View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
 2017 draft thread 
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post Re: 2017 draft thread
halfgiz wrote:
There currently are roster spots open at OG, DT, TE, RB, WR, LB, and CB. Some positiions have more than 1 slot open. We have 8 picks to fill 7 position holes.

Well don't forget there are some good FA's out there that I would love to pick up. If we were to sign anyone, I want Robey-Coleman as a nickel back. QBs had like a 55% completion percentage throwing his way. Don't think that we are done in free agency. I would take a guy like Boldin too. I would like to sign Larry Donnell as a backup TE. Could draft a TE, it's a deep class.

Some positions I think we will definitely draft are RB, DT, RG and LB. I think we will draft Elijah Lee for sure if he's there. We've been all over him. That's an immediate fill at WLB. Zim will find a good DT. My number one choice overall right now is definitely Dan Feeney if he's there.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:03 pm
Hall of Famer

The team is really interested in Elijah Lee. I really hope we draft him after his Pro-Day workout. The dude ran a 4.61 and had a 6.98 second cone drill. That is very, very good for a LB.

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:37 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
The team is really interested in Elijah Lee. I really hope we draft him after his Pro-Day workout. The dude ran a 4.61 and had a 6.98 second cone drill. That is very, very good for a LB.

Yeah if you notice on that list I posted (it's probably not entirely accurate), some of the only guys they met with on more than 1 occasion are Dylan Bradley, Alvin Kamara and Elijah Lee

And dont be surprised if we try to replace Patterson with Kamara from an explosiveness standpoint

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:52 am
All Pro Elite Player

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
halfgiz wrote:
There currently are roster spots open at OG, DT, TE, RB, WR, LB, and CB. Some positiions have more than 1 slot open. We have 8 picks to fill 7 position holes.

Well don't forget there are some good FA's out there that I would love to pick up. If we were to sign anyone, I want Robey-Coleman as a nickel back. QBs had like a 55% completion percentage throwing his way. Don't think that we are done in free agency. I would take a guy like Boldin too. I would like to sign Larry Donnell as a backup TE. Could draft a TE, it's a deep class.

Some positions I think we will definitely draft are RB, DT, RG and LB. I think we will draft Elijah Lee for sure if he's there. We've been all over him. That's an immediate fill at WLB. Zim will find a good DT. My number one choice overall right now is definitely Dan Feeney if he's there.

ProFootballTalk
@ProFootballTalk
1h
Rams sign Nickell Robey-Coleman

Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:20 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:

Yeah if you notice on that list I posted (it's probably not entirely accurate), some of the only guys they met with on more than 1 occasion are Dylan Bradley, Alvin Kamara and Elijah Lee

And dont be surprised if we try to replace Patterson with Kamara from an explosiveness standpoint

I'm not a huge fan of Kamara based on what I've seen so far. He's fine enough in space but i don't see him as creative or quick/strong enough to operate effectively in tighter spaces.

Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:45 pm
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:
HardcoreVikesFan wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of Kamara based on what I've seen so far. He's fine enough in space but i don't see him as creative or quick/strong enough to operate effectively in tighter spaces.

I wouldn't be opposed to him. I have not seen him play many games, so it would be egregious of me to have a strong opinion on him one way or the other.

Unfortunately, the best HB in space (Christain McCaffrey) in this draft will be long gone before we even have a chance to pick.

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:14 pm
All Pro Elite Player

@ProFootballTalk
15h
Scouting Joe Mixon an extensive process, the count now up to 15 teams he'll visit before draft.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:36 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Guys at NFL.com have an interesting pre draft segment going called "Perfect Pairs". For us:
Quote:
Perfect draft pair: Florida S Marcus Maye (Round 2, pick 48); Pittsburgh G Dorian Johnson (Round 3, pick 79)

More at Link:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ta-vikings

Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:27 pm
Fenrir

If they go safety in round 2 I hope it's Melifonwu. He and Harrison would be downright scary.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:45 pm
Practice Squad

Here is our updated prospect rumors/visits:

Rodney Adams, WR, South Florida (PRI)
Tarell Basham, DE, Ohio (SR)
Dylan Bradley^, DE, Southern Mississippi (PRO, PRI)
Chunky Clements, DT/3-4DE, Illinois (EW)
Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell (WOR)
Pat Elflein, C, Ohio State (PRI)
Amba Etta-Tawo, WR, Syracuse (SR)
Jerod Evans, QB, Virginia Tech (COM)
Dan Feeney, G, Indiana (PRI)
Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State (WOR)
Worth Gregory, P, East Carolina (PRI)
Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo (PRI)
Rayshawn Jenkins, S, Miami (SR)
Jadar Johnson, S, Clemson (EW)
Jaleel Johnson, DT/3-4DE/NT, Iowa (SR)
Aaron Jones, RB, Texas-El Paso (COM)
Josh Jones, S, N.C. State (PRI)
Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami (COM)
Kyle Kalis, G, Michigan (EW)
Alvin Kamara^, RB, Tennessee (COM, PRI)
Forrest Lamp, G, Western Kentucky (COM)
Carl Lawson, DE/3-4OLB, Auburn (COM)
Elijah Lee^, OLB/ILB, Kansas State (PRI, WOR)
Marlon Mack, RB, South Florida (PRI)
Damien Mama, G, USC (COM)
Malik McDowell, DT/3-4DE, Michigan State (WOR)
Leon McQuay III, S, USC (PRI)
Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma (PRO)
Dare Ogunbowale, RB, Wisconsin (PRI)
James Onwualu, OLB, Notre Dame (EW)
Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma (COM)
Duke Riley, OLB/ILB, LSU (COM)
Curtis Samuel, WR, Ohio State (PRI)
Weston Steelhammer, SS, Air Force (EW)
Damarius Travis, SS, Minnesota (LOC)
Chad Williams, WR, Grambling (PRO)

KEY
SR - Senior Bowl meeting.
EW - East-West Shrine meeting.
COM - Combine meeting.
INT - Interested.
VINT - Very Interested.
PRO - Pro Day or campus meeting/workout.
LOC - Local visit. Prospect making a local visit.
PRI - Private visit. Prospect making an official 30 visit.
WOR - Private Workout. Members of an organization working out a player in private.
STM - Some Type of Meeting.
% - indicates more than one meeting at an event.
^ - has met with team at more than one event.
# - indicates meeting set up outside of the 2017 Senior Bowl or the 2017 East-West Shrine Game
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/prospectMeeti ... cufjjou.99

Really intrigued by some of the guys we're looking at. :smilevike:

This is awesome PHP. Thanks for posting!!! :thumbsup:

Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:25 pm
Commissioner

halfgiz wrote:

Picks don't fill holes. And they shouldn't be expected to. I think that's part of the struggle this team has had in the draft. Need position A, draft position A. It isn't likely any pick will work out. And if they do, it's even less likely they'll do so in the first couple of years.

If you go into the draft with a big need at QB, and force a pick at QB. Good luck. Same goes for any position. The draft is a long term investment. And should be looked at in that way.

When the coaching situation is always FUBAR it's even worse. You can't draft for Musgrave, have the players for Norv...and then for Shurmur.

This team needs a reset. It needs a proven GM with full control who can come in and get an entire coaching staff. Who is given a handful of years to stick with that coaching staff and work on getting the players for the systems. It's been a mess since Wilf bought the team. :wallbang:

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:21 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Demi wrote:
halfgiz wrote:

Picks don't fill holes. And they shouldn't be expected to. I think that's part of the struggle this team has had in the draft. Need position A, draft position A. It isn't likely any pick will work out. And if they do, it's even less likely they'll do so in the first couple of years.

If you go into the draft with a big need at QB, and force a pick at QB. Good luck. Same goes for any position. The draft is a long term investment. And should be looked at in that way.

When the coaching situation is always FUBAR it's even worse. You can't draft for Musgrave, have the players for Norv...and then for Shurmur.

This team needs a reset. It needs a proven GM with full control who can come in and get an entire coaching staff. Who is given a handful of years to stick with that coaching staff and work on getting the players for the systems. It's been a mess since Wilf bought the team. :wallbang:

Where do you just find a "proven GM"?? Look at the GMs hired in the last 5 years. I mean the 49ers just took John Lynch out of a broadcasting booth for gods sake. "Proven GM's" aren't just hanging out on the streets. The only one out there that I know of is Polian and I doubt he leaves his job. Finding some proven GM is a pipe dream. I would say we have it better than A LOT of teams out there right now and have a guy thats willing to build through the draft and not free agency. If we fired Spielman, we'd be going in blind on some guy out of someone else's front office. Which could quickly lead to disaster. I'd be careful what you wish for.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:41 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Dakotavike wrote:
This is awesome PHP. Thanks for posting!!! :thumbsup:

No problem Dakota! I'll continue to post the updated list as the draft approaches

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:43 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Demi wrote:
halfgiz wrote:

I don't think they've been doing that at least since Zimmer got here. Maybe even post Childress.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:23 pm
Fenrir

Demi wrote:
It needs a proven GM with full control who can come in and get an entire coaching staff. Who is given a handful of years to stick with that coaching staff and work on getting the players for the systems. It's been a mess since Wilf bought the team. :wallbang:

To me it feels like the Vikings finally have this, which is what I mentioned in the other thread. Zimmer is a first time HC so mistakes are bound to be made and he has made them. But I think he's learning and if they stick with him, he could be a very good HC.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:48 pm
All Pro Elite Player

The draft team needs to knock it out of the park this year to have any credibility. Time to quit screwing around Beavis!

Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter

Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:06 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

S197 wrote:
Demi wrote:
It needs a proven GM with full control who can come in and get an entire coaching staff. Who is given a handful of years to stick with that coaching staff and work on getting the players for the systems. It's been a mess since Wilf bought the team. :wallbang:

To me it feels like the Vikings finally have this, which is what I mentioned in the other thread. Zimmer is a first time HC so mistakes are bound to be made and he has made them. But I think he's learning and if they stick with him, he could be a very good HC.

Agreed. I'm a huge Zimmer supporter and always will be. They need to let him learn the ropes. It would be stupid to fire him IMO

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:05 pm
Practice Squad

I agree on Zimmer. I really like him and think he has a chance to be great. But I'm really torn on Slick Rick right now. Like most GM's he's had some good and some bad but for some reason I feel like this could be a big draft for his future with the organization. Personally I think he needs to focus on being smart (albeit boring and conservative) this year and maybe not go too bold.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:41 pm
Defensive Tackle

S197 wrote:
Demi wrote:

Agreed. I'm a huge Zimmer supporter and always will be. They need to let him learn the ropes. It would be stupid to fire him IMO

He's entering his fourth season. "The ropes" should be sufficiently learned at this point.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:47 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Dakotavike wrote:
I agree on Zimmer. I really like him and think he has a chance to be great. But I'm really torn on Slick Rick right now. Like most GM's he's had some good and some bad but for some reason I feel like this could be a big draft for his future with the organization. Personally I think he needs to focus on being smart (albeit boring and conservative) this year and maybe not go too bold.

Best case Scenario is that we see the emergence of a couple contributors from last years class. Alexander fills the slot role well, Treadwell, Morgan effectively fill a roll at WR 1-3, and TE 2 respectively. Really pushing my luck, but maybe Jayron Kearse plays well enough to at least push Sendejo?

If they get a couple guys who can play immediately this year and add some contributions from last years class, the roster is going to be pretty stacked.

Spielman is getting blamed for everything around here, but his mistakes don't overshadow what he has done well. I think he's been just about average in terrible circumstances. He's had two bad coaching regimes, he's trying to draw players to an undesirable location, and he began before all that with a dreadful mess of a roster/organization left over by McCombs. Imagine trying to rebuild that team with a goof like Childress sticking his oar in on everything. Good grief.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:58 pm
Fenrir

fiestavike wrote:
Dakotavike wrote:

Best case Scenario is that we see the emergence of a couple contributors from last years class. Alexander fills the slot role well, Treadwell, Morgan effectively fill a roll at WR 1-3, and TE 2 respectively. Really pushing my luck, but maybe Jayron Kearse plays well enough to at least push Sendejo?

If they get a couple guys who can play immediately this year and add some contributions from last years class, the roster is going to be pretty stacked.

Spielman is getting blamed for everything around here, but his mistakes don't overshadow what he has done well. I think he's been just about average in terrible circumstances. He's had two bad coaching regimes, he's trying to draw players to an undesirable location, and he began before all that with a dreadful mess of a roster/organization left over by McCombs. Imagine trying to rebuild that team with a goof like Childress sticking his oar in on everything. Good grief.

Well said.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:35 pm
Defensive Tackle

fiestavike wrote:

Spielman's mistakes don't overshadow what he's done well (and I think virtually everybody here acknowledges that he's done some things well) but your comments above seem to miss the fundamental complaint about Spielman, which is that he has contributed in a significant way to creating those "terrible circumstances". Leslie Frazier, in particular, was asked to coach in poor circumstances and then was undermined by his own GM. The majority of the fan base certainly weren't as forgiving about him learning the ropes, making mistakes as a first time head coach, etc., all sentiments we're seeing about Zimmer as he heads into his fourth season, which is one more than his predecessor ever got, despite a similarly successful second season.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:57 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Spielman, above or below the "mendoza" line? Top 10 or better GM? And if you could put a grade on his tenure, what would it be?

Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:49 pm
Defensive Tackle

CbusVikesFan wrote:
Spielman, above or below the "mendoza" line? Top 10 or better GM? And if you could put a grade on his tenure, what would it be?

I don't think he's a top 10 GM. I don't know if he'd be above or below a Mendoza line for GMs but he'd probably be flirting with it. :)

I'd give his tenure as GM a C.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:15 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote:
CbusVikesFan wrote:

I don't think he's a top 10 GM. I don't know if he'd be above or below a Mendoza line for GMs but he'd probably be flirting with it. :)

I'd give his tenure as GM a C.

I'd agree with a C but if he has another draft this year like last year, it will go to a D.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Inductee

Mothman wrote:

He's entering his fourth season. "The ropes" should be sufficiently learned at this point.

We'll see

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:48 pm
Hall of Famer

I have a feeling we will go Defense with our first 2 pick. Even though its obvious once again, at least to me, our Oline and RB's need the most work. I wouldnt be surprised if we went safety with one of the picks, and DT/DE with the other. It's just a gut feeling, but I am going to scream if we dont address and gain depth on the offensive side of the ball with our good picks.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:42 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
I have a feeling we will go Defense with our first 2 pick. Even though its obvious once again, at least to me, our Oline and RB's need the most work. I wouldnt be surprised if we went safety with one of the picks, and DT/DE with the other. It's just a gut feeling, but I am going to scream if we dont address and gain depth on the offensive side of the ball with our good picks.

That would be ideal to me.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:51 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

I don't see the first two picks being D. I think at least one is offense. Either RB or OL. Call me crazy but it's starting to look like Forrest Lamp could fall to where he is in reaching distance for us. I never thought that would be possible but don't be surprised if you see us trade into the back end of the first to get him. He's an immediate plug and play at RG and can play tackle.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:12 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

I don't see the first two picks being D. I think at least one is offense. Either RB or OL. Call me crazy but it's starting to look like Forrest Lamp could fall to where he is in reaching distance for us. I never thought that would be possible but don't be surprised if you see us trade into the back end of the first to get him. He's an immediate plug and play at RG and can play tackle.

I'd be okay with that. I think I'd rather trade back and add another 3rd or 4th with all the talent in the first 3-4 rounds. Lamp seems like a great player though, so I wouldn't be upset if they move to get him.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next