2017 Training Camp Updates

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2017 Training Camp Updates

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The run blocking news is encouraging. That was an area of tremendous weakness last season. The pass protection hasn't been as encouraging, but if they can get their YPC back up to a respective level from last year's terrible performance that will be a significant step forward on offense. It will also take pressure off the defense. A positive sign.

What is up with Trae Waynes? It feels like the guy is literally inches from being great.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

To provide some context to what the rushing could mean for the team:

In 2016 we had 380 attempts with a league worst 3.2 YPC.

An Average Offense in the NFL was closer to 409 carries with 4.2 YPC.

If we get to even average that is ~500 more yards of rushing or 31.25 yards per game. That is one more drive getting tinot the opponent's territory, and if you average over each drive it is probably another scoring opportunity at least. It will also translate to more TOP and probably for PF as well as helping win the field position battle for our defense.

Not as glamorous as passing stats by any means, but improving in this area will help that part of the offense as well. Encouraging news from the OL for a change. Hopefully they can keep it up and perform on Sundays.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Reiff participating in walkthrough this morning.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mansquatch wrote:What is up with Trae Waynes? It feels like the guy is literally inches from being great.
Sounds like he's been in position a lot (positive step) but still lacks in ability or awareness of getting his head around. Probably one of the harder things to manage. Hopefully it'll come.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Waynes is probably one of those players where we're going to have take the good with the bad. Lot's of PI's, lots of big plays.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The guys was fantastic physical talent. He can run with anybody. He just needs to learn to finish.

Reiff practicing is probably the best news of the camp so far.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I haven't heard very many negative things about Waynes coming out of camp. Most of it seems to be good coverage but Bradford fitting it in tight windows.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Robison, Brothers and Treadwell not practicing today.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

mansquatch wrote:The guys was fantastic physical talent. He can run with anybody. He just needs to learn to finish.

Reiff practicing is probably the best news of the camp so far.
At least he is always around the ball rather than leaving his man open by 7 yards.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Not able to make it to camp? These bloggers were there a couple of days and have some fun conversations, mostly about the offense. If you have the time, give them a listen.

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Day 14 Notebook

http://www.mnvikingscorner.com/2017/08/ ... s.html?m=1
Pass protection holds up better
This was one of the better days for the offensive line. They held up well in pass protection and there were less reps where the pocket collapsed. Right tackle Mike Remmers was winning more and left tackle Rashod Hill rebounded after a rough Monday. He won a rep against both Everson Griffen and Danielle Hunter during 1-on-1 work. He also handled them well in the team drills, providing the quarterbacks with more time to throw. There were less throws down the field, which also helped the amount of time blocks were held. Nonetheless, it was encouraging to see the tackle spots hold up well during 1-on-1 sessions, too. Leaving training camp, the one area everyone can feel better about is the run blocking. Rashod Hill and Mike Remmers have added so much value to this area of the offensive line. In addition, right guard Joe Berger had one of his best days. He won twice against defensive tackle Tom Johnson in 1-on-1 drills and opened a gaping hole for a Dalvin Cook run between the tackles. He has been up-and-down during camp, but performed better down the stretch.
JDLon
Rookie

Post by JDLon »

For me I think the chances of improving against last season will largely come down to this:
Cornerback Mackensie Alexander struggled to cover corner routes on Tuesday. He lost by a step to Isaac Fruetche and was unable to get his hands into the passing lane to break up a throw intended for wide receiver Jarius Wright. Alexander needs more reps to gain experience, so the preseason will be huge for him.
With Rhodes on one side Waynes and Alexander will see a lot of action anyway. Was it Rodgers who exposed Alexander as soon as he came on last season? Cap was solid in the slot, Alexander will need to have improved a lot from last year just to deliver that same standard.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

JDLon wrote:For me I think the chances of improving against last season will largely come down to this:
With Rhodes on one side Waynes and Alexander will see a lot of action anyway. Was it Rodgers who exposed Alexander as soon as he came on last season? Cap was solid in the slot, Alexander will need to have improved a lot from last year just to deliver that same standard.
This concerns me the most.....hope he gets the over the top help he may need until he settles in.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I would keep in mind that Terrence Newman is still on the team, even if we haven't heard his name much in camp. Nickel or Slot CB is a question, but we are not without answers.

The biggest question for the team is if and how much the Offensive Line plan can improve. We are seeing that if provided an opportunity, our skill positions can make plays.

Also, I believe the performance of the Offense will be the single biggest contributor to improvement by the defense.