2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: Listening to his introduction to the Twin Cities media, sounds like he'll be DL, and definitely be playing some 3 Tech. Sounds like he met Zimmer and coach Andre Patterson and got a real sense of the role they have for him.
Yeah I saw that too. I like the signing. Potential low risk high reward
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Been busy with work and school the past few days. I updated the OP with contract details.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote: Huge? Well, thanks to some serious mismanagement they desperately needed tackles so I guess it's hue in the sense that they actually have more qualified players for those positions now. However, let's also not forget, in a discussion about the importance of a team keeping their young guys, that those 2 tackles are young guys and their previous teams decided they were no longer needed. The Lions seemed perfectly happy to let Reiff, a former first round pick, walk after his rookie contract. As far as I've been able to determine, the Panthers showed no interest in keeping Remmers at all and both Reiff and Remmers are healthy and in their prime.

The departure of Patterson is disappointing to me because I thought he brought serious value to the team as a special teams player and he emerged last year from whatever doghouse they had him locked in and played well. I felt he was worth keeping for another season or two, especially since the offense appears to moving in a direction in which his skills and talent could be very valuable. Of course, like Reiff, he's a former first round pick whose team seemed happy to let him walk so that tells us something about how both players were ultimately viewed by the teams that drafted them.
Yuuuge

:spanking: Erm sorry...

I say huge only because it represents a 40% change to a bad O-line. And an upgrade based on past performance (whether that translates to future success... who knows).

With the cap, it's a little more complicated than teams are "perfectly happy" to let guys go. It's many factors: cost, depth, need, etc. As an example, I'm sure the Vikings would have liked to keep Kalil.... just not at $50MM. The Lions may feel they don't need a LT and they signed a big $$ RT so Reiff was, I don't want to say expendable, but perhaps easier to let go. Same with Remmers, Carolina got him cheap. I don't follow them so perhaps they have a cap issue or a RT on their depth chart they feel can provide similar protection.

The cap means NFL teams aren't afforded a lot of luxuries so you really need to prioritize your needs. Some teams, O-line is not as much a need. For the Vikings it was. Patterson was a nice luxury but I think there are bigger fish to fry. It's nice to get a guy who can catch a bubble screen or take a jet sweep for extra yards but every dollar (or million) allocated there takes away from other holes. Potentially bigger holes.

In the grand scheme of things it's always tough to lose good players but that's the reality of the present day NFL. Outside of AD, the Vikings didn't lose very many guys that I would define as the nucleus of the team.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

I'm pretty disappointed with the Patterson situation. We gave Wright 7 million guaranteed on his last contract extension. Wright may have averaged a bit less per year, but Pattersons raiders contract is only 5 million guranteed. Wright was mentioned above as #3 now, but there is no way you can convince me that with equal touches, Wright is the better receiver/player than Patterson.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Crax wrote:I'm pretty disappointed with the Patterson situation. We gave Wright 7 million guaranteed on his last contract extension. Wright may have averaged a bit less per year, but Pattersons raiders contract is only 5 million guranteed. Wright was mentioned above as #3 now, but there is no way you can convince me that with equal touches, Wright is the better receiver/player than Patterson.
It was also a completely different time and situation when we gave Wright his contract. So trying to use his contract when comparing Patterson is a useless argument
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: It was also a completely different time and situation when we gave Wright his contract. So trying to use his contract when comparing Patterson is a useless argument
It wasn't an argument, just comparing it to past contracts by same guy(Rick). If you can't compare to what they have done in the past, then whatever. $5 million isn't crazy amount of money. I guess you could argue he totally screwed up the Wright deal since Wright hasn't done #### since we gave him 7 million and doesn't want to mess it up again.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Crax wrote: It wasn't an argument, just comparing it to past contracts by same guy(Rick). If you can't compare to what they have done in the past, then whatever. $5 million isn't crazy amount of money. I guess you could argue he totally screwed up the Wright deal since Wright hasn't done #### since we gave him 7 million and doesn't want to mess it up again.
Yeah he hasnt done much but he also had a lot in front of him this past year. But at the time, we were much more desperate for WR than we are now. So like I said, you can't really compare the two. I'm sure if CP needed a new contract back when Wright was resigned he wouldve been resigned. We didnt have many options when Wright was given that contract.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote: :spanking: Erm sorry...

I say huge only because it represents a 40% change to a bad O-line. And an upgrade based on past performance (whether that translates to future success... who knows).

With the cap, it's a little more complicated than teams are "perfectly happy" to let guys go. It's many factors: cost, depth, need, etc. As an example, I'm sure the Vikings would have liked to keep Kalil.... just not at $50MM. The Lions may feel they don't need a LT and they signed a big $$ RT so Reiff was, I don't want to say expendable, but perhaps easier to let go.

In their case, it appears they made a very conscious decision to move on. Reiff played LT for the Lions for years and last year, they drafted Taylor Decker to replace Reiff at LT, moved him to RT and then this year, rather than re-signing him after drafting and developing him, they chose to go after Wagner instead, spending money on him they could have spent on reuff.

I'm not saying Reiff's a bad player but it's not insignificant that the Lions have essentially chosen replaced him twice in two years, despite having the means to keep him.
5thWave
Backup

Post by 5thWave »

We signed Latavius Murray?

From Yahoo....
Seriously though, as anyone can tell from the #VikingsTwitter account these days, purple pride is fading fast due in large part to Spielman’s free agency strategy. After once again losing another Vikings’ staple, this time in the form of Cordarrelle Patterson, Spielman rushed to respond and quickly agreed to terms with former Oakland Raiders’ running back, Latavius Murray, after his visit on Tuesday.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/prudence-o ... 50654.html
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I would rather keep AD than sign Murray, but what's done is done I guess

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I would rather keep AD than sign Murray, but what's done is done I guess

From the sounds of it, Adrian continues to harbor the illusion that he is worth much more than any team is willing to pay for his services, which is exactly what I thought would happen.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:

In their case, it appears they made a very conscious decision to move on. Reiff played LT for the Lions for years and last year, they drafted Taylor Decker to replace Reiff at LT, moved him to RT and then this year, rather than re-signing him after drafting and developing him, they chose to go after Wagner instead, spending money on him they could have spent on reuff.

I'm not saying Reiff's a bad player but it's not insignificant that the Lions have essentially chosen replaced him twice in two years, despite having the means to keep him.
He doesn't fit their system.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

So signing a 4th string DE (Griffen, Hunter, Robison) or 4th String 3 Tech (Floyd, Johnson, Robison) is more important than sustaining the best starting point in the NFL. Reminder, we have a limited offense. I just don't understand our FA plan. It's not even about CP or Cap. It's just about improvements. We've spent a lot but I can't say we have improved as a team.

I am happy with the attempt to sign Jeffery and Lacy. I think If we were able to land those two and add Tackles, we would have moved in the right direction. Since we missed on those two, things appear to be random.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:I would rather keep AD than sign Murray, but what's done is done I guess

Not a chance. Much younger back, more durable at this point, can run out of the gun, can pass block, protects the ball better, can catch the ball, anything else? :lol:

For what reason would anyone want to keep Peterson at this point? He doesn't bring much to the table in this offense. I'm glad to see Spielman not just sign him back just because of who he is. I understand we all loved him but it's time to move on. It's like getting over your first girlfriend. She just isn't worth it anymore
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote:So signing a 4th string DE (Griffen, Hunter, Robison) or 4th String 3 Tech (Floyd, Johnson, Robison) is more important than sustaining the best starting point in the NFL. Reminder, we have a limited offense. I just don't understand our FA plan. It's not even about CP or Cap. It's just about improvements. We've spent a lot but I can't say we have improved as a team.

I am happy with the attempt to sign Jeffery and Lacy. I think If we were able to land those two and add Tackles, we would have moved in the right direction. Since we missed on those two, things appear to be random.
You're simply saying If we got Jeffery and Lacy it would've been better just because they're big names. If you take the time to sit down and think about it and look at their recent production, you would realize you could easily go in other directions instead of wasting money. Lacy is 267 and Jeffery has missed how many games in two years? But yeah if we signed them it would've been a lot better :confused:
-Chazz Palminteri