Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings

Post by S197 »

mansquatch wrote:In general I agree with SI97.

However... rolling in the mud...

One might have a different take and interpret this as Zimmer saying that as a coach last year he wasn't his best. I do no think such an interpretation is a reach. Whether one agrees with his prescription to fix the issues or not, you have to be happy that he is at least acknowledging that he needs to be better.

I do not recall Childress ever displaying any amount of humility, FWIW.
I don't think it's a reach either, he was definitely introspective and reached out to others (no one named specifically but I'm sure one was Parcells) for guidance.

That's one of the things I respect about Zimmer, he may call guys out but he's equally willing to raise his hand and let it be known when he's at fault. Whether any of this translates to successful growth, we'll see, but I think he has the right mindset.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I feels it's a play to reset a mentality, if anything. I also see how he may have implied it was due to his coaching. I wasn't at the practices, but being tentative -- to whatever extent -- leading up to the season as a fear of causing injury just doesn't seem like Zimmer's style.

I love how Zimmer picks the brains of former and current coaches, but I don't like the perception it brings. Makes him seem...incompetent as a head coach. I think it's a great idea to talk to those who have succeeded and such, but damn...If he keeps asking all these questions and gets away from what makes him a great coach, it kind of defeats the purpose of being your own leader and being true to your convictions that has led to success in the past. Of course, that was only on defense, so I think the offense and Norv leaving have his mind boggled and grasping for answers that he doesn't know how to answer.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

In 2015 and 2016 we've seen games where they just failed to show up. I can think of at least 2 each of the past season, the opening game against a putrid 49ers team in 2015 being the most glaring example. The game last season against the Colts is another one.

If this is Zimmer's way of addressing that issue, then I'm all for it. Proof will be the absence of a meltdown game this coming season so time will tell.

To reiterate what SI said, there is nothing concrete that Zimmer actually said. Everything in this thread is pure fan conjecture, including my own comments.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:In 2015 and 2016 we've seen games where they just failed to show up. I can think of at least 2 each of the past season, the opening game against a putrid 49ers team in 2015 being the most glaring example. The game last season against the Colts is another one.

If this is Zimmer's way of addressing that issue, then I'm all for it. Proof will be the absence of a meltdown game this coming season so time will tell.

To reiterate what SI said, there is nothing concrete that Zimmer actually said. Everything in this thread is pure fan conjecture, including my own comments.
:confused: He's directly quoted in the article.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Mothman wrote: :confused: He's directly quoted in the article.
He said he wants more blue collar practices and that he spoke to other coaches. OK. So what does that mean? If you take him at his word it means he talked to other coaches and wants more "blue collar" practices. Beyond those words any conclusions we draw are conjecture and speculation. :confused: :confused:
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:He said he wants more blue collar practices and that he spoke to other coaches. OK. So what does that mean? If you take him at his word it means he talked to other coaches and wants more "blue collar" practices. Beyond those words any conclusions we draw are conjecture and speculation. :confused: :confused:
I just didn't understand your comment.