He is either dinged or he could be gone.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Looks like Blair Walsh was responding to some taunting from his ex-teammates:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2038 ... aunted-him
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Looks like Blair Walsh was responding to some taunting from his ex-teammates:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2038 ... aunted-him

His reaction is understandable when viewed in that light.

I've only seen about 1.5 quarters of the game so far. The starting OL looked good in the stretch, particularly when they started opening good running lanes for Cook. Cook has a nice burst through the hole but in these first two games, it looks to me like the first tackler brings him down more often than not. Maybe that's a misperception but I hope he'll be able to get the tough yards when necessary.

It's hard to get a read on the team at this time of year. They put together a nice opening drive only to self-destruct themselves into settling for a FG at the end of it. I hope they can break that particular habit and finish a lot more drives with TDs this season.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:

I've only seen about 1.5 quarters of the game so far. The starting OL looked good in the stretch, particularly when they started opening good running lanes for Cook. Cook has a nice burst through the hole but in these first two games, it looks to me like the first tackler brings him down more often than not. Maybe that's a misperception but I hope he'll be able to get the tough yards when necessary.

It's hard to get a read on the team at this time of year. They out together a nice opening drive only to self-destruct themselves into settling for a FG at the end of it. I hope they can break that particular habit and finish a lot more drives with TDs this season.
Have to gain yards on first down. I don't have the stats in front of me but I'd wager we were among the worst in the league on first down last year, leading to a ridiculous number of third and long situations. All starts up front.

I like how quick Cook gets downhill. Wish he could juke or step over a couple of the ankle tackles but he seems to be a step away from big chunk gains. They'll come. Good burst through the hole.

Blair could've been having fun or responding to his former teammates. I don't care about it at all.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

bradford had all the time in the world to throw last night and truthfully i wasn't all that impressed. the problem with floyd is we won't have him until week 5; if we can't find ways to score td's we could very well start the season 0-2 after playing the saints and then steelers on the road. i think pittsburgh averaged nearly 30 points a game last year. we simply don't score points and haven't for years.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Have to gain yards on first down. I don't have the stats in front of me but I'd wager we were among the worst in the league on first down last year, leading to a ridiculous number of third and long situations. All starts up front.

I like how quick Cook gets downhill. Wish he could juke or step over a couple of the ankle tackles but he seems to be a step away from big chunk gains. They'll come. Good burst through the hole.

Blair could've been having fun or responding to his former teammates. I don't care about it at all.
I don't either.

You're right that they need to do better on first down. It would set them up much better for success. They were 23rd in the league in yards per first down attempt last season.

They also need to avoid penalties in the red zone. I don't know where they've been ranked in that department over the last few years but it seems like they've had a tendency to turn good situations (ie: red zone possessions) into bad (long yardage situations).

I'm encouraged by the OL performance on Friday. They were obviously going against good defensive talent.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote:

It's hard to get a read on the team at this time of year. They put together a nice opening drive only to self-destruct themselves into settling for a FG at the end of it. I hope they can break that particular habit and finish a lot more drives with TDs this season.
I don't see Cook breaking tackles so far, but I've seen him make people miss, especially against Seattle. I recall Richard Sherman getting tackling a ghost on one run. I've also seen him move the pile a couple of times these first two games. What encouraged me was that he seemed to find his legs and his rhythm this week.

The offense is, on one hand, encouraging. They moved the ball well against a talented defense last night. On the other hand, the area that NEEDS to improve, red-zone offense, apparently has not. It's one thing to get stopped by a good defense, but two penalties on the same red-zone possession is disappointing in a huge way. Especially true since Zimmer & Co. have been emphasizing it. Don't know what has to happen to improve here, but we've got two weeks, so let's see what comes.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.