Backup QB?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Backup QB?

Post by 720pete »

I would love to see TB back 100% this season but signs seem to point to that not being the case. Even if he is back 100% he will likely leave next season for a chance to start somewhere assuming Bradford remains starter. Should we be looking to draft a backup QB or sign one in free agency?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Backup QB?

Post by PurpleMustReign »

720pete wrote:I would love to see TB back 100% this season but signs seem to point to that not being the case. Even if he is back 100% he will likely leave next season for a chance to start somewhere assuming Bradford remains starter. Should we be looking to draft a backup QB or sign one in free agency?
Did SF release Kapernick? I would like to draft one and sign one in FA, but not just anyone...
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

We have a healthy Heinecke. I would hope that we either draft one or sign someone UDFA.
Regardless, absolutely No to a Kaepernick signing. He's terrible.
At the cost of QB salaries, I would actually draft one every other year. Eventually they hit and we can trade away backups...
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Did SF release Kapernick? I would like to draft one and sign one in FA, but not just anyone...
Yes but I wouldn't take the guy for free. He's an idiot.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Free agent QBs I wouldn't mind:
Bryan Hoyer
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Blaine Gabbert

The (notable) rest:
Colin Kaepernick
Geno Smith
RGIII
Case Keenum
Christian Ponder
Shaun Hill
Vince Young
Josh McCown
Matt McGloin
Mark Sanchez
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

720pete wrote:Free agent QBs I wouldn't mind:
Bryan Hoyer
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Blaine Gabbert

The (notable) rest:
Colin Kaepernick
Geno Smith
RGIII
Case Keenum
Christian Ponder
Shaun Hill
Vince Young
Josh McCown
Matt McGloin
Mark Sanchez
I actually saw a guy wearing a Ponder jersey this weekend...
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:I actually saw a guy wearing a Ponder jersey this weekend...
Was it Christian Ponder? ;)
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: Was it Christian Ponder? ;)
Not unless he got one hell of a sun tan.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

fiestavike wrote: Not unless he got one hell of a sun tan.
Lmfao

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

I would be ok with Sanchez or Keenum... The three at the top will probably want starting positions.

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:I would be ok with Sanchez or Keenum... The three at the top will probably want starting positions.

Sanchez no. Keenum yes
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Is Heinecke officially a bust? Everytime this question is asked, no one has the answer. We dont hear anything from the front office, like always, cause they have NO idea what to look for in a QB (with the exception of Bradford, but he cost a small fortune). If Heinecke isnt impressing anyone, try and find someone late that show more promise.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Is Heinecke officially a bust? Everytime this question is asked, no one has the answer. We dont hear anything from the front office, like always, cause they have NO idea what to look for in a QB (with the exception of Bradford, but he cost a small fortune). If Heinecke isnt impressing anyone, try and find someone late that show more promise.
They kept him on the roster even after his injury, so I would guess they don't view him that way. I assume he is still on the team and will be competing for the backup job.

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

In other words, no he isn't a bust. And even still, I don't 5hink anyone taken after round 4 can ever be considered a bust since at that point it is a crap shoot anyway.

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Is Heinecke officially a bust? Everytime this question is asked, no one has the answer. We dont hear anything from the front office, like always, cause they have NO idea what to look for in a QB (with the exception of Bradford, but he cost a small fortune). If Heinecke isnt impressing anyone, try and find someone late that show more promise.
Well why would we have an answer? The guy doesnt get on the field. And I dont know how you can be a bust when you go undrafted. That is not considered a "bust". Why would the front office mention much regarding Heinecke?? Let me know how many front offices talk highly and openly about their 3rd string QB. This post doesnt make much sense

I must say, it really drives me nuts the way the word "bust" is thrown around on here. I feel like there needs to be a specific definition to this. Maybe I'll try Urban Dictionary :lol:
-Chazz Palminteri