2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Maybe trying to send Waynes a message?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Maelstrom88 wrote:Maybe trying to send Waynes a message?
Wayne's has looked ok. I think Alexander should be more nervous.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

dead_poet wrote: 100% agree.

Might be nice for the Vikings to start giving Alexander reps on the outside.
I'm completely the other way. Brock has been a proven corner in the NFL for years and he's only in his late-twenties. He's a true CB out there. Alexander has been molded and fitted towards the Nickel CB role ever since he got here.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PacificNorseWest wrote: I'm completely the other way. Brock has been a proven corner in the NFL for years and he's only in his late-twenties. He's a true CB out there. Alexander has been molded and fitted towards the Nickel CB role ever since he got here.
Except he had zero experience with it in college and has not made the transition well at all. You can mold all you want and sometimes it never fits the shape you want it to fit. The team might be minimizing where he excels by playing him out of position. Reminescent of Josh Robinson, who was terrible in the slot but serviceable on the outside.

I'm still mad we didn't resign Captain. If we had, Alexander could've battled Wayne's for outside and we would have solid depth.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

letting captain walk before having a solid replacement was as stupid as letting mckinnie and winfield go, IMO. this is somethig about spielman i don't like. he often will draft guys who are incredible longshots to even make the team much less have solid fundamental skills for their position....and he will abruptly subtract players who are the best at their given spot for players who aren't ready and, in the cases above, are never ready and wind up being cut. it remains to be seen on alexander....but if brock can't play slot worth a damn, who will?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Nunin wrote:letting captain walk before having a solid replacement was as stupid as letting mckinnie and winfield go, IMO. this is somethig about spielman i don't like. he often will draft guys who are incredible longshots to even make the team much less have solid fundamental skills for their position....and he will abruptly subtract players who are the best at their given spot for players who aren't ready and, in the cases above, are never ready and wind up being cut. it remains to be seen on alexander....but if brock can't play slot worth a damn, who will?
I suspect it has more to do with maintaining cap discipline and not wanting to pay aging players as much (with a few notable exceptions: Allen, Waynes, Robison, Greenway). He's somewhat similar to Belichick in that regard. However I agree that you need competition and Alexander was gifted that position essentially. Same with Waynes. Although I do understand taking the wheels off and letting them get game snaps to try and improve. Still, I wanted Captain back. I suppose that may have been to help us sign Rhodes or something.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

dead_poet wrote: I suspect it has more to do with maintaining cap discipline and not wanting to pay aging players as much (with a few notable exceptions: Allen, Waynes, Robison, Greenway). He's somewhat similar to Belichick in that regard. However I agree that you need competition and Alexander was gifted that position essentially. Same with Waynes. Although I do understand taking the wheels off and letting them get game snaps to try and improve. Still, I wanted Captain back. I suppose that may have been to help us sign Rhodes or something.

i assume you may have meant newman rather than waynes, along with greenway and robison. there's probably something to the cap situation element and having such a huge cap hit at RB tipped the scales too.

it wasn't the case with mckinne.....he showed up to camp fat and he got cut. whether that was spielman or childress, it was kneejerk and bad for the team and franchise. mckinnie wound up starting for the superbowl champs that season....and the vikes have not had a competent left tackle since. they were forced to draft kalil as a result. that one transaction and subsequent high draft pick has had serious ripple effects going forward.

i think with the dearth of talent along the d-line that captain is more valuable in a vacuum than b-rob...even though i lov b-rob, but given the situation as it is captain is much more valuable to this team since there is really no one proven to take his spot...whereas there is a star in hunter waiting to rise at DE.

in terms of winfield? i would have argued that he was the best defender on that entire team in spite of his age and his case was handled with zero class or consideration to the coaching staff at a critical position.

yeah, these youngsters will take their lumps and sink or swim but i still see an ingrained element in spielman's methods that resembles robbing peter to pay paul...and it just so happens to possibly be playing out at the same position consecutively. captain was the ultimate replacement for winfield...neither of them drafted by spielman.

:deadhorse:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I think that isn't all on Rick. I. Sure Zimmer has some say in situations like that.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

The Patriots also appear to have signed G Willie Beavers.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014