Minnesota Not So Nice?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

w_huisman
Transition Player

Minnesota Not So Nice?

Post by w_huisman »

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Minnesota Not So Nice?

Post by Nunin »

i don't know what to do but laugh. There is no shortage of stupid people in the world, that's for sure.
#whodraftedponder
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I'll never understand how some Vikings fans could treat Christian Ponder and his wife so deplorably because they were unhappy with his performance (although I understand why they were unhappy with his performance) and then so enthusiastically embrace a successor who only performed marginally better. More poise in the pocket is the difference between love and loathing, civility and antagonism? Was it all about draft position?

Here's a silly rebuttal from the fan press:

No one should feel sorry for how Vikings fans treated Christian Ponder
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Sad that fans took it that far. He wasn't very good but that doesn't mean you deserve to be harassed especially over a game.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Mothman wrote:I'll never understand how some Vikings fans could treat Christian Ponder and his wife so deplorably because they were unhappy with his performance (although I understand why they were unhappy with his performance) and then so enthusiastically embrace a successor who only performed marginally better. More poise in the pocket is the difference between love and loathing, civility and antagonism? Was it all about draft position?

What I don't understand people and their misplaced anger. Why bother? Why be mad at Ponder, spiteful towards his wife and think that Spielman does an okay job. Who is more to blame for Ponder and his shortcomings? Performance based, who underperformed more? Ponder or Spielman? When Ponder was drafted I was hoping the powers knew more than what I saw. Same with Teddy. Neither could add up to either of Cincy's qbs and we could have had either one. As a fan, I'm more dissatisfied with mgmt than the players.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

CbusVikesFan wrote: What I don't understand people and their misplaced anger. Why bother? Why be mad at Ponder, spiteful towards his wife and think that Spielman does an okay job. Who is more to blame for Ponder and his shortcomings? Performance based, who underperformed more? Ponder or Spielman? When Ponder was drafted I was hoping the powers knew more than what I saw. Same with Teddy. Neither could add up to either of Cincy's qbs and we could have had either one. As a fan, I'm more dissatisfied with mgmt than the players.
I agree. The one thing about Ponder that you had to give him credit for is he never sulked about being benched or criticized. He took it like a man. It sucks that people act liek they do to sports figures.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

Mothman wrote:I'll never understand how some Vikings fans could treat Christian Ponder and his wife so deplorably because they were unhappy with his performance (although I understand why they were unhappy with his performance) and then so enthusiastically embrace a successor who only performed marginally better. More poise in the pocket is the difference between love and loathing, civility and antagonism? Was it all about draft position?

I think silly is being generous with this rebuttal. I agree that when someone chooses a career, such as professional sports, they open themselves to criticism. Samantha Ponder acknowledged that fact in the article. However, there are appropriate ways and venues for that.

Fans absolutely have a right to criticize Ponder's play (and that criticism was warranted) in the appropriate setting but coming up to him in public is just ridiculous not to mention, spiteful and mean. Saying anything to his wife is totally over the line. She's not the one on the field, why say anything to her? I think some fans need a reality check sometimes that it is just a game and that the players are human beings too who deserve to be treated as such.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

MikethePurple wrote:I think silly is being generous with this rebuttal. I agree that when someone chooses a career, such as professional sports, they open themselves to criticism. Samantha Ponder acknowledged that fact in the article. However, there are appropriate ways and venues for that.

Fans absolutely have a right to criticize Ponder's play (and that criticism was warranted) in the appropriate setting but coming up to him in public is just ridiculous not to mention, spiteful and mean. Saying anything to his wife is totally over the line. She's not the one on the field, why say anything to her? I think some fans need a reality check sometimes that it is just a game and that the players are human beings too who deserve to be treated as such.
Well said and you're right, "silly" was an overly generous description for that rebuttal.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I think one of the main differences is that a lot of people were unhappy with the Ponder pick to begin with. There was a lot of "reach" talk at the time. I think people felt vindicated about their opinion which led to more emboldened behavior.

I feel bad for them, they shouldn't have been treated that way during what should have been one of the happiest times of their life. If they weren't such #### I'd feel bad for the fans who acted that way too. I can't imagine my life being so empty that I was *that* invested in the NFL.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:I think one of the main differences is that a lot of people were unhappy with the Ponder pick to begin with. There was a lot of "reach" talk at the time. I think people felt vindicated about their opinion which led to more emboldened behavior.
I think you're right. Draft position seemed to play a real role in the way he was treated and as CbusVikesFan pointed out, that seems like misdirected anger because Ponder had no say in when he was drafted.
I feel bad for them, they shouldn't have been treated that way during what should have been one of the happiest times of their life. If they weren't such #### I'd feel bad for the fans who acted that way too. I can't imagine my life being so empty that I was *that* invested in the NFL.
That is a sobering thought.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Cliff wrote:I think one of the main differences is that a lot of people were unhappy with the Ponder pick to begin with. There was a lot of "reach" talk at the time. I think people felt vindicated about their opinion which led to more emboldened behavior.
Yes, I remember it that way, too. Ponder was not a popular pick and never received fandom support from some who wouldn't forgive him for being drafted in R1.
Cliff wrote:I feel bad for them, they shouldn't have been treated that way during what should have been one of the happiest times of their life. If they weren't such #### I'd feel bad for the fans who acted that way too. I can't imagine my life being so empty that I was *that* invested in the NFL.
Well said.
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup

Post by SidestreamFB Pete »

Have to assume those Vikes fans couldn't make it past the 'human verification' portion of the forum sign-up haha
Never been to Minny, but I heard it's one of the friendlier places state-side.
Not easy being a Vikes fan and staying an "unbiased" creator of Sidestream Football. This is my therapy. SKOL.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

The wife thing is over the top for sure. Ponder bugged
me to be honest his personality seemed a lot like Cutlers
in some ways. I can remember Adrian getting more yards
than Ponder did.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

SidestreamFB Pete wrote:Never been to Minny, but I heard it's one of the friendlier places state-side.
It's true, we are too nice to tell you we don't like you. :rofl:
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Wow. The "rebuttal" article is unbelievable.

The author talks about cowardice. Here's my question. How cowardly do you have to be to sit behind a computer and write an article that says it's OK to mistreat an NFL quarterback and his family simply because he's underperforming?

Forget the football aspect of this. Nobody has the right to mistreat another person simply because of his freaking job performance. And to mistreat that guy's wife? Despicable.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.