2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by Crax »

Sounds like the door is completely closed on Adrian Peterson Era now. Tweet from the Vikings Offical twitter quoting Spielman
Minnesota Vikings‏Verified account @Vikings 1m1 minute ago

"With us signing (Latavius) Murray, Adrian will move on elsewhere." - GM Rick Spielman
Chris Tomasson‏ @christomasson 5m5 minutes ago

Rick spielman declined to say if Adrian Peterson ever was made an offer
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Crax wrote:Sounds like the door is completely closed on Adrian Peterson Era now. Tweet from the Vikings Offical twitter quoting Spielman

I doubt they ever proffered an offer. I'm guessing they just decided to move on.

Bummer. :( I hate to see Peterson's time with the Vikings end like this but it's not surprising. I hope he signs with a good team and has a healthy, highly productive season.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I don't see it that way.

Shoring up the O-line, or at least attempting to shore it up, gives SB more time to throw downfield. Signing Latavius Murray means they're trying to throw more to backs out of the backfield, allowing receivers to run deeper routes. Throwing to backs isn't dink and dunk. It's a substitute for the power running game.
Aw, come on! Those passes are either dinks or dunks. They must fit into one of those categories! :tongue:

I see what you're saying. IF they go downfield frequently enough and use the short passing game like a running game, they wouldn't necessarily be a "dink and dunk" offense.
And re-signing Adam Thielen is a big step. Now, I fully realize that some idiot Packer fans (including at least one on this board, who shall remain nameless) laugh when I compare Adam Thielen to Jordy Nelson before Jordy Nelson became Jordy Nelson, but I don't see it as a stretch at all. He's tall, fast, and tough. He's had to work his butt off for everything he's ever gotten, and he's never had the luxury of having Aaron Rodgers throwing to him. I believe Adam Thielen -- not Stefon Diggs -- emerges as the Vikings' true deep threat in 2017. You heard it here first.
You may be right but I think he has quite a bit more work to do before emerging as a threat on the level of Jordy Nelson. That's not to say he cant get there. I understand your point about his stage of development. I think he's already emerged as the team's primary deep threat and not to take anything away from Thielen but to me, that indicates they could use a more threatening one. However, if he continues to develop and reaches Nelson's level, they'll have it.
And we're not done with free agency. Or the draft.

Hang in there. I know we're Vikings fans, and it may actually be against the law, but have a little optimism! :)
I'll admit, it's in short supply for me when it comes to the offense. It feels like their sights are firmly set on offensive mediocrity but as you indicated, the offseason is far from over.
FrenchVikes
Waterboy

Post by FrenchVikes »

Mothman wrote:
I doubt they ever proffered an offer. I'm guessing they just decided to move on.

Bummer. :( I hate to see Peterson's time with the Vikings end like this but it's not surprising. I hope he signs with a good team and has a healthy, highly productive season.
I hate it too man, he should retire in a Vikings uniform...but for the moment we don't know what will happen next.
If he signs somewhere else, i just hope that he will not be in our division (i just can't imagine him in a Packers uniform :puke: ahah...)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

FrenchVikes wrote:I hate it too man, he should retire in a Vikings uniform...but for the moment we don't know what will happen next.
If he signs somewhere else, i just hope that he will not be in our division (i just can't imagine him in a Packers uniform :puke: ahah...)
Nobody seems to know where he'll end up but the Lions have been mentioned as a potential landing spot for peterson. The price would be a key there because, if I'm not mistaken, Detroit has spent quite a bit in free agency already.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

808vikingsfan wrote:

I agree. If someone falls like that, I don't think they have a choice. But would you still take Perine in round 3?
Yes 100%
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I don't like much of what we have done this offseason outside of signing Riley.

I am not a fan of giving Latavius Murray 3 million dollars. Datone Jones doesn't deserve 3.75 million. Mike Remmers definitely does not deserve 30 million dollars.

But sure, we can let a great nickel corner go, a HOF HB go, and an All Pro playmaker go - no big deal apparently. SMH.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I don't like much of what we have done this offseason outside of signing Riley.

I am not a fan of giving Latavius Murray 3 million dollars. Datone Jones doesn't deserve 3.75 million. Mike Remmers definitely does not deserve 30 million dollars.

But sure, we can let a great nickel corner go, a HOF HB go, and an All Pro playmaker go - no big deal apparently. SMH.
Remmers only gets 30 mil if he is good enough to play out the entirety of his contract.

Munnerlyn I think is the only significant loss. AP is on the wrong side of 30 and coming off a torn meniscus at a position that the NFL as a whole has devalued, in particular when he is one dimensional. Patterson was an all pro kick returner, that's it. Apparently no one else in the league viewed him as a anything other than that either. My guess is his career will be similar to Devin hester
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I don't like much of what we have done this offseason outside of signing Riley.

A HOF RB that's well past his prime and a one dimensional back. I said we should've traded him back with the whole child abuse thing. It was time to move on
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote:I see what you're saying. IF they go downfield frequently enough and use the short passing game like a running game, they wouldn't necessarily be a "dink and dunk" offense.
Do you know who finished 12th in the NFL in 2016 with 52 pass plays of at least 20 yards?

That's right, ladies and germs. Your Minnesota Vikings.

That's ahead of Oakland. Ahead of Dallas. One behind Cincinnati and A.J. Green. Four behind the world champion Patriots. Five behind the great and God-like Packers.

And guess who had almost a third (16) of those 20+ yard completions? You guessed it. Adam Thielen. Only 3 behind Jordy Nelson.

If the Vikings can pass block even reasonably well (unlike last year), there's no reason to think the downfield passing game can't get even better.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Do you know who finished 12th in the NFL in 2016 with 52 pass plays of at least 20 yards?

That's right, ladies and germs. Your Minnesota Vikings.

That's ahead of Oakland. Ahead of Dallas. One behind Cincinnati and A.J. Green. Four behind the world champion Patriots. Five behind the great and God-like Packers.

And guess who had almost a third (16) of those 20+ yard completions? You guessed it. Adam Thielen. Only 3 behind Jordy Nelson.

If the Vikings can pass block even reasonably well (unlike last year), there's no reason to think the downfield passing game can't get even better.
Yeah you know I was thinking this the other day when it was mentioned our downfield passing game wasnt very good. I didnt look for the stat but I thought it was much better than what people thought. Bradford throws a really nice deep ball
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Yeah you know I was thinking this the other day when it was mentioned our downfield passing game wasnt very good. I didnt look for the stat but I thought it was much better than what people thought. Bradford throws a really nice deep ball
Happy to be of assistance. Thanks for noticing -- I've posted this 20+ yard stat about five times now, yet all I keep hearing is that we're dink-and-dunk.

The Packer Fan Who Shall Remain Nameless laughed at me when I compared Adam Thielen to Jordy Nelson. But look at these numbers.

Adam had 69 catches on 97 targets, or 71.3%. He averaged 14.0 yards per catch.

Jordy Nelson had 97 catches on 152 targets, or 63.8%. He averaged 13.0 yards per catch.

If you extrapolate Thielen's numbers to Jordy Nelson's targets, you get this:

Thielen -- 108 rec., 1,512 yards, 8 TD.
Nelson -- 97 rec., 1,257 yards, 14 TD.

Adam Thielen has arrived as a legitimate No. 1 receiver. He hasn't "proven" it yet, certainly not to the degree that Jordy the Great has. But he's on his way, and the Vikings were wise to sign him to a long-term deal. In time, barring injury, he has every chance to be just as good as Nelson. And he won't look stupid in green.

As for our passing game -- if the line can improve to even league average, and if Latavius Murray is as good a pass blocker as he's advertised to be, there's no reason the Vikings can't improve in the downfield passing game. Because you're right -- Sam Bradford throws a great deep ball. Just gotta keep him upright for more than 1.3 seconds.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Happy to be of assistance. Thanks for noticing -- I've posted this 20+ yard stat about five times now, yet all I keep hearing is that we're dink-and-dunk.

The Packer Fan Who Shall Remain Nameless laughed at me when I compared Adam Thielen to Jordy Nelson. But look at these numbers.

Adam had 69 catches on 97 targets, or 71.3%. He averaged 14.0 yards per catch.

Jordy Nelson had 97 catches on 152 targets, or 63.8%. He averaged 13.0 yards per catch.

If you extrapolate Thielen's numbers to Jordy Nelson's targets, you get this:

Thielen -- 108 rec., 1,512 yards, 8 TD.
Nelson -- 97 rec., 1,257 yards, 14 TD.

Adam Thielen has arrived as a legitimate No. 1 receiver. He hasn't "proven" it yet, certainly not to the degree that Jordy the Great has. But he's on his way, and the Vikings were wise to sign him to a long-term deal. In time, barring injury, he has every chance to be just as good as Nelson. And he won't look stupid in green.

As for our passing game -- if the line can improve to even league average, and if Latavius Murray is as good a pass blocker as he's advertised to be, there's no reason the Vikings can't improve in the downfield passing game. Because you're right -- Sam Bradford throws a great deep ball. Just gotta keep him upright for more than 1.3 seconds.
Wow thanks for the stats. Good to know!
-Chazz Palminteri
Dakotavike
Starter

Post by Dakotavike »

Side note-why do we have two threads for Free Agency discussion? I realize one was meant to be just about the actual signings but it seems to have also morphed into a discussion thread. Any thought to letting one of the threads die so we can all be on the same page. I keep bouncing between the two and see the same discussions on both threads. Just a thought.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Happy to be of assistance. Thanks for noticing -- I've posted this 20+ yard stat about five times now, yet all I keep hearing is that we're dink-and-dunk.
Perhaps people are just using that phrase differently. I don't think a dink and dunk offense is an offense that doesn't throw deep at all. I think it's an offense that relies heavily on short passing and the Vikings do.

I can't speak for anybody else but I haven't ignored the stat above when you've posted it. I just don't think it demonstrates, on it's own, that the Vikings weren't a dink and dunk offense. Consider a few other stats:

Bradford's passes traveled an average of 3.34 yards in the air last season (23rd in the league) and 52.5% of the total yards the Vikes gained on passing plays were on the run after the catch. He averaged about 6.5 adjusted yards per passing attempt (7 yards per attempt unadjusted). Those are stats are indicative of a passing game that relies primarily (not exclusively) on shorter passes.

It's not as if this perception of the offense is limited to a few frustrated fans here either:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... m-bradford
Despite the numbers, no one watching the Vikings' offense would describe it as explosive or even efficient. Behind a debilitating offensive line, Bradford had the NFL's shortest average target last season. He maddeningly threw short of the sticks on third down with regularity. The porous blocking and no run game to speak of relegated the Vikings offense to dink-and-dunk, and led a risk-averse Bradford to get rid of the ball instead of stretching the field.