Vikes Go 8-8 According to Vegas

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am

Re: Vikes Go 8-8 According to Vegas

Post by Nunin » Mon May 22, 2017 12:23 pm

Laserman wrote:If we don't rid ourselves of this west coast dink and dunk offensive strategy we will go nowhere fast. It's not a viable offensive scheme in 2017 anymore. It worked in the 80s for the 49er cause they had rice and taylor who could catch a short pass and run for 70 yards at any time. We haven't any WR like that since Anthony Carter and Randy Moss.
I think the Packers use a WCO.....dink and dunk is determined by what defenses does to you. KC does well in that respect. The Patriots dink and dunk to perfection.
The key to the Vikings success will be the stability of their defense over the course of the season as well as establishing some consistency running the ball. They will get shots downfield either way, but if thy can run the ball and keep the pass rush honest, they have plenty of game breaking talent to score points.
All that remains to be seen is if thy can meet any of that potential, IMO.

User avatar
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2370
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 am
Location: Seattle, Wa

Re: Vikes Go 8-8 According to Vegas

Post by PacificNorseWest » Mon May 22, 2017 6:33 pm

Nunin wrote: I think the Packers use a WCO.....dink and dunk is determined by what defenses does to you. KC does well in that respect. The Patriots dink and dunk to perfection.
The key to the Vikings success will be the stability of their defense over the course of the season as well as establishing some consistency running the ball. They will get shots downfield either way, but if thy can run the ball and keep the pass rush honest, they have plenty of game breaking talent to score points.
All that remains to be seen is if thy can meet any of that potential, IMO.
Dinking and dunking isn't a bad thing when you can break a few off for 30+ yards on occasion. Things get stale with repeated 3 and outs. I don't really care what style is used or chosen for their offense. Just be great on 3rd downs and have half a dozen splash plays throughout and they'll do well.

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5318
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Vikes Go 8-8 According to Vegas

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Thu May 25, 2017 1:48 pm

PacificNorseWest wrote:
Dinking and dunking isn't a bad thing when you can break a few off for 30+ yards on occasion. Things get stale with repeated 3 and outs. I don't really care what style is used or chosen for their offense. Just be great on 3rd downs and have half a dozen splash plays throughout and they'll do well.
Not sure where all this dinking and dunking stuff comes from. Bradford nearly threw for 4000 yards and missed the first game of the year. I dont see that as dinking and dunking.
Image

User avatar
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2370
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 am
Location: Seattle, Wa

Re: Vikes Go 8-8 According to Vegas

Post by PacificNorseWest » Fri May 26, 2017 6:50 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Not sure where all this dinking and dunking stuff comes from. Bradford nearly threw for 4000 yards and missed the first game of the year. I dont see that as dinking and dunking.
I think it's being confused with inconsistency. Regardless, I don't disagree with you, just with the notion that dinking and dunking is a bad thing when executed properly.

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18399
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: Vikes Go 8-8 According to Vegas

Post by PurpleMustReign » Fri May 26, 2017 9:33 pm

You can still get high yards with a dink and dunk.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37385
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Vikes Go 8-8 According to Vegas

Post by Mothman » Sat May 27, 2017 6:30 am

PurpleMustReign wrote:You can still get high yards with a dink and dunk.
Exactly and there's nothing mysterious about where the dinking and dunking talk is coming from. The Vikings were getting the majority of their passing yardage on short passes and over half of their passing yardage came on runs after the catch.

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18399
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: Vikes Go 8-8 According to Vegas

Post by PurpleMustReign » Sat May 27, 2017 10:31 am

Mothman wrote: Exactly and there's nothing mysterious about where the dinking and dunking talk is coming from. The Vikings were getting the majority of their passing yardage on short passes and over half of their passing yardage came on runs after the catch.

Which means their WRs are effectively doing their jobs, but there are still far too many times that they are settling for 5 yards on 3rd and 8.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5631
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:56 am

Re: Vikes Go 8-8 According to Vegas

Post by Hunter Morrow » Sat May 27, 2017 8:48 pm

If last year is 8-8, this year is at least a game better off Murray and Cook I believe. We had almost no RB production last season, a huge weak point, and its been shored up to be worth a game in my eyes.

User avatar
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 11:34 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Contact:

Re: Vikes Go 8-8 According to Vegas

Post by SidestreamFB Pete » Sun May 28, 2017 6:00 pm

Well I remember losing atleast one game due to Asiata getting stoned in short yardage on a few attempts. Couple Blair Walsh fiascos early in the season. Two late game collapses against the Lions.

Given all that and we added more talent then we lost, should be better than last year.
Not easy being a Vikes fan and staying an "unbiased" creator of Sidestream Football. This is my therapy. SKOL.

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37385
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Vikes Go 8-8 According to Vegas

Post by Mothman » Sun May 28, 2017 6:08 pm

SidestreamFB Pete wrote:Well I remember losing atleast one game due to Asiata getting stoned in short yardage on a few attempts. Couple Blair Walsh fiascos early in the season. Two late game collapses against the Lions.

Given all that and we added more talent then we lost, should be better than last year.

... say the fans of almost every NFL team. :)

Hopefully, they will be much better than last year but we all know how little "winning" the offseason actually means.

User avatar
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 11:34 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Contact:

Re: Vikes Go 8-8 According to Vegas

Post by SidestreamFB Pete » Sun May 28, 2017 6:34 pm

Mothman wrote:
... say the fans of almost every NFL team. :)

Hopefully, they will be much better than last year but we all know how little "winning" the offseason actually means.
Yeah the Lions did the same thing to about 6 other teams haha.

But, just attaching the law of average to certain things like FG% and success rate of getting 1 yard in three plays on the goal line. Talking about two or three specific instances. Not saying "we just need Bradford to throw for 100 more yards per game."

Plus, Broncos won the offseason before their dominant run. Pats win it just about every year, works out for them. Just a matter of determining what winning means; getting the most sought after guy on a giant contract usually doesn't work. But, addressing needs and making cost effective moves (not saying the Reiff deal was frugal) does mean something.
Not easy being a Vikes fan and staying an "unbiased" creator of Sidestream Football. This is my therapy. SKOL.

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3463
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Location: Coon Rapids, MN

Re: Vikes Go 8-8 According to Vegas

Post by mansquatch » Tue May 30, 2017 10:00 am

The biggest thing going for the Vikings is how terrible they were at Tackle last year. Even if the new guys are league below average they will still be a major upgrade over what we saw from Sirles/Clemmings, espeically the latter who also happened to be playing the most important position at LT. (PFF gave out the worst rating for a LT they've ever given.)

I'm not sure if that adds up to world beaters or anything like that, but there was a huge hole on the OL and they've addressed it. I'm not sure how this will add up in terms of BIG plays, but where I think we'll see a significant reduction is in all of the negative and no gain plays that resulted from such terrible blocking.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8363
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Vikes Go 8-8 According to Vegas

Post by PurpleKoolaid » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:44 am

I think these odds are accurate, I dont see us winning more then 8, once again. Rick is sure taking his time forming a dynasty here in MN.

Post Reply