Vikings’ collapse inspires offseason changes

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Vikings’ collapse inspires offseason changes

Post by Mothman »

An encouraging read:
Vikings’ collapse inspires offseason changes for key contributors
Memo to opposing receivers: Vikings cornerback Xavier Rhodes has taken up boxing.

OK, so it’s not exactly like that. Rhodes hasn’t faced anybody in the ring.

But Rhodes put on the gloves for workouts as part of his offseason training regiment.

“That was a great thing for me,’’ Rhodes said during spring workouts that began April 17. “It helped me with my foot work and cardio and working on my hands, not grabbing as much.’’
There's obviously more at the link. The article is about Rhodes, Barr and Diggs.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings’ collapse inspires offseason changes

Post by Texas Vike »

Having grown up on the Minneapolis side of the Twin Cities, I have a long standing habit to only look to the Star Tribune for my MN news, especially w/ Vikings-related stuff.

I've noticed you often link stories from the Pioneer Press and they are often solid. Thanks for posting this. I need to give St. Paul more attention!
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Texas Vike wrote:Having grown up on the Minneapolis side of the Twin Cities, I have a long standing habit to only look to the Star Tribune for my MN news, especially w/ Vikings-related stuff.

I've noticed you often link stories from the Pioneer Press and they are often solid. Thanks for posting this. I need to give St. Paul more attention!
I am not from Minnesota, but I don't blame you: I have always found the Pioneer Press' analysis to be shallow, scathing, and overall, inferior to the Star Tribune. It has gotten better though.

Conversely, the Star Tribune has really gone down hill the last few years. I really miss Kevin Seifert. How Jim Souhan continues to have a main-stay job is beyond me.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: I am not from Minnesota, but I don't blame you: I have always found the Pioneer Press' analysis to be shallow, scathing, and overall, inferior to the Star Tribune. It has gotten better though.

Conversely, the Star Tribune has really gone down hill the last few years. I really miss Kevin Seifert. How Jim Souhan continues to have a main-stay job is beyond me.

Agreed. The strib has gone down hill in its sports' coverage.

Seifert was (and is) solid. He always seemed a bit dorky to me, but he's gotten better with age. I actually think he and Goesling are two of the best at covering the NFL and they both started with covering the Vikes (I think).

Pioneer Press has long been seen as very much in second place in the TC press market.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: I am not from Minnesota, but I don't blame you: I have always found the Pioneer Press' analysis to be shallow, scathing, and overall, inferior to the Star Tribune. It has gotten better though.

That's an easy answer.

The fact that Souhan pisses you (and many others) off tells you all you need to know. Polarizing figures in the media world are cash cows. When I was in journalism school, Ken Burger, then a columnist and now on Fox Sports, came to visit us one day as a guest lecturer. I asked him, "Do you actually believe all that crap you write?" He said, "It doesn't matter what I believe. The fact that you're reading all that crap is the only thing that matters."

Idiots don't get attention. Idiots with access get more attention than just about anyone. Best example I can think of ... Skip Bayless.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Having grown up on the Minneapolis side of the Twin Cities, I have a long standing habit to only look to the Star Tribune for my MN news, especially w/ Vikings-related stuff.

The PP provides some pretty good Vikes coverage. One of the reasons I go to their coverage often is the Star Tribune puts a limit on how many articles I can read a month. I subscribed to it for a while but they botched my cancellation of that subscription badly so I probably won't be going down that road with them again.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: That's an easy answer.

The fact that Souhan pisses you (and many others) off tells you all you need to know. Polarizing figures in the media world are cash cows. When I was in journalism school, Ken Burger, then a columnist and now on Fox Sports, came to visit us one day as a guest lecturer. I asked him, "Do you actually believe all that crap you write?" He said, "It doesn't matter what I believe. The fact that you're reading all that crap is the only thing that matters."

Idiots don't get attention. Idiots with access get more attention than just about anyone. Best example I can think of ... Skip Bayless.
... and that's a fantastic example!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I always dug Pelissero. Siefert was alright. Kind of has an interesting niche at ESPN now. I've been over Judd for awhile. Goessling I guess is one of the best now. I like small doses of Craig. I almost dig some of the bloggers more these days.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:I always dug Pelissero. Siefert was alright. Kind of has an interesting niche at ESPN now. I've been over Judd for awhile. Goessling I guess is one of the best now. I like small doses of Craig. I almost dig some of the bloggers more these days.
I agree on Pelissero.

Which bloggers?
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Most of the media in this town (Twin Cities) on the sports side is just boring and not at all insightful. It focuses on hype and hyperbole as well as a healthy dose of cynicism. In most cases it seems like they build stories by talking to each other vs. doing any hard analysis on the actual teams. Look no further than KFAN. They all feed off each other and talk about what the other guy in the media said. I always find myself asking a question like "Why does Dan Cole or Paul Lambert have more insight into this team and the game of football than I do?" In most cases I feel like the answer is "they do not."

I may not always agree with the general views on this forum, but the people here think things through and actually watch the games. I can't tell you how many articles I've read over the years where I've felt like someone on this forum was doing 10x better work for free. That has been a huge reason why I've been coming here for as long as I have.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike wrote: I agree on Pelissero.

Which bloggers?
Eric Thompson, Luke Inman, Hasan, J.R. (@JReidDraftScout), BJ Reidell (@RobertReidell). I've really been enjoying J.R.'s pre-draft stuff.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly