Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings

Post by Mothman »

First we had Rick Spielman diving deep into OL research to come to the obvious conclusion that offensive linemen drafted early are more likely to be successful. Now we have this:

http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-viki ... ar-vikings
At the end of last season, Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said the team's fall from a 5-0 start to an 8-8 record would lead him into a period of "soul-searching" as he tried to pinpoint what went wrong.

"I met with a lot of people this offseason, a number of head coaches, talked to them about how I can do things better," he said Friday.

The upshot of that stretch of self-examination, apparently, is that the Vikings need to be tougher.

Zimmer said he plans to set a more exacting standard in his fourth season, returning to the way he'd coached at the start of his tenure in Minnesota. The Vikings went 11-5 and won the NFC North in 2015, but saw their 5-0 record dissolve in a tempest of injuries, confounding performances and late-game losses in 2016.

"Going into last season, part of my whole goal was, I thought we had a pretty good football team and I wanted to make sure we got to the first game healthy," Zimmer said. "And so maybe I was a little bit cautious in some of the things. We're going to get back to being the Vikings. We're going to be blue-collar, and we're going to do the things that got us to be, where we played teams, that they respected the way we played."
I don't find this particularlyencouraging and I'm hoping it's just because the press is putting a simplistic spin on things. I hope Zimmer realizes the Vikings need to do a lot more than just get tougher. They need to play smarter.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Zimmer wants tougher practices for 'blue-collar' Vikings

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote:First we had Rick Spielman diving deep into OL research to come to the obvious conclusion that offensive linemen drafted early are more likely to be successful. Now we have this:

http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-viki ... ar-vikings
I don't find this particularlyencouraging and I'm hoping it's just because the press is putting a simplistic spin on things. I hope Zimmer realizes the Vikings need to do a lot more than just get tougher. They need to play smarter.
And coach smarter.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Hey Zimmer the 1950s called and they want their coaching philosophy back :smilevike:
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

SHAZAM!!!!!
Yay! We gonna be sum tough sumbitches now! Sgt. Carter is cracking the whip! Whoop whoop.
:lol: :slice:
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

:lol: at the Sgt. Carter reference!
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Mothman wrote::lol: at the Sgt. Carter reference!
I just couldn't help it when as soon as I read that Sgt. Carter popped into my head. "Okay Boone, MOVE IT, MOVE IT, MOVE IT!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

CbusVikesFan wrote: I just couldn't help it when as soon as I read that Sgt. Carter popped into my head. "Okay Boone, MOVE IT, MOVE IT, MOVE IT!
Zimmer even has the haircut!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Didn't some people wonder if the hard practices, training etc were part of the reason for the injuries and players wearing down as the season went on?
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Mothman wrote: Zimmer even has the haircut!
Spielman plays the role of "Duke".
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I hate this old school bullcrap.
Hard practice wont create talent, it wont make fail OL picks smarter or larger or faster.
Its all just smoke and mirror bull to satisfy the masses.

What we need is for the GM to do his damn job and get some top shelf talent to compete with the best teams in the league

What we need is a Head Coach who can prove he is more then just a really good Defensive Coach who gotta a lucky break and knows how to run an offense.

We need a Real WR threat who is a #1 receiver before the season starts.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:I don't find this particularly encouraging and I'm hoping it's just because the press is putting a simplistic spin on things. I hope Zimmer realizes the Vikings need to do a lot more than just get tougher. They need to play smarter.
It most certainly isn't encouraging because it brings back memories of Brad Childress' methodology.

The Vikings need to fix some talent gaps, especially in the OL, and play and coach smarter.
Demi wrote:Didn't some people wonder if the hard practices, training etc were part of the reason for the injuries and players wearing down as the season went on?
Yes. Good point.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

chicagopurple wrote:I hate this old school bullcrap.
Hard practice wont create talent, it wont make fail OL picks smarter or larger or faster.
Its all just smoke and mirror bull to satisfy the masses.

What we need is for the GM to do his damn job and get some top shelf talent to compete with the best teams in the league

What we need is a Head Coach who can prove he is more then just a really good Defensive Coach who gotta a lucky break and knows how to run an offense.

We need a Real WR threat who is a #1 receiver before the season starts.
Tell us how WE really feel. :beerock:
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Playing/coaching smarter and having tougher practices are not mutually exclusive. Seems like a bit of an offseason fluff piece not worthwhile to get all up in arms over.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

In general I agree with SI97.

However... rolling in the mud...

One might have a different take and interpret this as Zimmer saying that as a coach last year he wasn't his best. I do no think such an interpretation is a reach. Whether one agrees with his prescription to fix the issues or not, you have to be happy that he is at least acknowledging that he needs to be better.

I do not recall Childress ever displaying any amount of humility, FWIW.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

mansquatch wrote:In general I agree with SI97.

However... rolling in the mud...

One might have a different take and interpret this as Zimmer saying that as a coach last year he wasn't his best. I do no think such an interpretation is a reach. Whether one agrees with his prescription to fix the issues or not, you have to be happy that he is at least acknowledging that he needs to be better.

I do not recall Childress ever displaying any amount of humility, FWIW.
Zimmer gets a couple of mulligans with me. With his wife passing away and then his trouble with his eyes would lead anyone to distraction.
And who the heck is Childress? :confused: :D