2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: Worst than that... he's the weak link on the 8 sack unit.
He was forced into LT play. He's actually a decent RT
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote: Worst than that... he's the weak link on the 8 sack unit.
Nothing like signing the starting LT on a Super Bowl team. He must truly suck.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

We lost 3 of our Vikings to the Panthers. Kalil, CJ and Captain.

Would have liked to have held onto Captain too. Felt he was a key part of the defense. Will be interesting to see what Zimmer's plan will be.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

The thing about Eddie.

Is he good on short yardage?
Can he pass block?

If I remember correctly, 3rd and short was a glaring weakness in 2016.

If he can do both well, I wouldn't mind him in purple but not as the featured back. I'm sure the Vikings would but a weight clause in his contract.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
sotapopinski
Practice Squad

Post by sotapopinski »

I would be fine with the Vikes signing Lacy, so long as it isn't top 10 RB $$.

The thing that worries me about Lacy is, he would be coming from such a pass happy offense to one that would like to be more successful in the pass but still relies heavily on the run. I'm not taking anything away from him, because he's a damn good runner when healthy/in shape, but I don't see him having nearly the level of success on the Vikings as he had with the Pack.
Defenses will no longer be sitting back playing the pass like they do against GB. Has he seen half the amount of loaded boxes that AP had to face?

Lacy, McKinnon, Rookie RB group would be a-okay with me though.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

sotapopinski wrote:Lacy, McKinnon, Rookie RB group would be a-okay with me though.
It would be okay but not great. But if the Vikings get the job done on improving the entire offensive line (not just one or two positions), re-sign both Thielen and Patterson, and fit the scheme around the players, then the RB group might work.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

losperros wrote: It would be okay but not great. But if the Vikings get the job done on improving the entire offensive line (not just one or two positions), re-sign both Thielen and Patterson, and fit the scheme around the players, then the RB group might work.
I wonder if AD is waiting to see what the Vikings do to address their OL before making a final decision? I also wonder if the Vikings will wait until after the draft to try to re-sign him.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

I wonder if they really want AD back. Maybe they secretly they want him to go elsewhere so they can move on. When you account for his Age, the great RB class in the draft and they were able to get away without penalty from his contract, and the drama he and his family can bring up.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

With Bradford at the helm and Shurmur calling plays, I am not so sure that either AD or Lacy are great fits. Honestly, I haven't watched Lacy enough to see if he'd be a good fit. However, if he will stick his nose in there and block and he's able to catch out of the backfield, then... Go for it. I don't think many guys look forward to him running at them.
Bradford has outstanding arm talent. Thus I think that we find a RB that can catch. A healthy Charles, Bell, DJohnson type is what would make this offense work.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

IIsweet wrote:With Bradford at the helm and Shurmur calling plays, I am not so sure that either AD or Lacy are great fits. Honestly, I haven't watched Lacy enough to see if he'd be a good fit. However, if he will stick his nose in there and block and he's able to catch out of the backfield, then... Go for it. I don't think many guys look forward to him running at them.
Bradford has outstanding arm talent. Thus I think that we find a RB that can catch. A healthy Charles, Bell, DJohnson type is what would make this offense work.

Exactly.

Joe. Mixon.

PERFECT fit!

Size, speed, hands, elusive, oh yeah he can throw it too!

BEST BACK IN THE DRAFT! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1PkiOroeZE

Yeah I know about the off-field incident but all that means to me is that he will be there in the 2nd round (most likely).
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

RFIP wrote:
Exactly.

Joe. Mixon.

PERFECT fit!

Size, speed, hands, elusive, oh yeah he can throw it too!

BEST BACK IN THE DRAFT! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1PkiOroeZE

Yeah I know about the off-field incident but all that means to me is that he will be there in the 2nd round (most likely).

His Pro Day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUwj637K5l0
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Mixon is exactly what we need on the field....
However, I know for a fact, 100%, that I could not nor would I ever root for him in front of my daughter or my son !
What he did, regardless of what she did to provoke him, is inexcusable in my book and completely against my beliefs and how I raise my family.
I get it.... I am Old School, but no matter how good he is.... There are lots of backs that can do similar things. Maybe not as well, but I can consciously and ethically buy their jersey and feel good supporting them !

Maybe not what some want to hear, but there are many fans out there thinking the same thing.
For him, I hope that he is a model citizen, has a great career, and forever preaches what he did was wrong.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Cleaned up the last few pages and am reopening. Apologies if any posts were deleted in the crossfire. Keep the back and forth to PMs or take it to the smack shack.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

What was the deal with Mixon off the field ?

I have not followed college ball much in a while.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

jackal wrote:What was the deal with Mixon off the field ?

I have not followed college ball much in a while.
Punched a female student in the face.