Alshon Jeffery Denies Vikings, Signs with Eagles

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Alshon Jeffery Denies Vikings, Signs with Eagles

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I really wanted to start a thread on this because I'm baffled by what went on here.

1.) Why were we going after Jeffery?

2.) If we offer him a multi year deal with more security, why is he choosing Philly?

I'm personally glad we didnt sign him but at the same time, I also dont understand the infatuation with Philly. Everybody talks up Carson Wentz like he's the next Andrew Luck but to be honest, outside of his first 3 games this year, he was pretty bad. He started off 5:0 TD:INT in his first 3 games and finished the year 11:14. Torrey Smith also just signed there before he did. I wish there were more details on this
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
5thWave
Backup

Re: Alshon Jeffery Denies Vikings, Signs with Eagles

Post by 5thWave »

Closer to home? (S. Carolina)

O-line can protect long enough to run deeper routes?

I honestly don't know either.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I really wanted to start a thread on this because I'm baffled by what went on here.

1.) Why were we going after Jeffery?

2.) If we offer him a multi year deal with more security, why is he choosing Philly?

I'm personally glad we didnt sign him but at the same time, I also dont understand the infatuation with Philly. Everybody talks up Carson Wentz like he's the next Andrew Luck but to be honest, outside of his first 3 games this year, he was pretty bad. He started off 5:0 TD:INT in his first 3 games and finished the year 11:14. Torrey Smith also just signed there before he did. I wish there were more details on this
You were going after Alshon because you are light at WR, sorry, but outside of Diggs, you don't have much, you drafted a possession WR 1st round last year, and he barely saw the field at all last year on a light WR core, that is not a good sign, especially considering the type of player he is supposed to be, you definitely would want greater early production from, move the chains, reliable pass catcher type, its not like he was a raw physical freak, who was expected to need ample time to develop.

Speaking of which, your first round physical freak of a WR, Flash, has been very frustrating and offers very little in the way of a conventional WR, his route running, hands and mental acuity don't seem to be much improved from when he was a rookie, imo. Maybe you disagree, I'd like to hear why. He is a FA regardless, isn't he? Johnson has been good at times and non existant at others, and while I personally think Theilen will be a damn good WR, its hard to fault a team for not wanting to rely on an undrafted WR to contribute. I just really don't see many, if any big downfield targets you have.

Alshon perhaps liked the situation in Philly better, its not like he's getting paid a small amount for 1 season, I think, though, that he wants to have a big year in Philly, and then cash in on a mega million dollar deal that pays him like a top WR, which due to circumstance, he couldn't have gotten this year.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jordysghost wrote: You were going after Alshon because you are light at WR, sorry, but outside of Diggs, you don't have much, you drafted a possession WR 1st round last year, and he barely saw the field at all last year on a light WR core, that is not a good sign, especially considering the type of player he is supposed to be, you definitely would want greater early production from, move the chains, reliable pass catcher type, its not like he was a raw physical freak, who was expected to need ample time to develop.

Speaking of which, your first round physical freak of a WR, Flash, has been very frustrating and offers very little in the way of a conventional WR, his route running, hands and mental acuity don't seem to be much improved from when he was a rookie, imo. Maybe you disagree, I'd like to hear why. He is a FA regardless, isn't he?

Alshon perhaps liked the situation in Philly better, its not like he's getting paid a small amount for 1 season, I think, though, that he wants to have a big year in Philly, and then cash in on a mega million dollar deal that pays him like a top WR, which due to circumstance, he couldn't have gotten this year.
I can already tell you you're wrong at that one just by reading your first sentence. Adam Thielen was 40 yards short of 1000 last year and is a very good WR. The reason Treadwell didnt see action is because of guys like Thielen and Patterson. They came out of nowhere. We had nothing outside of Diggs prior to that. Oh and as for Patterson, he actually has pretty good hands and it showed this year. Not sure where you're pulling some of this stuff from

So I'll ask again, why were we going after Jeffery
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I can already tell you you're wrong at that one just by reading your first sentence. Adam Thielen was 40 yards short of 1000 last year and is a very good WR. The reason Treadwell didnt see action is because of guys like Thielen and Patterson. They came out of nowhere. We had nothing outside of Diggs prior to that. Oh and as for Patterson, he actually has pretty good hands and it showed this year. Not sure where you're pulling some of this stuff from

So I'll ask again, why were we going after Jeffery
Laqoun being kept on the sideline by flash who played 16 games and had 453 yards (Not exactly putting those "Good hands" to good use)? Yea, that is not a good sign. And again, isn't he a free agent anyway?

Last year you had two quality threats at WR, what would happen if one got injured? You had one thousand yard WR last year, one almost thousand yard WR last year, and practically no real production outside of that, that is not going to cut in this passing league.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Can't forget that Rudolph was close to 1000 yards as well so I just don't buy into the fact that we are soft at receiving. Now if we have one of those 3 go down with injury then we will be backed into a corner somewhat but Wright has proven in the past that he can be a reliable receiver.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

It's not so much that we have elite receivers ... it's just that the WR group seems to have the least amount of trouble compared to the other offensive positions.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

Sorry, I posted about this concern in the free agency thread but this seems more appropriate. I do find it troubling that they were looking after Jeffrey and now rumored, Floyd. I have a bad feeling that this is a reflection on Treadwell. Obviously, nothing has really come out about it but I don't think it bodes well if only a year in they are ready to look in a different direction.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

It could be that they were wanting a guy the rest of the WR corps could learn from. As mentioned Thielen, who I like, has been around but was undrafted. Diggs was a late rounder and is still young, Treadwell a rookie. They really don't have a good veteran in the squad. This is why I personally like Brandon Marshall, I think Treadwell could learn a lot from him and he can at the same time be very productive. Not a fan of Jeffery, he's an amazing athlete but has trouble staying on the field for multiple reasons.

I think the Vikings have moved on from Patterson.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jordysghost wrote:
Laqoun being kept on the sideline by flash who played 16 games and had 453 yards (Not exactly putting those "Good hands" to good use)? Yea, that is not a good sign. And again, isn't he a free agent anyway?

Last year you had two quality threats at WR, what would happen if one got injured? You had one thousand yard WR last year, one almost thousand yard WR last year, and practically no real production outside of that, that is not going to cut in this passing league.
He was a #3 WR. That's about average for a #3. Taylor Gabriel is the #3 for Atlanta who had the #1 passing offense and he put up 570 yards. Not really sure what you're trying to prove. Trey Waynes was sidelined too his rookie season but ended up taking over as the #2 CB his 2nd year. So what you're trying to say means nothing.

As for your second paragraph, I love how you all of the sudden change your tone. You're barking up the wrong tree dude. You originally said we had nobody outside of Diggs. Then I bring up Thielen and now you say we had two threats but nobody outside of that. And as for stats, we had no 1000 yard WRs last year. Thielen was 967 and Diggs was 903. Although Diggs wouldve hit 1000 if it wasnt for injuries mid year. We THEN had a TE that had a pro bowl caliber year with 83 for 840 and 7 TDs. You say that isnt going to cut it?? And why is that? Patterson had 450 yards. Most #3's average that. Why is that all of the sudden not going to cut it??

I guess Atlanta must need a WR like Jeffery too since there #3 only had 570 yards right?? I mean according to you, having a #3 put up limited numbers must mean they need Alshon Jeffery right?? Because that "doesnt cut it"

Bottom line is, clearly when your typed up your original post, you didnt have a clue about the Vikings WR corps and it showed. Moving on....
-Chazz Palminteri
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: He was a #3 WR. That's about average for a #3. Taylor Gabriel is the #3 for Atlanta who had the #1 passing offense and he put up 570 yards. Not really sure what you're trying to prove. Trey Waynes was sidelined too his rookie season but ended up taking over as the #2 CB his 2nd year. So what you're trying to say means nothing.

As for your second paragraph, I love how you all of the sudden change your tone. You're barking up the wrong tree dude. You originally said we had nobody outside of Diggs. Then I bring up Thielen and now you say we had two threats but nobody outside of that. And as for stats, we had no 1000 yard WRs last year. Thielen was 967 and Diggs was 903. Although Diggs wouldve hit 1000 if it wasnt for injuries mid year. We THEN had a TE that had a pro bowl caliber year with 83 for 840 and 7 TDs. You say that isnt going to cut it?? And why is that? Patterson had 450 yards. Most #3's average that. Why is that all of the sudden not going to cut it??

I guess Atlanta must need a WR like Jeffery too since there #3 only had 570 yards right?? I mean according to you, having a #3 put up limited numbers must mean they need Alshon Jeffery right?? Because that "doesnt cut it"

Bottom line is, clearly when your typed up your original post, you didnt have a clue about the Vikings WR corps and it showed. Moving on....
I literally brought up Theilen in my first post in the thread.

The whole point about flash was that he was in front of your 1st round draft pick at WR, if Taylor Gabriel was ahead of the depth chart on a 1st round WR then I'd say ATL had some cause for concern, yea. Even more concerning, is that this same guy is leaving via free agency.

So you didn't have any 1000 yard Wrs, and your number 3 who put average at best numbers is leaving......... at least Treadwell has one less guy in front of him on the depth chart. :confused: Seems to me like the need for another downfield threat is quite obvious. Do you really want me to lay it all out for you?

You had no thousand yard WRs, none, which is worse then I thought, your number 3 WR is leaving, and Treadwell had like, 1 catch last year? I honestly cant believe our here asking why your team was interested in Alshon.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

S197 wrote:It could be that they were wanting a guy the rest of the WR corps could learn from. As mentioned Thielen, who I like, has been around but was undrafted. Diggs was a late rounder and is still young, Treadwell a rookie. They really don't have a good veteran in the squad. This is why I personally like Brandon Marshall, I think Treadwell could learn a lot from him and he can at the same time be very productive. Not a fan of Jeffery, he's an amazing athlete but has trouble staying on the field for multiple reasons.

I think the Vikings have moved on from Patterson.
Definitely is possible. I just wish sometimes we could make the coaches or GM drink some truth serum so we could the full story or what they really think about certain players. Trying to interpret actions and the company speak can be maddening sometimes :)
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jordysghost wrote: I literally brought up Theilen in my first post in the thread.

The whole point about flash was that he was in front of your 1st round draft pick at WR, if Taylor Gabriel was ahead of the depth chart on a 1st round WR then I'd say ATL had some cause for concern, yea. Even more concerning, is that this same guy is leaving via free agency.

So you didn't have any 1000 yard Wrs, and your number 3 who put average at best numbers is leaving......... at least Treadwell has one less guy in front of him on the depth chart. :confused: Seems to me like the need for another downfield threat is quite obvious. Do you really want me to lay it all out for you?

You had no thousand yard WRs, none, which is worse then I thought, your number 3 WR is leaving, and Treadwell had like, 1 catch last year? I honestly cant believe our here asking why your team was interested in Alshon.
:roll: We had two guys less than 100 yards from 1000. One that would've hit if it wasn't for injuries. Not many teams have 2 guys that near 1000 yards. So yeah, I don't see a need for Jeffery because that's pretty good production. We literally wasted a first round pick on Treadwell if you don't give him a shot.

Are you really going to be ignorant enough to sit there and say, well your receiver production wasn't good because you had one guy 40 yards short of 1000 and another 90 yards short of 1000? I sure hope not
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Jordysghost wrote: I literally brought up Theilen in my first post in the thread.

We also had no offensive line. There's a lot more that goes into the passing game than just how flashy your wide receivers are. You'll see this year, when Sam Bradford has actual NFL caliber tackles blocking for him ... Adam Thielen will be every bit the receiver your precious Jordy Nelson is.

And by the way, your #3 receiver had 640 yards and your tight ends did squat -- which is why you went after Bears reject Martellus Bennett. So shut the hell up about our receivers.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
And by the way, your #3 receiver had 640 yards and your tight ends did squat -- which is why you went after Bears reject Martellus Bennett. So shut the hell up about our receivers.
I seriously didn't even realize we signed him until this post, thanks for that.

Bennett is a matchup issue that commands attention in the middle of the field, that's why we signed him, just like Cook last year.