View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:09 pm



Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings 
Author Message
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings
First we had Rick Spielman diving deep into OL research to come to the obvious conclusion that offensive linemen drafted early are more likely to be successful. Now we have this:

http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-viki ... ar-vikings

Quote:
At the end of last season, Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said the team's fall from a 5-0 start to an 8-8 record would lead him into a period of "soul-searching" as he tried to pinpoint what went wrong.

"I met with a lot of people this offseason, a number of head coaches, talked to them about how I can do things better," he said Friday.

The upshot of that stretch of self-examination, apparently, is that the Vikings need to be tougher.

Zimmer said he plans to set a more exacting standard in his fourth season, returning to the way he'd coached at the start of his tenure in Minnesota. The Vikings went 11-5 and won the NFC North in 2015, but saw their 5-0 record dissolve in a tempest of injuries, confounding performances and late-game losses in 2016.

"Going into last season, part of my whole goal was, I thought we had a pretty good football team and I wanted to make sure we got to the first game healthy," Zimmer said. "And so maybe I was a little bit cautious in some of the things. We're going to get back to being the Vikings. We're going to be blue-collar, and we're going to do the things that got us to be, where we played teams, that they respected the way we played."


I don't find this particularlyencouraging and I'm hoping it's just because the press is putting a simplistic spin on things. I hope Zimmer realizes the Vikings need to do a lot more than just get tougher. They need to play smarter.


Sat May 06, 2017 7:25 am
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17490
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings
Mothman wrote:
First we had Rick Spielman diving deep into OL research to come to the obvious conclusion that offensive linemen drafted early are more likely to be successful. Now we have this:

http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-viki ... ar-vikings

Quote:
At the end of last season, Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said the team's fall from a 5-0 start to an 8-8 record would lead him into a period of "soul-searching" as he tried to pinpoint what went wrong.

"I met with a lot of people this offseason, a number of head coaches, talked to them about how I can do things better," he said Friday.

The upshot of that stretch of self-examination, apparently, is that the Vikings need to be tougher.

Zimmer said he plans to set a more exacting standard in his fourth season, returning to the way he'd coached at the start of his tenure in Minnesota. The Vikings went 11-5 and won the NFC North in 2015, but saw their 5-0 record dissolve in a tempest of injuries, confounding performances and late-game losses in 2016.

"Going into last season, part of my whole goal was, I thought we had a pretty good football team and I wanted to make sure we got to the first game healthy," Zimmer said. "And so maybe I was a little bit cautious in some of the things. We're going to get back to being the Vikings. We're going to be blue-collar, and we're going to do the things that got us to be, where we played teams, that they respected the way we played."


I don't find this particularlyencouraging and I'm hoping it's just because the press is putting a simplistic spin on things. I hope Zimmer realizes the Vikings need to do a lot more than just get tougher. They need to play smarter.

And coach smarter.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Sat May 06, 2017 9:22 am
Profile YIM WWW
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm
Posts: 2904
Post Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings
Hey Zimmer the 1950s called and they want their coaching philosophy back :smilevike:


Sat May 06, 2017 9:52 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 pm
Posts: 1370
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Post Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings
SHAZAM!!!!!
Yay! We gonna be sum tough sumbitches now! Sgt. Carter is cracking the whip! Whoop whoop.
:lol: :slice:

_________________
Image
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter


Sat May 06, 2017 3:01 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings
:lol: at the Sgt. Carter reference!


Sat May 06, 2017 3:54 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 pm
Posts: 1370
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Post Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings
Mothman wrote:
:lol: at the Sgt. Carter reference!

I just couldn't help it when as soon as I read that Sgt. Carter popped into my head. "Okay Boone, MOVE IT, MOVE IT, MOVE IT!

_________________
Image
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter


Sat May 06, 2017 4:09 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings
CbusVikesFan wrote:
Mothman wrote:
:lol: at the Sgt. Carter reference!

I just couldn't help it when as soon as I read that Sgt. Carter popped into my head. "Okay Boone, MOVE IT, MOVE IT, MOVE IT!


Zimmer even has the haircut!


Sat May 06, 2017 4:49 pm
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings
Quote:
I don't find this particularlyencouraging and I'm hoping it's just because the press is putting a simplistic spin on things. I hope Zimmer realizes the Vikings need to do a lot more than just get tougher. They need to play smarter.


Didn't some people wonder if the hard practices, training etc were part of the reason for the injuries and players wearing down as the season went on?


Sun May 07, 2017 11:20 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 pm
Posts: 1370
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Post Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings
Mothman wrote:
CbusVikesFan wrote:
Mothman wrote:
:lol: at the Sgt. Carter reference!

I just couldn't help it when as soon as I read that Sgt. Carter popped into my head. "Okay Boone, MOVE IT, MOVE IT, MOVE IT!


Zimmer even has the haircut!

Spielman plays the role of "Duke".

_________________
Image
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter


Sun May 07, 2017 11:48 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:45 am
Posts: 1269
Post Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings
I hate this old school bullcrap.
Hard practice wont create talent, it wont make fail OL picks smarter or larger or faster.
Its all just smoke and mirror bull to satisfy the masses.

What we need is for the GM to do his damn job and get some top shelf talent to compete with the best teams in the league

What we need is a Head Coach who can prove he is more then just a really good Defensive Coach who gotta a lucky break and knows how to run an offense.

We need a Real WR threat who is a #1 receiver before the season starts.


Mon May 08, 2017 9:18 am
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:47 am
Posts: 10040
Location: Burbank, California
Post Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings
Mothman wrote:
I don't find this particularly encouraging and I'm hoping it's just because the press is putting a simplistic spin on things. I hope Zimmer realizes the Vikings need to do a lot more than just get tougher. They need to play smarter.


It most certainly isn't encouraging because it brings back memories of Brad Childress' methodology.

The Vikings need to fix some talent gaps, especially in the OL, and play and coach smarter.

Demi wrote:
Didn't some people wonder if the hard practices, training etc were part of the reason for the injuries and players wearing down as the season went on?


Yes. Good point.


Mon May 08, 2017 9:48 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 pm
Posts: 1370
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Post Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings
chicagopurple wrote:
I hate this old school bullcrap.
Hard practice wont create talent, it wont make fail OL picks smarter or larger or faster.
Its all just smoke and mirror bull to satisfy the masses.

What we need is for the GM to do his damn job and get some top shelf talent to compete with the best teams in the league

What we need is a Head Coach who can prove he is more then just a really good Defensive Coach who gotta a lucky break and knows how to run an offense.

We need a Real WR threat who is a #1 receiver before the season starts.

Tell us how WE really feel. :beerock:

_________________
Image
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter


Mon May 08, 2017 12:15 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10512
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings
Playing/coaching smarter and having tougher practices are not mutually exclusive. Seems like a bit of an offseason fluff piece not worthwhile to get all up in arms over.


Mon May 08, 2017 3:29 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3217
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings
In general I agree with SI97.

However... rolling in the mud...

One might have a different take and interpret this as Zimmer saying that as a coach last year he wasn't his best. I do no think such an interpretation is a reach. Whether one agrees with his prescription to fix the issues or not, you have to be happy that he is at least acknowledging that he needs to be better.

I do not recall Childress ever displaying any amount of humility, FWIW.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Tue May 09, 2017 12:17 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 pm
Posts: 1370
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Post Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings
mansquatch wrote:
In general I agree with SI97.

However... rolling in the mud...

One might have a different take and interpret this as Zimmer saying that as a coach last year he wasn't his best. I do no think such an interpretation is a reach. Whether one agrees with his prescription to fix the issues or not, you have to be happy that he is at least acknowledging that he needs to be better.

I do not recall Childress ever displaying any amount of humility, FWIW.

Zimmer gets a couple of mulligans with me. With his wife passing away and then his trouble with his eyes would lead anyone to distraction.
And who the heck is Childress? :confused: :D

_________________
Image
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter


Tue May 09, 2017 3:37 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10512
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings
mansquatch wrote:
In general I agree with SI97.

However... rolling in the mud...

One might have a different take and interpret this as Zimmer saying that as a coach last year he wasn't his best. I do no think such an interpretation is a reach. Whether one agrees with his prescription to fix the issues or not, you have to be happy that he is at least acknowledging that he needs to be better.

I do not recall Childress ever displaying any amount of humility, FWIW.


I don't think it's a reach either, he was definitely introspective and reached out to others (no one named specifically but I'm sure one was Parcells) for guidance.

That's one of the things I respect about Zimmer, he may call guys out but he's equally willing to raise his hand and let it be known when he's at fault. Whether any of this translates to successful growth, we'll see, but I think he has the right mindset.


Tue May 09, 2017 6:30 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 am
Posts: 2229
Location: Seattle, Wa
Post Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings
I feels it's a play to reset a mentality, if anything. I also see how he may have implied it was due to his coaching. I wasn't at the practices, but being tentative -- to whatever extent -- leading up to the season as a fear of causing injury just doesn't seem like Zimmer's style.

I love how Zimmer picks the brains of former and current coaches, but I don't like the perception it brings. Makes him seem...incompetent as a head coach. I think it's a great idea to talk to those who have succeeded and such, but damn...If he keeps asking all these questions and gets away from what makes him a great coach, it kind of defeats the purpose of being your own leader and being true to your convictions that has led to success in the past. Of course, that was only on defense, so I think the offense and Norv leaving have his mind boggled and grasping for answers that he doesn't know how to answer.


Sun May 14, 2017 6:15 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3217
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings
In 2015 and 2016 we've seen games where they just failed to show up. I can think of at least 2 each of the past season, the opening game against a putrid 49ers team in 2015 being the most glaring example. The game last season against the Colts is another one.

If this is Zimmer's way of addressing that issue, then I'm all for it. Proof will be the absence of a meltdown game this coming season so time will tell.

To reiterate what SI said, there is nothing concrete that Zimmer actually said. Everything in this thread is pure fan conjecture, including my own comments.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Mon May 15, 2017 9:39 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings
mansquatch wrote:
In 2015 and 2016 we've seen games where they just failed to show up. I can think of at least 2 each of the past season, the opening game against a putrid 49ers team in 2015 being the most glaring example. The game last season against the Colts is another one.

If this is Zimmer's way of addressing that issue, then I'm all for it. Proof will be the absence of a meltdown game this coming season so time will tell.

To reiterate what SI said, there is nothing concrete that Zimmer actually said. Everything in this thread is pure fan conjecture, including my own comments.


:confused: He's directly quoted in the article.


Mon May 15, 2017 10:34 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3217
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings
Mothman wrote:
mansquatch wrote:
In 2015 and 2016 we've seen games where they just failed to show up. I can think of at least 2 each of the past season, the opening game against a putrid 49ers team in 2015 being the most glaring example. The game last season against the Colts is another one.

If this is Zimmer's way of addressing that issue, then I'm all for it. Proof will be the absence of a meltdown game this coming season so time will tell.

To reiterate what SI said, there is nothing concrete that Zimmer actually said. Everything in this thread is pure fan conjecture, including my own comments.


:confused: He's directly quoted in the article.


He said he wants more blue collar practices and that he spoke to other coaches. OK. So what does that mean? If you take him at his word it means he talked to other coaches and wants more "blue collar" practices. Beyond those words any conclusions we draw are conjecture and speculation. :confused: :confused:

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Mon May 15, 2017 10:40 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings
mansquatch wrote:
He said he wants more blue collar practices and that he spoke to other coaches. OK. So what does that mean? If you take him at his word it means he talked to other coaches and wants more "blue collar" practices. Beyond those words any conclusions we draw are conjecture and speculation. :confused: :confused:


I just didn't understand your comment.


Mon May 15, 2017 10:48 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], me4get, PsyDanny, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.