2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

OP updated with Thielen and Newman contract details
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: His signing doesn't help us.
1) He is a 4th stringer though.

Floyd
Johnson
Robison....

Maybe at best we go Nascar and take out both DT and run Johnson and him together. Maybe he gets in there more than Robison this season? So he's 3rd??? :confused:
....nooo. Robison is a DE, Tom Johnson couldn't start last year with Floyd out and Floyd is a question mark. No less you're forgetting about the guy that started at 3 tech last year, Stephen. He didn't create much. So I think Jones has every bit of chance to crack the starting lineup or at least play significantly. Either way, he's not a 4th stringer.

And how on earth can you say his signing doesn't help us? You don't even know how the season is gonna shake out and where he is going to play for sure.

Would you say a few years ago that the signing of Tom johnson wasn't going to help us?? No. Because I guarantee you had no idea who he was. And it helped. You can't sit there and say it doesn't help us. Nobody knows if it does or doesnt
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: ....nooo. Robison is a DE, Tom Johnson couldn't start last year with Floyd out and Floyd is a question mark. No less you're forgetting about the guy that started at 3 tech last year, Stephen. He didn't create much. So I think Jones has every bit of chance to crack the starting lineup or at least play significantly. Either way, he's not a 4th stringer.

And how on earth can you say his signing doesn't help us? You don't even know how the season is gonna shake out and where he is going to play for sure.

Would you say a few years ago that the signing of Tom johnson wasn't going to help us?? No. Because I guarantee you had no idea who he was. And it helped. You can't sit there and say it doesn't help us. Nobody knows if it does or doesnt
And ultimately, we don't even know if he makes the 53. He might not. I think he played out of position in Green Bay. And lets say he splits time with any of the D-lineman, that just makes it a depth signing.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jared Cooks visit has concluded. Said he still wants to see what the Raiders have to offer. Had a good visit with us. Vikings still in the picture
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Said he still wants to see what the Raiders have to offer. Had a good visit with us.
Why does it seem like the Raiders and Seattle are the only two other teams participating in free agency this year?
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Vikings Facebook page just announced the signing of Murray.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Latavius Murray, HB - Vikings

Field Yates of ESPN is reporting Minnesota has signed HB Latavius Murray to a 3 year deal. Terms are not yet official.

(Source: ESPN)

Sigh.... :(
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Well at least we can get 3 good years out of him. He's a decent talent that's no pushover.

But seriously, other than his history here, why would anyone want Adrian "I want every two downs and $11 million dollars to play three games" Peterson? Murray's younger (27) AND has more upside than Peterson.

So far, I like this free agency, some smart moves so far with what's available and I already see a far superior team to what we've been the last three years. :govikes:
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Rhodes Closed wrote:Well at least we can get 3 good years out of him. He's a decent talent that's no pushover.

But seriously, other than his history here, why would anyone want Adrian "I want every two downs and $11 million dollars to play three games" Peterson? Murray's younger (27) AND has more upside than Peterson.

So far, I like this free agency, some smart moves so far with what's available and I already see a far superior team to what we've been the last three years. :govikes:
Purple glasses. Murray is nothing special. He's big and fast but does nothing with it. He will play longer than AP but he doesn't have more upside. He rushed for 800 in 14 games last season. He was let go at the end of this season. As I pointed out he is an improvement over Assista.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

YikesVikes wrote:Purple glasses. Murray is nothing special. He's big and fast but does nothing with it. He will play longer than AP but he doesn't have more upside. He rushed for 800 in 14 games last season. He was let go at the end of this season. As I pointed out he is an improvement over Assista.
Murray is fine for what he is; an upgrade over Asiata for the new RB by committee that the Vikings are setting up for. I assume McKinnon, him, and a rookie will be in rotation.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Purple glasses. Murray is nothing special. He's big and fast but does nothing with it. He will play longer than AP but he doesn't have more upside. He rushed for 800 in 14 games last season. He was let go at the end of this season. As I pointed out he is an improvement over Assista.
How does he not have more upside? He can play all 3 downs, pass block, catch the ball, has size/speed, can run out of the gun, etc. What does Adrian bring to the table right now? His name?? And I wouldn't look too far into his 800 yards. He had like 196 carries last year which isn't much.
-Chazz Palminteri
5thWave
Backup

Post by 5thWave »

Murray split time with two other backs in Oakland, so I think he has much more upside in rushing yards. I'm especially interested in his superior pass blocking skills which ranked him 3rd in the NFL last year. While not a prolific pass catcher, he has enough ability to keep defenses honest.

Thiel could make up to $27 million over 3 years with incentives. $11 million is guaranteed.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

YikesVikes wrote:
We are the dumbest team in the league. We have a checkdown QB and the only player on the team that can actually turn a 3rd and 9, 2 yard checkdown in to a first down, we let go.
Maybe we are dumb because we are in 3rd and 9 in the first place.
Mostly because our 12 million dollar 2down back put us into 3rd and 9 and now Matt Asiata and Or Jerrick, who both block and catch better than AD are the ones trusted to get those jobs done.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

****Maybe we are dumb because we are in 3rd and 9 in the first place.
Mostly because our 12 million dollar 2down back put us into 3rd and 9 and now Matt Asiata and Or Jerrick, who both block and catch better than AD are the ones trusted to get those jobs done.*****

Wait, you're blaming AP for us being in 3rd and 9? How is that his fault? I'm pretty sure none of our backs had 100 yards rushing in a game last year. We bring in a less explosive guy who also has questionable hands and I'm supposed to be excited?