Vikings Message Board.Com
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/

Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29801
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Pondering Her Percy [ Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

Great pick. Wanted him or Feeney. Pretty sure I did say I was confident Spielman and Zim would assess the OL in the offseason. Reiff, Remmers and now Elflein....just sayin :tongue:

Author:  S197 [ Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

Seems like he has great work ethic and leadership. Wouldn't mind a Matt Birk 2.0.

Author:  fiestavike [ Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

He's a good solid player for sure.

Author:  VikingPaul73 [ Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

love the pick and the versatility

but did we need to trade up for him???

Author:  VikingPaul73 [ Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

who do you guys think will start this year at C/RG??

1. Berger/Sirles
2. Berger/Elflein
3. Elflein/Berger
4. Elflein/Sirles


I should start a poll :v):

Author:  808vikingsfan [ Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

VikingPaul73 wrote:
who do you guys think will start this year at C/RG??

1. Berger/Sirles
2. Berger/Elflein
3. Elflein/Berger
4. Elflein/Sirles


I should start a poll :v):


I think you did! :tongue:

Author:  PurpleMustReign [ Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

S197 wrote:
Seems like he has great work ethic and leadership. Wouldn't mind a Matt Birk 2.0.

But he didn't go to Harvard.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Author:  808vikingsfan [ Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

PurpleMustReign wrote:
S197 wrote:
Seems like he has great work ethic and leadership. Wouldn't mind a Matt Birk 2.0.

But he didn't go to Harvard.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The Vikings have been sorely missing a good C for a long time.

Author:  PurpleKoolaid [ Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

I like this pick. I was equally happy with Elflein or Feeny. I think Rick is moving up on Cook and Elfrein cause he knew teams close to our picks wanted the same guys. Cinci would have loved Cook too, so Rick didnt want to have to make the choice of taking Mixon.

With Ellfein, they figured he was worth the move because his potential is slightly better then Feeney. I cant believe I like the way Rick played this draft so far, LOVE the players were got, think they were BPA at the times, and it wouldnt surprise me if rick makes a few more good picks. Probably mostly D players now.

Author:  VikingPaul73 [ Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
I like this pick. I was equally happy with Elflein or Feeny. I think Rick is moving up on Cook and Elfrein cause he knew teams close to our picks wanted the same guys. Cinci would have loved Cook too, so Rick didnt want to have to make the choice of taking Mixon.

With Ellfein, they figured he was worth the move because his potential is slightly better then Feeney. I cant believe I like the way Rick played this draft so far, LOVE the players were got, think they were BPA at the times, and it wouldnt surprise me if rick makes a few more good picks. Probably mostly D players now.


who are you and what did you do with our beloved PurpleK :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Author:  Pondering Her Percy [ Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

VikingPaul73 wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
I like this pick. I was equally happy with Elflein or Feeny. I think Rick is moving up on Cook and Elfrein cause he knew teams close to our picks wanted the same guys. Cinci would have loved Cook too, so Rick didnt want to have to make the choice of taking Mixon.

With Ellfein, they figured he was worth the move because his potential is slightly better then Feeney. I cant believe I like the way Rick played this draft so far, LOVE the players were got, think they were BPA at the times, and it wouldnt surprise me if rick makes a few more good picks. Probably mostly D players now.


who are you and what did you do with our beloved PurpleK :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:


:lol: hey for not having a first, this has been an excellent draft so far

Author:  Maelstrom88 [ Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

Don't know much about him but hopefully he can come in and help this line. Seems solid if not spectacular. Pretty much what you could expect from this year's crop of oline men.

Author:  HardcoreVikesFan [ Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

Glad we got a starting type offensive lineman. Not so sure about passing on Dan Feeney however. Time will tell, but I don't hate this pick.

Author:  J. Kapp 11 [ Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

Elflein was a center at OSU.

Wonder if he'll play center or RG for the Vikings.

Author:  fiestavike [ Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Elflein was a center at OSU.

Wonder if he'll play center or RG for the Vikings.


He played G and C there. I bet they start with the veteran at C and Elflein at G, if he wins the job.

Author:  MikethePurple [ Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

From what I read, Elflein had more success in his moves from G and C where Feeney struggled in positions outside of RG. Spielman has said how much they value versatility in position especially given all the injuries from last year. I'm guessing that played a large role in taking Elflein over Feeney.

Author:  fiestavike [ Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

MikethePurple wrote:
From what I read, Elflein had more success in his moves from G and C where Feeney struggled in positions outside of RG. Spielman has said how much they value versatility in position especially given all the injuries from last year. I'm guessing that played a large role in taking Elflein over Feeney.


Lieber lit up Feeney before the draft. He said he really gets no push, stands up out of his stance and wrestles with the defender. That's all fine in the right scheme, but doesn't sound like what Sparano was seeking last year anyway. Add in the concussions and Elfilein is much the better fit.

Author:  Mothman [ Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
Glad we got a starting type offensive lineman. Not so sure about passing on Dan Feeney however. Time will tell, but I don't hate this pick.


If they really are transitioning to a zone blocking scheme, as you were wondering in another thread, Feeney might have been an ideal choice to play guard in that scheme. I'm happy with the Elflein pick though. He has the potential to excel in the middle of their line and I think he was a good value in R3 (Feeney would have been too).

Author:  Mothman [ Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

fiestavike wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Elflein was a center at OSU.

Wonder if he'll play center or RG for the Vikings.


He played G and C there. I bet they start with the veteran at C and Elflein at G, if he wins the job.


It's also possible Berger is planning on retiring and Elflein and Easton will be competing to start at center.

Author:  fiestavike [ Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

Mothman wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Elflein was a center at OSU.

Wonder if he'll play center or RG for the Vikings.


He played G and C there. I bet they start with the veteran at C and Elflein at G, if he wins the job.


It's also possible Berger is planning on retiring and Elflein and Easton will be competing to start at center.


True. I'm hoping Berger would've decided already if he was going to retire, but you never know. One more year would be nice to help bridge the gap.

Author:  720pete [ Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:11 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

So we drafted the second Center of the draft, in the third round. Is this guy a week 1 starter or no?

Author:  fiestavike [ Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

720pete wrote:
So we drafted the second Center of the draft, in the third round. Is this guy a week 1 starter or no?


Yes, I think so.

Author:  Texas Vike [ Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

Liked this pick. I wish we'd have followed it up with another OL soon after instad of Gedeon.

Author:  Pseudo Everything [ Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

Glad we moved up to take Elflein (who Zimmer thought would be more of a center due to lack of size).

How bad was this year's OL class:

Gil Brandt: Only 10 OL taken in first 3 rounds -- tied for 2nd fewest in common draft era

Author:  Maelstrom88 [ Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

From what I read about him he is smart and has a great work ethic and he started 40 consecutive games after a foot injury his first year. Sounds promising to me. I'm not thrilled with the state of the line but with how quick the ball comes out under Shurmur I feel they will be good enough.

Author:  halfgiz [ Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

@Andrew_Krammer
6h
Mike Zimmer: Pat Elflein will begin at center. Played guard before, but he's a really good center.

Author:  Rock45 [ Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

Great pick. Best pick they made.

Author:  808vikingsfan [ Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

Rock45 wrote:
Great pick. Best pick they made.


I think you might be right about this. Vikings finally get an anchor for this OL. Reminds me of when the Vikings picked up Linval on the other side.

Author:  J. Kapp 11 [ Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

Mothman wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Elflein was a center at OSU.

Wonder if he'll play center or RG for the Vikings.


He played G and C there. I bet they start with the veteran at C and Elflein at G, if he wins the job.


It's also possible Berger is planning on retiring and Elflein and Easton will be competing to start at center.

Have you heard something, Jim?

Author:  Mothman [ Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Have you heard something, Jim?


I've heard a few unsubstantiated rumors but he tossed out the idea of retirement a couple of years ago and I think he said early this offseason that he had some thinking to do. He missed time with a concussion last year and he turns 35 next month so I'm thinking it's a possibility.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/