View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Trade Sharif Floyd? 
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post Trade Sharif Floyd?
http://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/2/27/ ... rrif-floyd

Quote:
The Redskins and Raiders both need immediate help for their defenses as they try to help out their high-powered offenses. Both made aggressive moves in free agency last offseason. An NFL team's analytics director thought Seattle also could make sense for Floyd, who was chosen 23rd overall in 2013. The Seahawks do own three third-round picks, giving them ample ammo, but they also have other needs and lots of money already invested in their defensive core.

Quote:
Floyd is going into the option year of his rookie contract, and is scheduled to make $6.75 million this coming season. Nobody really knows what happened with Floyd last season. He played in the season-opening victory over the Tennessee Titans, had what was called a routine knee scope. . .and then proceeded to be inactive for the next twelve games before the team (finally) placed him on injured reserve in mid-December.

What do you all think?

Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:07 pm
Starter

Post Re: Trade Sharif Floyd?
I would.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:19 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I don't think we would get much for him but I would trade him anyway. Good riddance.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:25 pm
All Pro Elite Player

I'd be shocked if we could get anything above a late late 3rd for him.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:20 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Doesn't sound like anybody would miss Sharif. There have been times I've been really excited about him, but he always seems to drift back from those high points and play very unispired for stretches. Add the nagging injuries and he'll be a tricky player to figure in free agency.

Would you all favor cutting him outright for the cap savings if he can't be traded?

Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:20 pm
All Pro Elite Player

If we was going to trade someone my thoughts would be .
Floyd , Griffin or Rudolph.

I would think that Shurmur could come up with a tight end somewhere.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:35 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

My thing with Floyd, and I've said this before, is that he's good when healthy. Rudy was the same way and guys wanted to give up on him but you never hear anything like that now. I don't think we should trade him to be honest. He's the type of guy that could make an impact for another team if were to let him go. I say we hold onto him another year. And draft someone in the middle rounds to put behind him or sign a guy for insurance.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:25 pm
Hall of Famer

I think he was over rated, even when healthy. He was playing to literally one of the best defensive players in the NFL. Joseph demanded so much attention sometimes Floyd looked better then he was. I wouldnt miss him. Means we need another DT though.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:00 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

This was to be his breakout season IMO, but the knee injury derailed him. It might be premature to move him. Also, if he underperforms this season they can get a quality rotational player who knows the system for relatively cheap, freeing up funds to pay other players on the defense.

There are several FA DL available in the market this year, but I suspect the Vikings have bigger needs on Offense.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:16 am
Commissioner

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
My thing with Floyd, and I've said this before, is that he's good when healthy. Rudy was the same way and guys wanted to give up on him but you never hear anything like that now. I don't think we should trade him to be honest. He's the type of guy that could make an impact for another team if were to let him go. I say we hold onto him another year. And draft someone in the middle rounds to put behind him or sign a guy for insurance.

I agree. Floyd is a good DT when healthy. I say give him another year.

He also can help stop the run, which this D needs to do better.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:27 am
Defensive Tackle

fiestavike wrote:
http://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/2/27/14758896/espn-vikings-trade-sharrif-floyd

Quote:
The Redskins and Raiders both need immediate help for their defenses as they try to help out their high-powered offenses. Both made aggressive moves in free agency last offseason. An NFL team's analytics director thought Seattle also could make sense for Floyd, who was chosen 23rd overall in 2013. The Seahawks do own three third-round picks, giving them ample ammo, but they also have other needs and lots of money already invested in their defensive core.

Quote:
Floyd is going into the option year of his rookie contract, and is scheduled to make $6.75 million this coming season. Nobody really knows what happened with Floyd last season. He played in the season-opening victory over the Tennessee Titans, had what was called a routine knee scope. . .and then proceeded to be inactive for the next twelve games before the team (finally) placed him on injured reserve in mid-December.

What do you all think?

I think my answer depends on the answer to the question implied above: why did Floyd miss nearly all of last season?

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:34 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
I think he was over rated, even when healthy. He was playing to literally one of the best defensive players in the NFL. Joseph demanded so much attention sometimes Floyd looked better then he was. I wouldnt miss him. Means we need another DT though.

76 tackles, 7 sacks, 6 stuffs in the last 2 seasons he played. Doesnt sound very overrated if you ask me. I dont care who was next to him. No less Floyd had to play out of position last year for how many games because Joseph was hurt? Like I said, he is very similar to Rudy. When healthy he's an impact player. He's still on his rookie contract so I think it's pointless to let him go right now. Give him at least another year. No need to create another hole. Just put depth behind him

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:40 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

fiestavike wrote:
Doesn't sound like anybody would miss Sharif. There have been times I've been really excited about him, but he always seems to drift back from those high points and play very unispired for stretches. Add the nagging injuries and he'll be a tricky player to figure in free agency.

Would you all favor cutting him outright for the cap savings if he can't be traded?

Personally I would cut him if we couldn't find a trade partner. Would like to see more of Stephen anyway.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:59 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
http://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/2/27/14758896/espn-vikings-trade-sharrif-floyd

Quote:

Quote:

What do you all think?

I think my answer depends on the answer to the question implied above: why did Floyd miss nearly all of last season?

Exactly, and judging by Zimmer's explicitly stated frustration... there's likely an issue there.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:12 pm
All Pro Elite Player

@mattvensel
As a deadline nears, it looks like Sharrif Floyd will be sticking around in 2017. strib.mn/2lcpq0S
6:49 AM - 1 Mar 2017
As deadline nears, it looks like Sharrif Floyd will be sticking with Vikings
According to a league source, if Floyd can’t pass a physical by March 9, then his contract's injury guarantee comes into play, locking him in at $6.8 million for 2017.
Star Tribune @StarTribune

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:34 pm
Career Elite Player

Keep him.

I don't want him next year, but something tells me he plays really well in a contract year. Let somebody else overpay him next year and get the compensatory pick.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:26 pm
Career Elite Player

halfgiz wrote:
@mattvensel
As a deadline nears, it looks like Sharrif Floyd will be sticking around in 2017. strib.mn/2lcpq0S
According to a league source, if Floyd can’t pass a physical by March 9, then his contract's injury guarantee comes into play, locking him in at $6.8 million for 2017.

Obviously we don't know the truth.....but on the surface it seems like Floyd has a good lawyer/agent and really knows how to milk the system. Wouldn't be shocked if he spends next year on IR and just collects his $6.8M

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:56 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

autobon7 wrote:
fiestavike wrote:

Personally I would cut him if we couldn't find a trade partner. Would like to see more of Stephen anyway.

I disagree. We saw a lot of Stephen this year and he was pretty average. Floyd is a much better player.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:52 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

I think I would still like to give him another shot this year but thats just me

Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:53 pm
All Pro Elite Player

VikingPaul73 wrote:
halfgiz wrote:
@mattvensel

Obviously we don't know the truth.....but on the surface it seems like Floyd has a good lawyer/agent and really knows how to milk the system. Wouldn't be shocked if he spends next year on IR and just collects his $6.8M

He obviously has something more going on with his knee, that he is rehabbing. And I agree it sounds like he is working the system.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]