View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread) 
Defensive Tackle

Post Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)
mansquatch wrote:
Jim, IMO the increase in PA in 2016 was a direct correlation to the terrible PF the team was producing over the same stretch. I suspect an interesting analysis to compare the 2016 team vs. the 2013 SEA club would be the amount of rushing snaps the two defenses faced. If I were to venture a guess, it would be that the 2016 Vikings saw quite a few more since they were constantly struggling against their own inept offense.

It's actually less. The 2016 Vikings faced 404 rushing attempts from their opponents. the 2013 Seahawks defense faced 422.

Quote:
The main take away I get is that offensive production affects defensive performance far more than the opposite since offensive production most often results in points while defensive production most often results in possessions.

Generally speaking, I think the influence of one unit on the other is pretty equal. Obviously, when the offense is bad in a game where the defense plays well that hurts the defense more and vice versa. I just mean that, all things being equal, the offense and defense of a team exert a similar degree of influence over one another in the NFL.

Quote:
In 2016 the vikings OL crippled the majority of our positions, significantly reducing the advantage we gained from our defense.

So shift this to our achilles heel in '16, the OL. TJ Clemmings AKA the Saboteur, hampered all by himself something like 40% of the drives he played on due to penalties and awful pass protection, 2016 That is a massive detriment to the team. I know guys are not that excited by Reif / Remmers, but they probably have the potential of reducing the OL sabotage by a massvie margin (over 50%) just by playing below average NFL football.

That should provide an improvement to our PF, which if you buy the above should also lead to an improvement in our Rush D and PA numbers.

I see your point but I'm not sure I can fully buy into it. I think the run defense had problems simply because the run defense has problems. I thought the PA numbers got worse after the bye because offenses figured out more effective ways to attack the defense, which had some clear areas of vulnerability. Now, if the offense can score more effectively next year, that certainly would take some pressure off the defense but I think the defense itself needs work if it's going to become the kind of elite unit that can carry the team to a championship, which seems to be what people are banking on...

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:20 pm
Hall of Famer

losperros wrote:
We'll have to agree to disagree, because I'm not budging on my view regarding replacing and/or adding depth to the entire OL. And yeah, it's realistic. It can't be done overnight but working on it now is far better than procrastination or ignoring the problem. That's another thing I won't waiver about. As I said, Reiff and Remmers are improvements. I hope the momentum continues and things get better. A lot better. As a fan, I'm in no mood for anything else. Not at this point, anyway.

We need to see how this group plays together before we can start throwing Pollyanna positives out there.

I am not satisfied. Riley is a good player and good person. I am happy he is on our team. I am not overly optimistic about Mike Remmers. Alex Boone needs to step up his play this season. Joe Berger is 34 years old and could easily take a step back. There is a huge hole at RG.

We will see how committed this team is to improving the offensive line next month during the draft. I fear we are going to take the same approach to the offensive line we always have: Drafting one or two middling prospects and hope they pan out.

We need to draft a tackle, a guard who is capable of playing this season, and a developmental center. If we don't, then it will be hard for me to say this team is committed to improving the offensive line.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:47 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

S197 wrote:
Wow Kapp, a Vikings and Cubs fan, talk about glutton for punishment. Are you a Sacramento Kings fan too?

Seriously though, glad you finally got to see your team win the pennant.

I'm guessing San Jose Sharks fan too.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

Im a Vikings and Knicks fan :(

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:35 pm
Transition Player

Dmizzle0 wrote:

You want a glutton...
I'm a Viking, Cubbie, Magic, Lightning, and Hawkeyes,
Born Iowan transplanted to Florida 25 years ago.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:53 pm
Veteran

IIsweet wrote:
Dmizzle0 wrote:

You want a glutton...
I'm a Viking, Cubbie, Magic, Lightning, and Hawkeyes,
Born Iowan transplanted to Florida 25 years ago.

At least you where able to see 3/5 of those teams play/win in championships games. I grew up in New Jersey but I'm here in North Dakota for a little bit. Its kinda weird being around a lot of Vikings fans when I'm used to being the only one.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:29 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

At least I've got the Spurs... :banana:

Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:50 am
Strong Safety

I wouldn't mind them bringing in Nick Mangold on a short term bonus filled deal

I think he can play Guard and center and even if we got 7-8 games out of him

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:35 am
Veteran

jackal wrote:

Makes too much sense to happen. Sign Nick and slide Berger to the RG spot. Draft Mixon in the 2nd and one of the top center/guard combos in the 3rd...
Or...
Trade our 2nd and late 3rd to move up and select Pat Elflein. He is capable of playing both guard and center (provides the flexibility that our GM loves). In the 3rd we select a back like Foreman (who I think is going to be fantastic).

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:30 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

YikesVikes wrote:
jackal wrote:

Makes too much sense to happen. Sign Nick and slide Berger to the RG spot. Draft Mixon in the 2nd and one of the top center/guard combos in the 3rd...
Or...
Trade our 2nd and late 3rd to move up and select Pat Elflein. He is capable of playing both guard and center (provides the flexibility that our GM loves). In the 3rd we select a back like Foreman (who I think is going to be fantastic).

I dont see us having to move up to get Elflein. He's not a projected first rounder.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:51 am
Fenrir

YikesVikes wrote:
jackal wrote:

Or...

I like Foreman as well. Would be a good complimentary back to McKinnon.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:36 pm
Veteran

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
YikesVikes wrote:
jackal wrote:

Or...

I dont see us having to move up to get Elflein. He's not a projected first rounder.

Well you know how projections go

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:46 pm
Veteran

Murray had ankle surgery today.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:48 pm
Strong Safety

I read the article and it sounded like Murray's issue will be 100 percent by camp

Murray is bigger than I thought 6'3 230 wow

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:08 pm
Hall of Famer

I wish we didnt have to keep McKinon. He has done nothing for us. I bet Murray is just as good at the plays McKinnon was supposed to be good at. Hill could fill that role too. And then draft a little bigger back to pound the ball when Murray needs a break.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:27 pm
Hall of Famer

jackal wrote:
I read the article and it sounded like Murray's issue will be 100 percent by camp

He's built a bit like AD. Or maybe its the number 28 throwing me off.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:28 pm
Transition Player

Murray is going to be just fine here. He is a big back out of UCF.
Not a ton of wiggle but good timing with OL blocking, plus can break a long one...
I like the Mangold idea, but not sure how much we can get out of Berger or him?
I would prefer OG Feeney, DT Adams, and then RB Mixon. With the 2 4th rd picks, I would trade back into the 3rd for Pocic.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:35 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
I wish we didnt have to keep McKinon. He has done nothing for us. I bet Murray is just as good at the plays McKinnon was supposed to be good at. Hill could fill that role too. And then draft a little bigger back to pound the ball when Murray needs a break.

Yeah but at the same time, he is a solid pass catching back that can help on 3rd downs. Plus he gives us kick return potential

Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:07 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

IIsweet wrote:
Murray is going to be just fine here. He is a big back out of UCF.
Not a ton of wiggle but good timing with OL blocking, plus can break a long one...
I like the Mangold idea, but not sure how much we can get out of Berger or him?
I would prefer OG Feeney, DT Adams, and then RB Mixon. With the 2 4th rd picks, I would trade back into the 3rd for Pocic.

I agree with all those pick ideas you have. Would love that draft.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:08 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

The Vikings have interest in free agent Rod Streater.
The Vikings haven't visited with Streater but are in the market for a speed receiver to replace Cordarrelle Patterson. The Colts, Seattle, Cleveland and the 49ers are also in the mix.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:54 pm
Career Elite Player

jackal wrote:

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:37 am
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:
Wow Kapp, a Vikings and Cubs fan, talk about glutton for punishment. Are you a Sacramento Kings fan too?

Seriously though, glad you finally got to see your team win the pennant.

It's really horrible.

Last year was the first time in my life that any team I've ever rooted for won a championship. I'm 56 years old. Waiting for championships is like dog years.

Oh and correction -- won the World Series. :rock:

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:43 am
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:
YikesVikes wrote:
jackal wrote:

Or...

And if he wore 44 ... it's 1975 again!

I say draft him.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:48 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

808vikingsfan wrote:
jackal wrote:

Haha....that pic looks like he is thinking....."I'm gunna take ur job soon" lol

Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:06 am
All Pro Elite Player

The Vikings haven't visited with Streater but are in the market for a speed receiver to replace Cordarrelle Patterson. The Colts, Seattle, Cleveland and the 49ers are also in the mix.

It's really too bad that we couldn't have drafted Shepard in later rounds. At least he was productive in his rookie year. I realize that he is not a speedster per se but seemed pretty solid to me. Diggs, Thielen, and Shepard would have made a nice trio.

Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:09 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

CbusVikesFan wrote:

It's really too bad that we couldn't have drafted Shepard in later rounds. At least he was productive in his rookie year. I realize that he is not a speedster per se but seemed pretty solid to me. Diggs, Thielen, and Shepard would have made a nice trio.

I still believe Treadwell can. You have to realize that two guys (Thielen and CP) came out of nowhere this year. When Treadwell was drafted, we had Diggs and that was it

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:46 am
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
S197 wrote:
YikesVikes wrote:
Or...

And if he wore 44 ... it's 1975 again!

I say draft him.

That'd be sweet!

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:29 pm
Hall of Famer

I think Mixon will be gone by our 3rd pick. So either we will have a lot invested in RB's again (Murray and Mixon) or we will have to find someone that wont be as high a pick as Mixon by the time our pick comes.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:42 pm
All Pro Elite Player

CbusVikesFan wrote:

I still believe Treadwell can. You have to realize that two guys (Thielen and CP) came out of nowhere this year. When Treadwell was drafted, we had Diggs and that was it

If Treadwell had/has the tools to be better than those guys he would have been out there. That's how I feel about it. He was the 11th pick in the draft for Pete's sake. Neither CP or AT are considered a number 1 wr even though Thielen played like one. CP has been here long enough to shine and didn't come close to expectations for where he was drafted. So you have to ask yourself was the pick worth the value. I say not until he proves me wrong, which my thoughts on Patterson were/are the same as Treadwell. Disappointed for sure.

Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter

Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:50 pm
Veteran

Treadwell will be fine. I have seen out front office miss on talent assessments and who is ready to play to often. I believe the kid just needs reps and game time to get acclimated.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next