Vikings Message Board.Com
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/

Floyd tests positive for alcohol
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29841
Page 1 of 2

Author:  J. Kapp 11 [ Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Floyd tests positive for alcohol

Fox Sports wrote:
The Minnesota Vikings gave hometown receiver Michael Floyd a second chance this offseason by signing him in free agency after a DUI arrest in December, but he’s once again found himself in trouble off the field.

According to TMZ, Floyd tested positive for alcohol during his house arrest this week, violating the terms of his sentence. This latest alleged slip-up could result in jail time, and possibly the end of his brief tenure with the Vikings.

More at the link.

Author:  Grashopa [ Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

he has flat out denied this, hopefully there will be more information soon.

Unfortunately i know 3 people in similar situations to his and they are still lying/failing and ending up back in jail no matter how many chances they get. So i wont be surprised either way.

Author:  Grashopa [ Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ohol-tests

The amount of detail in these reports casts a huge shadow of doubt that the story is false.
Quote:
Each test took place between 5:30 a.m. and 6:33 a.m. on June 11, per Rapoport. The highest blood alcohol level recorded was .055, Rapoport added, the lowest was .044. Floyd then missed the final test at 6:33 a.m. local time.


But then there is this ???
Quote:
Floyd stated he had drank Kombucha tea, which explains why the sample contained alcohol.

Author:  PsyDanny [ Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

Grashopa wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000815839/article/floyd-due-back-in-court-following-flagged-alcohol-tests

The amount of detail in these reports casts a huge shadow of doubt that the story is false.
Quote:
Each test took place between 5:30 a.m. and 6:33 a.m. on June 11, per Rapoport. The highest blood alcohol level recorded was .055, Rapoport added, the lowest was .044. Floyd then missed the final test at 6:33 a.m. local time.


But then there is this ???
Quote:
Floyd stated he had drank Kombucha tea, which explains why the sample contained alcohol.


Looking at this chart:

http://www.olin.msu.edu/pdfs/BACMale.pdf

it would seem like that BAC range is something a 220 lb man would get with 6 drinks in a three to four hour range.

Although it does look like some Kombucha can contain up to 3% alcohol, it would seem that one would have to be pounding it pretty well to reach that range. However, it does look like Kombucha can be problemmatic for alcoholics at times, according to this article:

https://www.bustle.com/articles/31353-y ... -only-ones

Author:  PurpleMustReign [ Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

I don't care any more. Cut him and sign Decker.

Author:  808vikingsfan [ Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

Adam Schefter - Michael Floyd Statement:
Quote:
Adam Schefter
20 mins ·
Facebook Mentions
·
Michael Floyd Statement:
Michael Floyd started his 96-day home monitoring on March 13, 2017. During this time period, Michael was tested a minimum of six times per day. For the first 90 days, Michael’s blood alcohol content was 0.0 for all of his 500 plus tests.

On June 10, 2017, Michael watched movies at his place of residence until 3:00 a.m. During that time, he drank several bottles of kombucha tea drinks, unaware that the drinks contain alcohol.

On June 11, 2017 at 5:30 a.m., Michael was tested and his blood alcohol content was .055. Michael was tested again at 5:54 a.m. and his blood alcohol content was down to .045. Michael was tested again at 6:23 a.m. and his blood alcohol content was .044. He then went back to sleep and missed a test at 6:33 a.m.

Michael was five days away from the end of his home monitoring. Prior to and after this incident, Michael has not had any alcohol whatsoever since the start of his home monitoring. Unfortunately, the kombucha teas that Michael did drink resulted in a positive blood alcohol content reading. As a result, the Court wishes to hear from Michael on June 26. At that time, Michael will have an opportunity to explain how this unfortunate test result happened.



Never heard of Kambucha tea before but did a quick google and it seems to be general knowledge that it does contain alcohol. I've also read home brewed can contain a lot more alcohol so I think there still a chance his story may be truthful. Curious to hear Rudolph's story. Maybe a friend of the family brewed some tea for a family get together and left it in the fridge.

Author:  halfgiz [ Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

@DailyNorseman
1h
.#Vikings Wouldn’t Take A Financial Hit If They Cut Michael Floyd #NFL (h/t @mattvensel) dailynorseman.com/2017/6/16/1582…

:popcorn: :popcorn:

I'm afraid the NFL will give him a lot more than a 2 game suspension.

Author:  Demi [ Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

Quote:
But could someone get drunk off kombucha?
"No, no," Rothbauer said, laughing. "I don't know if you've tasted kombucha, but it's not something that you drink bottle after bottle. You know, this is something that's fermented. It would be like trying to drink vinegar bottle after bottle. And you would have to drink eight bottles (of kombucha) just to get the buzz of one beer."


What a load of BS. Watching a movie and hammering what tastes like fuzzy watered down apple cider vinegar that has barely any alcohol in it at 3 AM is how he ended up failing? Give me a break. Cut him and good riddance.

Author:  HardcoreVikesFan [ Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

It is always SOMETHING with this franchise. Literally cannot go a year without something astronomically embarrassing happening.


He needs help. I hope Minnesota can help get him the resources he needs. However, he doesn't deserve a spot on this roster - cut him.

Author:  PurpleKoolaid [ Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

Decker is looking better already. In fack he looked better before the Vikings signed Floyd. Rick sure has problems with some of his FA WRs.

Author:  PurpleMustReign [ Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

Demi wrote:
Quote:
But could someone get drunk off kombucha?
"No, no," Rothbauer said, laughing. "I don't know if you've tasted kombucha, but it's not something that you drink bottle after bottle. You know, this is something that's fermented. It would be like trying to drink vinegar bottle after bottle. And you would have to drink eight bottles (of kombucha) just to get the buzz of one beer."


What a load of BS. Watching a movie and hammering what tastes like fuzzy watered down apple cider vinegar that has barely any alcohol in it at 3 AM is how he ended up failing? Give me a break. Cut him and good riddance.

I agree. Even if it is true that this is what he did, when you are under house arrest for something, intelligent people would make damn sure what they were drinking was safe. It angers me that they haven't cut him yet. What a complete moron.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Author:  jackal [ Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

I know a few friends who struggle and most of them slip up
a few times in finding away. I hope he gets better but I think
the Vikings would be better moving on now.

Author:  S197 [ Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

I've tried kombucha. Hard to describe but it has a strong acidic flavor but not as harsh as vinegar. It would be pretty difficult to chug it due to the fermentation, it would be like chugging a harsh bottle of soda. Maybe the home made stuff has more alcohol but the stuff from the store, I imagine you could drink a lot of it and be alright. Definitely sounds fishy.

What's odd is why wait until the very last day of your house arrest to drink? He was literally hours away from being done right? I think that's the part that's hard for me to understand and maybe gives some credence to his story. Also how fast his BAC level dropped. If you drink one bottle of kombucha and then do the test, I wonder if it would read abnormally high as it would if you just used mouth wash. That effect should go away quickly though.

Author:  Ohjay [ Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

S197 wrote:
What's odd is why wait until the very last day of your house arrest to drink? He was literally hours away from being done right? I think that's the part that's hard for me to understand and maybe gives some credence to his story. Also how fast his BAC level dropped. If you drink one bottle of kombucha and then do the test, I wonder if it would read abnormally high as it would if you just used mouth wash. That effect should go away quickly though.

If I remember correctly he failed the alcohol test on day 90 out of 96 court mandated days of no alcohol.
His house arrest was for 120 days, but I do not know if the house arrest started earlier than the alcohol probation(wrong word?).

Author:  Norv Zimmer [ Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

I don't know about anyone else, but if I was 5 days away from my house arrest/testing to end I would drink nothing but water. What a moron! After 500 some tests of registering 0.000 why would you even risk it.

Also, you would have to drink a LOT of Kambucha to get a .044 .055 test. He is lying IMO

Author:  chicagopurple [ Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

see ya later, violator.......

Author:  Pondering Her Percy [ Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
It is always SOMETHING with this franchise. Literally cannot go a year without something astronomically embarrassing happening.


He needs help. I hope Minnesota can help get him the resources he needs. However, he doesn't deserve a spot on this roster - cut him.


He had some booze. Why is that "astronomically embarrassing"?? He messed up, cut him. I didnt want the guy in the first place and it was a one year prove it deal. We weren't indebted to him so who cares. I'd much rather have Treadwell as our #3 and Wright as our #4 anyways. Plus have Adams/Coley compete for the #5 spot. I think Floyd was a long shot to make it anyways. He never impressed me even in Arizona.

Author:  Hunter Morrow [ Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

Six urinalyses a day and he goofed up five days before he was done with it. What a dope. Can we still get Decker?

Author:  S197 [ Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

Hunter Morrow wrote:
Six urinalyses a day and he goofed up five days before he was done with it. What a dope. Can we still get Decker?


Decker signed with the Titans.

Author:  dead_poet [ Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

Doh

Vikings to judge: We encouraged Michael Floyd to drink kombucha tea

Quote:
“I am writing to request Mr. Floyd not have his court mandated requirements negatively impacted since he did not know the kombucha he ingested contained alcohol,” Warren wrote in the June 21 letter, which was cc’d to Vikings president Mark Wilf, general manager Rick Spielman and coach Mike Zimmer.

Floyd said in a sworn affidavit the Vikings encourage their players to consume kombucha tea as a health drink, and that it is served “on tap” at Winter Park.


http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/24/vi ... bucha-tea/

Author:  PurpleMustReign [ Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

I am not amused.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Author:  halfgiz [ Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

Vikings WR Michael Floyd was sentenced to 1 day in jail and has to serve the final 5 days of his house arrest for violating terms of his arrest.

Next up...what is he going to get from Roger.

Author:  S197 [ Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

dead_poet wrote:
Doh

Vikings to judge: We encouraged Michael Floyd to drink kombucha tea

Quote:
“I am writing to request Mr. Floyd not have his court mandated requirements negatively impacted since he did not know the kombucha he ingested contained alcohol,” Warren wrote in the June 21 letter, which was cc’d to Vikings president Mark Wilf, general manager Rick Spielman and coach Mike Zimmer.

Floyd said in a sworn affidavit the Vikings encourage their players to consume kombucha tea as a health drink, and that it is served “on tap” at Winter Park.


http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/24/vi ... bucha-tea/


Man, someone on the Vikings staff screwed up. How can you give something to your players and not know what it contains? The bottles they sell at Whole Foods even have an alcohol disclaimer on them. It should be common knowledge for anyone serving this stuff that the fermentation process creates alcohol.

Author:  5thWave [ Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

Floyd gets a one day jail sentence...

Vikings Statement On Michael Floyd Ruling 12
posted by Christopher Gates on Jun 26, 2017

Statement from #Vikings GM Rick Spielman on Michael Floyd http://mnvkn.gs/hz4ACq
Eden Prairie, MN (June 26, 2017) – When we signed Michael Floyd, we hoped he would show signs of improvement and we continue to expect that he shows progress and a professional attitude. We believe Michael will be a productive member of the Vikings organization, both on and off the field. Pursuant to the ruling of the Arizona Court earlier today, Michael will serve the remainder of his sentence and we expect him to be with the team at the start of training camp in Mankato when the players report on July 26.
5:58 PM - 26 Jun 2017

The Minnesota Vikings released a statement following the verdict in Michael Floyd's hearing in Arizona today. The text of the statement from General Manager Rick Spielman is above.

Author:  Cliff [ Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

Well if what the Vikings say is true then they definitely shouldn't cut him. This is on them and he shouldn't be punished for it. I'd be pretty upset with them that I had to spend a night in jail due to their instruction ...

Author:  Mothman [ Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

S197 wrote:
Man, someone on the Vikings staff screwed up. How can you give something to your players and not know what it contains? The bottles they sell at Whole Foods even have an alcohol disclaimer on them. It should be common knowledge for anyone serving this stuff that the fermentation process creates alcohol.


Right, which is why it seems FAR more likely to me that the Vikes are just backing the story of a player they signed and want to utilize this season.

I don't buy this tall tea tale.

Author:  PurpleMustReign [ Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

Mothman wrote:
S197 wrote:
Man, someone on the Vikings staff screwed up. How can you give something to your players and not know what it contains? The bottles they sell at Whole Foods even have an alcohol disclaimer on them. It should be common knowledge for anyone serving this stuff that the fermentation process creates alcohol.


Right, which is why it seems FAR more likely to me that the Vikes are just backing the story of a player they signed and want to utilize this season.

I don't buy this tall tea tale.

Me neither. If I am not mistaken he went from zero to whatever he tested at in a very short amount of time. He'd have to guzzle a lot of tea very quickly to do that.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Author:  Cliff [ Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

Mothman wrote:
S197 wrote:
Man, someone on the Vikings staff screwed up. How can you give something to your players and not know what it contains? The bottles they sell at Whole Foods even have an alcohol disclaimer on them. It should be common knowledge for anyone serving this stuff that the fermentation process creates alcohol.


Right, which is why it seems FAR more likely to me that the Vikes are just backing the story of a player they signed and want to utilize this season.

I don't buy this tall tea tale.


There are some things that validate it in my mind. First his 6 days left under monitoring. I find it unlikely that someone goes that far and then messes it up. Plus not long after he starts working with the Vikings he fails? That does fall in line with the story.

Why would the team be dumb enough to lie for a player that clearly hadn't learned his lesson? Rick's unwillingness to admit a mistake, perhaps? His upside is just that high? I don't know.

Author:  Mothman [ Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

Cliff wrote:
There are some things that validate it in my mind. First his 6 days left under monitoring. I find it unlikely that someone goes that far and then messes it up.


I don't find that unlikely at all, considering his history of alcohol-related problems.

Quote:
Plus not long after he starts working with the Vikings he fails? That does fall in line with the story.

Why would the team be dumb enough to lie for a player that clearly hadn't learned his lesson? Rick's unwillingness to admit a mistake, perhaps? His upside is just that high? I don't know.


I don't either. :confused: Maybe they're trying to be supportive and believe they can help him if they can just keep him on the team and surround him with the right people. Maybe they just think he can help them win. Teams have done worse.

The bottom line for me is the story doesn't add up. It has the illogical complexity of an excuse. It seems far more likely to me that a player with a history of alcohol-related problems had a slip than that the Vikings signed such a player and, en masse, from trainers to coaches to teammates, failed to let him know there's alcohol in the tea they make available at their facilities and he should avoid drinking it. Nobody knew Floyd's situation and thought to warn him about it? I find that almost impossible to believe.

Author:  Cliff [ Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floyd tests positive for alcohol

Mothman wrote:
The bottom line for me is the story doesn't add up. It has the illogical complexity of an excuse. It seems far more likely to me that a player with a history of alcohol-related problems had a slip than that the Vikings signed such a player and, en masse, from trainers to coaches to teammates, failed to let him know there's alcohol in the tea they make available at their facilities and he should avoid drinking it. Nobody knew Floyd's situation and thought to warn him about it? I find that almost impossible to believe.


If the team did tell him to drink it my guess is that he saw it as a team sanctioned way to get a buzz. One or two of those probably wouldn't have shown up and that's probably what the team had in mind.

Perhaps it's something of a half truth - yes the team intended for him to drink the tea, but not that much.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/