View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Peterson headed to free agency 
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post Re: Peterson headed to free agency
Now that he has a new team, how long before he starts saying bad things about the Vikings organization?

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:40 am
Defensive Tackle

720pete wrote:
Now that he has a new team, how long before he starts saying bad things about the Vikings organization?

Hopefully, he won't... and hopefully they won't either. It would be nice if this parting of ways could stay on friendly terms.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:42 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Mothman wrote:
720pete wrote:

Hopefully, he won't... and hopefully they won't either. It would be nice if this parting of ways could stay on friendly terms.

I agree but he has a history of putting his foot in his mouth (i.e. NFL football is "like modern day slavery"). Hopefully he will remember that the Minnesota Vikings gave him hundreds of millions of dollars to play for them.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:54 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

720pete wrote:

I doubt he'll say anything about the organization, but I fully expect him to speak negatively of the climate and perhaps the culture of MN. At the very least, he'll note that he feels more "at home" in the gulf region, which is no biggie in my book.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:54 am
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
720pete wrote:

I doubt he'll say anything about the organization, but I fully expect him to speak negatively of the climate and perhaps the culture of MN. At the very least, he'll note that he feels more "at home" in the gulf region, which is no biggie in my book.

It might even prove to be true since he's from the south in the first place.

I see Pete's concern though. AD has put his foot in his mouth more than once over the years.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:00 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:
720pete wrote:

It might even prove to be true since he's from the south in the first place.

I see Pete's concern though. AD has put his foot in his mouth more than once over the years.

Not just the south, he's from Palestine, TX, but considers Houston home, which is the next major city west of NO on the Gulf. Lots of Katrina folks ended up in Houston and the two share some cultural similarities.

AD has certainly not been smart about what he says. That's one of my lasting memories of him.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:19 am
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
Not just the south, he's from Palestine, TX, but considers Houston home, which is the next major city west of NO on the Gulf. Lots of Katrina folks ended up in Houston and the two share some cultural similarities.

Thanks for that reminder. For some reason, when it comes to Houston, my geography always goes out the window. I conflate it's location with San Antonio and inevitably end up thinking it's much further west than it's actual location.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:28 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

PurpleMustReign wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:
What's the single game rushing record?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

You know what most people forget about that game is this. Chester Taylor had 60 yards rushing and T. Jackson had 19. The Chargers couldn't stop anyone that night.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:45 am
Starting Wide Receiver

Raptorman wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:
What's the single game rushing record?

You know what most people forget about that game is this. Chester Taylor had 60 yards rushing and T. Jackson had 19. The Chargers couldn't stop anyone that night.

Didn't Peterson have only like 50 yards at halftime?
Plus, remember Jackson was injured early. He could have had a much higher number too.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

It was like 43 in the first half. 104 in the third quarter and 140+ in the fourth.

http://pfref.com/tiny/MGiML

Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:43 pm
Defensive Tackle

For those of you still interested, AD spoke to the media yesterday about signing with the Saints:

http://www.startribune.com/peterson-sco ... 421091363/

Quote:
Peterson said he had productive meetings with New England and Seattle and had penciled in meetings with other teams after the draft, but decided he would be happiest in New Orleans — even though the Saints, led by quarterback Drew Brees, boasted the NFL's top passing offense last season and also have incumbent starting running back Mark Ingram on the roster.

"Ultimately, what it came down to for me was the comfort level I had when I visited here in New Orleans — just the feel that I had for the city and the organization," Peterson said.

"I could have easily said, 'You know what? I'll wait 'till the draft and take these other couple visits.' ... I could've went that route, but ultimately, in my heart, in my soul, in my spirit, playing for the Saints is what felt right."

Peterson added that he's eager to work with Ingram to improve the Saints' running game.

"I am going to put my arm around that guy and teach him all I can teach him. We are going to do this thing together," Peterson said. "Obviously, I know what type of offense New Orleans runs and it has kind of been that way for years now, and there has always been multiple backs in their system. I knew what I was getting myself into and I am comfortable with that."

Wed May 03, 2017 6:54 am
Career Elite Player

Adrian Peterson aiming for big night against Vikings
Quote:
“I can let them know (that) when I was doing that talking, telling them, ‘Hey, I’ll hit you guys for 150 or 200 yards,’ that I wasn’t just talking,” he said. “They’ll see.”

When first asked about facing the Vikings, Peterson joked, “Revenge.”

Thu May 04, 2017 8:08 pm
Commissioner

720pete wrote:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/04/adrian-peterson-wants-to-show-vikings-defenders-what-he-can-do-to-them/

Quote:
Adrian Peterson wants to show Vikings defenders what he can do to them

Quote:
“It’s going to be fun to go against those guys so I can let them know [when] I was doing that talking, telling them, ‘Hey, I’ll hit you guys for 150 or 200 yards,’ that I wasn’t just talking,” Peterson told the Saints’ official website, via ESPN.com. “They’ll see.”

The threshold question is how much anyone will see Peterson on the field during that game. Mark Ingram is the starter; while Peterson perhaps quietly adds “for now” to that title, it’s not his call as to which guy sits atop the depth chart. Peterson also could be pinched from below by rookie third-rounder Alvin Kamara.

For now, Peterson isn’t focused on those details. He’s simply focused on Week One.

“It’s going to be exciting,” Peterson said, joking that “revenge” is part of his motivation. “You know, it’s just ironic. When the schedule came out and I saw that, I was like, ‘Wow, this is meant to be.’ So many great memories down there in Minnesota. Great fan base. They supported me through everything, throughout my career, so just to embrace the love once I get there will be exciting.”

Good to see he's still worried about the "I" and not the team. :roll:

Irony? Meant to be? So many great memories down there in Minnesota? Down from where?

:deadhorse:

Thu May 04, 2017 8:09 pm
Hall of Famer

Same ole AD. No Class. But man, could he ever run.

Fri May 05, 2017 5:22 am
Hall of Famer

Demi wrote:
720pete wrote:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/04/adrian-peterson-wants-to-show-vikings-defenders-what-he-can-do-to-them/

Quote:
Adrian Peterson wants to show Vikings defenders what he can do to them

Quote:
“It’s going to be fun to go against those guys so I can let them know [when] I was doing that talking, telling them, ‘Hey, I’ll hit you guys for 150 or 200 yards,’ that I wasn’t just talking,” Peterson told the Saints’ official website, via ESPN.com. “They’ll see.”

The threshold question is how much anyone will see Peterson on the field during that game. Mark Ingram is the starter; while Peterson perhaps quietly adds “for now” to that title, it’s not his call as to which guy sits atop the depth chart. Peterson also could be pinched from below by rookie third-rounder Alvin Kamara.

For now, Peterson isn’t focused on those details. He’s simply focused on Week One.

“It’s going to be exciting,” Peterson said, joking that “revenge” is part of his motivation. “You know, it’s just ironic. When the schedule came out and I saw that, I was like, ‘Wow, this is meant to be.’ So many great memories down there in Minnesota. Great fan base. They supported me through everything, throughout my career, so just to embrace the love once I get there will be exciting.”

Good to see he's still worried about the "I" and not the team. :roll:

Irony? Meant to be? So many great memories down there in Minnesota? Down from where?

:deadhorse:

I wouldnt be surprized if Mixon showed his color very soon. I hope i am right. Its a long long time.

Fri May 05, 2017 5:26 am
Hall of Famer

Revenge for giving him so much money, and hoping the the stick holds together. Try and make Moss look like Wright?

Fri May 05, 2017 5:29 am
Defensive Tackle

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Revenge for giving him so much money, and hoping the the stick holds together. Try and make Moss look like Wright?

Every article I saw about the interview made it clear he was joking when he made that comment about revenge.

Fri May 05, 2017 6:12 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:

Every article I saw about the interview made it clear he was joking when he made that comment about revenge.

You know, I couldn't tell in the article I read until a little after the comments. He definitely said this stuff just goofing around.

Fri May 05, 2017 6:56 am
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
Mothman wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:

You know, I couldn't tell in the article I read until a little after the comments. He definitely said this stuff just goofing around.

Yes, which is as it should be. :) I hope he and his former teammates on the Vikings keep any rivalry between them before, during and after the season opener in the spirit of fun. It shouldn't get ugly and hopefully, it won't.

Fri May 05, 2017 7:43 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:

Yes, which is as it should be. :) I hope he and his former teammates on the Vikings keep any rivalry between them before, during and after the season opener in the spirit of fun. It shouldn't get ugly and hopefully, it won't.

Exactly.

This article illustrated to me just how easily it is to be misled by an written article based on a face-to-face interview. So much contextual information can be lost when it's put down on the page, like tone, humor, etc. Just another communication challenge for a generation that already struggles with processing and articulating information clearly and accurately. Sigh.

Fri May 05, 2017 8:05 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

@Tex lol
Do you even meme...bro?
-
I feel ya there.
Written/syntax language is a sophisticated construct...much like music theory, IMO.
It becomes a cunningly subtle prison for most, concreting superficial indentities based on 'style' rather than substance.
-
The old testament story about the tower of Babel suggests we once had a common language. I feel it exsits and that it's based on tenor and tones....adherence to universal harmonics and such.
I believe we will rediscover it outta necessity.
-
uuumm....how bout them cowboys?

Fri May 05, 2017 8:22 am
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
Exactly.

This article illustrated to me just how easily it is to be misled by an written article based on a face-to-face interview. So much contextual information can be lost when it's put down on the page, like tone, humor, etc. Just another communication challenge for a generation that already struggles with processing and articulating information clearly and accurately. Sigh.

I understand that sigh!

Nunin wrote:
@Tex lol
Do you even meme...bro?
-
I feel ya there.
Written/syntax language is a sophisticated construct...much like music theory, IMO.
It becomes a cunningly subtle prison for most, concreting superficial indentities based on 'style' rather than substance.
-
The old testament story about the tower of Babel suggests we once had a common language. I feel it exsits and that it's based on tenor and tones....adherence to universal harmonics and such.
-

:lol:

It's the offseason. A brief diversion into the limitations of communicating exclusively by the written word seems permissible, especially on a board where I imagine many of us feel the pain of those limitations all too often. A little inflection and body language can go a long way!

Fri May 05, 2017 8:32 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

@Jim
Offseason? pfft.....watchu talkin bout..Willis?
-
I hear there is an article coming out today about Spielman's morning coffee ritual.
Rumor has it that he is going to switch to puehr tea soon. That could be huge!
-
Seriously...maybe
I find, over the years, that communication and understanding throuh the online medium requires specific senstivities to be developed. I have to get a feel for people in a different way. Which is why I relate it to music theory.
It actually helps me be more tuned in during face to face encounters.
-
Mostly I find alot of dispassionate communication taking place online. People not really wishing or seeking understanding but rather sounding off, venting or spouting opinions....which is cool IMO....all part of the bigger song.
-
This board is unique in that way, to me, at least for football fanatics. Several skilled communicators spend time here... and that helps me connect to the deeper significance of why I enjoy sports in the first place. One group of brothers coming together in the most intellgent, cunning way possible to artfully stomp the crap out of the other group ;)
Poetry in motion?

Fri May 05, 2017 8:59 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Nunin wrote:
@Tex lol
Do you even meme...bro?
-
I feel ya there.
-
-

I swear, Nunin, you remind me of Breeze. Are you his reincarnation?

I do, indeed, sound like a curmudgeon. There's a reason for that. :lol:

The tower of babel is a great myth, but I am suspicious of theories of any sort of universal language in a literal sense. Maybe on a spiritual level. Maybe music theory or pythagoras' ideas regarding maths as universal language... but even native speakers of one single language nowadays can't even understand one another.

The Cowboys suck balls, by the way, just because they are the Cowboys. 8)

Fri May 05, 2017 2:56 pm
Fenrir

That's going to be a very interesting game with a lot of mixed emotions. I'm hoping I don't see too many obnoxious Saints fans in Peterson jerseys. I dislike the Packers more but honestly their fan base is really cool. I can imagine that not being the case with the Saints. Hope they prove me wrong.

Fri May 05, 2017 3:15 pm
Defensive Tackle

S197 wrote:
That's going to be a very interesting game with a lot of mixed emotions. I'm hoping I don't see too many obnoxious Saints fans in Peterson jerseys. I dislike the Packers more but honestly their fan base is really cool. I can imagine that not being the case with the Saints. Hope they prove me wrong.

Every fan base seems to have it's bad characters. My experiences with Saints fans have all been positive. I'm sure there are some obnoxious Saints fans too but hopefully, you wont run into them.

Fri May 05, 2017 3:27 pm
Commissioner

Mothman wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:

Joking compared to what? There are plenty of players who don't even mention their former teams. Or avoid questions even when they are asked. He does neither.And then expounds on it, joking of course!

How can anyone who's followed this guy for a DECADE honestly give him the benefit of the doubt in this situation? He isn't savvy enough to handle an interviewer like that.

And revenge for what? The team not pushing harder after the NFL stepped in when he whipped his son and public opinion went against him. And then not making up for any losses he suffered when he returned. The entire time he played the victim, and expected the team to react like he was the victim.

hashtag:joking?

Fri May 05, 2017 8:19 pm
Defensive Tackle

Demi wrote:
Joking compared to what?

Just joking... you know, that thing normal human beings with a sense if humor do all the time? That.

It was literally characterized that way in the press by those who heard him speak.

Fri May 05, 2017 8:53 pm
Commissioner

Mothman wrote:
Demi wrote:
Joking compared to what?

Just joking... you know, that thing normal human beings with a sense if humor do all the time? That.

It was literally characterized that way in the press by those who heard him speak.

I wonder how many of them listened to him speak for the last ten years.
I think he's being given too much credit...

Fri May 05, 2017 9:13 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Demi wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Demi wrote:
Joking compared to what?

I wonder how many of them listened to him speak for the last ten years.
I think he's being given too much credit...

I get it, Adrian is anything but subtle. But Jim's point is spot on: the tone of the interview was in jest.

Do I think AD is half joking, half serious? Possibly. Do I think he'll come out and play extra hard because it is against us? Definitely. Not because he's felt slighted by the MN Vikings, just because of ego, and the whole world will be watching. At least, those that give a rip about this silly sport we follow.

Sat May 06, 2017 6:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next