2017 draft thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2017 draft thread

Post by Texas Vike »

Well, we OWN the 7th round.... so there's that. :lol:
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Mothman wrote:
It sure looks like he enjoys it too much and I'm beginning to wonder if other GMs see him as an "easy mark", a GM who will rarely say no if they want to move up to the Vikings spot.
Somebody wake me up when Rick has a complete draft. He started out so good and then started hitting the pipe.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Bucky is 6'7 and can jump with body control ....

I hope we use him the right way
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:I don't know. He said they made/received 20-30 calls yesterday. Obviously didn't take a lot from those. And if you look at the trade chart he usually gets really good return so I think he knows how to pass on weak deals. It'd be fun to see over the years his success rate vs. staying put.
I didn't literally mean he takes every offer he gets.

I don't think he typically gets a particularly good return, trade chart or not. Frankly, I'd like to see that chart tossed out the window. I think it's helped create a perception of the draft that's overly abstract.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: Mayock said GMs have their "fingerprints" where some guys never move while others bounce around. So he's probably known as a guy to call if you want to move, keep in mind he also moved up, twice, so he's playing the phones too.

The Patriots are notorious for compiling picks, I don't think it's a bad strategy to emulate.
The graphic NFL network put up of the Patriots offense in the superbowl with a bunch of 4th-7th rounders and undrafted players tells the tale. I think they had 1 first rounder on the field. NE is all about specialization, which is where the Vikings need to go too at this point.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote: Mayock said GMs have their "fingerprints" where some guys never move while others bounce around. So he's probably known as a guy to call if you want to move, keep in mind he also moved up, twice, so he's playing the phones too.

The Patriots are notorious for compiling picks, I don't think it's a bad strategy to emulate.
It never is with Rick Spielman... the man is triple-coated in the finest teflon.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

jackal wrote:Bucky is 6'7 and can jump with body control ....

I hope we use him the right way
Red Zone threat. Put an unbalanced formation on the field, Hodges on the weak side. Always have an easy audible to a fade toward Hodges if you like the matchup. Let Bradford make these decisions before the snap. Make the game easy on him.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I really don't understand trading back so much to get all these seventh round picks. It seems like this team doesn't need so many developmental players it needs quality players that will contribute.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Kaaya still available?
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
ocampo82
Backup

Post by ocampo82 »

808vikingsfan wrote:Kaaya still available?
yup
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Well, we OWN the 7th round.... so there's that. :lol:

:lol:
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pats amassed quality picks. Also they have really dial the back that strategy in recent years
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Norv Zimmer wrote:I really don't understand trading back so much to get all these seventh round picks. It seems like this team doesn't need so many developmental players it needs quality players that will contribute.
Some of it may also be cap management. Bradford, Rhodes, and Barr are going to need new contracts next year. Instead of bringing in one guy in the 3rd or 4th you bring in 3 or 4 bodies and hope one works out and at a significant savings.
ocampo82
Backup

Post by ocampo82 »

S197 wrote: Some of it may also be cap management. Bradford, Rhodes, and Barr are going to need new contracts next year. Instead of bringing in one guy in the 3rd or 4th you bring in 3 or 4 bodies and hope one works out and at a significant savings.

Barr needs to have a good season to justify a contract worth worrying about, but I agree with your point :thumbsup:
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

YikesVikes wrote:
Pats amassed quality picks. Also they have really dial the back that strategy in recent years
No, they amassed 4th to 7th rounders as fiesta pointed out. They dialed it back because they lost picks lately due to the Brady thing. They didn't have a pick until the 3rd round I think.