2017 draft thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: 2017 draft thread

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I have been thinking, what I would like to see if for the Vikings to package their 3rd and 4th round picks twice and trade them for 2nds. That way we would have 3 2nd rounders who can hopefully contribute right away. After the Beavers debacle not much faith in 4th rounders
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Norv Zimmer wrote:I have been thinking, what I would like to see if for the Vikings to package their 3rd and 4th round picks twice and trade them for 2nds. That way we would have 3 2nd rounders who can hopefully contribute right away. After the Beavers debacle not much faith in 4th rounders
I'd be ok if they did that once. Maybe go up and get Samaje Perine if he's available, or take Eiflein or Feeny if we go with another position at 48.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Texas Vike wrote:
Do you not think there's much of a talent gap between Feeny/Eilfein and some of the other guys whose tires we've been kicking? (i.e. guys projected for rounds 5-7).
With the guys who are actually on the list of visits, yes, I think there's a big drop. There are guys like Posic, Asiata, Siragusa, and Dawkins who I don't think are a huge drop off. I also think Elflein is a much better fit for the Vikings OL than Feeney, who is more of a zone only guy from what I've heard. He's not a 'mauler' he's a 'waller', so to speak. He's not a "denter" like Sparano was looking for last year. Add in the concussions and I don't think he's a fit at 48. There's really no reason they can't get a G/C or two in the 3rd/4th round. Guys who might play tackle like Dawkins and Moton would be easier to justify at 48.

Julie'n Davenport is an interesting Tackle project, but he'll probably go much earlier than projected because of his ceiling and position scarcity.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Norv Zimmer wrote:I have been thinking, what I would like to see if for the Vikings to package their 3rd and 4th round picks twice and trade them for 2nds. That way we would have 3 2nd rounders who can hopefully contribute right away. After the Beavers debacle not much faith in 4th rounders
There really are a lot of good players in the 3rd and 4th round. I'd rather see them trade back and add another 3rd or 4th than trade up to the 2nd.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

fiestavike wrote: With the guys who are actually on the list of visits, yes, I think there's a big drop. There are guys like Posic, Asiata, Siragusa, and Dawkins who I don't think are a huge drop off. I also think Elflein is a much better fit for the Vikings OL than Feeney, who is more of a zone only guy from what I've heard. He's not a 'mauler' he's a 'waller', so to speak. He's not a "denter" like Sparano was looking for last year. Add in the concussions and I don't think he's a fit at 48. There's really no reason they can't get a G/C or two in the 3rd/4th round. Guys who might play tackle like Dawkins and Moton would be easier to justify at 48.

Julie'n Davenport is an interesting Tackle project, but he'll probably go much earlier than projected because of his ceiling and position scarcity.
Good stuff. :thumbsup:

Anyone have any stats on how often we have drafted players with whom we had zero pre draft contact?

I like Dawkins.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

From listening to Speilmans presser the other day I get the feeling we are going to take Mixon. Just a hunch i got from it.

This part.
I think when we get the red flags in the beginning of our process and depending on how talented they are -- whether it's fair or not, the less talented you are, the more red flags you are, the more likely you're going to get a red dot, because is your talent worth the headache? But the higher you're up on the draft board, you're going to really spend and do your diligence on those players, because if they are that high on your draft board, then you're saying those guys are potential difference-makers for your football team. They can help you win and lose games.

EVeryone is saying he is a top ten talent and I can't see them letting him slip by.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

This is an interesting mock, probably one of the best I've seen:

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/4/27/ ... ft-of-2017

I saw TE Sprinkle play this season. That dude's a beast, so I love that pick in the 5th. Actually, through and through this mock would please me if it were to come to fruition.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

fiestavike wrote:OT and LB and QB seem especially weak this year. 48 will probably be the only chance to add and OT or a LB of significant impact (if they are lucky).
Daniel Jeremiah's mock had us taking a LB in the 2nd. Very few mocks I've seen has us taking a lineman, the good ones are few and likely to be gone. His mock had us taking Perine but later, like 4th round I think. He mocked all the Vikings late picks to O-line, I think Elflein was one.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Texas Vike wrote:This is an interesting mock, probably one of the best I've seen:

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/4/27/ ... ft-of-2017

I saw TE Sprinkle play this season. That dude's a beast, so I love that pick in the 5th. Actually, through and through this mock would please me if it were to come to fruition.
That's pretty decent although I'm not sure about Mack. Hopefully Perine or Foreman are around. Would have been nice to come away with a QB too.

He's also right that it's a shame to walk away from a deep S class with none. Honestly, unless for some crazy reason a guy like Lamp or Bolles falls, I'd like to see Rick trade back out of the 2nd pick.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: That's pretty decent although I'm not sure about Mack. Hopefully Perine or Foreman are around. Would have been nice to come away with a QB too.

He's also right that it's a shame to walk away from a deep S class with none. Honestly, unless for some crazy reason a guy like Lamp or Bolles falls, I'd like to see Rick trade back out of the 2nd pick.
I'm with you. Trading back would be a good idea unless there is a guy they can't believe is still on the board.
Daniel Jeremiah's mock had us taking a LB in the 2nd. Very few mocks I've seen has us taking a lineman, the good ones are few and likely to be gone.
I tend to agree again. If they go OL I'm betting its Moton or Dawkins who plugs in at RG and and potentially is the RT of the future. Cunningham would be good relative value because there won't be any starting quality LBers anywhere else in this draft when the Vikings are on the clock.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Trubisky in NFCN now. SF got a king's ransom for that pick!
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Texas Vike wrote:Trubisky in NFCN now. SF got a king's ransom for that pick!
They sure did. I knew it was Trubisky as soon as the trade was announced.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Some teams will pay anything for the QB they think will work. The bears and KC proved that.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Some teams will pay anything for the QB they think will work. The bears and KC proved that.
Bears GM trying to not get fired gives up a lot for one spot. Lol. And now the Browns trade way down since their QB is gone.

No O-line taken yet, shows how crappy this draft class is.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Wow Watson too, now the Linemen will start dropping.