2017 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 2017 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes,

Post by autobon7 »

[quote="halfgiz"]Looks like CJ Hamm could be our new fullback.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/5/8/1 ... ck-c-j-ham[/quote

If he can be effective I'd be all for it.......was never big on Line....at all.
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup

Post by SidestreamFB Pete »

autobon7 wrote:
Yeah, I don't know how I feel about this. It might just be the staff giving a practice-squad guy a better chance at the roster, while being able to give the other three RBs more practice reps. I'm pulling for him, but I really don't want to see a renaissance of the check-downs to a slow blocking back... aka every Asiata play. Granted, Ham seemed a lot more athletic than Asiata, but I'm assuming he's gonna to have to put on some weight to seriously take on a FB role.
Not easy being a Vikes fan and staying an "unbiased" creator of Sidestream Football. This is my therapy. SKOL.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I think he is just trying to enhance his chances of staying with the team.
But I don't really see use keeping 4 backs. Hopefully he could catch on with a team that is in need of a back, if he gets cut.
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup

halfgiz wrote:I think he is just trying to enhance his chances of staying with the team.
But I don't really see use keeping 4 backs. Hopefully he could catch on with a team that is in need of a back, if he gets cut.
A few teams could use a a stocky back like Ham. Lions, Bills have an opening, Colts; to name a few. He would be a solid depth player on most teams though.
Not easy being a Vikes fan and staying an "unbiased" creator of Sidestream Football. This is my therapy. SKOL.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I think, if Ham gets the muscle and weight on, he could make a good FB, both running and receiving, esp. with FB screens. I'm over Mckinnon. 100%. Time to give Ham more reps, see how Murray and Cook like him.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I think, if Ham gets the muscle and weight on, he could make a good FB, both running and receiving, esp. with FB screens. I'm over Mckinnon. 100%. Time to give Ham more reps, see how Murray and Cook like him.
I'm not. McKinnon may not be an every-down workhorse but he's got moves and speed/explosion for days and is a huge mismatch vs. LBs. A competent/average O-line is needed to properly evaluate (According to Sporting Charts, only four running backs with more than 100 carries had a higher percentage of runs stuffed in the backfield) but I've been satisfied. He averaged 4.1 YPC over the last 6 games. I'm more excited about him than Murray. No way cede more carries to a less explosive player like Ham.

Big-boy run @ 0:59
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

J.R.‏
@JReidDraftScout

"Rodney Adams absolutely stood out to me at rookie camp. He caught everything.

Rodney Adams Highlights + Interview
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup

The thing that stood out to me in the latest Vikings.com rookie montages was how skinny Bucky Hodges looked. His combine weight was listed at near 260lbs, he does not look like 260lbs.

I think, he'd be better served as a red-zone WR or mismatch guy from the slot. His combine results were crazy, he's faster and more explosive than WR Mike Williams. Williams ran a "4.5" at his pro-day after not participating in the 40 at the combine, but non-Clemson employees clocked him in the high 4.5's - Hodges ran a 4.57. Hodges also had a higher vert and longer broad. Williams did not participate in cone drills, as a WR that could never separate from college DBs this is not surprising, as he fell into favour of the national media based mainly on the merit of jump-balls (because he was never really open).

Really low on Mike Williams if you can't tell. But! I think we got a better prospect than him with the 202nd (I think that's where we took him) pick. Hodges doesn't look like he has the frame to become a legit blocking TE and I hope they don't try to bulk him up too much in fear it may detract from his explosiveness. Hopefully the staff can make this distinction and not waste their time, or his, trying to turn him into something he is not.
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-lata ... 421887373/

More like: "the Wilfs have millions of reasons to go with the rookie stud".
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Vikings' Mike Zimmer to miss OTAs following eighth eye surgery
The Minnesota Vikings announced Monday that coach Mike Zimmer will not be with the team during OTAs, which begin this week, saying he will "be taking time away from the team to dedicate to recovering from eye surgery and restoring his health."

The Vikings will not have an acting head coach while Zimmer is out; he has split coaching duties among his coordinator's, and the staff will work as a group during the rest of the offseason program. Defensive line coach Andre Patterson will be in charge of making sure Zimmer's message continues to get across to the team.
"I just left the doctor's office, got really good news. The retina looks great and the pressure in my eye is really good. At this point now we just need to take it easy and make sure it continues to heal the right away."
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

My goodness. I hope his eyes get better soon. That must be a frustrating ordeal to go through.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:My goodness. I hope his eyes get better soon. That must be a frustrating ordeal to go through.
It sounds like a nightmare.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Highlights From OTA No. 1

Nice move by Adams at the end.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

808vikingsfan wrote:Highlights From OTA No. 1

Nice move by Adams at the end.
Hodges is faaaast. Cook has lightning feet.

Yey for slow-mo shorts hype vids I guess!
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »