View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Vikings sign OT Mike Remmers, formerly of the Panthers 
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post Vikings sign OT Mike Remmers, formerly of the Panthers
Quote:
Vikings signed RT Mike Remmers, formerly of the Panthers, to a five-year, $30 million contract.
Remmers was badly exposed on the left side last season, but he is a decent option at right tackle. That is likely where he will play in Minnesota with fellow free-agent signing Riley Reiff taking over on the left side. It is a solid start to Minnesota's complete rebuild along the offensive line.

I'm honestly surprised we went tackle-tackle in FA. I figured we would go tackle-guard and then draft a RT. I think it's a decent signing. On the right side, he's been pretty decent.

I know someone mentioned earlier about when we faced Carolina and sacked them 8 times....Mike Remmers wasnt the one at fault in that game. He actually played very well.

Quote:
Vikings secondary shouts down Newton

Newton was under duress for most of the afternoon as the Vikings defense continues to wreak havoc for opposing offenses in the passing game. A combination of pressures given up by the offensive line and coverage down the field forcing Newton to hold the ball made it difficult for Newton all day. He made several poor decisions with guys around his feet, throwing three interceptions. On the day Newton was sacked eight times, with three of those being pinned on Newton. The Vikings showed various blitz looks all day, holding Newton to 6-for-11 for 61 yards and 3 sacks on plays they blitzed.

Top offensive grades:

RT Mike Remmers, 85.7
RG Trai Turner, 81.2
FB Mike Tolbert, 79.7
LG Andrew Norell, 76.1
WR Corey Brown, 73.3

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:02 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Post Re: Vikings sign OT Mike Remmers, formerly of the Panthers
Are things looking up for a change?

Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:11 pm
Franchise Player

CbusVikesFan wrote:

I'll believe it when I see it. Interestingly signing Rieff was in response to the Lions letting him go when they signed the guy the Vikings actually wanted. Now they sign Remmers who Carolina let go because they signed Khalil. Two guys who were apparently viewed as not good enough elsewhere are now the Vikings starting tackles.

Will they be an improvement? Sure, but then almost any fat guy would over the hot garbage they fielded last year with all the injuries.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:03 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

CbusVikesFan wrote:

From the OL perspective, I would say so. Two durable signings that are both better than what we had at LT and RT.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:04 am
All Pro Elite Player

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
CbusVikesFan wrote:

From the OL perspective, I would say so. Two durable signings that are both better than what we had at LT and RT.

Pretty much anything the Vikings could do is an upgrade on the line. Really doesn't matter if they are other teams castoffs, Vikings were in serious trouble and needed to do something positive.

Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter

Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:10 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

CbusVikesFan wrote:
CbusVikesFan wrote:

Pretty much anything the Vikings could do is an upgrade on the line. Really doesn't matter if they are other teams castoffs, Vikings were in serious trouble and needed to do something positive.

Yeah I think they were solid moves. Tackles were going to be tough to find and we found two serviceable to solid starters that have a healthy track record. I would now like to land a decent guard. If we can do that, our options could be endless in the draft when it comes to OL. If we leave an open hole, like RG, it kind of gives away what we're going to draft. If we have solid or serviceable starters at every position on the OL, we can take BPA on the OL come draft day

Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:53 am
Hall of Famer

SP1966 wrote:
CbusVikesFan wrote:

I'll believe it when I see it. Interestingly signing Rieff was in response to the Lions letting him go when they signed the guy the Vikings actually wanted. Now they sign Remmers who Carolina let go because they signed Khalil. Two guys who were apparently viewed as not good enough elsewhere are now the Vikings starting tackles.

Will they be an improvement? Sure, but then almost any fat guy would over the hot garbage they fielded last year with all the injuries.

I believe I Will sit in your camp till either or both tackles prove you wrong. I sure hope both don't prove to be cast offs

Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:10 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Remmers also horrible with speed rushers.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:19 am
Packers Suck

CbusVikesFan wrote:
CbusVikesFan wrote:

This is an absolutely terrible attitude that would result in nothing but overpayed ####.

You would really sign two big contracts like this to two players that you deem castoffs, because "Anything is an upgrade"?

That is ridiculous, you don't sign guys to big contracts just for the sake of signing them, or out of sheer desperation. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that your GM didn't/wouldn't do that either.

Furthermore, Reiff and Remmers are hardly castoffs.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:34 am
Packers Suck

Laserman wrote:
SP1966 wrote:
CbusVikesFan wrote:

I believe I Will sit in your camp till either or both tackles prove you wrong. I sure hope both don't prove to be cast offs

How can you "prove to be cast offs"? What happened with their other teams are over with and regardless of what they do from here on out, nothing would change whether they were castoffs or not.

Which they weren't, btw, neither of them.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:36 am
Packers Suck

SP1966 wrote:
CbusVikesFan wrote:

Two guys who were apparently viewed as not good enough elsewhere are now the Vikings starting tackles.

Being a free agent, is not the same as being viewed as "Not good enough elsewhere".

As to Remmers and Kalil, i'd take Remmers any friken day, I don't know what the Panthers were thinking.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:39 am
Defensive Tackle

A views on Remmers as a Panther, from an article published last October:

Fix the Failure: Should the Panthers bench Mike Remmers?

Quote:
The Carolina Panthers have one of the best interior offensive lines in the NFL, but their protection is lacking when it comes to their offensive tackles.

Sure, Mike Remmers and Michael Oher each played at an adequate to an above average level last season, but that same production hasn't been there in 2016. The result? Carolina has allowed 15 sacks, which ranks 27th in the NFL. Heading into last week, Remmers - a former undrafted free agent who bounced around the league before sticking with the Panthers in 2014 - was tied for allowing the most pressures in the NFL.

This poor start to the season was on the heels of an individual beat-down in Super Bowl 50, when Von Miller single-handedly won Denver the Super Bowl by beating Remmers and forcing two game-changing fumbles (though to be fair, Miller beat just about everyone last season).

Nonetheless, the Panthers were hoping for a bounce back year from Remmers. Not helping matters was Oher's recent concussion, causing Remmers to be moved to left tackle over his normal right tackle spot for the past three games. The results haven't been outstanding.

Based on what I've read about and seen of Remmers, this sure looks to me like another case of the Vikings installing a player at the level of a high quality backup in the role of multi-year starter. That said, Remmers is young enough to perhaps take another step in his development and be a worthy starter. Let's hope it plays out that way.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:05 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

Mothman wrote:
A views on Remmers as a Panther, from an article published last October:

Fix the Failure: Should the Panthers bench Mike Remmers?

Quote:
The Carolina Panthers have one of the best interior offensive lines in the NFL, but their protection is lacking when it comes to their offensive tackles.

Sure, Mike Remmers and Michael Oher each played at an adequate to an above average level last season, but that same production hasn't been there in 2016. The result? Carolina has allowed 15 sacks, which ranks 27th in the NFL. Heading into last week, Remmers - a former undrafted free agent who bounced around the league before sticking with the Panthers in 2014 - was tied for allowing the most pressures in the NFL.

This poor start to the season was on the heels of an individual beat-down in Super Bowl 50, when Von Miller single-handedly won Denver the Super Bowl by beating Remmers and forcing two game-changing fumbles (though to be fair, Miller beat just about everyone last season).

Nonetheless, the Panthers were hoping for a bounce back year from Remmers. Not helping matters was Oher's recent concussion, causing Remmers to be moved to left tackle over his normal right tackle spot for the past three games. The results haven't been outstanding.

Based on what I've read about and seen of Remmers, this sure looks to me like another case of the Vikings installing a player at the level of a high quality backup in the role of multi-year starter. That said, Remmers is young enough to perhaps take another step in his development and be a worthy starter. Let's hope it plays out that way.

The way I look at it is, I would much rather have Reiff and Remmers right now instead of just Reiff at RT and have no LT still. I feel like this was a solid move given what was out there. If we can land a serviceable guard, it could allow us to take BPA for OL come draft day which I would like. We all knew this wasn't getting fixed in one offseason

Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:10 am
Transition Player

His poor play was on the left side though. With Reiff the opposite happened. He struggled more on the right.
I think we have upgraded significantly and maybe most important and overlooked is that we have durable players with 5 year contracts. OT should not be an issue for some time.
Hopefully the revolving doors have stopped.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:15 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Remmers is not elite by any stretch, but Cam puts a lot of that on his line. When the vikings got him 8 times, a good number of those were on Newton. He also choked in the superbowl. Remmers looked terrible in that game, and was destroyed by Von Miller, but Newton was equally garbage.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:07 pm
Transition Player

Remmers was at LT. Von Miller was a BEAST. Remmers is a RT.
I will take that guy and challenge him to make sure that doesn't happen again...
Still very happy with our OT signings

Last edited by IIsweet on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:47 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Newton is also a QB that does not get the ball out quick. Look how long he held onto it when Hunter sacked him for a safety for example. Bradford gets it out much quicker which is an advantage for Remmers. No less, he was the best OL vs us this season in that game

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:44 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Newton is also a QB that does not get the ball out quick. Look how long he held onto it when Hunter sacked him for a safety for example. Bradford gets it out much quicker which is an advantage for Remmers. No less, he was the best OL vs us this season in that game

Yes, its a new day for the Vikings offense. This is why I don't think it would have made a ton of sense to sign Wagner. The ball is going to get out quick, and we're going to run a lot of draw plays.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:56 am
All Pro Elite Player

We don't have to have the best OL. Just markedly better than last years.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:59 am
Defensive Tackle

IrishViking wrote:

I'd put it this way: they don't need the best but they need an OL that can do the job when it counts. That would be markedly better than last year but the team's attitude shouldn't be "good enough is good enough". Spielman has shown way too much of a tendency to just settle for that kind of thinking over the years.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:08 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
IrishViking wrote:

I'd put it this way: they don't need the best but they need an OL that can do the job when it counts. That would be markedly better than last year but the team's attitude shouldn't be "good enough is good enough". Spielman has shown way too much of a tendency to just settle for that kind of thinking over the years.

The vikings are going to ask less of their offensive line, especially in pass protection. If they bring in one more interior lineman in FA, don't be surprised to see the 2017 draft be very heavy on defense again!

I'd set the over under for OL players drafted at 2.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:21 am
Defensive Tackle

fiestavike wrote:
Mothman wrote:
IrishViking wrote:

The vikings are going to ask less of their offensive line, especially in pass protection. If they bring in one more interior lineman in FA, don't be surprised to see the 2017 draft be very heavy on defense again!

I'd set the over under for OL players drafted at 2.

That's a smart place to set it. Maybe you missed your calling!

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:51 am
All Pro Elite Player

Yes, they paid a lot of money for guys that are not Pro Bowlers but will get Pro Bowl cash....but that is the fault of the Organization for letting the OL problem fester for years then only addressing the problem when it was a catastrophe during a year when Everyone else also was looking for OL help so even the mediocre players are getting huge deals.

Will it be an improvemnt...probably given the horrid players at OL last year, BUT, if its only a mediocre improvement, it wont seem like it when you look at the purchase price.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:15 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

IrishViking wrote:

Agreed and have durability and that's what we signed in Reiff and Remmers

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:02 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

chicagopurple wrote:
Yes, they paid a lot of money for guys that are not Pro Bowlers but will get Pro Bowl cash....but that is the fault of the Organization for letting the OL problem fester for years then only addressing the problem when it was a catastrophe during a year when Everyone else also was looking for OL help so even the mediocre players are getting huge deals.

Will it be an improvemnt...probably given the horrid players at OL last year, BUT, if its only a mediocre improvement, it wont seem like it when you look at the purchase price.

I don't agree with the "everyone needed OL help" stuff. This is an every year thing. Bottom line is, it's a weak tackle FA class and draft class. That is why these guys are getting the money they're getting. Not because "everyone needs OL help". Not even half the teams in the NFL have signed an OT in FA. That isn't even close to being "everyone". Let's put that one to rest

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:06 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Chicago, GB, Carolina, and many other teams are all looking to shore up their OL this year. On top of that, as you admit, its a weak draft year for the positions. On top of that, the teams all had a bump in their player budget limits increasing their spending....its a perfect storm to create over paid journeyman players......and we fell right into the mess.

Last edited by chicagopurple on Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:26 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

chicagopurple wrote:
Chicago, GB, Carolina, and many other teams are all looking to shore up their OL this year. On top of that, as you admit, its a weak draft year for the positions. On top of that, the teaas all had a bump in their player budget limits increasing their spending....its a perfect storm to create over paid journeyman players......and we fell right into the mess.

Reiff is the only concern because of the amount guaranteed and the 3 year true nature of the deal. Would prefer it had either been cheaper or for 2 years. Sounds like Remmers is a team friendly deal to me.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:28 pm
All Pro Elite Player

I am just so desperate to see a season with great pass protection and run blocking.....its sad how long it has been since I could say that! I really enjoyed watching the Cowboys (UGH!) this year just for that reason...it was pretty awesome watching their front line.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:38 pm
Strong Safety

yeah I think most teams need help on their own lines.. especially at Tackle

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:51 pm
All Pro Elite Player

I agree we are having to overpay for not having addressed this properly. But that's the game. Look at Brock Osi! He is going to literally retire on money made from teams overpaying for a position that has festered on their team. To me it becomes not what you want in an ideal situation but if someone had a group of Olinemen at the end of last a season and said "For 80% of your cap space I'll make your OL 15% better across the board" I think most everyone would have gone for that. Thats basically what they are doing. In moneyball measurements we ARE overpaying, for the reality of the situation we are actually doing pretty well I think. Two of the better/best *AVAILABLE* pieces at literally our greatest weakness.

Just imagine if our OL had played roughly 10% better last year. Doesn't sound like much but that's a lot more yards, pushes, pancakes, several fewer sacks, etc 30 million is a lot to pay for that, but you have to make do with what you got.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next