2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5325
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:43 am

S197 wrote:Several talking heads on NFL.com seem to think Alshon would be a perfect fit for the Vikings. I'd take Brandon Marshall instead.
I'd take neither. As long as we hold onto Thielen, I don't see much need there except for a #4 spot. If CP walks, we gotta give Treadwell his shot to know what we have there. Putting Thielen and Treadwell on the outside and Diggs in the slot could be a dangerous trio. I'd like to get an Andrew Hawkins type guy for a #4. Or maybe a bigger WR like a Brian Quick. No need to touch Marshall or Jeffery. Both will want hefty contracts. Especially Jeffery. Waste of money IMO
0 x
Image

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5325
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:46 am

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I really like hunt too. He hits the hole, very fluid, and has that nice burst of speed when he needs it. I want to know how good he is at blocking, he seems to be a good receiving RB. If he can block too, id love to see if we could get him with our 3rd, even if we have to move up.
I agree. He's really starting to grow on me. He's like a David Johnson type. Good in a lot of areas, great size and can be a workhorse. And the best part is, he could fall due to going to Toledo. Similar to what Johnson did being at Northern Iowa. Him and Perine are at the top of my list right now. I pretty much eliminated Cook and Fournette. I could see Kamara possibly make it to us but we would have to use our 2nd for that. No way he gets to the third.
0 x
Image

User avatar
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6625
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by HardcoreVikesFan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:02 pm

Vikings Likely to Place 2nd Round Tender on Thielen

http://nfltraderumors.co/vikings-likely ... m-thielen/
Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press is reporting that the Vikings will most likely place a second-round tender on restricted free agent WR Adam Thielen.

The second-round tender will cost the Vikings $2.746 million for the 2017 season and net them a second-round pick if he receives an offer sheet from another team and they elect to pass on matching it.
0 x
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11323
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by S197 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:13 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I'd take neither. As long as we hold onto Thielen, I don't see much need there except for a #4 spot. If CP walks, we gotta give Treadwell his shot to know what we have there. Putting Thielen and Treadwell on the outside and Diggs in the slot could be a dangerous trio. I'd like to get an Andrew Hawkins type guy for a #4. Or maybe a bigger WR like a Brian Quick. No need to touch Marshall or Jeffery. Both will want hefty contracts. Especially Jeffery. Waste of money IMO
I don't know what Marshall will be asking but he's a 100 catch, 1,000 yard, 10+ TD receiver that I think would do well in Shurmurs offense. He played relatively poorly in a contract year so I'd be willing to buy low. Maybe Treadwell can be that guy but Marshall would be someone he could really learn from.

I'd be willing to let Patterson and Wright walk for him.
0 x

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18406
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by PurpleMustReign » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:57 pm

If they are cheap I would be ok with it. But cheap is like 6-7 miles per year.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5325
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:04 am

S197 wrote: I don't know what Marshall will be asking but he's a 100 catch, 1,000 yard, 10+ TD receiver that I think would do well in Shurmurs offense. He played relatively poorly in a contract year so I'd be willing to buy low. Maybe Treadwell can be that guy but Marshall would be someone he could really learn from.

I'd be willing to let Patterson and Wright walk for him.
Still wouldnt want him. At 33, I don't see any way he's a 100 catch, 1000 yard, 10 TD guy. Not sure where that is coming from. He's about half that in every category if you ask me. The guy is past his prime. No different than AD being the best RB in the league a year ago to doing what he did, or didnt do last year. Marshall was the same way and never even got hurt. I see no reason for us to sign him. Waste of money
0 x
Image

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11323
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by S197 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:19 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Still wouldnt want him. At 33, I don't see any way he's a 100 catch, 1000 yard, 10 TD guy. Not sure where that is coming from. He's about half that in every category if you ask me. The guy is past his prime. No different than AD being the best RB in the league a year ago to doing what he did, or didnt do last year. Marshall was the same way and never even got hurt. I see no reason for us to sign him. Waste of money
It's coming from a year ago. 109 receptions, 1500 yards, and 14 TDs. He has 8 seasons where he's had over 100 receptions. He had a down year, hence the buy low comment, but he's a possession and TD beast. If he can do it at 31 I don't see why he can't do it at 33. Guys like Fitz have done it at the same age.
0 x

User avatar
halfgiz
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1781
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by halfgiz » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:57 pm

Looks like Wagner is going to hit the Market.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/ ... nt-market/
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5325
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:52 pm

S197 wrote: It's coming from a year ago. 109 receptions, 1500 yards, and 14 TDs. He has 8 seasons where he's had over 100 receptions. He had a down year, hence the buy low comment, but he's a possession and TD beast. If he can do it at 31 I don't see why he can't do it at 33. Guys like Fitz have done it at the same age.
I just don't really see a necessity for it IMO
0 x
Image

User avatar
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2910
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Location: Missouri

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by DK Sweets » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:03 am

He's definitely still a huge talent but I wouldn't want him just because he already has one foot out the door with his media gig.

It might be just me, but I felt he was a bit too open about the Jets on Inside the NFL last year and I don't know that I want somebody who might view the other analysts as his team instead of the guys inside the locker room.

I would love to see him juggle the two obligations but I don't want to gamble on it.
0 x

User avatar
halfgiz
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1781
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by halfgiz » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:36 am

Vikings Free Agent WR/KR Specialist Cordarrelle Patterson is expected to get approximately $4M-$5M on the open market.

Kalil is supposedly meeting with the Vikings today....I really don't want to sign him. :steamed:
Rumor has it he wants guaranteed money.
0 x

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18406
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by PurpleMustReign » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:58 am

halfgiz wrote:Vikings Free Agent WR/KR Specialist Cordarrelle Patterson is expected to get approximately $4M-$5M on the open market.

Kalil is supposedly meeting with the Vikings today....I really don't want to sign him. :steamed:
Rumor has it he wants guaranteed money.
I think Patterson will be retained. I also think Peterson will be back eventually. And I would like to see then lock up Thielen. What defensive players are due for extensions?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5325
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:20 pm

PurpleMustReign wrote: I think Patterson will be retained. I also think Peterson will be back eventually. And I would like to see then lock up Thielen. What defensive players are due for extensions?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Rhodes. Which is a no-brainer
0 x
Image

User avatar
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6625
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by HardcoreVikesFan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:26 pm

Vikings Interested in Nick Mangold, Rick Wagner
The Vikings have expressed interest in Nick Mangold, but their top priority is a tackle like Ricky Wagner. - Darren Wolfson, 1500 ESPN
If you've been sleeping under a rock, you know that the Vikings have holes all over their offensive line, and both Mangold and Wagner would provide huge boosts. Wagner is third in our NFL Free Agent Offensive Tackle Prospect Rankings. -Walter

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors#cgoOddjI4Ybvq0UH.99
0 x
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.

User avatar
halfgiz
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1781
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by halfgiz » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:00 pm

Darren Wolfson
@ accurate that there are Kenny Britt fans at Winter Park. Find out later this week if they have strong interest.




@Andrew_Krammer
37m
Add LB Audie Cole to the list of #Vikings free agents expected to hit the open market this week. A return is still possible.



#Vikings have offered ERFA Zac Kerin, according to a source. Versatile interior OL sticking around as expected.


@GoesslingESPN
4h
The Vikings want to bring back Jeff Locke, who hits free agency Thursday, but several other teams are interested in the punter.

:rofl:
0 x

Post Reply