2017 draft thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: 2017 draft thread

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Note the word accused. Innocent until proven guilty.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

halfgiz wrote:ProFootballTalk
@ProFootballTalk
13h
Florida draft prospect Caleb Brantley arrested for misdemeanor battery, accused of punching a woman .

Wow is that stupid...4-5 days before the draft .
It happened a week or two ago I think. Whatever 'it' was. There is really no information on which to form an opinion.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Rhodes Closed wrote:Note the word accused. Innocent until proven guilty.
He's been charged now though. At least enough evidence to charge him.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

720pete wrote: He's been charged now though. At least enough evidence to charge him.
meh. he's a scalp. I'd have to know more to form any opinion at all.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Caleb Brantley – DL – Gators
According to a police report obtained by Florida Times-Union correspondent Patrick Pinak, Florida DT Caleb Brantley faces a misdemeanor battery charge for allegedly punching a woman in the face and knocking her unconscious.
The incident is believed to have occurred on April 13. Per the report, the victim pushed Brantley after he made “crude comments.” Brantley allegedly responded by punching the woman in the face with a closed fist, knocking her unconscious and dislodging a tooth. The police report considered that action retaliation, not self-defense. Previously considered a Round 3 pick — with a ceiling of Round 2 — Brantley’s stock will freefall if this report proves to be true. “Great chance he goes undrafted with this charge coming so close to the draft,” Bleacher Report‘s Matt Miller tweeted. “Teams will be scrambling for info.”

Source: Patrick Pinak on T
Dakotavike
Starter

Post by Dakotavike »

I've seen a few mocks that had the VIkes selecting him. At least we got to see this dirtbag's true colors before the draft. (Assuming it's all true of course)
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Very interesting to read through his list, especially because it is so different from the mocks I've seen. I understand that these are his top 100 players, which only considers talent (not the needs of the teams picking), or the supply-demand economy of certain positions, etc. Really interesting to see Trubisky at 30! Also interesting to see Lamp at 18 and Ramczyk at 21. I also found it surprising that he has RBs in an order that is very distinct from others: e.g. Kamara @ 27, ahead of Dalvin Cook (@ 29).

Mayock's evaluations are also interesting because they seem to be very different from other pundits' takes. For example, Mayock has DT Alabama Dalvin Tomlinson as his 47th player, while NFL.com lists him as a 3rd or 4th round pick:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2557846

I like the kid's bio, I have to say, and I can imagine Zimmer wanting a guy like this.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

So it seems that draft fever hit me late this year, but I woke up with a solid case of it this morning.

Looking at the list of prospects that we are known to have interviewed (which can be found here: http://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/byteam), I'm a little concerned about which Guards are on the Vikings' radar. It seems that they have some that they would consider @ 48 (Feeny, Elfein, or Lamp), and a bunch of guys that they'd better not take until rounds 5-7.

The other story line that stands out to me is RB. I think Perine would be a great fit for us, but he seems to be projected right between our picks (48 and 79) pretty consistently, so it doesn't seem likely. I could see them going for Kareem Hunt, Marlon Mack or Brian Hill in the middle rounds, but those guys seem a bit less exciting to me. Could be my lack of knowledge of their skills and history though.

PHP, where in the world is your updated mock? :D You and I don't always agree on every point, but I do enjoy your takes and especially your mocks.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I wonder if they'll go DB or try to trade up to get one of the elite safeties. This year has an exceptional DB class. I know it isn't a position of need, but it can be a good idea to take the talent that is there, especially in a draft that overall feels fairly shallow.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Texas Vike wrote:
Very interesting to read through his list, especially because it is so different from the mocks I've seen. I understand that these are his top 100 players, which only considers talent (not the needs of the teams picking), or the supply-demand economy of certain positions, etc. Really interesting to see Trubisky at 30! Also interesting to see Lamp at 18 and Ramczyk at 21. I also found it surprising that he has RBs in an order that is very distinct from others: e.g. Kamara @ 27, ahead of Dalvin Cook (@ 29).

Mayock's evaluations are also interesting because they seem to be very different from other pundits' takes. For example, Mayock has DT Alabama Dalvin Tomlinson as his 47th player, while NFL.com lists him as a 3rd or 4th round pick:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2557846

I like the kid's bio, I have to say, and I can imagine Zimmer wanting a guy like this.
Tomlinson is interesting. I've seen him viewed more at a nose tackle by some, and possibly a 3-tech by others. I think he could be a 2 down 3 tech for us, and he and Linval could make for a Williams Wall redux. Both could also probably get enough push to be real factors in the pass game. I wouldn't mind at all taking him at 48. Probably would have a greater impact on W/L than any other pick except maybe and offensive player who can create huge mismatches, like an OJ Howard, but mostly those guys won't be on the board when the Vikings pick.

There are a ton of good RBs so I think it'd be a shame to take one at 48.

I agree with your take about the Guards. There doesn't seem to be much to seperate the guys who will be available at 48 from the guys who will be available at 120. If someone they think could be a Tackle is there at 48 its easier to justify making that pick.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

mansquatch wrote:I wonder if they'll go DB or try to trade up to get one of the elite safeties. This year has an exceptional DB class. I know it isn't a position of need, but it can be a good idea to take the talent that is there, especially in a draft that overall feels fairly shallow.
Hooker,
Adams,
Melifonwu,
Peppers,
Baker,
Marcus Maye,
Marcus Williams....

There are a lot of good safeties this year. I don't think they'll need to trade up to get a guy who would be a huge upgrade.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

OT and LB and QB seem especially weak this year. 48 will probably be the only chance to add and OT or a LB of significant impact (if they are lucky).
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

fiestavike wrote: Tomlinson is interesting. I've seen him viewed more at a nose tackle by some, and possibly a 3-tech by others. I think he could be a 2 down 3 tech for us, and he and Linval could make for a Williams Wall redux. Both could also probably get enough push to be real factors in the pass game. I wouldn't mind at all taking him at 48. Probably would have a greater impact on W/L than any other pick except maybe and offensive player who can create huge mismatches, like an OJ Howard, but mostly those guys won't be on the board when the Vikings pick.

There are a ton of good RBs so I think it'd be a shame to take one at 48.

I agree with your take about the Guards. There doesn't seem to be much to seperate the guys who will be available at 48 from the guys who will be available at 120. If someone they think could be a Tackle is there at 48 its easier to justify making that pick.
I don't consider myself well informed enough to really have a "take" on the guards, concerning their talent, honestly. My observation was simply that I see the Vikings have had visits with/ shown interest in guys that are considered worthy of #48 and then guys that probably are NOT worthy of any of our picks until rounds 5 or later. I find it odd that there aren't options that might go in the 3rd or 4th round, especially since we have two picks in each.

I want them to spend draft capital on OL, though, so I am hoping that pick 48 goes towards a G or C.

Do you not think there's much of a talent gap between Feeny/Eilfein and some of the other guys whose tires we've been kicking? (i.e. guys projected for rounds 5-7).
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Eh, I did a mock today if anyone wants to take a look.

http://walterfootball.com/mocks/publishedmock/61918

Should be an interesting first round tonight - I am watching even though Minnesota is gonna be out of it.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.