Peterson headed to free agency

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Peterson headed to free agency

Post by 720pete »

The Vikings have decided to let former MVP Adrian Peterson go.

The team announced they were not picking up the option on his contract for next year, making the veteran running back an unrestricted free agent next week.

“Adrian is an important part of the Minnesota Vikings organization,” Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman said in a statement. “We will continue to have conversations with his representatives and leave our future options open while determining what is best for both parties moving forward.”

Not paying Peterson $18 million next season was an easy decision, as he’s 31, only played one full season in the last three and is coming off knee surgery.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -contract/
:slice:

It's not clear whether they will try and negotiate with him as a free agent. Jamaal Charles has also been released.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Peterson headed to free agency

Post by mosscarter »

i was checking in to see if there was any chatter on this subject; and i'm surprised to say there is basically none. this is the best back this franchise has ever seen (and may ever see) and there are no thoughts? i'm not sure how i feel about it at this time, if we end up really going after linemen in free agency i'll be okay with the move. but, if they don't use that cap room wisely it is going to be hard to see what the game plan is offensively. when you need basically an entire line, and have no first round pick how do you justify spending a second round pick on a running back? well, if they do he better be one heck of a back. it will be hard to see peterson in another jersey (if that is indeed the case), but i honestly don't think i truly got over his fumbles in the NFC championship game. he gave us some great memories though, and was truly a throwback style runner. rarely have we ever seen a back that can run over 5 guys, or hit the hole and outrun just about anyone on defense. i'll always remember paul allen's he's loose!!!"
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

The discussion is spread out over a few threads. Given the timing of the announcement, something like 8 days early, I'm thinking both sides were way too far apart to hope for a deal. The Vikings either released him early out of curtesy or they think he's way over valuing himself and when he sees the market he comes back to the table.

If he indeed moves on, it will be a sad day for the team. Understandable in this day and age but it will still be tough to see him in another uniform.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

S197 wrote:The discussion is spread out over a few threads. Given the timing of the announcement, something like 8 days early, I'm thinking both sides were way too far apart to hope for a deal. The Vikings either released him early out of curtesy or they think he's way over valuing himself and when he sees the market he comes back to the table.

If he indeed moves on, it will be a sad day for the team. Understandable in this day and age but it will still be tough to see him in another uniform.
This is a "go see what your worth and come back and talk to us" type of deal. AP knows he's not worth $18 million anymore. Everyone does. It gives him the chance to feel things out without any team being hit for talking to him.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Not sure what to say that hasn't been said already. Everybody here has their thoughts about what would be best for the Vikings.

I guess I'm a little surprised at the timing of the announcement. There was no urgency to announce this today. Maybe that says something in the Vikings' interest in even attempting to re-sign him. Don't know. It just seems unlikely that AP will be back, which really isn't news.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mosscarter wrote:i was checking in to see if there was any chatter on this subject; and i'm surprised to say there is basically none. this is the best back this franchise has ever seen (and may ever see) and there are no thoughts?
I'm just waiting to see what happens. I assumed all along that they wouldn't be paying him that bonus so yesterday's announcement wasn't a surprise. If they don't re-sign him and he enters free agency and finishes his career elsewhere, my thought as a Vikings fan is it will be a shame to see his Vikings career end here, after a season missed due to injury. I've never enjoyed watching a Vikings player more than I've enjoyed watching Peterson.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:I've never enjoyed watching a Vikings player more than I've enjoyed watching Peterson.
That raises a fun question. What Vikings player have you most enjoyed watching?

I'm going to have to think on that.

I think I can say that watching Chris Hovan was the player I LEAST enjoyed watching.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

fiestavike wrote: That raises a fun question. What Vikings player have you most enjoyed watching?

I'm going to have to think on that.

I think I can say that watching Chris Hovan was the player I LEAST enjoyed watching.

Moss is my #1 followed by (in no particular order) Peterson, Chris Carter, Anthony Carter, Robert Smith, Tarkington, Rashad, Foreman, John Randle, Alan Page, Doleman, Culpepper, list goes on and on. Least may be Chris Cook. Have to Ponder :whistle: that.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Moss and Peterson are 1a and 1b for me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

This isn't surprising. He's been flirting with other teams since 2014. Other offenses will fit him better and he is t worth 18m.

I hope he comes back at the right price, but he won't.

---------

Moss elicits very strong memories from early teenage years, but Peterson was my favorite player for some really formative years. They can't really be separated for me.

After them, it's probably Antoine Winfield or maybe Jared Allen.

Special place in my heart for Chad Greenway because that was the first draft I followed.

There is a certain level of hatred I reserve for Donovan McNabb, Troy Williamson, Chris Cook, and Benny Sapp.

Retroactively, #### Darren Sharper.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Thanks AP. You were the lone bright spot in purple for many years.
It would be intriguing to see him and Bradford in the same backfield.

As far as the most enjoyment watching a player do his thing,
John Randle- hands down the most entertaining
Randy Moss- the most spectacular
Cris Carter- hands hands hands. Always got your money's worth
Robert Griffith- I just liked him from day one
Joey Browner, AP, Robert Smith, AW, and so many others I really did enjoy and could talk about them all day long.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
darrenjohn89
Waterboy

Post by darrenjohn89 »

Again why not have CP84 splitting time at running back like the chiefs do with tyrek hill? He could definetly make up alot of A.D's absence.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

1. AC
2. Tommy Kramer
3. Joey Browner
4. Moss
5. Doleman
6. CC
7. AD
8. Ted Brown
9. KWill
10. Fat Pat
11. Carl Lee
12. Terry Allen
13. Darrin Nelson
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Anthony Carter
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

mosscarter wrote:i was checking in to see if there was any chatter on this subject; and i'm surprised to say there is basically none. this is the best back this franchise has ever seen (and may ever see) and there are no thoughts?
Most of the conversation is over in this thread;
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29695&start=300