View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Toxic Leadership 
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post Re: Toxic Leadership
fiestavike wrote:
losperros wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
Spielman helped build a good team when Childress made the calls on who to bring in. I wonder if Childress would make a good GM?

I'm sure Childress thinks he would.

I really don't want any part of that egomaniac again. Too divisive and bull-headed.

Probably my lease favorite member of the Vikings organization ever, with the exception of Darren Sharper.

Agreed. I couldn't stand Chilly. I was a huge Sharper fan when he was here. I have his jersey and would never wear it again because of the hate I have for him when he went to the Saints and was involved in the bounty plus the fact that he raped more women than Bill Cosby

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:12 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

I didn't mean here necessarily, but he did judge talent for his scheme quite well.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

PurpleMustReign wrote:
I didn't mean here necessarily, but he did judge talent for his scheme quite well.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Other than Favre circa 2009, I wouldn't agree.

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:29 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Why do people continue to defend turner like he was some kind of savior that left mid season when the team had the best offense? You guys act like he didn't run the chargers into the ground, the browns after that and then the vikings. Dude left because he was gonna get fired for having damn near the worst offense in the last qtr century. It was downright abysmal. Given that, i find it hard to believe that he left due to something bad behind the scenes when zimmer was almost in tears the day after he left.

Turner is just bad, thats why he left instead of being fired

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:43 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Not only that, find me one past defensive player on any team zimmer has been on that has said anything actually bad about him or how he leads. Or how his practices are too much. Past players who have nothing to hold back. Because i havent seen a single one. Gimme a break. Ellison's dad is just salty for whatever reason. He went and chased a check because the vikings wouldnt pay him 8 mil a year like the giants. He is literally making 1 mil less a year than kelce and gronk. 2 more mil a year than rudolph. Lets be real here

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:47 pm
Rookie

Boon wrote:
Not only that, find me one past defensive player on any team zimmer has been on that has said anything actually bad about him or how he leads. Or how his practices are too much. Past players who have nothing to hold back. Because i havent seen a single one. Gimme a break. Ellison's dad is just salty for whatever reason. He went and chased a check because the vikings wouldnt pay him 8 mil a year like the giants. He is literally making 1 mil less a year than kelce and gronk. 2 more mil a year than rudolph. Lets be real here

Agreed. Zim's players love him. Also, what is it lately with grown men having their Daddies complain for them?

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:33 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

MountainGirl wrote:
Boon wrote:

Agreed. Zim's players love him. Also, what is it lately with grown men having their Daddies complain for them?

Pretty sure they're not putting them up to it lol.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:02 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

MountainGirl wrote:
Boon wrote:

:lol:

Helicopter parents.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:30 pm
Commissioner

Quote:

And because the front office didn't have the balls to fire him. instead they hire a bum whose only success came as Chip Kelly's lap dog. :wallbang:

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:44 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Demi wrote:
Quote:

And because the front office didn't have the balls to fire him. instead they hire a bum whose only success came as Chip Kelly's lap dog. :wallbang:

When would we have fired him? Because we lost two games in a row? Even the year before our offense wasn't great but we were still 11-5. We didn't necessarily need to fire him :confused:

Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:55 pm
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:
MountainGirl wrote:
That's what he said. He didn't like the direction they decided to go with the offense, so he quit.

That's not what he said. He said:

"It's something people may not understand. It's not me against somebody else. The situation was such ... I don't think I could get done the things we needed to get done. It wasn't something you just wake up and decide. It's been building. It wasn't going to work with me. So let me get out of the way and let them have a chance to make it work."

I think it's important to acknowledge his obvious effort to be diplomatic and to understand that leaving midseason was surprisingly out of character for Turner. He made a point of saying it was a "building" situation. I think the key to understanding what happened probably lies in that comment and in his remark that "I don't think I could get done the things we needed to get done". Why? That comment sure makes it sound like an untenable situation was allowed to develop within the organization and led to Turner stepping aside.

From the same article linked to above:

Quote:
Turner mentioned several times "where we are as a team" as a reason for why he stepped away.

That sure looks to me like a diplomatic way to say things were messed up within the organization.

Quote:
Not professional and not good for the team. Any losses after that are his fault IMO.

That's letting the people actually involved in those losses off the hook pretty easily. The players and coaches involved in the last 9 games had something to do with the outcomes.

How about we look at what he actually said and leave out what we think he must have meant?

He said, "It wasn't going to work WITH ME."

He also said, "Sometimes, you feel like you might be holding them back, holding them back from things all getting on the same page. I don't want anyone to think I was bailing. It just wasn't working."

Sorry Norv, but even though you said you don't want anyone to think you were bailing, YOU BAILED. You quit. Period. You freaking quit. I don't care what the situation is, you don't just quit. Unrest, schmunrest. You quit. Good luck getting hired again.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:47 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Demi wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't necessarily label Shurmur as a bum. I feel like he is/will be an upgrade over Turner but that remains to be seen as the sample size with the Vikings is too small to fairly compare.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:20 am
Commissioner

autobon7 wrote:
Demi wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't necessarily label Shurmur as a bum. I feel like he is/will be an upgrade over Turner but that remains to be seen as the sample size with the Vikings is too small to fairly compare.

Vikings sample size was too small. But before that, he had two solid seasons when Chip Kelly ran the offense. And a half dozen bottom of the leagues seasons when he ran the offense.

Last season when he took over? I saw what looked like a college offense...not an offense that could win in the NFL...

Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:44 pm
Hall of Famer

simply put, the game passed Norv by, as it has with many great coaches, It eventually passes every coach by. It will even pass Belicheck by too.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:32 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Zimmer tried to call Riki Ellison. Riki did not return his call. :lol:

via Zimmer on PA's show.

I love Zimmer.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:27 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote:
Zimmer tried to call Riki Ellison. Riki did not return his call. :lol:

via Zimmer on PA's show.

I love Zimmer.

:lol: Yeah I just read that last night. I would have loved to hear that conversation

Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:44 am
Hall of Famer

Maybe Riki did lose that number... :P

(Plagiarized joke, but I couldn't pass it up!)

Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:57 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Just Me wrote:

That's good.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:22 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Just Me wrote:

Didn't happen to see that on yesterdays Facebook KFAN thread on Mr. Riki?

'Cuz if you did...

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:36 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Demi wrote:
Quote:

When would we have fired him? Because we lost two games in a row? Even the year before our offense wasn't great but we were still 11-5. We didn't necessarily need to fire him :confused:

Striving for mediocrity will bite you

Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:19 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Boon wrote:

....because thats what I'm doing :confused:

Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:45 pm
Hall of Famer

PsyDanny wrote:
Just Me wrote:

'Cuz if you did...

Actually saw it here: http://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/3/21/15015804/mike-zimmer-responds-riki-ellisons-comments

(Hence, my disclaimer about the joke being "plagiarized" - Just thought it was funny)

Was it you that posted it originally?

Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:42 am
All Pro Elite Player

Just Me wrote:
PsyDanny wrote:
Just Me wrote:

'Cuz if you did...

Actually saw it here: http://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/3/21/15015804/mike-zimmer-responds-riki-ellisons-comments

(Hence, my disclaimer about the joke being "plagiarized" - Just thought it was funny)

Was it you that posted it originally?

I did not post to that page, but to a KFAN tread on Facebook.

While it is possible that someone saw my post then carried it on to that thread, it is just as likely that another Steely Dan fan had the same brilliant idea!

Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 am
Hall of Famer

That was funny! (Good job on coming up with that!)

Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:56 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Boon wrote:

....because thats what I'm doing :confused:

Not a personal attack by any means, but I get the feeling you just like arguing. Because saying they went 11-5 the year before, and still had the 29th ranked offense, then questioning why they would fire him after two losses, when the team was now ranked 32nd in offense at the time of his "leaving", is striving for mediocrity. Keeping him there after 27, 29, and 32nd (at the time) nfl offensive yardage rankings is striving for mediocrity. Keeping an offensive coordinator who has a bottom feeder offense despite having the third ranked yardage defense, 7th in turnovers, and 6th ranked scoring defense , is striving for mediocrity. why fire him? you ask that and then try to use sarcasm to deflect something you JUST STATED

Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:05 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

Boon wrote:

Not a personal attack by any means, but I get the feeling you just like arguing. Because saying they went 11-5 the year before, and still had the 29th ranked offense, then questioning why they would fire him after two losses, when the team was now ranked 32nd in offense at the time of his "leaving", is striving for mediocrity. Keeping him there after 27, 29, and 32nd (at the time) nfl offensive yardage rankings is striving for mediocrity. Keeping an offensive coordinator who has a bottom feeder offense despite having the third ranked yardage defense, 7th in turnovers, and 6th ranked scoring defense , is striving for mediocrity. why fire him? you ask that and then try to use sarcasm to deflect something you JUST STATED

No I don't like "just arguing". I don't come on here to argue. But when was the last time you saw a coach get fired shortly after starting a season 5-0?? I don't think that has ever happened to be honest. I never said the offense was doing good under him. But at the same time, you don't see a coach get fired when the team is doing well. And for our offense at that time, the running game was still terrible but the passing game was doing fairly well. When we were 5-0 Bradford was averaging 250 a game and had 6 TDs and 0 INTs in 4 games. Just because we have 2 bad games in a row offensively doesnt warrant any coach getting fired. Especially when you're 5-2. It just doesnt happen.

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:24 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Not necessarily true, AND the hot start we got out to was 90% due to a great defensive effort carrying an anemic offense. We won those 5 games despite the poor offense, not because of a good offense. Eventually, our defense fatigued out and couldnt cover up the atrocious excuse for an offense that we had and the tailspin began. Not all of this is due to the OC, heck, very little of it was. No OC could win with the sad excuse for a OL he was given, or the RB by committee of back-ups, etc.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:57 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

chicagopurple wrote:
Not necessarily true, AND the hot start we got out to was 90% due to a great defensive effort carrying an anemic offense. We won those 5 games despite the poor offense, not because of a good offense. Eventually, our defense fatigued out and couldnt cover up the atrocious excuse for an offense that we had and the tailspin began. Not all of this is due to the OC, heck, very little of it was. No OC could win with the sad excuse for a OL he was given, or the RB by committee of back-ups, etc.

Of course the D was playing great but the offense wasnt that bad at all during that stretch. Especially the passing game. Running game was bad. But to say the offense was anemic in the first five games I disagree with. I would say bad running game and solid pass game. That doesnt define anemic

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:37 am
All Pro Elite Player

Yes it does....because any quality team you face will shut you down if you are that unbalanced. Moreover, the passing game wasnt great....it was better then last year but still the deep game was not on track. You forget that the QB was constantly getting pressured and dumping off short passes because he got NO time to let a play develop.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:12 pm
Defensive Tackle

chicagopurple wrote:

Of course the D was playing great but the offense wasnt that bad at all during that stretch. Especially the passing game. Running game was bad. But to say the offense was anemic in the first five games I disagree with. I would say bad running game and solid pass game. That doesnt define anemic

I think you're forgetting how much the offense struggled to score in at least 3 of those first 5 games. They didn't score a TD in week 1, managing only 4 FGs. They scored 17 in week 2 against GB. They scored just one TD and 2 FGs @Carolina. They were productive against the Giants and Texans but those were really the only two games out of the first 5 (or 7, for that matter) in which the offense was very effective.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next