2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

losperros
Commissioner

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: You'll need to take that up with FiestaVike. :) I was agreeing with the overall thrust of his last paragraph, that what Peterson has done as a Viking is an incredible achievement from a dominant runner. He's faced difficult circumstances but I don't think he's been running behind bad lines for his entire career. I don't think he's ever had the opportunity run behind a great one but some of those lines were quite good at run blocking. Pass blocking was never really a strength during that period.
Sometimes even the passing game wasn't that good, which meant opposing defenses didn't worry about it. Instead, they sold out to stop AD, putting 8 guys in the box and watching him like vultures on every play.

Peterson's accomplishments as a running back over his career are mind-boggling. He proved that.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

According to Spot Trac we currently are sitting at $16,796,834 in cap space. Throw in the $5,000,000 needed for draft picks and we currently are left with $11,796,834 in cap room.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/cap/

Hopefully we can restructure Brian, sign Rhodes, and add a couple of more players in FA.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Brian who? Robison? What is his cap hit? I would like to see some of the "utility" type players signed too... Like Sherels (I know he was recently signed but with CP gone we need to make sure our STs don't get neglected), and also someone like Linval.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

latavius Murray underwent ankle surgery

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... 2%A0%C2%A0
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:According to Spot Trac we currently are sitting at $16,796,834 in cap space. Throw in the $5,000,000 needed for draft picks and we currently are left with $11,796,834 in cap room.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/cap/

Hopefully we can restructure Brian, sign Rhodes, and add a couple of more players in FA.
What they need to do is extend Sam and lower his cap hit the first 1-2 years.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

RFIP wrote: What they need to do is extend Sam and lower his cap hit the first 1-2 years.
I wonder if they are working on something for Bradford.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Word around the Internet, from multiple sources, says long time Vikings defensive end and all around good guy Brian Robison has signed a one year extension.

The extension was more of a way to spread out guaranteed money, as his contract now goes to $7.5 million over two years, with $5.5 million guaranteed. And as Ben Goessling also reports in the link above, the re-work now gives the Vikings $18 million in cap space, way more than enough to sign one or two more free agents, along with their upcoming draft picks.
via daily norseman
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Brain Robison, DE, Vikings
Field Yates of ESPN is reporting that Vikings DE Brian Robison has signed a one-year extension with the Vikings.

According to Yates, Robison will now make a base value of $7.5 million over two years and gets $5.15 million guaranteed as part of this new extension.

Robison’s base salary drops from $5.3 million to $3.9 million fully guaranteed to go along with a $100,000 workout bonus. The Vikings have eliminated his $200,000 in per-game roster bonuses.

As for 2018, Robison will make a base salary of $3.2 million with $1.25 million of this figure guaranteed. He’ll also make $200,000 in per-game roster bonuses and has a $100,000 workout bonus.
Source: ESPN
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Smart move. Save us some $ this year. Plus, to be honest, for an older DE, he played pretty darn well last year. Gotta love B-Rob
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Smart move. Save us some $ this year. Plus, to be honest, for an older DE, he played pretty darn well last year. Gotta love B-Rob
Agreed. He's a master of the strip sack and offers versatility by being able to move into DT on passing downs.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

S197 wrote: Agreed. He's a master of the strip sack and offers versatility by being able to move into DT on passing downs.
Yeah exactly. I must say, he's never been a cornerstone type player, but he's been quite consistent getting to the Quarterback and is a great leader to have on this team
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Scott Crichton, DE, FA

Minnesota has waived former 3rd pick Scott Crichton.

Source: CBS

Our track record with 3rd rounders continues its impressive streak.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Scott Crichton, DE, FA

This was a brutal pick, I wonder what the deal with him was, he never really made it on the field even preseason it felt like he was very sparse.

The Vikings haven't had very many 3rd round picks recently, and the others they have, are great (Hunter) to average (McKinnon) I would say. The only other 3rd round pick since 2010 was Josh Robinson, which is an interesting trend considering the Vikings have two 3rds this year. Spielman may pull yet another trade up.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Scott Crichton, DE, FA

You might want to review other rounds as well. We simply haven't been very good. Before anyone jumps up and waves Griffen and a couple of others in my face, I can name some notable misses recently. We need to hit on more of these late rounders like we were able to do with Diggs.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

YikesVikes wrote:You might want to review other rounds as well. We simply haven't been very good. Before anyone jumps up and waves Griffen and a couple of others in my face, I can name some notable misses recently. We need to hit on more of these late rounders like we were able to do with Diggs.
I agree. Heck, they need to hit on more picks, period. In terms of impact over time, if you look at Spielman's drafts over the past 6 years the results aren't very impressive, especially outside of the first round. 2015 looks like it may be the exception with Waynes, Kendricks, Hunter and Diggs all looking like players who may have a future with the team beyond their rookie contracts. Of course, it's too soon to tell.