Shurmur: Offseason will be critical for Laquon Treadwell

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Shurmur: Offseason will be critical for Laquon Treadwell

Post by Mothman »

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-pat- ... 414356933/
By the time Vikings rookie receiver Laquon Treadwell was up to speed and healthy enough, Sam Bradford and Pat Shurmur had taken full control of the offense.
Treadwell, the 23rd-overall pick in last year’s draft, didn’t earn enough playing time in practice or games to build aconnection with the Vikings’ new quarterback.

“That connection between the quarterback and skill position players is really important,” Shurmur said last week. “And that chemistry is really built in the offseason when you get the chance to slow it down, run the individual routes in the concepts.”
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Shurmur: Offseason will be critical for Laquon Treadwell

Post by fiestavike »

If the Viking retain Patterson, I have a hard time seeing Treadwell finding his way onto the field next season. And even if they let Patterson go, he'll have to edge out Wright and Bohringer! ;)

Honestly, I think what they do with Patterson will say a lot about Treadwells future with this team.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I strongly doubt they'll keep Wright AND Patterson. Most likely Wright is gone in that scenario. Patterson's special teams ability would seem to provide more benefit game to game than Wrights rare snaps on offense.

I still think they were shopping Wright on the trade block by giving him snaps in the last game of the year. We'll see.

Bohringer is on the practice squad. He was and is a a high risk pick. No guarantee he ever sees a regular season snap.

As for Treadwell, the above quote from the article seems to to say it all. Will be interesting to see what he can do in his second season.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

mansquatch wrote:I strongly doubt they'll keep Wright AND Patterson. Most likely Wright is gone in that scenario. Patterson's special teams ability would seem to provide more benefit game to game than Wrights rare snaps on offense.

I still think they were shopping Wright on the trade block by giving him snaps in the last game of the year. We'll see.

Bohringer is on the practice squad. He was and is a a high risk pick. No guarantee he ever sees a regular season snap.

As for Treadwell, the above quote from the article seems to to say it all. Will be interesting to see what he can do in his second season.
I think they've got a better chance of keeping Wright. I think Patterson is going to be fielding a ton of offers. There are several bigger name WR free agents this year, but they're mostly older. (Vincent jackson, Victor Cruz, Pierre Garcon, DeSean Jackson, Anquan Boldin, etc). Alshon Jeffery is out there at 27 but he's already got a giant salary.

Patterson has potential and is already a proven threat at kick returner. I think he'll get offered more than the Vikings are willing to pay.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Cliff wrote: I think they've got a better chance of keeping Wright. I think Patterson is going to be fielding a ton of offers. There are several bigger name WR free agents this year, but they're mostly older. (Vincent jackson, Victor Cruz, Pierre Garcon, DeSean Jackson, Anquan Boldin, etc). Alshon Jeffery is out there at 27 but he's already got a giant salary.

Patterson has potential and is already a proven threat at kick returner. I think he'll get offered more than the Vikings are willing to pay.
It was interesting to hear Charles Johnson contradict the official narrative and explicitly say that Patterson was basically a goof early in his career and only recently started working like a professional. If that's true, its one of those difficult questions for an organization to gauge. Did Patterson start being professional because he's going to be a free agent, or because the light bulb went on? You'd hate to be the team that get's burned twice by him, but his talent is immense. It will be intersting.

If he goes, will it be Diggs, Wright, or Treadwell who get most of the snaps from the slot?

Personally I like Diggs and Thielen on the outside and hopefully Treadwell in the slot, but if he's not ready, you could be in the market for another WR who either upgrades Wright in the slot or plays outside and shifts Diggs inside.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:It was interesting to hear Charles Johnson contradict the official narrative and explicitly say that Patterson was basically a goof early in his career and only recently started working like a professional.
Is this something he said recently?
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Treadwell is a physically best suited to be "Boldin" type receiver who can out physical DBs for the ball. If he can become that kind of guy it would be great for the Vikings. Not sure if that makes him best in the slot our the outside. I suspect he could play both roles.

Diggs has been great, but he has durability concerns. In both of the last two seasons he has missed time due to injuries.

Theilen is shaping up to be a diamond in the rough find which is great.

CP84 seems to give the most bang in the slot, especialy when they can motion him to mess up defensive alignments or create favorable matchups either for him or other WR. There is definitely outside WR talent there, the question is if he can develop the mental game to a point where he can convert that talent into plays on the field.

It really feels like Jarius Wright with his veteran contract is the odd guy out.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:Treadwell is a physically best suited to be "Boldin" type receiver who can out physical DBs for the ball. If he can become that kind of guy it would be great for the Vikings. Not sure if that makes him best in the slot our the outside. I suspect he could play both roles.
Teams usually want a physical receiver on the outside at split end because the SE has to line up on the line of scrimmage. That might be Treadwell's most logical position. Typically, teams want more speed in the slot.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Vikings are cursed when it comes to drafting QBs and WRs. :|
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

fiestavike wrote:It was interesting to hear Charles Johnson contradict the official narrative and explicitly say that Patterson was basically a goof early in his career and only recently started working like a professional. If that's true, its one of those difficult questions for an organization to gauge. Did Patterson start being professional because he's going to be a free agent, or because the light bulb went on? You'd hate to be the team that get's burned twice by him, but his talent is immense. It will be intersting.

If he goes, will it be Diggs, Wright, or Treadwell who get most of the snaps from the slot?

Personally I like Diggs and Thielen on the outside and hopefully Treadwell in the slot, but if he's not ready, you could be in the market for another WR who either upgrades Wright in the slot or plays outside and shifts Diggs inside.
I hadn't read Johnson saying that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I think it's more likely that teams will see a ridiculously physically talented player who is already good (best in the league?) in the return game. Rather than seeing themselves burned, I'm betting at least a few will see it as the Vikings putting in all of the investment and them reaping the benefits.

I could see Thielen in the slot and Treadwell outside. Diggs almost certainly stays on the outside, I think.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: Is this something he said recently?
No matter when Johnson said it, I have to question his intent. Maybe he was at least half joking. Patterson's rookie season was far too good for him to have been goofing off. And CP definitely showed his worth last year as a truly versatile player.

I'd rather have Patterson back more than any other Vikings WR, aside from Diggs and Thielen, and more than the older guys in free agency.

The Vikings need to keep both Patterson and Thielen. It won't be cheap but it will be worth it. If they can retain Wright, that's not a bad idea either. He was seriously underplayed last year.
beerfan
Backup

Post by beerfan »

Im very different than most Vikings fans in the fact that I think they should let Patterson walk. I just dont think he will be worth the money he gets. Sure he has potential and he is an amazing kick returner, but he hasnt really shown much as a receiver except for a little bit last year in a contract season. To me it just appears that he is another one of those WRs that we are better off letting go than signing to a big contract. It worked out well for us with Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin.

I also still think the ideal scenario at running back is to get AP to renegotiate. I know he has turned a lot of people off with his injuries and attitude over the past few years, but he is still the most talented RB option. I realize the risk, but if the risk pays off it will go a long way towards winning a Super Bowl next year. I know it is not likely that he gets over his ego and accepts the role we would need him to play, its just that I like taking a risk on him better than any of the other RB options because the potential payoff is the highest.

Sorry if this is off topic from the Treadwell discussion. I think he should take over Cordarelle's spot as the project WR on this team.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I cannot dissagree more on CP84. His value on ST is tremendous. Plus, unlike Devin Hester, he is a beast both as a gunner and as a returner.

Not sure if you watched the Giants vs. Packers in wild card round this past season, but in that game a major reason the packers won was because they were routinely pinning the Giants' offense behind the 20 yard line due to the latter's utterly putrid return game. The Giant's couldn't get any traction on offense due to having their play selection limited by being so far back in their own zone. Eventually that loss on field position added up and they couldn't crawl out of the hole the Packers put them in. A key to making this happen for GB was having excellent gunners. CP84 is probably the best overall gunner in the league.

ST is tough thing to gauge. Only in it's best moments does it translate to the scoreboard, but it can do other, more subtle things routinely that help a team win. This is even more critical for a team whose strength is it's defense.

CP84's contract is going to be very interesting league wide. He is not a top performer at WR, but he is an elite ST player. He gets used both ways, but in the NFL, the ST stuff typically doesn't get you paid. I suspect that in this case it will get CP paid, but how much?
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

losperros wrote: No matter when Johnson said it, I have to question his intent. Maybe he was at least half joking. Patterson's rookie season was far too good for him to have been goofing off. And CP definitely showed his worth last year as a truly versatile player.

I'd rather have Patterson back more than any other Vikings WR, aside from Diggs and Thielen, and more than the older guys in free agency.

The Vikings need to keep both Patterson and Thielen. It won't be cheap but it will be worth it. If they can retain Wright, that's not a bad idea either. He was seriously underplayed last year.
Agree here.....also scratching my head in regards to Wright barely sniffing the field last year. It's not like he can't play.....I'm not saying he is elite but he could be a solid 3rd or 4th WR.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think he didn't play because Thielen and Diggs dominated the depth chart and then he was behind CP84, plus you had Rudolph also gobbling up receptions. CJ also had more equity, at least with Norv. Given the lack of protection we didn't see too many 5 WR play calls either. He was the odd guy out.