Vikings Message Board.Com
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/

CBS Sports - Most Overrated and Underrated Vikings
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29854
Page 1 of 1

Author:  720pete [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:55 am ]
Post subject:  CBS Sports - Most Overrated and Underrated Vikings

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/photos/eac ... -for-2017/

What say you?

Overrated: Barr
He looked to be on his way to being a future star heading into the 2016 season. But he didn't come close to playing as expected. One of the better run-and-chase linebackers in the league in 2015, he wasn't the same player. He missed tackles and didn't get to the ball enough.

Underrated: Hunter
This third-year player is expected to be a full-time starter for the first time in his career. He has 18.5 sacks in his first two seasons, including 12.5 last season. He has a chance be one of the league's next great pass rushers.

Other teams:

Packers
Overrated: LB Clay Matthews
He is still considered a big-time player by some, but he hasn't been that in a few years. He was once a dominant player, but he isn't close to that anymore. He's solid, but not much more. He has a combined 11.5 sacks the past two seasons, although he has played inside a lot as well. He has also missed time with injuries, playing 12 games last season.

Underrated: LT David Bakhtiari
When all the good left tackles are discussed, his name rarely gets mentioned. But he has developed into one of the better pass protectors in the league, which is even more important with Aaron Rodgers throwing so much under center.

Bears
Overrated: RT Bobby Massie
It's hard to find one on their roster, but I went with Massie. The Bears gave Massie a three-year deal last spring as a free agent worth $19 million and he responded with a terrible season. Massie flashed with the Cardinals during his time with the team, which is why the Bears expected more from him last season.

Underrated: DT Akiem Hicks
He signed a two-year deal with the Bears last spring as a free agent and responded with a season that saw him play as the team's best down lineman. Hicks is a big man who commands the double, but he also can push the pocket, as his seven sacks attest. He can become an unrestricted free agent after the 2017 season, so this is a money year for him.

Lions
Overrated: TE Eric Ebron
He had 61 catches last season with one touchdown, but you expect so much more. Not only that, he isn't a great blocker in the run game. This former first-round pick has the tools to be so much more.

Underrated: DE Kerry Hyder
He is a self-made player who spent time on some practice squads before becoming a sometimes starter last season for the Lions. He led the team in sacks with 8.5 in 2016 although he started just two games. Hyder doesn't have great athletic ability or size, but he gets by with his effort and toughness.

Author:  autobon7 [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: CBS Sports - Most Overrated and Underrated Vikings

I would pretty much agree with the Viks selected.

Author:  Hunter Morrow [ Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: CBS Sports - Most Overrated and Underrated Vikings

Danielle Hunter had 12.5 sacks anc wasn't even a full time starter. This year he is one and faces a pretty weak schedule. Everybody will know his name next season.

Author:  PacificNorseWest [ Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: CBS Sports - Most Overrated and Underrated Vikings

Hunter Morrow wrote:
Danielle Hunter had 12.5 sacks anc wasn't even a full time starter. This year he is one and faces a pretty weak schedule. Everybody will know his name next season.


Yeah, I still don't think he's underrated. I said this somewhere here before, but unheralded is more of the description that comes to mind. Eric Kendricks is probably the most underrated.

Author:  Just Me [ Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: CBS Sports - Most Overrated and Underrated Vikings

PacificNorseWest wrote:
Hunter Morrow wrote:
Danielle Hunter had 12.5 sacks anc wasn't even a full time starter. This year he is one and faces a pretty weak schedule. Everybody will know his name next season.


Yeah, I still don't think he's underrated. I said this somewhere here before, but unheralded is more of the description that comes to mind. Eric Kendricks is probably the most underrated.


100% Agree. Kendrick was the name I thought of when I read the thread title. It's as if he took over where Barr was supposed to.

Author:  Maelstrom88 [ Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: CBS Sports - Most Overrated and Underrated Vikings

Agree with the list. Hunter is a stud imo. I think Barr is a very good player and am glad they have him but he can improve a lot and definitely has untapped potential. I would like to see him be used as a Blitzer more often.

Author:  dead_poet [ Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: CBS Sports - Most Overrated and Underrated Vikings

Maelstrom88 wrote:
Agree with the list. Hunter is a stud imo. I think Barr is a very good player and am glad they have him but he can improve a lot and definitely has untapped potential. I would like to see him be used as a Blitzer more often.


Word out of camp is that Hunter is only getting better.

Also, I read the Vikings will give Barr more pass rushing/blitzing opportunities this year.

Author:  Maelstrom88 [ Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: CBS Sports - Most Overrated and Underrated Vikings

dead_poet wrote:
Maelstrom88 wrote:
Agree with the list. Hunter is a stud imo. I think Barr is a very good player and am glad they have him but he can improve a lot and definitely has untapped potential. I would like to see him be used as a Blitzer more often.


Word out of camp is that Hunter is only getting better.

Also, I read the Vikings will give Barr more pass rushing/blitzing opportunities this year.


Nice. Very excited to see this defense. Only concern is vs. The run.

Author:  allday1991 [ Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: CBS Sports - Most Overrated and Underrated Vikings

I always thought Barr was underrated based on his Recent Madden rankings (high 70s). We don't use Barr enough as a blitzer or rusher as someone else mentioned, good to hear in camp they're doing it more, hopefully we see it in a real game. IMO if Barr was in a 3-4 defense and was used similar to how the bears use Leonard Floyd, I definitely think he would be a force and probably top 10 as his position in a stacked position in the nfl.

Author:  J. Kapp 11 [ Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: CBS Sports - Most Overrated and Underrated Vikings

OK, so I never know quite how to take articles like this one, but here goes.

ESPN.com wrote:
By the end of last season, Zimmer was noting publicly Barr's "tendency to coast a little bit." His sacks, batted passes and forced fumbles totals dropped, and it was fair to wonder if the Vikings were going to get the value they expected from a top-10 draft pick. (Among the players they passed on in their No. 9 spot are receiver Odell Beckham Jr., chosen at No. 12, and defensive tackle Aaron Donald, selected one spot later.)

Even Barr acknowledged the issue, saying at the start of camp that picking up his effort has been a "big emphasis" during the offseason. As it turns out, his pledge wasn't just a matter of words. According to Zimmer and others, Barr turned a corner early in the offseason and has been practicing at a noticeably better pace ever since.

I mean, are we supposed to be excited that our No. 9 pick has decided to try harder?

The optimist in me want to believe Barr will have a breakout year and vault himself to Von-Miller-like superstardom.

Jeez, the optimist in me is annoying.

Author:  Thaumaturgist [ Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: CBS Sports - Most Overrated and Underrated Vikings

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
OK, so I never know quite how to take articles like this one, but here goes.

ESPN.com wrote:
By the end of last season, Zimmer was noting publicly Barr's "tendency to coast a little bit." His sacks, batted passes and forced fumbles totals dropped, and it was fair to wonder if the Vikings were going to get the value they expected from a top-10 draft pick. (Among the players they passed on in their No. 9 spot are receiver Odell Beckham Jr., chosen at No. 12, and defensive tackle Aaron Donald, selected one spot later.)

Even Barr acknowledged the issue, saying at the start of camp that picking up his effort has been a "big emphasis" during the offseason. As it turns out, his pledge wasn't just a matter of words. According to Zimmer and others, Barr turned a corner early in the offseason and has been practicing at a noticeably better pace ever since.

I mean, are we supposed to be excited that our No. 9 pick has decided to try harder?

The optimist in me want to believe Barr will have a breakout year and vault himself to Von-Miller-like superstardom.

Jeez, the optimist in me is annoying.

I think sometimes these guys with natural talent think they can just coast. I'm glad that he recognized that, and is putting forth more effort. I just hope it continues. Your optimism annoys you, and my pessimism annoys me, so we can balance each other out. :rock:

Author:  Cliff [ Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: CBS Sports - Most Overrated and Underrated Vikings

Meh ... he's human regardless of draft selection. This guy was being told how great he was after his rookie year and that can cause a person to rest on their laurels. I don't know about you guys, but I still had some learning to do at 25 (and still do ... but even more back then!). I'm glad it seems like he's receptive to the people teaching him.

Author:  PurpleKoolaid [ Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: CBS Sports - Most Overrated and Underrated Vikings

IMHO, Barr is one of the most overrated players the Vikings have had in years. And Kendricks is a very nice surprise, along with Hunter. Now if we can get Griffen not to jump offsides, we are in decent shape. Does anyone know how many times he jumped offsides last year?

Author:  dead_poet [ Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: CBS Sports - Most Overrated and Underrated Vikings

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
IMHO, Barr is one of the most overrated players the Vikings have had in years. And Kendricks is a very nice surprise, along with Hunter. Now if we can get Griffen not to jump offsides, we are in decent shape. Does anyone know how many times he jumped offsides last year?


Looks like four offsides and three neutral zone infractions.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/player/e-gr ... ?year=2016

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/