View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 2017 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes, etc) 
Fenrir

Post Re: 2017 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes,
808vikingsfan wrote:

Actually, his dad was a regular contributor in the scout.com forum a while back. He was real down to earth and answered questions as best he could. Never got into arguments and just let people voice their opinions of his son good or bad. Seemed like a real cool guy.

That's pretty cool. I've only been to that forum a handful of times but things can get pretty rough over there, glad to hear he has thick skin.

Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:30 pm
Backup

Richard Sherman is on the trade block...anyone interested? Would you give up a 2nd this year and 2nd next year to get him? He has 2 years left on his contract.

Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:31 pm
Fenrir

cmoss84 wrote:
Richard Sherman is on the trade block...anyone interested? Would you give up a 2nd this year and 2nd next year to get him? He has 2 years left on his contract.

Nope. I would focus on getting Rhodes inked to a long term deal. He and Waynes will make a good tandem I think. We have enough invested in the corner position, I don't think the Vikings have the luxury to give up two 2nds for Sherman (plus pay his contract).

Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:20 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

S197 wrote:
cmoss84 wrote:

Nope. I would focus on getting Rhodes inked to a long term deal. He and Waynes will make a good tandem I think. We have enough invested in the corner position, I don't think the Vikings have the luxury to give up two 2nds for Sherman (plus pay his contract).

I agree. Maybe if they still had their first rounder, but you'd be going into this draft without a pick in the first two rounds. Not a good move when you desperately need OL and WR help.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Inductee

I'd want nothing to do with Sherman. We don't need him and I was never a fan of his to begin with.

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:17 pm
Starter

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
I'd want nothing to do with Sherman. We don't need him and I was never a fan of his to begin with.

Why aren't you a fan. It's tempting to bring in that level of talent but not realistic as the cost to do so would cripple the team. We already have a QB problem that I doubt the GMs planned for. As a result, we are going to lose a couple of pretty good players in the next few years.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:45 am
All Pro Elite Player

@eric_j_thompson
3h
Old friend John Sullivan signed with the #Rams, who are obviously trying to start the world's oldest offensive line.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:53 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

S197 wrote:
cmoss84 wrote:

Agree.....would be a huge mistake imho. Need to concentrate on the OL, DT, QB, LB.....too many other needs

Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:05 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

halfgiz wrote:
@eric_j_thompson
3h
Old friend John Sullivan signed with the #Rams, who are obviously trying to start the world's oldest offensive line.

Old man strength is a real thing. Assuming they are healthy, I don't think its a bad strategy for building an OL!

Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:32 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

YikesVikes wrote:

Why aren't you a fan. It's tempting to bring in that level of talent but not realistic as the cost to do so would cripple the team. We already have a QB problem that I doubt the GMs planned for. As a result, we are going to lose a couple of pretty good players in the next few years.

He's a big mouth. Getting old. No need for him. Cost too much. Anything else?

And we have a QB problem? And who are we losing??

Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:14 pm
All Pro Elite Player

@ProFootballTalk
4h
Report: Seahawks looking for a player and a high draft pick for Richard Sherman.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:25 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

halfgiz wrote:
@ProFootballTalk
4h
Report: Seahawks looking for a player and a high draft pick for Richard Sherman.

Exactly. Yeah no thanks

Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:33 pm
Fenrir

halfgiz wrote:
@ProFootballTalk
4h

Clemmings and a 3rd! :twisted:

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:00 pm
All Pro Elite Player

S197 wrote:
halfgiz wrote:
@ProFootballTalk
4h

Brilliant :rock:

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:48 pm
All Pro Elite Player

The Fake ESPN
@TheFakeESPN
Apr 5
Breaking: Tony Romo injured his vocal chords in a broadcast simulation and will miss the first 4 games of the season.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:17 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

halfgiz wrote:
The Fake ESPN
@TheFakeESPN
Apr 5
Breaking: Tony Romo injured his vocal chords in a broadcast simulation and will miss the first 4 games of the season.

Lmao

Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pro Bowl Elite Player

S197 wrote:
halfgiz wrote:
@ProFootballTalk
4h

Now I would get behind that idea :thumbsup: lol

Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:31 am
Starter

YikesVikes wrote:

He's a big mouth. Getting old. No need for him. Cost too much. Anything else?

And we have a QB problem? And who are we losing??

Yes we have a QB issue the GM didn't plan for. Unless you think losing your starter and having to bring in a more expensive replacement was ideal. The Qb issue can be quickly identified as such...

2016) TB was set to make approx 2 million last season. We had to trade for Sam and his salary last season. We were only on the hook for 7 million dollars but that 7 million dollars and the injuries to the oline, really prevented us from signing anyone during the season (remember all the cap juggling we had to to do get Jake Long on board).

2017) TB is under contract for 2017 at 2.18 million; a low figure. Sam is under contract for 17 million. Again 17 million that we would normally have to extend contracts OR **Roll over to the following year as unused cap**. We also have to make a 5th-year decision on TB in may. Sam will also need an extension and may believe that he is worth 17 million or more a season from us. Lets say we extend him this year and give him 20 million a year starting in 2018.

2018) We picked up Teddy's 5th year which should pay him north of 12 million. In total, we have 32 million tied up in the QB position. Not including project players and backups. I would call this a problem.

Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:58 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

YikesVikes wrote:

Yes we have a QB issue the GM didn't plan for. Unless you think losing your starter and having to bring in a more expensive replacement was ideal. The Qb issue can be quickly identified as such...

2016) TB was set to make approx 2 million last season. We had to trade for Sam and his salary last season. We were only on the hook for 7 million dollars but that 7 million dollars and the injuries to the oline, really prevented us from signing anyone during the season (remember all the cap juggling we had to to do get Jake Long on board).

2017) TB is under contract for 2017 at 2.18 million; a low figure. Sam is under contract for 17 million. Again 17 million that we would normally have to extend contracts OR **Roll over to the following year as unused cap**. We also have to make a 5th-year decision on TB in may. Sam will also need an extension and may believe that he is worth 17 million or more a season from us. Lets say we extend him this year and give him 20 million a year starting in 2018.

2018) We picked up Teddy's 5th year which should pay him north of 12 million. In total, we have 32 million tied up in the QB position. Not including project players and backups. I would call this a problem.

I highly doubt we pick up TBs option. And we will have to extend a good QB in Bradford. You're making it way more complicated than it actually is. This whole 17 million thing really has you all torn up. We STILL have cap room to extend Rhodes. No worries

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:50 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I highly doubt we pick up TBs option. And we will have to extend a good QB in Bradford. You're making it way more complicated than it actually is. This whole 17 million thing really has you all torn up. We STILL have cap room to extend Rhodes. No worries

I agree with Pounding Her Percy on this.....I just don't see us picking up TBs option. Wouldn't be smart imho

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:13 am
Starter

YikesVikes wrote:

Rhodes is the only young player that we have coming up to extend?
At the end of 2017,
Diggs, Kendricks, Hunter would all have one year left on their deals.

As would Griffen, Joesph, Barr
That's a lot of peso holmes!

I don't think the Vikes will just let TB go. They will extend him (it cost them nothing to cut him before 2018).

Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:09 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

YikesVikes wrote:
YikesVikes wrote:

Rhodes is the only young player that we have coming up to extend?
At the end of 2017,
Diggs, Kendricks, Hunter would all have one year left on their deals.

As would Griffen, Joesph, Barr
That's a lot of peso holmes!

I don't think the Vikes will just let TB go. They will extend him (it cost them nothing to cut him before 2018).

I'm referring to who we have to extend this year. I know what's coming up after that. You can't predict anything after that until next offseason hits.

And they wouldn't be "cutting" Teddy. They just wouldn't pick up his option. There is no point if he can't recover

Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:45 am
Starting Wide Receiver

When do they have to decide on Teddy?

Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:55 am
Profile YIM WWW
Defensive Tackle

PurpleMustReign wrote:

They have to decide by May 3rd.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:45 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:

options...
a)let teddy walk
b)pick up the option
c)sign him to a 2 year deal cheaper than the option

Am I missing any options? What would you do?

Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:04 am
Defensive Tackle

fiestavike wrote:
Mothman wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:

options...
a)let teddy walk
b)pick up the option
c)sign him to a 2 year deal cheaper than the option

Am I missing any options? What would you do?

It's obviously a difficult situation.

I think 5th year options are guaranteed against injury but I don't know how that applies to pre-existing injuries. If picking up his option next month essentially locks the Vikings into paying him $11 or $12 million next season, I'd pass on the option. I don't think it would be wise to make that financial commitment without knowing if he can come back from this injury and be an effective QB.

On the other hand, if the option isn't guaranteed, there's little financial risk in picking it up.

I don't think I'd commit to an extension without knowing more about his recovery.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:51 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:

It's obviously a difficult situation.

I think 5th year options are guaranteed against injury but I don't know how that applies to pre-existing injuries. If picking up his option next month essentially locks the Vikings into paying him $11 or $12 million next season, I'd pass on the option. I don't think it would be wise to make that financial commitment without knowing if he can come back from this injury and be an effective QB.

On the other hand, if the option isn't guaranteed, there's little financial risk in picking it up.

I don't think I'd commit to an extension without knowing more about his recovery.

I'd do the extension at the right price. Teddy isn't in position to sign a big contract. *he doesn't even have a leg to stand on!* Ha ha.

I would think that just being rostered and getting the medical care would be worth a lot to him. A two year extension at 2 mil a year fully guaranteed would be a win win, but who know what his agent would say.

Part of me hopes he walks and goes to Cleveland. I think what they are doing there with Hugh Jackson could be a good match, and I believe Teddy was their #1 ranked QB before they decided to draft Manziel at the last moment.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:01 am
Defensive Tackle

fiestavike wrote:
I'd do the extension at the right price. Teddy isn't in position to sign a big contract. *he doesn't even have a leg to stand on!* Ha ha.

*groan*

Quote:
I would think that just being rostered and getting the medical care would be worth a lot to him. A two year extension at 2 mil a year fully guaranteed would be a win win, but who know what his agent would say.

That's just it: a contract like that might make sense but I don't know if he'd go for it. Depending on how his recovery goes, it seems they might be able to sign him to a one or two year deal after the season for similar reasons. If he actually plays at some point in 2017 and looks really good, that would change the situation and could open up free agency options for him but if that doesn't happen, it's hard for me to imagine he'd get a big contract from another team.

Quote:
Part of me hopes he walks and goes to Cleveland. I think what they are doing there with Hugh Jackson could be a good match, and I believe Teddy was their #1 ranked QB before they decided to draft Manziel at the last moment.

Considering Cleveland's history since returning to the league, I'm not sure id wish that fate on any QB. ;)

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:14 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:

Considering Cleveland's history since returning to the league, I'm not sure id wish that fate on any QB. ;)

I'm optimistic on Cleveland for the first time in my life. Actually, I think Cleveland is closer to a superbowl victory than the vikings :gone:

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:23 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote:
Mothman wrote:

I'm optimistic on Cleveland for the first time in my life. Actually, I think Cleveland is closer to a superbowl victory than the vikings :gone:

lol because they have a good offensive line? They literally have nothing else. Like zero. No less nobody wants to play there :lol:

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next