Vikings Message Board.Com
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/

Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29800
Page 5 of 5

Author:  Norv Zimmer [ Mon May 08, 2017 10:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

soflavike wrote:
While I was hoping for more OL help in the 2nd round, Dalvin Cook is a pretty good receiver out of the backfield and was a proven playmaker at FSU. I'm excited at the potential. He could even be a dangerous KR, for which we have a vacancy in the roster.

Could have done much worse. Let's see what the kid's got.

:govikes:



I think their 5th round pick Adams has the KR position locked up now. I doubt they would use their starting running back at KR anyway.

Author:  CbusVikesFan [ Mon May 08, 2017 12:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

Speaking of pass catching/screens if he could be a good as Robert Smith at it then we'll have something. Although I feel that screens are not as successful as they used to be.

Author:  dead_poet [ Mon May 08, 2017 1:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

CbusVikesFan wrote:
Although I feel that screens are not as successful as they used to be.


They're easier for teams now that Winfield retired.
:wink:

Author:  CbusVikesFan [ Mon May 08, 2017 6:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

dead_poet wrote:
CbusVikesFan wrote:
Although I feel that screens are not as successful as they used to be.


They're easier for teams now that Winfield retired.
:wink:

Yes, good one.

Author:  SidestreamFB Pete [ Mon May 08, 2017 8:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

CbusVikesFan wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
CbusVikesFan wrote:
Although I feel that screens are not as successful as they used to be.


They're easier for teams now that Winfield retired.
:wink:

Yes, good one.


In-division I think the screens can be pretty effective, assuming they get creative with them. We have some good slot options in Diggs, Hodges and a few other players. I don't think the Bears, Lions and Packers have the luxury of putting a good corner in the nickel to focus on Cook. The Bears have a pretty underrated LB core that could cause problems, but the Packers' and Lions' are suspect.

Either way, Cook isn't just a screen-back. With these two new run-blocking tackles, we should be able to create some off-tackle lanes very effectively and be > .500 in the NFC North just on the merit of an improved run-game and solid defense.

Author:  CbusVikesFan [ Tue May 09, 2017 3:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

Elflien is a great pull run blocker too. That should enhance those plays.

Author:  J. Kapp 11 [ Tue May 23, 2017 11:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

Interesting line from Sports Illustrated's MMQB today:

Quote:
Vikings prediction in 10 words or less: By Halloween, Cook will be a top-five NFL back.

Read the full article.

It's part of Peter King's preseason NFL power rankings. He has the Vikings 16th, which is about where they belong.

Author:  dead_poet [ Tue May 23, 2017 9:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Interesting line from Sports Illustrated's MMQB today:

Quote:
Vikings prediction in 10 words or less: By Halloween, Cook will be a top-five NFL back.

Read the full article.

It's part of Peter King's preseason NFL power rankings. He has the Vikings 16th, which is about where they belong.


Agree with the ranking. Whew with the Cook prediction.

Author:  HardcoreVikesFan [ Tue May 23, 2017 9:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Interesting line from Sports Illustrated's MMQB today:

Quote:
Vikings prediction in 10 words or less: By Halloween, Cook will be a top-five NFL back.

Read the full article.

It's part of Peter King's preseason NFL power rankings. He has the Vikings 16th, which is about where they belong.


Dalvin Cook sure is generating a lot of hype for a second round rookie. Moreover, a rookie who has yet to take an NFL snap and is running behind what projects to a sub-par offensive line.

It's been 10 years, so maybe I mis-remembering, but, I never recalled this much hype surrounding future HOF Adrian Peterson when we drafted him.

Author:  S197 [ Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

Interesting breakdown of the 2016 trade with Miami. Initial trade:

Dolphins receive:
•86th pick (2016)

Vikings receive:
•186th pick (2016)
•86th pick (2017)
•128th pick (2017)

By the end of 2017, the trade was worth this via additional trades:

Dolphins receive:
•86th pick (2016)

Vikings receive:
•196th pick (2016)
•227th pick (2016)
•109th pick (2017)
•128th pick (2017)
•170th pick (2017)
•180th pick (2017)
•219th pick (2017)
•230th pick (2017)
•245th pick (2017)

Players drafted with picks

2016:
•DE Stephen Weatherly

2017:
•DT Jaleel Johnson
•WR Rodney Adams
•OL Danny Isidora
•WR Stacy Coley
•DB Jack Tocho

Players acquired using picks (in trades):

2016:
•TE David Morgan

2017:
•RB Dalvin Cook
•DE Ifeadi Odenigbo

Pretty impressive.

https://thevikingage.com/2017/05/27/revisiting-vikings-2016-draft-day-trade-with-dolphins/

Author:  808vikingsfan [ Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

S197 wrote:
Interesting breakdown of the 2016 trade with Miami. Initial trade:

Dolphins receive:
•86th pick (2016)

Vikings receive:
•186th pick (2016)
•86th pick (2017)
•128th pick (2017)

By the end of 2017, the trade was worth this via additional trades:

Dolphins receive:
•86th pick (2016)

Vikings receive:
•196th pick (2016)
•227th pick (2016)
•109th pick (2017)
•128th pick (2017)
•170th pick (2017)
•180th pick (2017)
•219th pick (2017)
•230th pick (2017)
•245th pick (2017)

Players drafted with picks

2016:
•DE Stephen Weatherly

2017:
•DT Jaleel Johnson
•WR Rodney Adams
•OL Danny Isidora
•WR Stacy Coley
•DB Jack Tocho

Players acquired using picks (in trades):

2016:
•TE David Morgan

2017:
•RB Dalvin Cook
•DE Ifeadi Odenigbo

Pretty impressive.

https://thevikingage.com/2017/05/27/revisiting-vikings-2016-draft-day-trade-with-dolphins/



That is impressive. I can see at least 4 of those picks having an impact on the team in the next year or two.

Author:  808vikingsfan [ Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

Nice pre draft scouting report of Dalvin Cook




Author:  allday1991 [ Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

808vikingsfan wrote:
Nice pre draft scouting report of Dalvin Cook






Not great at short yardage. Same with Murray whos biggest knock is not playing to his size, and McKinnon was never a power runner either. With all the being said, do you think it would be a smart move to pick up a very non-expensive short yardage back and get rid of McKinnon?

Author:  808vikingsfan [ Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

allday1991 wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:
Nice pre draft scouting report of Dalvin Cook






Not great at short yardage. Same with Murray whos biggest knock is not playing to his size, and McKinnon was never a power runner either. With all the being said, do you think it would be a smart move to pick up a very non-expensive short yardage back and get rid of McKinnon?



I thought Murray's strengths were pass blocking and short yardage?

Stats show Murray's dominance in short-yardage situations
Quote:
Latavius Murray @LataviusM on Short Yardage (1 or 2 yds to go)
43 rushes, 28 conversion (65%) for 164 yard (5.9 avg), 8 TDs
4:42 PM - 20 Feb 2017



The Most and Least Efficient Short-Yardage Running Backs of the 2015 NFL Season
Quote:
Latavius Murray proved to be rather adept at converting short yardage situations. The 6'3", 230-pound Raider rushed for 23 first downs from two yards out or less bulldozing ahead to move the chains.

Author:  Cliff [ Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

Seems like they're going for an upgraded version of McKinnon/Asiata.

Author:  CbusVikesFan [ Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

If Cook and Murray can pass block 50% better than AP we will be a better team. That shouldn't take much.

Author:  Cliff [ Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

CbusVikesFan wrote:
If Cook and Murray can pass block 50% better than AP we will be a better team. That shouldn't take much.


Don't look for Cook to be any better than Peterson blocking. Possibly worse. He's a much bigger receiving threat and it's much more likely that's what you'll see him doing in the passing game rather than blocking.

Author:  Nunin [ Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

From the look of things, he has the potential to be a Marshal Faulk type player...which would be outstanding.

Author:  Pondering Her Percy [ Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

Cliff wrote:
Seems like they're going for an upgraded version of McKinnon/Asiata.


Is there such thing as a "downgraded" version of Asiata/McKinnon?? :lol: :lol:

Author:  PurpleMustReign [ Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Cliff wrote:
Seems like they're going for an upgraded version of McKinnon/Asiata.


Is there such thing as a "downgraded" version of Asiata/McKinnon?? [emoji38] [emoji38]

Mariah Carey and Stephen Hawking?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/