View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 2017 draft thread 
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post Re: 2017 draft thread
Recent history suggests that rookie college OL will most likely not crack the starting line up in their first season. That doesn't means we shouldn't draft them, but I wouldn't expect contributions in 2017 beyond back up snaps.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:51 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

jackal wrote:
Quote:
I like it but no way "I love Lamp" makes it to the middle of round 2. I would sub that spot out for Dan Feeney

I don't think any quality LT makes it out of the first round either.. too many teams need them in the NFL

I would either go OG or DT most likely if a guy like lamb didn't drop. the other thing to remember is we have

two third round picks and two fourth round picks. I wouldn't be surprised to see us jump back into the first

round or early second if Spielman and comapny want someone bad enough.

Yeah I've thought about that too. I can see a trade up happening.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:06 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

mansquatch wrote:
Recent history suggests that rookie college OL will most likely not crack the starting line up in their first season. That doesn't means we shouldn't draft them, but I wouldn't expect contributions in 2017 beyond back up snaps.

I think a guy like Dan Feeney can definitely start day 1 at RG. Didn't give up a sack in two years and was an all American.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:07 am
Transition Player

Why does the draft seem to still be sooooo far away ?
To me, OG Dan Feeney would be a great pick in rd 2. I would also like a disruptive DT, but they are going early and often.
Pocic and Eflein are 2 intriguing players as they project as C/G
Orlosky is a fairly high rated C also.
To me, the OT class is deep but not spectacular. However, a lot can be said for quality backups.
Clemmings is still a project where these guys are good but not a lot of great OT.
I am curious as to what the Vikings plans are for Sirles, Shepard, Hill, and Beavers.
To me Sirles and Hill could be serviceable backup T. Beavers and Shepard as backup G.
All are young and could provide good depth and maybe develop ??

Question... Would you trade into rd 1 for a Christian McCaffrey ? Wait for Mixon? Or take a good but not spectacular RB in our draft slots???

Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:42 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

IIsweet wrote:
To me, OG Dan Feeney would be a great pick in rd 2. I would also like a disruptive DT, but they are going early and often.
To me, the OT class is deep but not spectacular. However, a lot can be said for quality backups.
Clemmings is still a project where these guys are good but not a lot of great OT.
I am curious as to what the Vikings plans are for Sirles, Shepard, Hill, and Beavers.
To me Sirles and Hill could be serviceable backup T. Beavers and Shepard as backup G.

Question... Would you trade into rd 1 for a Christian McCaffrey ? Wait for Mixon? Or take a good but not spectacular RB in our draft slots???

Definitely not McCaffery. All I see there is another Danny Woodhead. Not a workhorse. I want a workhorse.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:43 am
Backup

PurpleMustReign wrote:
PHP would you rather have Perine or Mixon? My biggest concern with Perine is he has missed a couple of games with injury but I like him better than Mixon because of his size.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Mixon 6'1" 226 4.4
Perine 5'11" 233 4.6

Ask any OU fan (me), and they would take Mixon over Perine all day long. There's no comparison in receiving ability. And Mixon is huge for speed and running prowess. Love Samaje, but he has had chronic ankle issues throughout his college career. Mixon has always been dependable. It's a shame he shared time with Samaje, because he would have had knockout stats otherwise. Regardless, he has NFL first round ability as far as production is concerned.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:08 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

5thWave wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
PHP would you rather have Perine or Mixon? My biggest concern with Perine is he has missed a couple of games with injury but I like him better than Mixon because of his size.

Mixon 6'1" 226 4.4
Perine 5'11" 233 4.6

Ask any OU fan (me), and they would take Mixon over Perine all day long. There's no comparison in receiving ability. And Mixon is huge for speed and running prowess. Love Samaje, but he has had chronic ankle issues throughout his college career. Mixon has always been dependable. It's a shame he shared time with Samaje, because he would have had knockout stats otherwise. Regardless, he has NFL first round ability as far as production is concerned.

Yeah like I said above, I would take Mixon from a football player/game breaker standpoint. But I would take Perine from a character/grinder/trustworthy standpoint.

If Mixon didnt have his past issues and was a similar kid to Perine, I would take Mixon all day long. Something about Perine though that I just cant get past. I just love the guy. Reminds me of a MJD or Michael Turner. Just a guy that would beat the crap out of opposing defenses all day

Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:37 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

The current CBS Mock draft only has three Offensive Linemen going in the first round for what its worth.
Forrest Lamp
Cam Robinson
Ryan Ramczyk

Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:51 pm
Fenrir

PurpleMustReign wrote:
This may have been covered and I missed it but what sites do you all use?

There's a thread in the Draft section.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:55 pm
Hall of Famer

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
IIsweet wrote:

Definitely not McCaffery. All I see there is another Danny Woodhead. Not a workhorse. I want a workhorse.

Disagree emphatically. McCaffery is the most dynamic offensive player in this draft. McCaffery will be much better than Woodhead. He can shoulder a majority of the load. He runs amazing routes. He is a force in the return game as well.

I wish we were in a position to be able to draft McCaffery.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:42 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

5thWave wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:

Mixon 6'1" 226 4.4
Perine 5'11" 233 4.6

I'm a big OU fan too, but I didn't get to see many games this past season so I didn't know as much about Mixon as I did about Perine. They are both good at catching the ball too, right?

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Inductee

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:

Disagree emphatically. McCaffery is the most dynamic offensive player in this draft. McCaffery will be much better than Woodhead. He can shoulder a majority of the load. He runs amazing routes. He is a force in the return game as well.

I wish we were in a position to be able to draft McCaffery.

Yeah I mean I could be wrong. Would I be upset if we drafted McCaffery? No. But I'm also at that "I'll believe it when I see it in the NFL" point with him. I think Mixon is the most dynamic of anyone and has the size to go along with it. But McCaffery would be 2nd

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:15 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

PurpleMustReign wrote:
5thWave wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:

Mixon 6'1" 226 4.4
Perine 5'11" 233 4.6

I'm a big OU fan too, but I didn't get to see many games this past season so I didn't know as much about Mixon as I did about Perine. They are both good at catching the ball too, right?

Perine didnt catch many balls at OU. But from what I've seen, he definitely has decent hands. It's just they didnt use him much in that aspect. Mixon's hands were that of an NFL WRs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1PkiOroeZE

There is a video of Mixon. Watch the whole thing if you have the time. His hands are some of the best I've ever seen in a RB. No less his explosiveness is off the charts

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:19 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

I also didnt realize that Mike Zimmer was the only NFL coach at OU pro day. Spielman and Polomalu (RB coach) was also there. Shows they think highly of both those RBs. Love seeing that because they are my two favorite backs in this draft. Along with Kareem Hunt who was recently invited to our top 30 event

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:35 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Is it weird that I'm really excited about having Polomalu's dad on the staff? Troy is easily my favorite non-viking player ever. I hope he will come speak to this team. He is a smart and serious man of faith.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:45 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote:
Is it weird that I'm really excited about having Polomalu's dad on the staff? Troy is easily my favorite non-viking player ever. I hope he will come speak to this team. He is a smart and serious man of faith.

It's actually Troy's uncle

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:34 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
fiestavike wrote:

It's actually Troy's uncle

Right! thanks for the clarification. :)

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:48 am
All Pro Elite Player

@DWolfsonKSTP
2h
Former Indiana two-time All-American guard Dan Feeney was in town yesterday to visit w/ the #Vikings, I hear. He's a STUD.

Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:48 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

fiestavike wrote:

Not unless you are hoping he has hair like Troy, in which case, yeah, that'd be weird... :lol:

Back to the draft: I just can't seem to get excited about it this year. Not sure if it's the lack of a first round pick or the way we finished our season... my Viking ship has sails that are barely fluttering in the wind.

I guess I'm hoping that the Ricker just doesn't do anything flashy like make a big trade to move up for someone in the first. I'd like to see something that shows maturation on his part: for example, make prudent picks at positions of need (OL, especially).

Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:07 pm
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
fiestavike wrote:

Not unless you are hoping he has hair like Troy, in which case, yeah, that'd be weird... :lol:

Back to the draft: I just can't seem to get excited about it this year. Not sure if it's the lack of a first round pick or the way we finished our season... my Viking ship has sails that are barely fluttering in the wind.

I'm feeling the same way.

Quote:
I guess I'm hoping that the Ricker just doesn't do anything flashy like make a big trade to move up for someone in the first. I'd like to see something that shows maturation on his part: for example, make prudent picks at positions of need (OL, especially).

Dreamer. ;)

Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:45 pm
Fenrir

I think there's a chance they trade back into the 2nd round. If you look historically, the Vikings have had very few 3rd round picks, it seems to be the pick Rick likes to trade the most.

Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:31 pm
Defensive Tackle

Interesting...

Vikings' receiver picture still in flux a year after drafting Laquon Treadwell

Quote:
The Vikings have written a receiver’s name down on a selection card in nine drafts during the last decade.
And it’s looking like a safe bet they’ll stretch that to 10 of the last 11 drafts later this month.

A year after taking Laquon Treadwell with the 23rd-overall pick, the Vikings’ receiver picture remains in flux and likely incomplete after his disappointing rookie season and the departures of both Cordarrelle Patterson and Charles Johnson in free agency.

There's more at the link.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:27 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
Interesting...

Vikings' receiver picture still in flux a year after drafting Laquon Treadwell

Quote:
The Vikings have written a receiver’s name down on a selection card in nine drafts during the last decade.
And it’s looking like a safe bet they’ll stretch that to 10 of the last 11 drafts later this month.

A year after taking Laquon Treadwell with the 23rd-overall pick, the Vikings’ receiver picture remains in flux and likely incomplete after his disappointing rookie season and the departures of both Cordarrelle Patterson and Charles Johnson in free agency.

There's more at the link.

I'm fine with that, as long as it is of the Stephon Diggs in the 5th variety and not an all in move for CP in the first.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:03 am
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
I'm fine with that, as long as it is of the Stephon Diggs in the 5th variety and not an all in move for CP in the first.

On that note...

Kiper, McShay Mocks Have Vikings Going Different Directions

Quote:
We’ll start with Kiper, who actually has the Vikings addressing the wide receiver position in Round 2 with the selection of JuJu Smith-Schuster out of the University of Southern California.

Quote:
McShay, on the other hand, has the Vikings selecting Florida defensive tackle Caleb Brantley at #48.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:16 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

On that note...

Quote:
We’ll start with Kiper, who actually has the Vikings addressing the wide receiver position in Round 2 with the selection of JuJu Smith-Schuster out of the University of Southern California.

Quote:
McShay, on the other hand, has the Vikings selecting Florida defensive tackle Caleb Brantley at #48.

I like the Brantley pick. All the mocks tools have quality interior OL available in the 3rd and 4th rounds so I'm good with waiting after 48 to address that position. I'm not sure where the Vikings should adddress the WR position. I wish they had one more quality depth player there in case Treadwell doesn't emerge. There will be depth at S, CB, RB, TE, OG, and I'd hate to see them not address those positions this year.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:51 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

fiestavike wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

On that note...

Quote:

Quote:

I like the Brantley pick. All the mocks tools have quality interior OL available in the 3rd and 4th rounds so I'm good with waiting after 48 to address that position. I'm not sure where the Vikings should adddress the WR position. I wish they had one more quality depth player there in case Treadwell doesn't emerge. There will be depth at S, CB, RB, TE, OG, and I'd hate to see them not address those positions this year.

If they hadn't drafted the German Unicorn last year they might have a decent, young prospect from the middle/late rounds (a la Diggs).

Kiper: I can't look at the guy without laughing at his ridiculousness. The guy seems like a caricature. What would the NFL Draft be without that guy and his spazzy tendencies and horrible prognostications? His pick for us would not make me happy.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:00 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

On that note...

Quote:

Quote:

I thought that was why we signed Datone Jones to replace Floyd.
I would sooner draft OL in the early rounds. If we don't it will be a DT in the 2nd and a safety in the 3rd.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:01 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Texas Vike wrote:

If they hadn't drafted the German Unicorn last year they might have a decent, young prospect from the middle/late rounds (a la Diggs).

They might. Of course, they could have that in the GERMAN UNICORN himself! Go Moritz!!!

Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:07 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Here is our updated prospect rumors/visits:

Rodney Adams, WR, South Florida (PRI)
Tarell Basham, DE, Ohio (SR)
Dylan Bradley^, DE, Southern Mississippi (PRO, PRI)
Chunky Clements, DT/3-4DE, Illinois (EW)
Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell (WOR)
Pat Elflein, C, Ohio State (PRI)
Amba Etta-Tawo, WR, Syracuse (SR)
Jerod Evans, QB, Virginia Tech (COM)
Dan Feeney, G, Indiana (PRI)
Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State (WOR)
Worth Gregory, P, East Carolina (PRI)
Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo (PRI)
Rayshawn Jenkins, S, Miami (SR)
Jadar Johnson, S, Clemson (EW)
Jaleel Johnson, DT/3-4DE/NT, Iowa (SR)
Aaron Jones, RB, Texas-El Paso (COM)
Josh Jones, S, N.C. State (PRI)
Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami (COM)
Kyle Kalis, G, Michigan (EW)
Alvin Kamara^, RB, Tennessee (COM, PRI)
Forrest Lamp, G, Western Kentucky (COM)
Carl Lawson, DE/3-4OLB, Auburn (COM)
Elijah Lee^, OLB/ILB, Kansas State (PRI, WOR)
Marlon Mack, RB, South Florida (PRI)
Damien Mama, G, USC (COM)
Malik McDowell, DT/3-4DE, Michigan State (WOR)
Leon McQuay III, S, USC (PRI)
Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma (PRO)
Dare Ogunbowale, RB, Wisconsin (PRI)
James Onwualu, OLB, Notre Dame (EW)
Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma (COM)
Duke Riley, OLB/ILB, LSU (COM)
Curtis Samuel, WR, Ohio State (PRI)
Weston Steelhammer, SS, Air Force (EW)
Damarius Travis, SS, Minnesota (LOC)
Chad Williams, WR, Grambling (PRO)

KEY
SR - Senior Bowl meeting.
EW - East-West Shrine meeting.
COM - Combine meeting.
INT - Interested.
VINT - Very Interested.
PRO - Pro Day or campus meeting/workout.
LOC - Local visit. Prospect making a local visit.
PRI - Private visit. Prospect making an official 30 visit.
WOR - Private Workout. Members of an organization working out a player in private.
STM - Some Type of Meeting.
% - indicates more than one meeting at an event.
^ - has met with team at more than one event.
# - indicates meeting set up outside of the 2017 Senior Bowl or the 2017 East-West Shrine Game
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/prospectMeeti ... cufjjou.99

Really intrigued by some of the guys we're looking at. :smilevike:

Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:06 pm
All Pro Elite Player

There currently are roster spots open at OG, DT, TE, RB, WR, LB, and CB. Some positiions have more than 1 slot open. We have 8 picks to fill 7 position holes.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next