2017 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: 2017 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes,

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Just to get a good laugh, Matt Kalil is currently ranked 61st out of 72 qualifiers according to PFF. Riley Reiff is ranked 18th and Mike Remmers is ranked 19th. :shock:

So maybe finally, the "Spielman doesnt know what he's doing" stuff could actually stop for once.

Reiff got a 5 year $58.5 mill deal
Remmers got a 5 year $30 mill deal

Matt Kalil got a 5 year 55 mill deal [emoji38] [emoji38]
Let's let it play out for a season first. Spiel an did draft Kalil, remember...

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Let's let it play out for a season first. Spiel an did draft Kalil, remember...

I think people will believe in Spielman once he builds a team. He's been with the Vikings forever, as VP of PP or GM. I want to be dominant like GB, Pats, Pit, etc. Im sick of being average to below. I dont care if other teams are, I want the Vikes to be feared. I want titles, and eventually a SB win. Ricky doesnt have what it takes to do that IMHO. I know your opinion is different. Being in the middle doesnt make me happy. I like the years we were on top, and even then, we didnt get to the SB (while I watched the Vikes). And before you ask the tiresome question of what I would have done, I'm not a GM.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Just to get a good laugh, Matt Kalil is currently ranked 61st out of 72 qualifiers according to PFF. Riley Reiff is ranked 18th and Mike Remmers is ranked 19th. :shock:

So maybe finally, the "Spielman doesnt know what he's doing" stuff could actually stop for once.

Reiff got a 5 year $58.5 mill deal
Remmers got a 5 year $30 mill deal

Matt Kalil got a 5 year 55 mill deal :lol: :lol:
And isnt PFF almost completely unreliable? Like saying Rhodes is a bad CB, when in fact hes one of the best in the entire NFC? Or do you just pick and chose?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Let's let it play out for a season first. Spiel an did draft Kalil, remember...

And over and over again when people bring this up I ask, the big 3 outside of Luck and RGIII that year were Kalil, Blackmon and Claiborne. We had nothing at either of those positions. Who do you draft as a GM??? Either way, you picked a bust. So you can't fault Spielman there. And don't say you would've traded down because we all know those 3 were the cream of the crop that year going up to the draft. No less as sad as it sounds, Kalil was probably the best of the 3 and looked like Joe Thomas his rookie year. Matt Kalil made Matt Kalil bad. That wasn't on Rick Spielman
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote: I think people will believe in Spielman once he builds a team. He's been with the Vikings forever, as VP of PP or GM. I want to be dominant like GB, Pats, Pit, etc. Im sick of being average to below. I dont care if other teams are, I want the Vikes to be feared. I want titles, and eventually a SB win. Ricky doesnt have what it takes to do that IMHO. I know your opinion is different. Being in the middle doesnt make me happy. I like the years we were on top, and even then, we didnt get to the SB (while I watched the Vikes). And before you ask the tiresome question of what I would have done, I'm not a GM.
Hey I respect that though. It's your opinion. I've always been a Rick fan as you obviously know. I think he has this team pointing in the right direction either way. It's hard to sit there and say he doesn't to be honest. Out of any spot on this team the weakest link is probably the OL and they've been playing great so I'm just saying I think he deserves some credit here. After last season collapse, many wrote this team off especially with no first. For having no first, Rick did an EXCELLENT job this offseason IMO
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote: And isnt PFF almost completely unreliable? Like saying Rhodes is a bad CB, when in fact hes one of the best in the entire NFC? Or do you just pick and chose?
I mean it's not THAT reliable but Kalil has been awful in Carolina and Rieff has been awesome. Remmers is a middle man but either way they aren't far off
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I am asking this seriously, but why does Spielman get so much credit for signing a few players who have had three good gammes, but no blame for drafting a player who had three bad seasons? You lister tons of excuses for why he doesn't grt blame for drafting Kalil (and to be clear, Kalil is who I wanted and he looked like a steal even as a #3 pick), but in the end, Kalil sucked. We are three games into the season. Kalil played three seasons for us after his good rookie year. And, just with the WRs that you mentioned earlier, Spielman has been the GM for how many years, and has now finally, at least for three games, put some real talent on the OL. Remember, he extended Fusco, who never really was very good at anything.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:I am asking this seriously, but why does Spielman get so much credit for signing a few players who have had three good gammes, but no blame for drafting a player who had three bad seasons? You lister tons of excuses for why he doesn't grt blame for drafting Kalil (and to be clear, Kalil is who I wanted and he looked like a steal even as a #3 pick), but in the end, Kalil sucked. We are three games into the season. Kalil played three seasons for us after his good rookie year. And, just with the WRs that you mentioned earlier, Spielman has been the GM for how many years, and has now finally, at least for three games, put some real talent on the OL. Remember, he extended Fusco, who never really was very good at anything.

Fusco was a top guard according to PFF when he was resigned. He took a step back when he had the pec injury.

Again like I said, they aren't excuses. All 3 players that year were busts. Kalil, Claiborne and Blackmon. Matt Kalil was Matt Kalil's downfall. He was so good in college they moved Tryon Smith to the right side and had Kalil take left. He was a pro bowler his rookie year. Then injuries came into play and he turned into a head case. How is that on Rick Spielman?? Did Spielman have any control over his knee injuries?? Or had any idea those were going to happen?? He drafted a pro bowl LT. Kalil was his own downfall. It's not like he was always bad. He was very good and then turned bad because of injuries. No GM can avoid that. Kalil proved he was good in the beginning of his career. What Spielman did wasnt avoidable is what I'm saying. Claiborne was a bum and Blackmon was a head case. Kalil was easily the best most safe choice. Rick Spielman can't predict the future and know when a guy is going to get hurt and his career spiral downward.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Well someone on here called it. Trubisky is starting Monday night. Everyone knows I'm Mr. Positive but I dont see us winning this game. The wind got sucked right out of us with Cook going down and Bradford still being out. They have the #2 overall pick making his opening start. Going to be an ugly one unfortunately. No less it seems like we always play terrible at Soldier field. I sure hope I am wrong
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Damn, they got to you PHP? smh...snap out of it.

Vikings won't let this rookie beat them. Defense with a poor showing, in my opinion with tackling issues, but that's something Zim will make sure is corrected ASAP.

Vikings will roll again. Ebb and flow season, but they'll get the Bears and be ready for GB.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PacificNorseWest wrote:Damn, they got to you PHP? smh...snap out of it.

Vikings won't let this rookie beat them. Defense with a poor showing, in my opinion with tackling issues, but that's something Zim will make sure is corrected ASAP.

Vikings will roll again. Ebb and flow season, but they'll get the Bears and be ready for GB.
:lol: :lol: Nah what am I thinking??!! Vikings win 27-10 :rock:
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Just to throw this out there, the Vikings offensive line is ranked 11th in the NFL right now in pass block efficiency according to PFF.

And thats with having a QB that doesnt get the ball out nearly as quick as Bradford the last 3 weeks. Props to Spielman and Zim with reconstructing this OL.
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

video tweet (whatever it's called) of Bradford at practice

I know it's just one throw but it's not very encouraging.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014