Vikes Go 8-8 According to Vegas

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikes Go 8-8 According to Vegas

Post by Nunin »

Laserman wrote:If we don't rid ourselves of this west coast dink and dunk offensive strategy we will go nowhere fast. It's not a viable offensive scheme in 2017 anymore. It worked in the 80s for the 49er cause they had rice and taylor who could catch a short pass and run for 70 yards at any time. We haven't any WR like that since Anthony Carter and Randy Moss.
I think the Packers use a WCO.....dink and dunk is determined by what defenses does to you. KC does well in that respect. The Patriots dink and dunk to perfection.
The key to the Vikings success will be the stability of their defense over the course of the season as well as establishing some consistency running the ball. They will get shots downfield either way, but if thy can run the ball and keep the pass rush honest, they have plenty of game breaking talent to score points.
All that remains to be seen is if thy can meet any of that potential, IMO.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Nunin wrote: I think the Packers use a WCO.....dink and dunk is determined by what defenses does to you. KC does well in that respect. The Patriots dink and dunk to perfection.
The key to the Vikings success will be the stability of their defense over the course of the season as well as establishing some consistency running the ball. They will get shots downfield either way, but if thy can run the ball and keep the pass rush honest, they have plenty of game breaking talent to score points.
All that remains to be seen is if thy can meet any of that potential, IMO.
Dinking and dunking isn't a bad thing when you can break a few off for 30+ yards on occasion. Things get stale with repeated 3 and outs. I don't really care what style is used or chosen for their offense. Just be great on 3rd downs and have half a dozen splash plays throughout and they'll do well.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PacificNorseWest wrote:
Dinking and dunking isn't a bad thing when you can break a few off for 30+ yards on occasion. Things get stale with repeated 3 and outs. I don't really care what style is used or chosen for their offense. Just be great on 3rd downs and have half a dozen splash plays throughout and they'll do well.
Not sure where all this dinking and dunking stuff comes from. Bradford nearly threw for 4000 yards and missed the first game of the year. I dont see that as dinking and dunking.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Not sure where all this dinking and dunking stuff comes from. Bradford nearly threw for 4000 yards and missed the first game of the year. I dont see that as dinking and dunking.
I think it's being confused with inconsistency. Regardless, I don't disagree with you, just with the notion that dinking and dunking is a bad thing when executed properly.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

You can still get high yards with a dink and dunk.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:You can still get high yards with a dink and dunk.
Exactly and there's nothing mysterious about where the dinking and dunking talk is coming from. The Vikings were getting the majority of their passing yardage on short passes and over half of their passing yardage came on runs after the catch.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: Exactly and there's nothing mysterious about where the dinking and dunking talk is coming from. The Vikings were getting the majority of their passing yardage on short passes and over half of their passing yardage came on runs after the catch.

Which means their WRs are effectively doing their jobs, but there are still far too many times that they are settling for 5 yards on 3rd and 8.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

If last year is 8-8, this year is at least a game better off Murray and Cook I believe. We had almost no RB production last season, a huge weak point, and its been shored up to be worth a game in my eyes.
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup

Post by SidestreamFB Pete »

Well I remember losing atleast one game due to Asiata getting stoned in short yardage on a few attempts. Couple Blair Walsh fiascos early in the season. Two late game collapses against the Lions.

Given all that and we added more talent then we lost, should be better than last year.
Not easy being a Vikes fan and staying an "unbiased" creator of Sidestream Football. This is my therapy. SKOL.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

SidestreamFB Pete wrote:Well I remember losing atleast one game due to Asiata getting stoned in short yardage on a few attempts. Couple Blair Walsh fiascos early in the season. Two late game collapses against the Lions.

Given all that and we added more talent then we lost, should be better than last year.

... say the fans of almost every NFL team. :)

Hopefully, they will be much better than last year but we all know how little "winning" the offseason actually means.
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup

Post by SidestreamFB Pete »

Mothman wrote:
... say the fans of almost every NFL team. :)

Hopefully, they will be much better than last year but we all know how little "winning" the offseason actually means.
Yeah the Lions did the same thing to about 6 other teams haha.

But, just attaching the law of average to certain things like FG% and success rate of getting 1 yard in three plays on the goal line. Talking about two or three specific instances. Not saying "we just need Bradford to throw for 100 more yards per game."

Plus, Broncos won the offseason before their dominant run. Pats win it just about every year, works out for them. Just a matter of determining what winning means; getting the most sought after guy on a giant contract usually doesn't work. But, addressing needs and making cost effective moves (not saying the Reiff deal was frugal) does mean something.
Not easy being a Vikes fan and staying an "unbiased" creator of Sidestream Football. This is my therapy. SKOL.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The biggest thing going for the Vikings is how terrible they were at Tackle last year. Even if the new guys are league below average they will still be a major upgrade over what we saw from Sirles/Clemmings, espeically the latter who also happened to be playing the most important position at LT. (PFF gave out the worst rating for a LT they've ever given.)

I'm not sure if that adds up to world beaters or anything like that, but there was a huge hole on the OL and they've addressed it. I'm not sure how this will add up in terms of BIG plays, but where I think we'll see a significant reduction is in all of the negative and no gain plays that resulted from such terrible blocking.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I think these odds are accurate, I dont see us winning more then 8, once again. Rick is sure taking his time forming a dynasty here in MN.