Michael Floyd in the 'Cards' for the Vikings?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mike2mike
Starter

Michael Floyd in the 'Cards' for the Vikings?

Post by mike2mike »

Minnesotan native Michael Floyd potentially may ink a 1year deal with the Vikes
http://thevikingage.com/2017/05/03/viki ... minnesota/

Not bad, Wright at 27 and Thielen at 26 are the oldest Viking WR, so we could use a little veteran pressance. Great downfield blocker and I think still has some game as a WR waiting to be tapped into if he can keep his head on straight off field.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Michael Floyd in the 'Cards' for the Vikings?

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mike2mike wrote:Minnesotan native Michael Floyd potentially may ink a 1year deal with the Vikes
http://thevikingage.com/2017/05/03/viki ... minnesota/

Not bad, Wright at 27 and Thielen at 26 are the oldest Viking WR, so we could use a little veteran pressance. Great downfield blocker and I think still has some game as a WR waiting to be tapped into if he can keep his head on straight off field.
Never been a Floyd fan. Also, just to give you a heads up from fan to fan, thevikingage.com is a highly unreliable website. The rumors they stir up on there are hardly ever legit or matter to anything. Anytime I see an article they post, I dont even read it anymore because it usually comes with no validity
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

This would make little sense to me. Outside of some legitimate stud becoming available, I see no reason to go after any FA WR at this point. LB and S?...sure, but not WR.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Nunin wrote:This would make little sense to me. Outside of some legitimate stud becoming available, I see no reason to go after any FA WR at this point. LB and S?...sure, but not WR.
Based on their reported interest in Alshon Jeffery in free agency and these rumors about Floyd, the Vikes may feel they're in need of a downfield threat.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Nunin wrote:This would make little sense to me. Outside of some legitimate stud becoming available, I see no reason to go after any FA WR at this point. LB and S?...sure, but not WR.
Agreed. We have Diggs, Thielen, Treadwell, Wright, Smith, Coley and Mobo. Those top 4 are pretty solid and we need to give Treadwell his opportunity. Plus we have guys like Smith and Coley that have a lot of potential
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Agreed. We have Diggs, Thielen, Treadwell, Wright, Smith, Coley and Mobo. Those top 4 are pretty solid and we need to give Treadwell his opportunity. Plus we have guys like Smith and Coley that have a lot of potential

You are seriously listing "Mobo" as a reason why we don't need to look at FAs?

I'd love for that guy to make me eat my words, but that is one heck of a long shot. I can't blame the FO for looking at other options.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

I'm all for seeing Treadwell out there. I'm not convinced he's a deep threat though.
I thought Jeffery was more of a possesion/redzone type? maybe i'm wrong there....but he is the type of caliber I'd consider.
-
I think Diggs/Wright can stretch the field. I'm stunned at how Wright fell out of favor. That guy is fast.
-
They have a stud in Diggs, a solid do everything guy in Theilen, lots of money invested in Wright and a high draft pick in Treadwell...plus a recent history of driving down the value of FA WRs.
-
I'd take Patterson over Floyd on most days. I guess they could find a more explosive guy than Theilen...but my point is that they would do well just to get the current crop into a flow with Bradford/Shurmur.
-
I just find the specific focus on RB/WR to be a bit unrealistic. And by that I mean that in the past 20 years this franchise has fielded one of the top 2 receivers of all time and a top5 RB for the prime of their careers and never made it to a superbowl with either of them due to systemic flaws.
Conversely, Tom Brady as one example, has played 2 seasons with a guy like that in Moss and also has never, nor will he ever, play a snap with the Pats career leader in yds rushing or receiving..
-
If your system is good guys will make plays. Just a couple years ago the talk here was about how the Vikes had, arguably, the fastest WR corp in the league.....it has produced little so far.
My theory is that it's due to lack of contin
uity of scheme as well as having a dumpster fire for o-line, not cause the WRs are inept.
-
Giving up what they did to draft CP then letting him walk for nothing just when it looked like, at least to me, that he was going to become a serious weapon is it in a nutshell for me.
The issue has been QB and line all a long.
I guess it doesn't hurt to look at guy like Floyd....but IMO a WR is not what this offense lacks...
Fielding above average skill players in lieu of having a stable scheme/line/QB play goes mostly nowhere. I've seen that movie for awhile now.
-
bit of a rant...sorry
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Nunin wrote:I'm all for seeing Treadwell out there. I'm not convinced he's a deep threat though.
I thought Jeffery was more of a possesion/redzone type? maybe i'm wrong there....but he is the type of caliber I'd consider.
-
I think Diggs/Wright can stretch the field. I'm stunned at how Wright fell out of favor. That guy is fast.
-
They have a stud in Diggs, a solid do everything guy in Theilen, lots of money invested in Wright and a high draft pick in Treadwell...plus a recent history of driving down the value of FA WRs.
-
I'd take Patterson over Floyd on most days. I guess they could find a more explosive guy than Theilen...but my point is that they would do well just to get the current crop into a flow with Bradford/Shurmur.
-
I just find the specific focus on RB/WR to be a bit unrealistic. And by that I mean that in the past 20 years this franchise has fielded one of the top 2 receivers of all time and a top5 RB for the prime of their careers and never made it to a superbowl with either of them due to systemic flaws.
Conversely, Tom Brady as one example, has played 2 seasons with a guy like that in Moss and also has never, nor will he ever, play a snap with the Pats career leader in yds rushing or receiving..
-
If your system is good guys will make plays. Just a couple years ago the talk here was about how the Vikes had, arguably, the fastest WR corp in the league.....it has produced little so far.
My theory is that it's due to lack of contin
uity of scheme as well as having a dumpster fire for o-line, not cause the WRs are inept.
-
Giving up what they did to draft CP then letting him walk for nothing just when it looked like, at least to me, that he was going to become a serious weapon is it in a nutshell for me.
The issue has been QB and line all a long.
I guess it doesn't hurt to look at guy like Floyd....but IMO a WR is not what this offense lacks...
Fielding above average skill players in lieu of having a stable scheme/line/QB play goes mostly nowhere. I've seen that movie for awhile now.
-
bit of a rant...sorry
Is $3M a lot for Wright?

I'm satisfied with our WRs. We need the O-line to play to help the passing game. The horses are there.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote:
You are seriously listing "Mobo" as a reason why we don't need to look at FAs?

I'd love for that guy to make me eat my words, but that is one heck of a long shot. I can't blame the FO for looking at other options.
I didnt mean it like that. I was just putting down our WRs, hence why I had him listed last
-Chazz Palminteri
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

@DP
I think it's a lot for anyone to be a backup who rarely sees the field. But realistically I think Wright has earned that salary based on how he's played...just so long as he keeps getting snaps.
Maybe he was injured or something early last year? I really don't remember...but I agree that the WR corp is decent looking and diverse group.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

From Sid Hartman's article on DT Jones' transition from the Packers in the strib today, under jottings, I found this interesting nugget, which seems applicable here:
According to Zimmer, people who wrote off wide receiver Laquon Treadwell will find the Vikings’ top draft choice of a year ago is really standing out in offseason workouts and will be counted on to be a lot better player than he was last season.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike wrote:From Sid Hartman's article on DT Jones' transition from the Packers in the strib today, under jottings, I found this interesting nugget, which seems applicable here:
Great to hear. Thanks. I'm eager to see him in action. I saw a tweet a couple weeks ago where a fan happened to be on his flight and his reading material was the playbook. Not a huge thing, but noteworthy on some level.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

dead_poet wrote: Great to hear. Thanks. I'm eager to see him in action. I saw a tweet a couple weeks ago where a fan happened to be on his flight and his reading material was the playbook. Not a huge thing, but noteworthy on some level.
I think it is a pretty huge thing......dude could have been doing/reading anything. Shows his commitment and dedication so I'm pretty stoked to hear that.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Texas Vike wrote:From Sid Hartman's article on DT Jones' transition from the Packers in the strib today, under jottings, I found this interesting nugget, which seems applicable here:
This what we should have been hearing last year.
Michael Floyd, no thanks.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

CbusVikesFan wrote: This what we should have been hearing last year.
Michael Floyd, no thanks.

It's also the sort of thing we repeatedly heard Zimmer say about Patterson during the offseason(s) and then when the actual games rolled around, they'd keep him on the bench most of the time. After 3 years, I'm inclined to pay less attention to what Zimmer says about this sort of thing and more to what he does. Hopefully, Treadwell will be impressive from now through December and into the postseason. He'd better be "a lot better player than he was last season" because last season he gave the Vikes zilch. #notbitterjustdisappointed