2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by halfgiz »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Vikings Interested in Nick Mangold, Rick Wagner
If we're looking at Nick Mangold. Does that mean Berger is leaning towards retirement?
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

ERFA Zac Kerin Signs Tender

Chris Tomasson reports that Vikings exclusive rights free agent C Zac Kerin will sign his one-year tender worth $615,000.
Pioneer Press

Also, mods (Cliff, Jim, S197, etc.), can we make a stickied signing thread for this year - like the one I had last year? It would just be easier to keep track of the signings as well as be a quick a concise way for all the board members to follow along (I could do it if a mod didn't want to do it). We would still keep this thread for rumors and discussion. :)

If not, that is cool too. Just a thought.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:ERFA Zac Kerin Signs Tender

Pioneer Press

Also, mods (Cliff, Jim, S197, etc.), can we make a stickied signing thread for this year - like the one I had last year? It would just be easier to keep track of the signings as well as be a quick a concise way for all the board members to follow along (I could do it if a mod didn't want to do it). We would still keep this thread for rumors and discussion. :)

If not, that is cool too. Just a thought.
I recall having a thread, can't remember if it was stickied or not but I don't have an issue with it. You can create one and one of us can sticky so long as you're up for editing as the signings come in.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Do Jerry Gray and Alterraun Verner have a history with the Titans? I seem to recall the vikings were players for him before. He's only 28 years old...I wonder if he might be a fit at Nickel shoudl the vikings let Captain go.

I think Stefen Wisniewski has a history with Sporano too. He is also 28.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mike Garafolo on @GMFB: "Ricky Wagner is about to blow the lid off the right tackle market." Says Vikings a possibility.
I know some might not be big on paying him big money but with how scarce the tackle position is and given his durability, I would in a heartbeat. We let Osemele go last year because of the price and he was a pro bowler this year. Guessing we dont want to make that mistake again.

Personally I dont want to get guys like Clady, Okung, etc. They are past their prime and cant stay healthy. This OL is never going to improve if we continue to go that route. We need some notable guys on this line to get us kick started. Wagner is one of them. Wagner has missed two games in his career. That's very rare in this league and one of our biggest problems was staying healthy on the OL last year. Pay the money to get this guy
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Some fun stuff for your consideration:

1. Offensive Linemen 28 and under with a PFF grade of 75+

T
Ricky Wagner

G
Zeitler
Andrew Norwell
Larry Warford
Ronald Leary
Austin Pasztor
Brian Winters
Patrick Omameh
Stefan Winiewski

C
J.C. Tretter
Ryan Groy
Joe Hawley

2. Offensive linemen 29+ with 75+ rating

T
Andrew Whitworth

G
T.J. Lang
John Jerry
Jarhi Evans

C
A.Q. Shipley
Nick Mangold
John Sullivan

3. Notable Offensive Linemen 28 and under, poor PFF ratings

T
Cameron Flemming
Marshall Newhouse
Riley Reiff
Mike Remmers
Tom Compton
Menelik Watson
Don Barclay
Kelvin Beachum

G
Jonathan Cooper
Luke Joeckel
Brian Schwenke
D.J. Fluke
Chance Warmack

C
NA
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Report: #Bears expected to pursue Cordarrelle Patterson #Vikings #NFLFreeAgency dailynorseman.com/2017/3/7/14842…
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I know some might not be big on paying him big money but with how scarce the tackle position is and given his durability, I would in a heartbeat. We let Osemele go last year because of the price and he was a pro bowler this year. Guessing we dont want to make that mistake again.

Personally I dont want to get guys like Clady, Okung, etc. They are past their prime and cant stay healthy. This OL is never going to improve if we continue to go that route. We need some notable guys on this line to get us kick started. Wagner is one of them. Wagner has missed two games in his career. That's very rare in this league and one of our biggest problems was staying healthy on the OL last year. Pay the money to get this guy
Big question is, what do you do at the other 4 positions? Berger might retire, Boone is going to cost 7+ million to keep next year and wasn't very good this year.

Scarcity at T is a real thing, but with this offense a stout G/C/G combo to preserve a pocket and a quick passing game is likely the plan anyway. Wagner is a good pass protector, but I don't think we'll see many 5-7 step drops next year, so is that where the ROI is going to be greatest?

What is your opinion of some of these mid tier guys like Pasztor, Winters, Omameh and Wisniewski? Are these guys that might be had for 2-3 million or will they get closer to 4-5?

Do you have any hope for "busts" like Fluker, Warmack or Menelik Watson? If they were cheap, I could see viewing them as extra draft picks. I think Sporano has connections with both Wisniewski (who is also a C) and Menelik Watson.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:Some fun stuff for your consideration:

1. Offensive Linemen 28 and under with a PFF grade of 75+

T
Ricky Wagner

G
Zeitler
Andrew Norwell
Larry Warford
Ronald Leary
Austin Pasztor
Brian Winters
Patrick Omameh
Stefan Winiewski

C
J.C. Tretter
Ryan Groy
Joe Hawley

2. Offensive linemen 29+ with 75+ rating

T
Andrew Whitworth

G
T.J. Lang
John Jerry
Jarhi Evans

C
A.Q. Shipley
Nick Mangold
John Sullivan

3. Notable Offensive Linemen 28 and under, poor PFF ratings

T
Cameron Flemming
Marshall Newhouse
Riley Reiff
Mike Remmers
Tom Compton
Menelik Watson
Don Barclay
Kelvin Beachum

G
Jonathan Cooper
Luke Joeckel
Brian Schwenke
D.J. Fluke
Chance Warmack

C
NA
This kind of goes back to what I am saying with Wagner. And even Omemeh. Why go sign these low end tackles and guards that have been horrible. The chances of them turning it around here are probably slim. Out of Wagner and Whitworth who would you honestly rather have?? A 35 year old that wants big money for a year or two or a 27 year old that wants big money but spread across 5 years, no less he's missed 2 games in his career.

If we go into FA "hoping" guys like Riley Reiff, Ryan Clady, Russell Okung, Chance Warmack, etc. will be good here, then we are just going to struggle again. Pay Wagner, sign Omemeh on the cheap and draft at least 2-3 OL. I would also bring Kalil back on a prove it deal if it's possible. Just because our LT options are scarce and hard to fix this year.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: This kind of goes back to what I am saying with Wagner. And even Omemeh. Why go sign these low end tackles and guards that have been horrible. The chances of them turning it around here are probably slim. Out of Wagner and Whitworth who would you honestly rather have?? A 35 year old that wants big money for a year or two or a 27 year old that wants big money but spread across 5 years, no less he's missed 2 games in his career.

If we go into FA "hoping" guys like Riley Reiff, Ryan Clady, Russell Okung, Chance Warmack, etc. will be good here, then we are just going to struggle again. Pay Wagner, sign Omemeh on the cheap and draft at least 2-3 OL. I would also bring Kalil back on a prove it deal if it's possible. Just because our LT options are scarce and hard to fix this year.
I agree with you about counting on guys like Clady, Okung, and Warmack (although I'm interested in Warmack at the right price). It would be a bad idea. I don't quite include Reiff in that list. I think with the right team (say GB) he would fit in very well. Stafford and the lions are a little problematic in terms of rating pass blocking, because they pass a lot and he doesn't use the pocket well. Then again, neither does Sam...I think he and Stafford have some similarities actually.

Anyway, I'm not sure I particularly want either Whitworth or Wagner for the price they are likely to command. I could see Boone and Sirles (or Kalil?) playing judo tackle effectively enough to run the shurmur offense if they can solidify the middle of the line.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/ ... d-lineman/
Pro Football Focus ranked Fluker, who started all 16 games in 2016, 54th of 72 guards, but he has played both tackle and guard during his time in San Diego. The Chargers picked up Fluker’s fifth-year option, which means he was due $8.8 million in 2017. Now he can be added to the list of potential linemen who will receive a phone call from the Minnesota Vikings.
interested in Fluker for the right price?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I'm probably one of the few people that is Leary of giving Wagner a huge contract.
2 years ago he had a poor season and then the last year of his contract he had a great year.

Kalil: I would be disappointed if we resign him to a big contract. He's a taker...what has he give to the Vikings the last 4 years besides subpar performance.
I would sooner see us land Zeitler to a contract.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

fiestavike wrote:http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/ ... d-lineman/
interested in Fluker for the right price?
Fluker is a slightly better Clemmings.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

halfgiz wrote: Fluker is a slightly better Clemmings.
Certainly some raw/clumsy technique, but he can put a much bigger dent in people than TJ :)

He would be something of a developmental player.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

halfgiz wrote:I'm probably one of the few people that is Leary of giving Wagner a huge contract.
2 years ago he had a poor season and then the last year of his contract he had a great year.

Kalil: I would be disappointed if we resign him to a big contract. He's a taker...what has he give to the Vikings the last 4 years besides subpar performance.
I would sooner see us land Zeitler to a contract.
Wagner has had more good seasons than bad. 2 years ago he slumped but he's been very solid outside of that. Referring to the year before that and last year.

As for Kalil, I would take him on a prove it deal but not on a big contract.

I would love Zeitler but I'm also hesitant about investing a lot of money at both guard positions but have tackles that cant walk and chew gum. Although as someone pointed out before, by getting Zeitler, we could let Boone walk next year. I just dont see how that is really improving the OL though. I want to keep guys together.

....I will say though, Zeitler is definitely the "safest" OL on the market so thats whats so intriguing about him
-Chazz Palminteri