2017 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: 2017 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes,

Post by Mothman »

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-gm-r ... 414660493/
Sam Bradford has already been named the Vikings starting quarterback for next season, but the future of the position beyond 2017 remains “in flux,” as General Manager Rick Spielman told a small group of reporters on Thursday.

“Everything is in flux right now,” Spielman said. “I’ll just leave it at that.”

Don’t look for Spielman to tip his hand, but a new deal for Sam Bradford could be on the horizon given the uncertainty of Teddy Bridgewater’s recovery and the effusive praise of the 29-year-old Bradford from both head coach Mike Zimmer and Spielman. Currently, the Vikings do not have a quarterback under contract for the 2018 season.

“I can tell you looking back on that trade with all the other options,” Spielman said, “I would do that over in a millisecond to get Sam Bradford on our football team with the circumstances we were dealing with.

“I think he’s just right now in the prime of his career.”
Adrian Peterson’s contract is nearing the March 8 expiration date unless the Vikings exercise a lofty $18 million option for next season. The sides have yet to convene, Spielman said.

“Until I talk to Adrian and talk to his agent, I’m not going to announce anything,” Spielman said. “But that will get addressed here before free agency starts.”
So where does that leave Kalil, the pending free agent, and the tackle-needy Vikings? Spielman didn’t get into specifics, but he sounded open to a reunion this offseason.

“We have a plan in place on everything,” Spielman said. “But I also know I have a pretty good history of trying to keep our own guys as well.”
Spielman expects linebacker Chad Greenway to make a formal announcement about his pending retirement before the beginning of free agency March 9.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

The compensatory picks just came out. Miami has a 3rd. So do we get Miami's actual 3rd or the compensatory one? I'm guessing it's their actual 3rd right?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:The compensatory picks just came out. Miami has a 3rd. So do we get Miami's actual 3rd or the compensatory one? I'm guessing it's their actual 3rd right?
Should be, I don't think compensatory picks can be traded. I know for sure they can't be traded during the draft.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

It will be sad to see Greenway retire, but he has definitely lost a step. He had a great career, and I hope he can stay involved with the Vikings in some manner.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: Should be, I don't think compensatory picks can be traded. I know for sure they can't be traded during the draft.
No there is a new rule now where they can be traded now. Thats why I was wondering
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: No there is a new rule now where they can be traded now. Thats why I was wondering
Even during the draft?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

@JasonColeBR
15h
Agents for RB Adrian Peterson, CB Terence Newman plan to meet with #Vikings next week to assess what the two sides will do going forward.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote: Even during the draft?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Yes
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

@Vikings
6m
The #Vikings will not exercise the 2017 option on Adrian Peterson's contract.

Which is no surprise.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

halfgiz wrote:@Vikings
6m
The #Vikings will not exercise the 2017 option on Adrian Peterson's contract.

Which is no surprise.
Well there is step 1 that we had to take. Lets hope we continue to make the correct moves
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

@mattvensel
As a deadline nears, it looks like Sharrif Floyd will be sticking around in 2017. strib.mn/2lcpq0S
6:49 AM - 1 Mar 2017
As deadline nears, it looks like Sharrif Floyd will be sticking with Vikings
According to a league source, if Floyd can’t pass a physical by March 9, then his contract's injury guarantee comes into play, locking him in at $6.8 million for 2017.
Star Tribune @StarTribune
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

halfgiz wrote:@mattvensel
As a deadline nears, it looks like Sharrif Floyd will be sticking around in 2017. strib.mn/2lcpq0S
6:49 AM - 1 Mar 2017
As deadline nears, it looks like Sharrif Floyd will be sticking with Vikings
According to a league source, if Floyd can’t pass a physical by March 9, then his contract's injury guarantee comes into play, locking him in at $6.8 million for 2017.
Star Tribune @StarTribune
See my thing is, if we save whatever money it is by letting him go, what good does it really do us this year?? We are nearing $40 mill in cap space so instead we would like like $43+? I'd rather just keep him and let him get a chance to get healthy. Everyone talks about how injury prone he is but if you think about it, he's missed 5 games in 3 years prior to this season. That doesnt really classify as injury prone. Rudy missed more games than that and we held onto him.

I just think Floyd could burn us and make us look like idiots if he went somewhere else. He's a good player. We just need to stay patient for another year.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:See my thing is, if we save whatever money it is by letting him go, what good does it really do us this year?? We are nearing $40 mill in cap space so instead we would like like $43+?

Floyd's 2017 cap hit is $6,757,000 so cutting him would add almost $7 million in additional cap space.

What good could it it do? Well, first and foremost, it depends on why he missed almost all of last season and what good he'll be able to do going forward. However, the Vikes aren't short of needs and they have some rising young players that need to be re-signed or have their contracts extended (Rhodes, for example). There's always a use for the money.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:

Floyd's 2017 cap hit is $6,757,000 so cutting him would add almost $7 million in additional cap space.

What good could it it do? Well, first and foremost, it depends on why he missed almost all of last season and what good he'll be able to do going forward. However, the Vikes aren't short of needs and they have some rising young players that need to be re-signed or have their contracts extended (Rhodes, for example). There's always a use for the money.
My fault I for some reason thought he was on his 4th year of his contract still and that would result in a dead money hit. It's been a long week :lol:
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:My fault I for some reason thought he was on his 4th year of his contract still and that would result in a dead money hit. It's been a long week :lol:
I understand. I'm having that kind of week too... plus, it doesn't seem like Floyd has been a Vikings for 4 years already!