2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6625
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by HardcoreVikesFan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:40 am

Scott Crichton, DE, Buffalo

Scott Crichton has been claimed by the Buffalo Bills.

Source: PFT
0 x
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37407
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by Mothman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:57 am

Cliff wrote:I know I'm not really part of the discussion but I absolutely think trades for players in the draft should count when considering how the Vikings did in a given draft. It's still the value that was earned via draft picks. Otherwise, in the case of Allen for example, it's as if the team never had a 1st round pick that year. If you discount those players it can make a given draft look a lot worse than it really was.

Allen being established doesn't mean him playing well is a given. He had character issues, etc. He could have easily been a "bust". Just as Bradford could end up being a "bust" for this year's first. You're still basically drafting with that pick, you're just drafting a player already in the league. Whether they preform well, how long they stay with the team, etc. These are all still considerations when thinking about the value that the team got for a given pick.

Of course if the conversation is about how the team is doing at developing a player that's one thing.


That's the conversation I'm trying to have...
If we're talking draft value, that's another.
Exactly. It's a different subject. :)
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11369
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by S197 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:27 pm

Mothman wrote:There's a good chance over 50% of the first round picks of the Spielman era won't even make it to a second contract with the team and there haven't been enough quality finds in subsequent rounds, although there have been some.
Lets take a look at the Super Bowl champs over the same period:

Laurence Maroney - Traded to the Broncos after going on injured reserve. Subsequently released.
Brandon Meriweather - Impressive start but did not make it past his 1st contract. Signed w/ Bears.
Jerod Mayo - Solid player, definite hit and long term Patriot until he retired
Devin McCourty - Re-signed with the Pats and is Co-captain
Nate Solder - Starting LT
Chandler Jones - Traded to the Cardinals, some past drug issues
Donta Hightower - Replaced Mayo and signed to contract extension
Dominique Easley - Released and signed by the Rams
Malcolm Brown - In his second season

They're roughly at a 50% hit rate by the same criteria. Just one other team but I figured I'd take the best team and see how they stack up.
0 x

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37407
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by Mothman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:27 pm

S197 wrote: Lets take a look at the Super Bowl champs over the same period:

Laurence Maroney - Traded to the Broncos after going on injured reserve. Subsequently released.
Brandon Meriweather - Impressive start but did not make it past his 1st contract. Signed w/ Bears.
Jerod Mayo - Solid player, definite hit and long term Patriot until he retired
Devin McCourty - Re-signed with the Pats and is Co-captain
Nate Solder - Starting LT
Chandler Jones - Traded to the Cardinals, some past drug issues
Donta Hightower - Replaced Mayo and signed to contract extension
Dominique Easley - Released and signed by the Rams
Malcolm Brown - In his second season

They're roughly at a 50% hit rate by the same criteria. Just one other team but I figured I'd take the best team and see how they stack up.
I genuinely appreciate the effort but the entire point of my initial statement was that the team needs to hit on more draft picks overall, not just in the first round.That statement didn't seem controversial to me when I wrote it so I'm not sure why it's encountering so much resistance. Does anyone really think the Vikings don't need better results in this area?
0 x

User avatar
jackal
Strong Safety
Posts: 11582
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Location: California

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by jackal » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:39 pm

I didn't realize Audie Cole was gone ... I always liked him
0 x
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11369
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by S197 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:41 pm

Mothman wrote: I genuinely appreciate the effort but the entire point of my initial statement was that the team needs to hit on more draft picks overall, not just in the first round.That statement didn't seem controversial to me when I wrote it so I'm not sure why it's encountering so much resistance. Does anyone really think the Vikings don't need better results in this area?
No argument from me on that front (hitting on more overall). To be honest, I initially asked the question about other teams and curiosity got the best of me so I decided to dig a little. Again, it's anecdotal but I figured the Pats were a good proxy to use because of their success.

For me, I think the Vikings have done well early in the draft, I think the deficiency is in the mid and late rounds. They have hit on guys like Griffen, Diggs, etc., but I think they need to do better. I'm not expecting a Richard Sherman or Tom Brady (although it would be nice!) but it would be good if they could find more role players in some of the day 3 picks.
0 x

autobon7
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1043
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by autobon7 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:42 am

jackal wrote:I didn't realize Audie Cole was gone ... I always liked him

Me too.....I hope he earns a starting position.
0 x

User avatar
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6625
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by HardcoreVikesFan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:24 pm

Scott Crichton, DE, Waivers

PFT is reporting that former Vikings DE Scott Crichton has failed his physical with the Buffalo Bills. He was subsequently put back on waivers.

(Source: PFT)

Minnesota Vikings Transactions - 3/30/17

Tom Pelissero of USA Today is reporting that the Vikings signed three players who participated in the Pro Combine: TE Nick Truesdell, WR Mitch Matthews, and DB Terrell Sinkfield

(Source: Tom Pelissero)
0 x
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 502
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by YikesVikes » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:16 pm

Just posted an article. DT is a big need if true. I don't think the ex-packer can hold up.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /99838030/
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11369
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by S197 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:43 pm

YikesVikes wrote:Just posted an article. DT is a big need if true. I don't think the ex-packer can hold up.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /99838030/
Man, that's rough :(
0 x

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18472
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by PurpleMustReign » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:52 pm

How were they able to sign guys before the draft?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
VikingPaul73
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2923
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by VikingPaul73 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:15 pm

S197 wrote: Man, that's rough :(

that's brutal. I think I made a comment weeks ago suggesting he was "milking" the Vikings for the extra contract. Now I feel really bad about that

And maybe I was reading too much into things, but it really seemed like zimmer was downplaying the injury and almost suggesting Floyd was sandbagging.
0 x

User avatar
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3447
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by 808vikingsfan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:35 am

Feel bad for Floyd. I hope he can overcome this somehow.


Sharrif Floyd: "Football Saved My Life"
0 x
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

User avatar
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3447
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by 808vikingsfan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:43 am

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Scott Crichton, DE, Waivers

PFT is reporting that former Vikings DE Scott Crichton has failed his physical with the Buffalo Bills. He was subsequently put back on waivers.

(Source: PFT)

Minnesota Vikings Transactions - 3/30/17

Tom Pelissero of USA Today is reporting that the Vikings signed three players who participated in the Pro Combine: TE Nick Truesdell, WR Mitch Matthews, and DB Terrell Sinkfield

(Source: Tom Pelissero)

Mitch Matthews. 6' 6". Does he have a chance to make the team? Can see him helping in the redzone.

Mitch Mathews BYU Career Highlights
0 x
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37407
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by Mothman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:29 am

YikesVikes wrote:Just posted an article. DT is a big need if true. I don't think the ex-packer can hold up.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /99838030/

Wow, that's terrible news. It certainly sheds light on Floyd's heartfelt Instagram post the other day. I hope his career isn't over and more importantly, I hope this heals sooner rather than later just for his quality of life.
0 x

Post Reply