View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 O-line changes have begun -- Vikes release Fusco, Harris 
Hall of Famer

Post O-line changes have begun -- Vikes release Fusco, Harris
Posted February 10.

Vikings.com wrote:
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — The Vikings on Friday announced the release of offensive linemen Brandon Fusco and Mike Harris.

Quote:
After missing all but three games in 2014, Fusco started all 16 games at left guard in 2015. He moved back to right guard in 2016, when he made 13 starts.

Quote:
[Harris] started all 16 games at right guard in 2015, but missed all of 2016 because of a non-football illness. Harris totaled 21 starts in 28 regular-season games in Minnesota.

We'll see where this all leads.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:50 pm
Career Elite Player

Post Re: O-line changes have begun -- Vikes release Fusco, Harris
Fusco - good riddance

Harris - I feel bad for the guy, hope he's OK

Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:20 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

This leads me to believe they are either going to push sirles inside or strongly pursue one of the free agent guards.

Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:09 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

MrPurplenGold wrote:
This leads me to believe they are either going to push sirles inside or strongly pursue one of the free agent guards.

My guess? The latter as PLAN A and the former as PLAN B.

Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:56 am
Veteran

MrPurplenGold wrote:

I heard they were going to make a run at Pats Sebastian Vollmer (RT).

Would be a nice addition IF (yep) he can stay healthy.

Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:09 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

There has recently been rumors saying we are linked to Wagner now as well. Wasnt a very reliable site but who knows

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:59 pm
All Pro Elite Player

was sick all weekend so I didnt check this site, surprised at the lack of response here. I guess its fatigue of chronic failure. Hopefully this is just the first step in flushing the toilet that IS our OL. How is Kalil not gone yet? Clemmings is circling the drain......

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:16 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

chicagopurple wrote:
was sick all weekend so I didnt check this site, surprised at the lack of response here. I guess its fatigue of chronic failure. Hopefully this is just the first step in flushing the toilet that IS our OL. How is Kalil not gone yet? Clemmings is circling the drain......

Kalil is a free agent at the start of the new league year. So technically he's still on our team. Hence why he didnt gone yet. Even though I think they should look to keep him

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:31 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Ugh...

Whether we like it or not, we are in sate of "In Rick we trust". If you count Kalil as a FA and consider both backups at Tackle as questionable (at best), the current starting OL is:

LT: ? or Rashod Hill
LG: Boone
C: Berger/Easton
RG: ?
RT: ? or Sirles

That list of starters is not exactly confidence inspiring, then again it wasn't fabulous in 2016 either.

It is possible that these moves had to do with bloated contracts / unwillingness by the two released players to renegotiate?

Questions / Opinions:
This sure seems like a set up for the team to go for broke in Free Agency
Can they reliably replace three positions in free agency in a single off season?
I think Hill or Sirles will be playing as a starter in 2017
I wonder how much of the cuts at RG had to do with the belief that the current players were so bad that they could be easily replaced?

It is going to be an interesting off season leading up to the draft...

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:47 am
Defensive Tackle

mansquatch wrote:
Ugh...

Whether we like it or not, we are in sate of "In Rick we trust".

Yikes. Maybe it's time for the Vikings to stop trusting Rick.

Quote:
Questions / Opinions:
This sure seems like a set up for the team to go for broke in Free Agency
Can they reliably replace three positions in free agency in a single off season?

That's extremely doubtful.

Quote:
I wonder how much of the cuts at RG had to do with the belief that the current players were so bad that they could be easily replaced?

In Fusco's case, I think that's probably how they viewed it. Harris' release may have had to do with whatever kept him out last season.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:59 am
All Pro Elite Player

God, I pray Spielman pull a rabbit out of his arse! I would be greatly in favor of trading one of our promising your WR for Ol help.....

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:09 pm
All Pro Elite Player

This leads me to believe that they are confident they have, in their mind, "locked down" at least one free agent upgrade through back channels.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:53 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

IrishViking wrote:
This leads me to believe that they are confident they have, in their mind, "locked down" at least one free agent upgrade through back channels.

Agreed. Cutting two guards makes me think it could be Zeitler. But we need more help at tackle and guards are easier to find. Maybe it's Wagner. The guard market is pretty strong though. I just want FA to get here!!! Lol

Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:14 pm
All Pro Elite Player

I think Wagner is going to draw a lot of intrest and could get a contract close to 10 million.
They could go with a center and go with Berger at guard if he plays this year.
FA should be fun watching.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:01 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

halfgiz wrote:
I think Wagner is going to draw a lot of intrest and could get a contract close to 10 million.

There aren't many centers out there. I would love Pat Elfein or Ethan Pocic in the draft. Both can play guard/center. Wagners contract is completely up in the air

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:55 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
halfgiz wrote:

There aren't many centers out there. I would love Pat Elfein or Ethan Pocic in the draft. Both can play guard/center. Wagners contract is completely up in the air

Lane Johnson's yearly salary is $11,252,000....with all the people going after Wagner look for him to be in that range.

The NYJ, Denver Broncos, LA Rams, Seattle, Raiders, Carolina, NYG, Browns, Chargers and the Vikings have all been somewhat linked to having intrest.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:47 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

I'm rather cool on them grabbing a high priced Guard. Even if they get the top guy in FA, if they do not improve their situation at Tackle it will not matter all that much. The high end guard isn't going to help against edge rushers and he isn't going to offset to the disaster that will likely ensue if TJ Clemmings (or similar disaster) starts again.

This is just arm chair speculation, but I think they released Fusco/Harris because they felt that most of the free agent market, even the 2nd and 3rd tier guys, would be a net improvement.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:42 am
All Pro Elite Player

Clemmings and Kalil also need to be kicked to the curb.....Kalil has leached off this teams payroll long enough and Clemmings is just a tackling dummy on a sled going perpetually backwards.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:11 am
All Pro Elite Player

chicagopurple wrote:
Clemmings and Kalil also need to be kicked to the curb.....Kalil has leached off this teams payroll long enough and Clemmings is just a tackling dummy on a sled going perpetually backwards.

I mean, Clemmings probably. Kalil though is actually a passable tackle... I know, I know, you want all world talent, the greatest line in history. 5 players who will be the measuring stick against which all other future Olinemen will be judged. But sometimes, the 20th best tackle in the league can get it done. Replacing Kalil with a statistical improvement is borderline impossible this season, it would shoot the Vikings in the foot to bail on him. If we moves on we will be WEAKER at that position barring a miracle

Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:26 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

mansquatch wrote:
I'm rather cool on them grabbing a high priced Guard. Even if they get the top guy in FA, if they do not improve their situation at Tackle it will not matter all that much. The high end guard isn't going to help against edge rushers and he isn't going to offset to the disaster that will likely ensue if TJ Clemmings (or similar disaster) starts again.

This is just arm chair speculation, but I think they released Fusco/Harris because they felt that most of the free agent market, even the 2nd and 3rd tier guys, would be a net improvement.

Well that's why I'd rather have Wagner. It's much easier to find guards than tackles and we have no first. If we're ok with paying a guy like Zeitler 8 mill then I'd rather throw Wagner $10 mill instead just because the position is harder to come by. I wouldn't be upset with Zeitler at all but what worries me is that we would have a very solid interior and probably questionable tackles.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:32 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

IrishViking wrote:
chicagopurple wrote:

I mean, Clemmings probably. Kalil though is actually a passable tackle... I know, I know, you want all world talent, the greatest line in history. 5 players who will be the measuring stick against which all other future Olinemen will be judged. But sometimes, the 20th best tackle in the league can get it done. Replacing Kalil with a statistical improvement is borderline impossible this season, it would shoot the Vikings in the foot to bail on him. If we moves on we will be WEAKER at that position barring a miracle

Yes!! Someone explained it much better than I could lol. This is 100% the exact reason I want to hold onto Kalil. See if we can get like a 2 year deal out of him and draft a tackle high to sit behind him or possibly start if he flops. That's far and away the best option for LT IMO. Keep Kalil and draft a LT with our 2nd

Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:34 am
Starting Wide Receiver

I would still rather have a wet brick over Kalil. Clemmings is baf too don't get me wrong but at least his on field attitude is better than Kalil and he will help up the QB when he allowed a sack. Kalil would just walk away like he was mad at the QB for not getting out of the way.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
All Pro Elite Player

get real, Kalil is 1- poor at his position, 2- perfected the ability to commit critical penalties at critical moments, 3- certain to spend half the season on IR collecting yet another unearned paycheck....get over it, he is a parasite at this point and brings nothing good to the table.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:40 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

IrishViking wrote:
chicagopurple wrote:

Yes!! Someone explained it much better than I could lol. This is 100% the exact reason I want to hold onto Kalil. See if we can get like a 2 year deal out of him and draft a tackle high to sit behind him or possibly start if he flops. That's far and away the best option for LT IMO. Keep Kalil and draft a LT with our 2nd

If they can find someone better I'm all for it, but I agree with your view. The guy they need might not be out there, and what is out there might be marginally better but substantially cap unfriendly. Injuries are the major concern though. Kalil will be a waste no matter what we pay him if he can't play 16 games and old #68 starts taking snaps.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:44 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

chicagopurple wrote:
get real, Kalil is 1- poor at his position, 2- perfected the ability to commit critical penalties at critical moments, 3- certain to spend half the season on IR collecting yet another unearned paycheck....get over it, he is a parasite at this point and brings nothing good to the table.

Kalil leaves a lot to be desired that is for sure, but if the choice is between Kalil and #68, I choose Kalil every single time. Kalil might be below average, but Clemmings is the saboteur. More Below Average please.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:53 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

mansquatch wrote:
chicagopurple wrote:

Kalil leaves a lot to be desired that is for sure, but if the choice is between Kalil and #68, I choose Kalil every single time. Kalil might be below average, but Clemmings is the saboteur. More Below Average please.

I get it... I really do... but I really soured on Kalil after 2015. I am sure they will bring him back, but I would really not shed a tear if they didn't.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Inductee

chicagopurple wrote:

Then please name me a better option that won't cost a fortune?? Any ideas? Because everyone is pretty much stumped when it comes to this. Kalil is nowhere near as bad as Clemmings. Like zero comparison. And this is the first season he's ever missed legitimate time so I'm not sure why its so certain he lands on IR.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:47 pm
All Pro Elite Player

chicagopurple wrote:

Then please name me a better option that won't cost a fortune?? Any ideas? Because everyone is pretty much stumped when it comes to this. Kalil is nowhere near as bad as Clemmings. Like zero comparison. And this is the first season he's ever missed legitimate time so I'm not sure why its so certain he lands on IR.

Seconded. I am ALL for moving on if you can find me a STATISTICALLY better player at his position. Not just better because he isn't named Kalil.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:14 am
Defensive Tackle

IrishViking wrote:
Seconded. I am ALL for moving on if you can find me a STATISTICALLY better player at his position. Not just better because he isn't named Kalil.

Reliable O-line stats are hard to find.

There seems to be an underlying assumption here that the Vikings can just choose to re-sign Kalil on their own favorable terms. However, if the Bengals re-sign 35 year old LT Andrew Whitworth, Kalil could end up being the top free agent left tackle available, or at least one of them. That might be hard for Vikes fans to comprehend but the market is thin because teams rarely let good left tackles get away. It's no longer up to the Vikings alone to decide if they want to "move on" from Kalil. He can decide if he wants to return and he can also decide if he's willing to accept a potential contract offer from the Vikes before free agency begins or if he wants to field offers.

As for potential alternatives in free agency: there's Reiff (who I think is better-suited to the right side) or they could roll the dice on Redskins backup and restricted free agent, Ty Nsekhe, who performed well when asked to start last year.

This brings me back to the question I was asking about Wagner in another thread: how much is too much? If Kalil IS the best option, what should they be willing to pay him and for how long?

Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:53 am
All Pro Elite Player

I feel it is SPielmans responsibility to find some servicable guys in the draft. They dont need to be future ProBowlers. A few just need to be Healthy (Kalil is not and never will be) baseline players which would be far better then Kalil or Clemmings. Not every draft pick at OL has to be a homerun. If we think there is no way that Spielman and his staff can find a guy to replace this position then he is a failure by definition.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 173 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next